Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Joe Mizzi doesn't know...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
John and Mary

CatholicXian said:
As to Mary's spiritual motherhood, the passage in John has been interpreted in such a fashion that the "beloved Disciple", John is representative of the Church, and thus, in this respect Mary becomes a spiritual mother of sorts for the Church. Now, I realize that you will perhaps disagree on this interpretation. Fair enough, much of the differences between Catholic Christianity and Protestant Christianity rests on interpretational differences. But, perhaps you can at least agree that if we take John to be symbolic of the Church in these passages, then we end up with Mary as the mother of the Church.

WOW!!! Now that is far-fetched. John never mentions this. He wrote his Gospel and three letters... did he forget to mention "Mary, the mother of the Church", the "Mediatrix"? Paul does not mention her except in Romans 1:3 and Galatians 4:4. Peter does not mention her. James does not mention her. She is not mentioned in Hebrews. Jude has no reference to her.

John said:
When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,†and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.†From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. (John 19:26-27)
Very straight forward would you not agree? John looked after Mary.

Scripture says nothing about the latter years of Mary's life, her death or her burial. Neither are there any Biblical examples of anyone praying to her or venerating her.

By the way, where is John ever represented as the Church?

:)

Chart for "Mediatrix"

CatholicXian: (trying to explain "Mediatrix")
  • For example, if I could set up a chart:
    ("-->"="ask/pray")
    You-->Friend/Family Member-->Jesus-->God
    is no different (by way of mediation) than:
    You-->Mary/Saint in Heaven-->Jesus-->God

Gary: I think the more correct analogy is like this...
  • (1) Me ----(ASKS a friend "Please pray for me")-----> Living friend
    (2) Living friend ---- (REPLIES - OK, I will) -----------> Me
    (3a) Living friend ----(PRAYS) ----> Jesus/God
    (3b) Me ---------------(PRAYS) ----> Jesus/God

Now let's try this analogy with Mary...
  • (1) You ----(PRAY)-----> Dead Mary
    (2) Dead Mary---- (REPLIES??? How?) -----------> You?
    (Does Mary answer your prayers? How do you know it is Mary?)
    (3a) Dead Mary ----(PRAYS) -----> Jesus/God
    (3b) You ------------(PRAYS) -----> Jesus/God

I do also suggest you read Deuteronomy 18:10-11 again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no Scriptural examples of living persons praying to dead persons (saints) and asking them to be "mediatrix".

Instead, the Bible refers to all believers as "saints" by virtue of their position in Christ (Ephesians 1:1). We are "sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling" (1 Corinthians 1:2).

Gary, I've stated clearly from the Catechism and other Catholic resources that only Christ is THE mediator (the ONLY mediator) between God and man.

You are stuck on Mary's role as mediatrixâ€â€you see my explanation as unsatisfactory. Fair enough. However, I believe that you misunderstand the chart. I noted that the chart is no different BY WAY OF MEDIATION. That much is true. Whether there is a friend between you and Christ, or Mary between you and Christ, the mediation is still the same. Christ is still the SOLE mediator between God and man. Christ is the only way to God. Catholicism does not deny this.

CCC 2664 " There is no other way of Christian prayer than Christ. Whether our prayer is communal or personal, vocal or interior, it has access to the Father only if we pray "in the name" of Jesus."

CCC 2634 "Intercession is a prayer of petition which leads us to pray as Jesus did. He is the one intercessor with the Father on behalf of all men, especially sinners (cf. Rom 8:34; 1 Jn 2:1, 1 Tim 2:5-8). He is "able for all time to save those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them" (Heb 7:25). The Holy Spirit "himself intercedes for us…and intercedes for the saints according to the will of God" (Rom 8:26-27)."
CCC 2635 "Since Abraham, intercessionâ€â€asking on behalf of anotherâ€â€has been characteristic of heart attuned to God's mercy. In the age of the Church, Christian intercession participates in Christ's, as an expression of the communion of saints. In intercession, he who prays looks "not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others," even to the point of praying for those who do him harm (Phil 2:4; cf. Acts 7:60; Lk 23:28, 34)."
CCC 2636 "The first Christian communities lived this form of fellowship intensely (Cf. Acts 12:5; 20:36; 21:5; 2 Cor 9:14). Thus the Apostle Paul gives them a share in his ministry of preaching the Gospel (Cf. Eph 6:18-20; Col 4:3-4; 1 Thess 5:25) but also intercedes for them (Cf. 2 Thess 1:11, Col 1:3; Phil 1:3-4). The intercession of Christians recognizes no boundaries: "for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions," for persecutors, for the salvation of those who reject the Gospel (1 Tim 2:1; cf. Rom 12:14; 10:1)."

The thing, Gary, that you and Mr. Mizzi must remember about the Catechism is that, like the Scriptures, the Catechism has context. You cannot remove one sentence, or even paragraph or section, from the entirety of the book. Each phrase in the Catechism must be taken in step with the rest of the Catechism.

