Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Joint motivation: "wife, sister-in-law and their mother all have the same tattoo"?

Tattoo motivation: personal or influenced by family, etc?

• Any tattoo of mine would be completely personal

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Any tattoo of mine might be influenced by family, etc

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Any tattoo of mine would be equally personally and family (etc.) motivated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

farouk

On another thread RockyVanRen said:
.My wife, sister-in-law and their mother all have the same tattoo on the same place. I got mine foremost for myself. It just so happened that I used them once when I was talking to a friend. We get used by God in interesting ways.
For some people, their tattoos — especially faith based ones — are very much an individual motivation, but it seems that increasingly also for many people the motivation is collective: they are influenced by family members.

I wondered if any tattoo that people may have, or eventually get, would likely be a personally motivated one, or motivated by a family member?

Re: Joint motivation: "wife, sister-in-law and their mother all have the same tattoo"

Mine are Marine Corps driven and inspired. I will be adding a faith based one eventually.

Re: Joint motivation: "wife, sister-in-law and their mother all have the same tattoo"

Okay, so 4 votes so far; thanks, guys. Keep them coming.

At this point, I'll probably never get one, but if I did, I'd probably at least check with my wife to make sure she didn't hate it.

At this point, I'll probably never get one, but if I did, I'd probably at least check with my wife to make sure she didn't hate it.

Speculative:

Ty for your comment.

I guess a lot would depend on whether she dislikes all tattoos, period, or whether she can see the art value of, or reason for, certain designs, whether on others or herself. Blessings.

I chose, “Any tattoo of mine might be influenced by family, etc.”
<O:tongue</O:tongue
Two of my five tattoos are personal, but the other three have my wife’s name on them.

I chose, “Any tattoo of mine might be influenced by family, etc.”
<i><o:tongue</o</i>
Two of my five tattoos are personal, but the other three have my wife’s name on them.

tandemcpl:

Ty.

You guys are sure jointly committed to ink.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm one of the voters who picked: Any tattoo of mine might be influenced by family, etc.

If my mother and older sister decided that we should all get tattoos marking the only little family we've ever had, I'd probably be down with that. We girls have been through so much together, and if they wanted to do that, I'd prayerfully consider it and run it by God first.

The only other situation would be a faith based tattoo, and while I really don't think He'd want that, I do have a design in mind in case a gun is ever put to my head.

I'm one of the voters who picked: Any tattoo of mine might be influenced by family, etc.

If my mother and older sister decided that we should all get tattoos marking the only little family we've ever had, I'd probably be down with that. We girls have been through so much together, and if they wanted to do that, I'd prayerfully consider it and run it by God first.

The only other situation would be a faith based tattoo, and while I really don't think He'd want that, I do have a design in mind in case a gun is ever put to my head.

a54;

Thanks for your comment. When it comes to a tattoo, the person should never feel compelled. But it's interesting how it seems to have become a family solidarity thing for women, sisters and moms.

Of course, if all have the same faith motivation, I guess they could all be the same faith related design, right? in theory.

It is interesting, I did notice that.

I totally agree, no one should be forced at all. And I know my family is made of God fearing, Bible believing women, so your theory is very plausible.

It is interesting, I did notice that.

I totally agree, no one should be forced at all. And I know my family is made of God fearing, Bible believing women, so your theory is very plausible.

a54:

Sounds like you find it an interesting trend, anyway (and maybe you even welcome it).

So is this something that the women in your family might evenutally do? or maybe you'd be willing to encourage them to participate in?

I do find it interesting. I think it can be a touching way to manifest what's inside (faith, familial love, etc.) in an outward way. I feel tattoos can be beautiful if done the right way for the right reasons.

I think we would if we could. We're busy and don't get to spend time all together that much. One could argue that that is a good reason to do it. But the thing is we're also all on the verge of doing something new career wise. I'll be declaring my major as nursing soon. My mother's currently switching majors to be a medical technician of some sort. My sister's currently thinking about making a career change and isn't sure what she wants to go to school for.

But one could argue that a small, conservative tattoo in a more concealed area would be fine. And if it is of a faith-based nature, there may be plenty of workplaces that can't say much to you about it.

