Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

John Calvin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

abide

I never really gave much attention to the teaching of Calvinism but recently was looking at the history of the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa. This church has been heavily influenced by this man. I am now seriously studying the whole teaching of this theologian and the church he founded.
I had always believed the instrument of persecution was ONLY at the hand of the Romish Church but read recently that.

“Michael Servetus, Spanish physician and theologian whose unorthodox teachings led to his condemnation as a heretic by both Protestants and Roman Catholics and to his execution by Calvinists from Geneva… In [his] book, Servetus argued that both God the Father and Christ His Son had been dishonored by the Constantinian promulgation of the Nicene Creed, thus obscuring the redemptive role of Christ and bringing about the fall of the church. Servetus felt he could restore the church by separating it from the state and by using only those theological formulations that could be proved from Scripture and the pre-Constantinian fathers… [Servetus was] tried for heresy from August 14 to October 25, 1553. Calvin played a prominent part in the trial and pressed for execution... Despite his intense biblicism and his wholly Christocentric view of the universe, Servetus was found guilty of heresy, mainly on his views of the Trinity and baptism. He was burned alive at Champel on October 27. His execution produced a Protestant controversy on imposing the death penalty for heresy [and] drew severe criticism upon John Calvin…†(Servetus, Michael, in: The New Encyclopedia Britannica, 1990. Volume 10, p. 654).

“Michael Servetus… found that the expression of his opinions, which finally came to include a denial of infant baptism and of original sin, was as obnoxious to the Protestants as to the Catholics… On August 13, 1553, he was arrested in Geneva by the magistrates on a charge of blasphemy and heresy... Calvin being especially urgent and emphatic on the necessity for putting Servetus to death. Indeed, Calvin had indicated earlier that if Servetus came to Geneva, he would do his best to prevent him from leaving alive†(Servetus, Michael, in: The Encyclopedia Americana: International Edition, 1992. Volume 24 p. 584).

As Christians we must be willing to do what the bible says, search the scriptures like the Bereans did. So often they are those who hold on to beliefs and are unwilling to check what they believe with the word of God.

What he did was in line with what the papacy did. Today many still cling to the unbiblical teaching of Calvinism and other human man made beliefs. Sometimes nepotism can cause us to remain in an organisation that we see clearly is diametrically opposed to what the bible says. Many have been raised in such an community, have parents, grandparents, whole families within this system and many are afraid to break with tradition.
Not only is Calvinism's teaching unbiblical, but many of the teachings of the Seventh Day Adventist church, Jehovah's Witnesses etc.

False doctrine mixed with truth is more difficult to detect. We all need spiritual discernment to see what is false from what is true.

Re: John Calvinl

Hi abide, I like your post but I would like to comment on your last statement.
Discernment of false doctrine is so important.
I feel that those of us who can detect false doctrine need to press forward in a loving manner and present the truth.
It is not easy.
I am faced with it continually.
That is the importance of praying and putting on the armor of God when we start our day.
I feel as though I could sit and talk to you about this all day.
Happy New Year!

[video=youtube;h7-YQ9WZmw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7-YQ9WZmw8[/video]

So Agape, what is your opinion of that clip? To me it seems that they are trying to justify what Calvin did and downplay his role in the death of Servetus. Based on what I've read about Calvin, I'm afraid I can't agree with these folks.

Its tough to get a sense of what happened and how Calvin really felt about it in this day. We can scan all the internet articles, and they are all slanted one way or another. From what I can make of all it, Calvin turned him in, was consenting to his death, but didn't want him to be burned at the stake. He suggested beheading him.

I've read a lot of Calvin's work, and in ways I do admire him, and in others, I don't. IF WHAT I FOUND is true about him, he was as guilty and responsible for the death of Servetus as any other man, and more so. Death at the hands of an inquisition -- whether it be Catholic or Protestant (and they both are guilty) -- is wrong. Until someone can convince me otherwise (which I am open to), Calvin was a brilliant theologian who was a very shady character; waving a flag of reformation in one town and making friends with the RCC (whom he spoke against) in another town.

So Agape, what is your opinion of that clip? To me it seems that they are trying to justify what Calvin did and downplay his role in the death of Servetus. Based on what I've read about Calvin, I'm afraid I can't agree with these folks.

Its tough to get a sense of what happened and how Calvin really felt about it in this day. We can scan all the internet articles, and they are all slanted one way or another. From what I can make of all it, Calvin turned him in, was consenting to his death, but didn't want him to be burned at the stake. He suggested beheading him.

I've read a lot of Calvin's work, and in ways I do admire him, and in others, I don't. IF WHAT I FOUND is true about him, he was as guilty and responsible for the death of Servetus as any other man, and more so. Death at the hands of an inquisition -- whether it be Catholic or Protestant (and they both are guilty) -- is wrong. Until someone can convince me otherwise (which I am open to), Calvin was a brilliant theologian who was a very shady character; waving a flag of reformation in one town and making friends with the RCC (whom he spoke against) in another town.
Hi Slider and Happy New Year!
The truth is that i don't know much about Calvin, and do agree with you that people in that video were trying to defend him but I think it is important to hear both sides to have a balanced view.

The Doctrines of Grace, Tulip are key Truthes of the Gospel, it matters not about calvins personal history, that is irrelavent !

We all know the writer of any story, any happening, has geared the writings to cause the reader to come to the same conclusion as the writer... Some place in the middle is most likely more true then either side.

I'm happy that abide has the resources and time to study Calvin and our history. I for one cannot respond as Agape can't because I simply haven't studied the matter. I do think we could benefit greatly from our brothers and sisters of the past and am looking forward to its study. Thanks for sharing abide and Agape.

- Davies

Hi abide, I like your post but I would like to comment on your last statement.
Discernment of false doctrine is so important.
I feel that those of us who can detect false doctrine need to press forward in a loving manner and present the truth.
It is not easy.
I am faced with it continually.
That is the importance of praying and putting on the armor of God when we start our day.
I feel as though I could sit and talk to you about this all day.
Happy New Year!

A wonderful year to you too:wave

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back