However, you are also concerned with Mary's being "dead". I, and many Catholics will disagree. Those who die in Christ are not dead, but alive in Christâ€â€for God is a "God of the living and not of the dead" (Matt 22:31-32). Asking the Saints in Heaven (for, like the priesthood, there are two senses/definitions in the Catholic faith for "saint"... I am referring to those believers in Heaven in the context of this dicussion) to pray for us on earth is not necromancy as spelled out in Deuteronomy… entirely different practices, Catholics are not attempting to "seek truth from the dead"â€â€Catholics seek truth only from Him who is Truthâ€â€God. Does prayer cease in Heaven, Gary? Once we enter Heaven would it be appropriate for the Christian to simply forget those they loved still on earth? Would their love cease? No, of course not, this would be illogical. In Heaven, in the presence of Godâ€â€love Himselfâ€â€love is transformed and made perfect. The Christian would best know how to pray in Heaven, and thus is would be wise to seek their prayers for us to Christ, our Mediator to God.

Mary's spiritual motherhood…revisited.

Hopefully this time I will be able to offer you a more comprehensive response. Perhaps the event between John, Mary, and Jesus at the Cross was a bad place to start.

The basic outline for this in the Catechism is CCC 501 "Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formulation she cooperates with a mother's love" (Lumen Gentium #63; cf. Jn 19:26-27; Rom 8:29; Rev 12:17)."

In addition, typically, in Catholic theology, Mary is looked upon typologically as the "new Eve" (CCC 411)â€â€Eve "was the mother of all the living" (Gn 3:20). And thus, Mary is the new "mother of all the living" (because Mary is recognized as the woman in Revelations). Also, Jesus is recognized as the new Adam (cf. Rom 5:19-20; 1 Cor 15:21-22), thus by virtue of Mary's participation with and through Christ in regaining the life of grace for humanity she is rightly looked upon as the new Eve. Though you reject its authority, Tradition (capital "T') attests to this idea. Saint Augustine explained this relationship based on the mystical union between Christ and the faithful as such, as physical mother of Jesus, who is the spiritual head of the Church (which is the Body of Christ), Mary is thus the spiritual mother of the faithful who make up the Body of Christ (the Church).

Lastly, why the early letters (i.e., Hebrews, Jude, 1, 2, & 3 John, 1& 2 Peter) do not mention Mary… Because, before Mary, one must understand Christ. The aim of the early Church was to spread the Gospelâ€â€the Good News of Christ's passion, death, and resurrectionâ€â€that others might come to believe and be baptized. It is easy (even for some Catholics today) to become confused about Mary and the Saints, and lose sight of Christâ€â€this is because they have an improper understanding of Mary and the Saints. The role of Mary and the Saints (as I've said before) is to lead to Christ (as Mary beautifully proclaims what is commonly called the "Magnificat" in Luke's Gospel (Lk 1:46-55)).The purpose of the Scriptures is that we may come to know God through His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christâ€â€so too, this purpose stands for Mary and the Saints within the Catholic Church. Devotion to Mary and the Saints is only proper and instructed only insofar as it places the Christian back at the feet of Christ. All things must be understood in the context of Christ.

Difference between my living friend here on earth and Mary

CatholicXian: ....Whether there is a friend between you and Christ, or Mary between you and Christ, the mediation is still the same.

Gary: Not true at all. I have shown you why your analogy is incorrect. Can you speak to Mary? But more importantly, does she answer you back. Please read these diagrams carefully. See the difference? If you do not, PLEASE tell me where mine are incorrect.

CatholicXian: (trying to explain "Mediatrix")
  • For example, if I could set up a chart:
    ("-->"="ask/pray")
    You-->Friend/Family Member-->Jesus-->God
    is no different (by way of mediation) than:
    You-->Mary/Saint in Heaven-->Jesus-->God

Gary: I think the more correct analogy is like this...
  • (1) Me ----(ASKS a friend "Please pray for me")-----> Living friend
    (2) Living friend ---- (REPLIES - OK, I will) -----------> Me
    (3a) Living friend ----(PRAYS) ----> Jesus/God
    (3b) Me ---------------(PRAYS) ----> Jesus/God

Now let's try this analogy with Mary...
  • (1) You ----(PRAY)-----> Dead Mary

I have very carefully split out the communication. If you disagree, please highlight which part you disagree with.

My friends are ALIVE. I call them on the phone and ask them to pray for me. They respond to me, ask me to explain a bit more about the issue before they pray for me. Do you have that conversation with Mary? How does she talk to you? Again, please supply Scriptural proof that the Apostles or the early Christians prayed to the dead and spoke with Mary after she was dead.

.... but all of this does NOT negate the fact that there is NOTHING to support your "mediatrix" nor the dogma that Mary has "salutary influence".... whatever that means. Why not supply a bible chapter/verse to support this concept?

Gary, over and over again, I have explained that Mary's intercession does nothing to take away from the mediation of Christ. That would be impossible. Christ is our sole mediator to God.