Speculative:

Ty for your comment.

I guess a lot would depend on whether she dislikes all tattoos, period, or whether she can see the art value of, or reason for, certain designs, whether on others or herself. Blessings.
Well, she's not against all tattoos. I just think she might not like certain ones, or ones that are too big.

I do find it interesting. I think it can be a touching way to manifest what's inside (faith, familial love, etc.) in an outward way. I feel tattoos can be beautiful if done the right way for the right reasons.

I think we would if we could. We're busy and don't get to spend time all together that much. One could argue that that is a good reason to do it. But the thing is we're also all on the verge of doing something new career wise. I'll be declaring my major as nursing soon. My mother's currently switching majors to be a medical technician of some sort. My sister's currently thinking about making a career change and isn't sure what she wants to go to school for.

But one could argue that a small, conservative tattoo in a more concealed area would be fine. And if it is of a faith-based nature, there may be plenty of workplaces that can't say much to you about it.

a54: Well, anyway, you do seem to have a definite liking for the idea of becoming a tattooed woman with your family, together with your mother and sister.

It does seem to be very much a trend these days, anyway.

(And like you said, if involving a small, faith based, conservative design for you all, it might prove to be an especially strong and 'touching' motivation for you yourselves, since you describe the women in your family as God fearing and Bible believing, with whom some unobtrusive tattooing might be in keeping.) Blessings.

Well, she's not against all tattoos. I just think she might not like certain ones, or ones that are too big.

Speculative:

Well, even this is changing a bit, I think. It used to be that big ones were nearly always on men, and women would get small ones only, usually, but now many women seem to like a half-sleeve at least; so it's entirely what she may like, or not, as the case may be. (The old stereotypes don't really fit so much these days.)

a54:

Yes, while some people might once have tried to dismiss the idea as fit for gangsters and sailors on leave in Tijuana, the fact is that inks and parlor facilities have improved immensely over the years and the parlor trip has become established as a family friendly, womanly activity, hasn't it?

PS: from previously
handy ..there really isn't anything inherently sinful about tattoos.. anymore than there is anything inherently sinful about a type of music..
I look at it more as a matter of Christian liberty... and am participating in this thread more because of how the discussion is really centered on how we handle the issue of Christian liberty more than anything else.

Believe it or not Christian liberty isn't to be denied the Church based solely upon how some people might be offended. As has been brought up a number of times now... not one of the Apostles told the gentiles that they were free to be circumcised or not be circumcised, but since it was such a divisive issue for the Jewish Christians, it would be best to be circumcised so that their freedom didn't cause an offense or be a stumbling block. (After all, what about a young Jewish Christian couple who decide not to circumcise their baby son because hey, all those Gentiles are running around without being circumcised... Why, all their elder family members would think they were infidels.)
handy:

Yes, I'm sure that not too far away are underlying matters of Christian freedom.

We may recall that Paul circumcised Timothy and this was to help his witness among Jews. Timothy wasn't compelled; he received it willingly.

But Paul also opposed Peter against the idea that circumcision was a compulsory.

Among Christians, circumcision was voluntary.

So there does seem to be a valid comparison, I think, with tattoos, as well.

Because faith related tattoo designs often DO help people in their testimony.

No one should feel compelled to receive a tattoo. Christians that have it done, should be receiving it willingly.

No one should feel compelled NOT to get a tattoo.

(So I can see that there might be the measure of analogy with circumcision, directly or indirectly.)

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:

The fact there are differing views on this and a wide number of subjects speaks volumes for me; we all have different paths with God

The fact there are differing views on this and a wide number of subjects speaks volumes for me; we all have different paths with God

G: Faith witness, as this aspires to be in the minds of some Christians, is very much an individual thing. Though often in families it can also be a thing jointly entered into, right?

(PS: did your parlor visit, where you were going to do some checking out, happen yet?)

G: Faith witness, as this aspires to be in the minds of some Christians, is very much an individual thing. Though often in families it can also be a thing jointly entered into, right?

Yeah I don't see why not

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back