Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Joining Bible Quiz Bee

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

zadaqom

I will be joining a National Bible Quiz Bee which will be held on July 15,2011(Elimination Round). The school head invited me for such event. At first, I was kind of excited; I was already a bible reader, that would greatly help. We are a group of three. Now, there are three categories: a) Old Testament, b) The Four Gospels, and c) Acts of the Apostles, the Pauline Letters and the rest of the New Testament writings. We agreed with my groupmates to divide the area where we should focus studying on. I really want to study anywhere in the New Testament(NT)-- because this is where I am familiarized, and this is where I've started reading the Bible (I've started from Matthew up to Revelation) even before this event made known to me, I just wanted to review and come back--that would make it easy. And other than that, I thought of the Old Testament(OT) having dangers in teachings because there might some doctrines before that have been nullified or have been changed when Jesus came--I do not point this as a whole but as only for some particulars. I know there are good and, I believe, still prescribed law in the OT until now, for I have read some of those. I just want to avoid poison and things that might be snare, and just stick to the one which the law have been revised. (Clarify me if I have a wrong belief or interpretation on this). But my groupmates want to study on NT as well, one for the division b, one for c (as I have stated earlier) because it were short compared to the OT. I once tried to assign one of the two to study OT but she didn't agree. So, this leaves me to force myself handling this area. So I just receded and take that place. Besides I was kind of visited by a thought that if one of them touches the OT area, she might be the one which will be poisoned for a law that is not prescribed anymore or has been changed, as I interpreted. And since I have the knowledge(just a bit) of NT, I know, I should be careful. But still, I really want to avoid that trap for I know, though I have a knowledge on NT, I am not fully intact on its teachings-- not that I intentionally avoid it but because my memory is not so fine that I would remember everything I have learned, and by that, be prone to snare.

(I'm thinking of switching the area of focus later,but I'm hesitant if it's a good idea. I also thought of searching for materials like an OT questionnare that could help me or Bible Questionnare for the whole group, but I don't know where or what's the good one)

Now I started studying from Genesis, I'm still on Chapter 3. I'm kind of slow on it, I just study for a particular time of the day, not have I tried to spend whole day or night or even half day for it. For I think,just as I have said, I am not hoping to remember everything I have read if for say I will study everything in Genesis for a day and Exodus the other day, and so on. And I'm also trying to learn by heart not only by mind.

The main reason why I posted this thread is to ask for some advice that you could give me in how to study the OT for this Bible Quiz Bee in just almost 2 months(It's coming!) or how should I manage this. Should I change my method? What method? Or could you give me a good study habit, that could help? Do you know some websites or materials for studying? Or just any comment regarding this?

I know praying is best ,but I think, as we pray one should strive/work for what he finds. And through prayer, if what he seeks is the will of Him, then, it will be found.

Any kind response will be treated as a support.Thank you. :)

If the 3 of you are going to be a team dividing the subjects up just makes sense.

Find which topic each of you excel in.

As for reading the OT. Most often we read books from the beginning to the end. To my thinking the NT makes the OT come alive AND the OT makes the NT come alive. They work together. You will see many pictures of Christ in the OT.

Numbers is a hard book to read Exodus is a great book this just my opinion.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back