Regarding the chart:
1) You ----(PRAY)-----> Dead Mary
The first problem with this chart is your blatent disrepect for the woman whom the Scriptures proclaim as "blessed" (Luke 1:48). Do you walk around calling those who have departed this life "Dead so-and-so"?? I realize you believe Catholics give too much attention to Mary, but your lack of respect doesn't make up for it... because Catholics give much attention to the Apostle Peter as well, are you going to start referring to him as "Dead Peter"? ... You can make your point without profaning the name of another.

So, you have a problem with Mary's earthly status (i.e., Mary is in Heaven)... I have explained this in my previous post. Those Christians who have passed from this life are not dead, but alive in Christ. Catholics are not seeking to conjure up the spirits of the dead-- Catholics are seeking the prayers of those in Heaven (in addition to their own, for Catholics should always pray directly to Christ first and foremost (CCC 2664)). Do you deny that those in Heaven pray? An angel offers the prayers of the saints to God in Revelations 5:8... thus, it would seem (as can be logically concluded) that prayer exists in Heaven. And the exhortation to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess 5:17)-- was this restricted merely to our time on earth? Why should prayer cease in Heaven... where do you find scriptural support for the cessation of prayer in Heaven? This, to me, seems to be the unbiblical idea.

From this, I ask you, Gary, to draw 3 conclusions:
1) That there is (and can only be) one mediator between God and man... Jesus Christ & that the Catholic Church teaches this, even if you disagree about secondary mediation-- for this does not violate 1 Tim 2:5. Without Christ, there is no link to God.
2) That Catholics do not "pray to dead people". Catholics are not committing the sin of necromancy. Christians who have passed from this life are alive in Christ.
and
3) That prayer does not cease in Heaven.

Mary's spiritual motherhood… rebuttal

CatholicXian: Hopefully this time I will be able to offer you a more comprehensive response. Perhaps the event between John, Mary, and Jesus at the Cross was a bad place to start.

Gary: Agreed. It had nothing to do with Mary's "spiritual motherhood" extending to all men for all time.

CatholicXian: The basic outline for this in the Catechism is CCC 501 "Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formulation she cooperates with a mother's love" (Lumen Gentium #63; cf. John 19:26-27; Romans 8:29; Revelation 12:17)."

Gary: I disagree with several points here.

(1) Jesus is NOT Mary's only son. There is no direct reference to Mary's perpetual virginity in any text of Scripture. There are clear references to Jesus' brothers and sisters in the context of his immediate family. Matthew 13:55-56 Mark 6:3-4 Matthew 12:46 Galatians 1:19 John 2:12 Mark 3:31 Luke 8:19 John 7:2-10 Acts 1:14 Galatians 2:9-12 Acts 15:13-21 1 Corinthians 9:5 etc...

Matthew writes that Joseph, after taking Mary as his wife, "kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son" (Matthew 1:25). I think that is clear enough.

(2) I care very little as to what the Lumen Gentium #63 says.... it quotes three verses NONE of which talk about Mary's "spiritual motherhood."
(a) John 19:26-27 again. "When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,†and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.†From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. " We have agreed to put that aside. Have you ever seen what the (Roman Catholic) New Jerusalem Study Bible says about these particular verses??
(b) Romans 8:29 "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." Yes, I am Jesus' brother. There is no further implication about Mary here.
(c) Revelation 12:17 "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring–those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus." The woman is Israel, the dragon is Satan.

Jesus is my Mediator ... the one and only

CatholicXian said:
Gary, over and over again, I have explained that Mary's intercession does nothing to take away from the mediation of Christ. That would be impossible. Christ is our sole mediator to God.

Gary: Claiming that Mary is a Mediatrix (female version of a Mediator) means that Jesus can NOT be the only/one Mediator.... he has a co-Mediatrix. Jesus + Mary = two Mediators. That goes directly against Scripture.

Now on to the chart. I was trying to highlight the difference between Mary (in heaven) and my friend (still here, on earth). So I will update the chart.

1) You ----(PRAY)-----> Mary (in heaven)
(2) Mary---- (REPLIES??? How?) -----------> You?
(3a) Mary -----------(PRAYS) -----> Jesus/God

CatholicXian: So, you have a problem with Mary's earthly status (i.e., Mary is in Heaven)... I have explained this in my previous post. Those Christians who have passed from this life are not dead, but alive in Christ. Catholics are not seeking to conjure up the spirits of the dead-- Catholics are seeking the prayers of those in Heaven (in addition to their own, for Catholics should always pray directly to Christ first and foremost (CCC 2664)). Do you deny that those in Heaven pray? An angel offers the prayers of the saints to God in Revelations 5:8... thus, it would seem (as can be logically concluded) that prayer exists in Heaven. And the exhortation to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess 5:17)-- was this restricted merely to our time on earth? Why should prayer cease in Heaven... where do you find scriptural support for the cessation of prayer in Heaven? This, to me, seems to be the unbiblical idea.

Gary: You missed the point again. I have no problem with Mary in heaven. That is probably true. Secondly, you falsely assume that I believe that prayer does not exist in heaven. Again, I have never claimed that. What you have not explained is step (2) above.

