Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Laminins

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
As shared by an anonymous doctor:

"A couple of days ago I was running (I use that term very loosely) on my treadmill, watching a DVD sermon by Pastor Louie Giglio and I remember being completely blown away. So I like to take this opportunity to share what I had learned although I do have fears that I might not be able to convey it as well as I want to.

Anyway, let me try:
Pastor Louie was talking about how inconceivably BIG our God is, how He spoke the universe into being and how He breathes stars out of His mouth that are huge raging balls of fire and so on.

Then he went on to speak of how this star-breathing universe-creating God also knitted our human bodies together with amazing detail and wonderment. At this point I am LOVING it; being fascinated from a medical standpoint, as you may imagine.

And I was remembering how I was constantly amazed during medical school as I learned more and more about God’s handiwork. I remember so many times, thinking how can ANYONE deny that a Creator did all of these…

Louie went on to talk about how we can trust that the very God who created all these also has the power to hold it all together when things seem to be falling apart; how our loving Creator is also our sustainer.
And then I lost my breath. And it wasn’t because I was running on my treadmill either…

It was because he started talking about laminins. Being a physician, I of course thought I knew about laminins. Here’s what Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Se ... nins&go=Go
) says about laminins:

‘Laminins are a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue.’ So you see, laminins are what hold us together, LITERALLY.

Laminins are cell adhesion molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next cell. Without laminins, we would literally fall apart. Of course I knew all of these already but I didn’t know was what they LOOKED LIKE.

Now I do. And I have thought about it a thousand times since. Here is what the structure of a laminin looks like; and trust me, this is NOT a deliberate ‘Christian portrayal’ either:

If you look up laminins in any scientific or medical piece of literature, this is EXACTLY what you will continue to see…
Laminins.gif

Now tell me that we’re all imagining things. Tell me that our God did this ‘by accident.’ Tell me that this is not true and you have completely different laminins in your body. Me? I think this is incredibly amazing – the glue that holds us altogether…all of us… is in the shape of the Cross!

And that’s when Colossians 1:15-17 comes immediately to mind:
“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him, all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him.â€
“He is before all things and in Him, all things HOLD TOGETHER.†– Colossians 1:15-17

I just think that is quite a remarkable divine legacy to leave in our bodies as a constant reminder of who we all belong to. Thousands of years before the world even knew anything about laminin, Paul penned those words you read above. And now we see that from a very LITERAL standpoint; that we are held together, one cell to another, through Him on the Cross. Amazing!

You would never in a quadrillion years convince anyone that is anything other than the mark of a Creator who knew PRECISELY what laminin ‘glue’ would look like before Adam even breathed his first breath. Amazing God!

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!!!

oh my! no way! I was just looking for this yesterday! I remember watching his speech to this large audience telling this story.

It's the perfect example of how people are "designed" (and I use the word cautiously) to see what they want to and make connections/superstitions about those.

Of course, everyone knows this. However, the same people that realize this concept are often the people that don't realize that they do this as well. For example, everyone who belongs to a religion and believes in their deities know that their deities exist. These same people all have "proof" that is absolutely infallible of their deity as well as their religious texts.

Now, I'm not saying any of these bits of "proof" are factual or that they are all incorrect. But psychology and biology will teach us that humans, physically, are wired to make connections such as these. and suspicion alone is no source of evidence unfortunately.

jasoncran said:
thus negating that argument that God used evolution, thanks. :thumb

evo doenst need God.

technically that's not a superstition. If your god exists and you don't take the bible literally (or just that earth is a few billion years old), than evolution is the only feasible explanation on how life diversified.

Here's an actual electron micrograph of the molecule:

th_laminin.jpg

Well, not so swordlike or cruciform, but at least topologically it's right. There are pentagonal molecules in humans, too. But I'm pretty sure they aren't to show the devil owns us.

A cruciform structural transition provides a molecular switch for chromosome structure and dynamics.

Shlyakhtenko LS, Hsieh P, Grigoriev M, Potaman VN, Sinden RR, Lyubchenko YL.

Department of Microbiology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-2701, USA.
Abstract

The interaction between specific sites along a DNA molecule is often crucial for the regulation of genetic processes. However, mechanisms regulating the interaction of specific sites are unknown. We have used atomic force microscopy to demonstrate that the structural transition between cruciform conformations can act as a molecular switch to facilitate or prevent communication between distant regions in DNA. Cruciform structures exist in vivo and they are critically involved in the initiation of replication and the regulation of gene expression in different organisms. Therefore, structural transitions of the cruciform may play a key role in these processes. Copyright 2000 Academic Press

There are perfectly good structural and functional reasons for these molecules to be cruciform, of course.

Evointrinsic said:
jasoncran said:
thus negating that argument that God used evolution, thanks. :thumb

evo doenst need God.

technically that's not a superstition. If your god exists and you don't take the bible literally (or just that earth is a few billion years old), than evolution is the only feasible explanation on how life diversified.
but evolution in order doesnt need God, by your own admission, ns isnt guided, how does a being with intellegence not control a process. even with cads (based on the process of natural selection) its controlled. the enginner inputs what he wants, and its done. there are parameters set and so forth.
and its double checked.

would you want to fly in an aircraft that was haphazrdly designed and had no one to check its saftey?

would you want to fly in an aircraft that was haphazrdly designed and had no one to check its saftey?

I have some bad news for you...

Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Aircraft Wing Planform Based on Evolutionary Algorithms
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/su ... .1.78.3809

Multiobjective wing design using genetic algorithms and fuzzy logic
Journal Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Publisher Professional Engineering Publishing
ISSN 0954-4100 (Print) 2041-3025 (Online)
Issue Volume 218, Number 2 / 2004
DOI 10.1243/0954410041321961
Pages 133-145

The Barbarian said:

I have some bad news for you...

Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Aircraft Wing Planform Based on Evolutionary Algorithms
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/su ... .1.78.3809

Multiobjective wing design using genetic algorithms and fuzzy logic
Journal Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Publisher Professional Engineering Publishing
ISSN 0954-4100 (Print) 2041-3025 (Online)
Issue Volume 218, Number 2 / 2004
DOI 10.1243/0954410041321961
Pages 133-145

All intelligently designed.

barb. you proved my point, thanks. if god is using evo then it has to have a purpose behind it, the hammer is still being swing by the master engineer.

that is what i was trying to say, the areonautical engineer has a program that he uses to design something that is tested first then built and retested,they have a purpose and cease the program when done. they wanted to build a jet or whateever airframe. they stopped once they reach the goal, evolution having no purpose nor intellegence isnt doing that now is it.
i work near piperjet, and i saw thier first jet fly, they tested it to be sure. now then how does the lord double check the functioning of evolution?

hmm?

btw if the bible says in allegory that the lord created the earth and all of creation in six days, what word is used for created in ancient hebrew(designer, builder,enginneer).surely the lord gave men utterance and gave man the first words.

Let's hypothetically say that god is real, and that god is your god. Why exactly would an omniscience being need to test anything? The whole point of testing something is to find out if that something works/is real/is fact. Why would a being that knows all need to test something to find out if that something, which he already knows will or wont work, will or wont work?

hat is what i was trying to say, the areonautical engineer has a program that he uses to design something that is tested first then built and retested,they have a purpose and cease the program when done. they wanted to build a jet or whateever airframe. they stopped once they reach the goal, evolution having no purpose nor intellegence isnt doing that now is it.

All that happens is humans substitute their own tests of fitness, instead of an envirionment doing it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back