(2) Mary---- (REPLIES??? How?) -----------> You?

Can you not see the difference in your analogy between ASKING your friend to pray for you and PRAYING to Mary?

My friends are ALIVE and I can communicate with them in a TWO-WAY conversation. I call them on the phone and ask them to pray for me. They respond to me, ask me to explain a bit more about the issue before they pray for me.

Do you have that conversation with Mary? How does she talk to you? Is Mary omnipresent to the 1.0 billion Catholics? Again, please supply Scriptural proof that the Apostles or the early Christians prayed to people who had died and spoke or prayed to Mary after she had died.

.... but all of this does NOT negate the fact that there is NOTHING to support your "mediatrix" nor the dogma that Mary has "salutary influence".... whatever that means. Why not supply a bible chapter/verse to support this concept?

(1) Jesus is NOT Mary's only son. There is no direct reference to Mary's perpetual virginity in any text of Scripture. There are clear references to Jesus' brothers and sisters in the context of his immediate family. Matthew 13:55-56 Mark 6:3-4 Matthew 12:46 Galatians 1:19 John 2:12 Mark 3:31 Luke 8:19 John 7:2-10 Acts 1:14 Galatians 2:9-12 Acts 15:13-21 1 Corinthians 9:5 etc...
I disagree. The passages you referenced say "brother", but the Greek word "Adelphos" also means "cousin"-- it does not necessarily imply a direct blood relative. It was common to call people not directly related one's "brother" in the Old Testament (cf. Gen 13:8; 14:16; 29:15)

Matthew writes that Joseph, after taking Mary as his wife, "kept her a virgin until she gave birt to a Son" (Matthew 1:25). I think that is clear enough.
:roll:
And Jesus said, "I am with you always, until the end of the age" (Matt 28:20). Does this mean at some point Jesus will not always be with us?

The perpetual virginity of Mary flows necessarily from her being the mother of Jesus. By virtue of Christ's presence in her womb, the womb of Mary was necessarily sanctified in a very special way. For a time, Mary was the tabernacle-- to have other children after Jesus passed through her womb would be to desecrate the place where God dwelled for a time.

(2) I care very little as to what the Lumen Gentium #63 says.... it quotes three verses NONE of which talk about Mary's "spiritual motherhood."
Context...
(a) John 19:26-27 again. "When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,†and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.†From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. " We have agreed to put that aside. Have you ever seen what the (Roman Catholic) New Jerusalem Study Bible says about these particular verses??
I was putting in the quote as reference from the Catechism itself. We disagree on interpretation on this matter. What more can be done here? (for the time being).

(b) Romans 8:29 "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." Yes, I am Jesus' brother. There is no further implication about Mary here.
Context, context! This part was directly referring to Jesus as mentioned in the context of the paragraph from the Catechism...

(c) Revelation 12:17 "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring–those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus." The woman is Israel, the dragon is Satan.
This, we've previously discussed. The woman in this passage is held to representative of Mary.

You missed the point again. I have no problem with Mary in heaven. That is probably true. Secondly, you falsely assume that I believe that prayer does not exist in heaven. Again, I have never claimed that. What you have not explained is step (2) above.
Fair enough, for now.

Can you not see the difference in your analogy between ASKING your friend to pray for you and PRAYING to Mary?
By "pray" with regards to those in Heaven, Catholics do not use that term in the sense of worship (due to God alone). By praying to those in Heaven, Catholics are asking those in Heaven for their prayers to Christ for those on earth.

My friends are ALIVE and I can communicate with them in a TWO-WAY conversation. I call them on the phone and ask them to pray for me. They respond to me, ask me to explain a bit more about the issue before they pray for me.
Like I said, those in Heaven are alive in Christ.

Do you have that conversation with Mary? How does she talk to you? Is Mary omnipresent to the 1.0 billion Catholics? Again, please supply Scriptural proof that the Apostles or the early Christians prayed to people who had died and spoke or prayed to Mary after she had died.
Mary, and those in Heaven are not omnipresent/able to hear the prayers of those on earth by their own power. It is by a sharing in God's omnipotent/omnipresent/etc. power (since, in Heaven they are united with God) that those in Heaven are able to hear the prayers of those on earth.
Tell me, when you pray to God to do hear an audible voice? Do you see Him? Or do you trust and know that God hears you because He loves you and is all powerful/etc.?
Again, this does not imply that those in Heaven are able to do (for lack of a better word at the moment) "miraculous" things of their own strength.. but only in and through and because they are united to the One who is omnipotent/etc.

If, as you have stated, you do not believe that prayer ceases in Heaven, what do you think those in Heaven pray for? How do they know what to pray for? Is it not through God and God's omnipotence?

Praying to God in Jesus' name vs praying to Mary

CatholicXian: Tell me, when you pray to God to do hear an audible voice?

Gary: No. Do you?

CatholicXian: Do you see Him?

Gary: No. Do you?

CatholicXian: Or do you trust and know that God hears you because He loves you and is all powerful/etc.?

Gary: I don't only trust that. I know that. I have experienced answered prayer. I have experienced God speaking to me in many ways as I pray and read the Bible and worship Him in His Son, Jesus Christ's name. So I have experience and the Word of God.

IF I prayed to Mary, I would be doing something which is NOT Scriptural. It would mean that I have invoked another Mediator, a co-Mediator, a Mediatrix. That goes directly against Scripture. I have no need to pray to Mary.

But then again I may be wrong.

"Lord, I come before you now with an open heart. So many times you have shown me the path; corrected my thinking, especially about You...Lord. I thank You for that. Abba, I love you and I rest in Your arms again. I have a question Abba. Lord, I pray that You again help me. Lord, if I am meant to pray to Mary, please reveal that path to me. Please point me to the Scriptures which show me how to do that. Holy Spirit, lead. I am Yours.

"Lord, You are awesome and You reign. I will do what you want me to do.

"I pray this in your precious Son, my Lord and Saviour's name... Jesus Christ.

"Maranatha!!! --- come quickly!"

Your adopted son, Gary

Jesus' brothers and sisters

Gary said:
Jesus is NOT Mary's only son. There is no direct reference to Mary's perpetual virginity in any text of Scripture. There are clear references to Jesus' brothers and sisters in the context of his immediate family. Matthew 13:55-56 Mark 6:3-4 Matthew 12:46 Galatians 1:19 John 2:12 Mark 3:31 Luke 8:19 John 7:2-10 Acts 1:14 Galatians 2:9-12 Acts 15:13-21 1 Corinthians 9:5 etc...

CatholicXian said:
I disagree. The passages you referenced say "brother", but the Greek word "Adelphos" also means "cousin"-- it does not necessarily imply a direct blood relative. It was common to call people not directly related one's "brother" in the Old Testament (cf. Gen 13:8; 14:16; 29:15)

Norman Geisler and Ralph MacKenzie write....

"....There are clear references to Jesus’ brothers and sisters in the context of his immediate family (namely, his legal father and actual mother), which almost always indicate they were actual brothers, not cousins, as many Roman Catholics believe.

"For example, Matthew 13:55 declares: “Is he not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother Mary and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Are not his sisters all with us?†(cf. Matthew 12:46 and Galatians 1:19). There are several reasons why this text almost certainly indicates that Mary had other children after Jesus:
  • (a) For one thing, “brothers†and “sisters†are mentioned in the context of the family with the “carpenter’s son†and “mother,†which clearly indicates they are immediate blood brothers.

(b) For another, the Greek term for “brother†(adelphos) here is the normal word for “blood brother.†In fact, there is no a single example where adelphos is used for “cousin†in the New Testament.

(c) There is a word for “cousin†(anepsios), as in Colossians 4:10, where Mark is described as “the cousin [anepsios] of Barnabas.†But this word is not used in Matthew 13 or in any passage referring to Jesus’ brothers and sisters.

(d) Finally, the words “brother†and “sister†are used many other times in the New Testament in a family connection, always meaning a literal blood brother or sister (Mark 1:16, Mark 1:19; Mark 13:12; John 11:1-2; Acts 23:16; Romans 16:15).

Source: Geisler, N. L., & MacKenzie, R. E. (1995). Roman Catholics and Evangelicals : Agreements and differences (Page 302).

Gary_Bee said:
Gary: I don't only trust that. I know that.
Hey, give me some credit! I said "trust and know"...

IF I prayed to Mary, I would be doing something which is NOT Scriptural. It would mean that I have invoked another Mediator, a co-Mediator, a Mediatrix. That goes directly against Scripture. I have no need to pray to Mary.
1) "co" in this sense does not mean "equal", rather it means "with". Just as when you ask a friend on earth to pray for you-- he is a co-Mediator. He is mediating with and through Christ (the sole mediator between God and man).

But then again I may be wrong.

"Lord, I come before you now with an open heart. So many times you have shown me the path; corrected my thinking, especially about You...Lord. I thank You for that. Abba, I love you and I rest in Your arms again. I have a question Abba. Lord, I pray that You again help me. Lord, if I am meant to pray to Mary, please reveal that path to me. Please point me to the Scriptures which show me how to do that. Holy Spirit, lead. I am Yours.

Your adopted son, Gary
First you disrespect a "blessed" woman's name. Next, you make a mockery of prayer! What's next?!?

Typing out sincere prayers on the computer, fine. But to type out sarcastic imitations in an effort put on some sort of pharisaical demonstration is profaning something holy and sacred... I just don't get it.

You are allowed to disagree with the fact that some Catholics choose to ask Saints in Heaven for their intercession-- you don't, however, have to make a mockery of it with something dear to all Christians.

AND, as a disclaimer, if that was a sincere 'prayer'... what was the purpose of typing it up for all to see?

Prayer

Gary_Bee said:
CatholicXian said:
... "co" in this sense does not mean "equal", rather it means "with". Just as when you ask a friend on earth to pray for you-- he is a co-Mediator. He is mediating with and through Christ (the sole mediator between God and man).
Gary: I do not call my wife "Mediatrix" when she prays for me. Can you see the difference? I have ONE Mediator and I have NO Mediatrix. By your logic I should be calling my wife "Mediatrix" as well. Obviously, that is totally un-Scriptural.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary_Bee said:
But then again I may be wrong (about Mary).

Your adopted son, Gary

CatholicXian said:
... First you disrespect a "blessed" woman's name. Next, you make a mockery of prayer! What's next?!?

Typing out sincere prayers on the computer, fine. But to type out sarcastic imitations in an effort put on some sort of pharisaical demonstration is profaning something holy and sacred... I just don't get it.
Gary: So again you make incorrect assumptions and false accusations. Do you always do this? Please show me what is false about that prayer? I prayed it to my Lord and shared it with you. I prayed it in Jesus' name. Are you always so quick to be judgemental about Christian's prayers?

CatholicXian said:
... You are allowed to disagree with the fact that some Catholics choose to ask Saints in Heaven for their intercession-- you don't, however, have to make a mockery of it with something dear to all Christians.
Gary: There is no mockery in my prayer. It is there for you to see. I prayed it last night. Yes, I disagree with you praying to any saints in heaven (that includes all Christians; we are all saints!). I have asked several times for you to give me Scriptural justification of your praying to Mary or praying to other Christians who have died. You have not yet given me those verses. If praying to Mary is correct, I know God will show me that. I trust the Lord and He has answered my prayers many times. That is why I can and do pray to Him.

CatholicXian said:
AND, as a disclaimer, if that was a sincere 'prayer'... what was the purpose of typing it up for all to see?
Gary: What is wrong with this prayer? I have often prayed openly with and for people here online. In fact, praying online is how I came to saving faith in November 1999. I am eternally grateful that Christians were able and did pray openly for me online and in chat. If you would prefer my prayers to be IM only, please initiate an IM and we can pray together. I would like that.

:) :)

Keeping your eyes on Jesus...... or Mary??

CatholicXian said:
Also, you must remember to keep in mind CCC 487-- that all teachings of the Catholic Church in regards to Mary are meant to illumine Jesus, her son, and the Savior of the world. The stress in Marian doctrines is not on Mary, but ultimately on God.

Gary: You quote both the CCC and the Sixteen Documents of Vatican II. In Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution of the Church - Nov 21 1964) from which you have already quoted, I find it rather contradictory to your stance taken above. Should we keep our eyes and focus on Jesus or Mary? Let us look at what Lumen Gentium says:

".... the followers of Christ still strive to increase in holiness by conquering sin (cf. Ephesians 5:27). And so they turn their eyes to Mary, who shines forth to the whole community of the elect as the model of virtues. Piously meditating on her and contemplating her in the light of the Word made man, the Church with reverence enters more intimately into the great mystery of the Incarnation and becomes more and more like her spouse...."

etc

:o :o :o

That is on page 193 (#65) in my version, just before the section IV The Cult of the Blessed Virgin in the Church.

It's opening paragraph of that section says it all....

The Cult of the Blessed Virgin in the Church said:
#66. Placed by the grace of God, as God's Mother, next to her Son and exalted above all angels and men, Mary intervened in the mysteries of Christ and is justly honored by a special cult in the (Roman Catholic) Church.

Again, rather than trusting the CCC or the Lumen Gentium, I turn to the Scriptures and like the Bereans (Acts 17:10-12), search the Scriptures to see if what is taught is true.

And again, the Roman Catholic Church teaches something which is contrary to the Word of God, the Bible. I find the following passage in Hebrews 12:2

The author of Hebrews said:
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Keeping your eyes on Jesus...... or Mary??
  • Bible: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus.....

RCC/CCC/The-Cult-of-the-Blessed-Virgin: "And so they turn their eyes to Mary.....

Hi, Gary... I apologize for the delay in responding to you, however, the middle of the week is VERY crazy for me (college classes... I'm sure you understand).

Prayer
I do not call my wife "Mediatrix" when she prays for me. Can you see the difference? I have ONE Mediator and I have NO Mediatrix. By your logic I should be calling my wife "Mediatrix" as well. Obviously, that is totally un-Scriptural.
You still see Mary and/or the Saints as replacing Jesus as Mediator. I have already explained... this is not the Catholic position. It is impossible to have another Mediator between man and God other than Jesus Christ. Jesus as Mediator does not exclude co-Mediators (again, 'co' does not mean 'equal')-- Jesus is always necessary to reach God. I am not sure how I can make this any clearer to you?
So again you make incorrect assumptions and false accusations. Do you always do this? Please show me what is false about that prayer? I prayed it to my Lord and shared it with you. I prayed it in Jesus' name. Are you always so quick to be judgemental about Christian's prayers?
You never answered my question (i.e., what was the purpose of posting for all to see?). There is a LARGE difference between telling another that you'll pray for them, and posting such a prayer. But this prayer (in light of this discussion) did not seem to be entirely sincere. You have rejected practically, if not, all that I have said in regards to the intercession of Mary and the Saints in Heaven.
Not all prayer is private (i.e., Matt 6:6), but normally public prayers involve more than just one's own self and God, but include those around them... this was what led me to question the sincerity.
However, perhaps I was rash in ascribing insincerity and pharisaical attributes to your prayer, and if that be the true case, then I hope you will accept my sincere apologies.

Mary
You quote both the CCC and the Sixteen Documents of Vatican II. In Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution of the Church - Nov 21 1964) from which you have already quoted, I find it rather contradictory to your stance taken above. Should we keep our eyes and focus on Jesus or Mary? Let us look at what Lumen Gentium says:

".... the followers of Christ still strive to increase in holiness by conquering sin (cf. Ephesians 5:27). And so they turn their eyes to Mary, who shines forth to the whole community of the elect as the model of virtues. Piously meditating on her and contemplating her in the light of the Word made man, the Church with reverence enters more intimately into the great mystery of the Incarnation and becomes more and more like her spouse...."
Again, you seem to have forgotten that all must be taken in context (and you will note I have emphasized some parts you seem to have overlooked). The point, even of devotion to Mary ALWAYS points back to Christ. IF it does not, then it is not true/pure devotion to Mary as taught by the Catholic Church. Plain and simple.

Secondly, in your issues with Lumen Gentium, do not be shocked by the word "cult"-- it has a MUCH different conotation than it does today. Catholicism uses beautifully archaic language often, and so one must remember to keep a proper perspective on things.

By fixing one's eyes on Mary, the eyes NECESSARILY become fixed on Him who saved her... proper devotion to Mary leads one straight to Christ. One cannot look at Mary and not see Jesus, her Son, who more than just changed the world... He redeemed it.

When we see Mary in the Scriptures... we see Christ (Lk 1:28 and following, Lk 1:40 and following, Lk 2:7, Lk 2:35, Lk 2:51, John 2:3, John 19:26-27, Acts 1:14, etc., etc.). This is also how Catholic devotion to Mary is to be properly understood. All Marian devotion/dogma/doctrine/etc. is meant solely to lead the believer to her Son, Jesus Christ.

A return to 2 previous passages of Scripture
John 19:26-27
As this takes place in the context of Calvary, we must remember something... everything that happened on Calvary had a universal significance. Jesus calls Mary, His mother, "woman"--this too has great significance. Jesus identifies Mary as the "woman" of Scripture-- the woman Isaiah prophesied, the woman in Genesis (3:15), the woman at Cana, and now, the woman at Calvary... The passage ends "And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home"-- except, 'home' is not in the Greek, the Greek ends with 'own'-- John took her into his 'own'--his self (his inner self). John, in his universal significance in his presence at Calvary represents not just himself, but the beloved disciple, whom all Christians should strive to be through imitation of Christ, he represents all humanity. This is why Catholics believe in the spiritual motherhood of Mary... Jesus' giving of His mother to John, was representative of giving Mary as mother to all humanity.

We even see this in the early Christian catacombs, among many other dipictions of Biblical events and figures found on the tombs, gravesites, naves, etc.... I remember from my trips to Rome (where many of the early Christians were martyred), most notably in the catacombs of St. Agnes there is a depiction of Mary atop an arch above an ancient altar with arms outstretched with Peter on one side, and Paul on the other-- showing that she is the mother of the Apostolic Church.

Revelations 12:1 (and more)
Yes, the woman represents the Church. However, first and foremost, the woman represents Mary. Why? Because ONLY Mary (NOT the Church) gave birth to the male child. The Church did not give birth to Jesus, Mary did-- this much is scripturally explicit.
"clothed with the sun"... the sun is an image of the Son who gives light, power, sustinence, etc.
"with the moon under her feet".. Mary is often called the moon because the moon reflects the light of the sun (/Son) without being its source or dimming the light... it is a wonderful reflection of the sun (/Son). This is Mary's role within the Catholic Church.

Hopefully this clears up many issues. Again, remember I am also busy with college work during much of the middle of the week, so my responses may not be as frequent as on the weekends. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Hi... don't worry about the time it takes to respond... I do understand!

Mediator = Jesus, Mediatrix = Mary....

my wife = Mediatrix, my departed granny = Mediatrix?

Gary said:
I do not call my wife "Mediatrix" when she prays for me. Can you see the difference? I have ONE Mediator and I have NO Mediatrix. By your logic I should be calling my wife "Mediatrix" as well. Obviously, that is totally un-Scriptural.

CatholicXian said:
You still see Mary and/or the Saints as replacing Jesus as Mediator. I have already explained... this is not the Catholic position. It is impossible to have another Mediator between man and God other than Jesus Christ. Jesus as Mediator does not exclude co-Mediators (again, 'co' does not mean 'equal')-- Jesus is always necessary to reach God. I am not sure how I can make this any clearer to you?

It is very clear to me. The CCC calls Mary "Mediatrix", the female Mediator. Scripture says that there is only ONE Mediator between us and God. Jesus Christ. You affrim that position. There is only ONE mediator.

Then you claim co-Mediators. That is not what the CCC calls Mary... she is called Mediatrix. I have asked why my wife cannot be called Mediatrix as well. You have not answered that.

I believe my Granny is in heaven. By your logic, I can call her Mediatrix. Should I pray to her? Please show me the Scripture which shows believers praying to those who have departed. Where is the example?

Muhammad accepted Jesus as a prophet. Why not pray to Muhammad?

Your idea that all these people are co-Mediators is not in the CCC. None of them are called co-Mediators or co-Mediatrix. Only Mary is called Mediatrix. Is there only one Mediatrix?

First Mediatrix.... now part of the "saving office"!!!
...her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation!!!!

Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 969, affirms that Mary is a Mediatrix:

CCC 969 said:
Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation.... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.

In contrast, the Bible declares that there is one mediator:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

Mary, you say, is Mediatrix because she prays for us, just as we pray for one another. Then my wife is Mediatrix and so is my granny!

Apart from the fact that the Bible does not mention anything about Mary and the saints in heaven praying for us, our intercessions does not make us as mediators of salvation. Jesus is mediator because he gave himself on the cross as a ransom, paying the price for the liberty of his people. He reconciles man with God because He took away sin.

We may certainly pray for one another, but ultimately your salvation or damnation depends on your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:36). All the prayers of all the saints in heaven and earth, and all the curses of all the lost and all the demons in hell, cannot secure or threaten your salvation if you are resting by faith on Christ Jesus.

Contrary to the fanciful human imaginations, the Bible teaches that Jesus is the mediator of the new coventant (Hebrews 12:24); He is the door to salvation (John 10:9); and all God's grace and kindness are given "through Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:7); no-one is saved through Mary; all are saved who call on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13).

Jesus = Saviour, Mary = "saving office" and "salutary influence"....

Mary has no "saving office". If she does, please show me the Scriptures which give her this new and added ability.

The Scriptures again expose the RCC's error:

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

You have still not explained the term "salutary influence"....

CCC 970 said:
But the Blessed Virgin's salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it."

Roman Catholicism teaches that Mary has "salutary influence".... whatever that means. Why not supply a bible chapter/verse to support this concept?

http://www.justforcatholics.org/a78.htm

For there is ONE God, and ONE mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

RCC logic: Jesus as Mediator does not exclude co-Mediators (again, 'co' does not mean 'equal')-- Jesus is always necessary to reach God.

By that logic, ONE Mediator no longer means ONE Mediator. ONE is no longer exclusive.

It now means.....

ONE-Mediator = ONE-Mediator(Jesus) + SECONDARY-Mediators[Mediatrix(Mary) + Saints]

Why can't female saints be called Mediatrix as well? Why can't male saints be called Mediator as well? Then when questioned about multiple Mediators, you can again hide behind the man-made dogma that they are only secondary Mediators.

Now please apply that same logic to the other ONE in the passage, ONE God.

:-?

The problem is that the catholic understanding of "Mediator" is different from the Biblical meaning of the word.

Jesus is the MEDIATOR of the new Covenant, this means that it is through Him ONLY that the New Covenant is enacted. He it is that Arbitrates on our behalf to the Father. It is the blood that He shed that pays the price of our sins, it is by His stripes and bruises that we are healed. This is what makes Him the ONLY mediator.

This is more than a simple Intercessor, one who prays on behalf of others.

In my capacity as a priest of God I can make prayers on the behalf of others--I cannot mediate between the Father and others, nor can anyone else--nor Mary nor any of the dead in Christ!

Heb 9:15 ¶ And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Only ONE can mediate--the One that died and shed His blood as the Vicarious sacrifice for sins.

Only Jesus is worthy.

Mary is NOT!

Gary,
(after this post it will most likely be a while before I will be able to respond--tomorrow is a BUSY day... classes from 8am-5:30pm!)

You are still assuming that 'co' means 'equal'--it does not. Mary's intercession, Mary's mediation, etc. is NOT on the same level as Christ's. The Saints are mediatiors--in the sense of CO-mediators... just as your family/friends on earth are mediators in this sense. They are not on an equal level with Jesus, nor do they intercede between you and God-- they intercede between you and Jesus-- just as Mary and the Saints do.

There is only one mediator between God and man. But we can (and often do!) ask others to mediate between us and Christ. This does not mean that we don't pray to Christ ourselves, but only that we are bringing more people to pray to Christ with and for us. I fail to see how this is a "bad" thing.

In one sense, evanman was correct-- Catholics are using a different definition of mediation-- but only with regards to the mediation of those who possess only secondary mediation. And I also disagree, co-mediators/secondary mediation is in the Catechism (implicitly). The Saints in Heaven who pray for us on earth are interceding--and in a sense (the same sense that Mary mediates) mediating between us and Christ (WITH us), while Christ is our (man's) mediator between God.

Now, before you throw the objection that we need no mediator between us and Christ.. that is true. But it can't, and doesn't hurt to have more people praying for us and others.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back