Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Learn What the Bible Says about the Occult

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Want to learn more about what the Bible says about the occult?
Go here:
http://www.bbnradio.org/wcm4/bbnbiengli ... fault.aspx

Look to the right, see the 3 blue bars, one that says: Sign up,
click on that.

It's ALL FREE, and, non-denominational, so, don't worry about cost
or your denomination being bashed.

After signing up, click on the place that says BROWSE COURSES.
Then, click on the AVAILABLE DIVISIONS OF STUDY
THEN,
Click on BIBLE ELECTIVES
Next
Scroll down to where you see: 52700 Beware of the Cults -- Dr. Walter Martin
and click on "learn more".

Take the course.

Talk to me after you have finished, I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

Does Your Church Practice Yoga?
Do you?

Hare Krishna, one of the 388 million gods and goddesses of the Hindu pantheon, is topmost in
it's practice of YOGA.
The Hare Krishna movement is Hindu, the practice of a branch of Hinduism.
People are sucked into the Hindu religion, because they think they'll have peace of mind.
The Hindu concept of God is that God is everything and in everybody, which smacks of
Zen.
Hinduism does not in any way acknowledge Jesus Christ as uniquely
the Saviour of lost men.

There is no Christian yoga!
http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/yoga.htm
Even though people will say there is: http://www.christianyoga.us/home.htm
and this nonsense: http://holyyoga.net/
Any of these common yoga exercises a part of your day?
http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposenamesi ... _Names.htm

If you practice yoga, or if your church endorses it, FLEE FROM IT.
Resist the hindu practices, get away from them, if you want to be a Christian.

Remember the tv show, Dharma and Greg? dharma is a hindu word, meaning
duty.
Remember the tv show, Just Shoot Me? The boss's daughter was named
MAYA, and maya is the ultimate state of mind, sought by Hindus.
Did you know Hindus have prayer beads?
Anyone else have prayer beads?

So we all know the bible says the Occult is wrong. My question is this-Why would God have put the occult on this planet if he frowns upon it? What is so bad about it? What are prophecies if not divination? How did Christ perform miracles without possessing magical abilities? Food for thought...

essentials said:
So we all know the bible says the Occult is wrong. My question is this-Why would God have put the occult on this planet if he frowns upon it? What is so bad about it? What are prophecies if not divination? How did Christ perform miracles without possessing magical abilities? Food for thought...

essentials, in my limited time here, I think I may have come to know Biblereader's ways. I suspect "she?" might not return volley. "She?" seems to plant thoughts and let others weigh in. We'll see...

How do you feel about spiritual warfare? Do you believe evil influences could have put false doctrine in the minds of people? Could those false beliefs manifest themselves in creating the occult?

I know it's a well traveled verse, but take Ephesians 6:11-12 "put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places"

Acts 19: "18Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds. 19A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. 20In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power."

These practices and beliefs are clearly not created by God. Going back to Deuteronomy 18: “When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD…â€

We are to fend off the lure of this influence and follow His Truth. It comes from he who pulls you from our called purpose.

I see. I was always under the impression that when God created the heavens and the Earth, he created everything on the Earth as well. I actually turned to God because of a spiritist/diviner who reads Tarot cards I consulted who told me to say the Lords prayer for protection. So without an occultist I wouldn't have even considered turning to God's light. Therefore, for me, I don't see how all occult practices could be bad things. However, unforunately, I have experienced in the past, and still do, the destructive power of black magic. I can see why the Lord would detest the black side of things, as I do myself, but white magic exists also. There's even books you can buy that supposedly uncover the occult aspects of the Bible and tell you to burn certain coloured candles and recite psalms to acheive a desired outcome. I've never done it, but I can see why people who are interested in the occult but still want to follow the bible would. It's not all bad is my point.

essentials said:
How did Christ perform miracles without possessing magical abilities?

Jesus was not a magician. He's the Son of God. He performs miracles to prove His divinity.

essentials said:
I actually turned to God because of a spiritist/diviner who reads Tarot cards I consulted who told me to say the Lords prayer for protection. So without an occultist I wouldn't have even considered turning to God's light. Therefore, for me, I don't see how all occult practices could be bad things.

Just because God used an occultist to reach out to you doesn't mean occult practice is not wrong.
God loves the occultists too !

essentials said:
However, unforunately, I have experienced in the past, and still do, the destructive power of black magic. I can see why the Lord would detest the black side of things, as I do myself, but white magic exists also. There's even books you can buy that supposedly uncover the occult aspects of the Bible and tell you to burn certain coloured candles and recite psalms to acheive a desired outcome. I've never done it, but I can see why people who are interested in the occult but still want to follow the bible would. It's not all bad is my point.

Of course it's bad. They believe parts of the Bible but reject the rest. A TRUE Christian does not abuse or misuse the Bible that way and use it for occultic purposes. A true Christian should honor the sacred book if he believes the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation as being God's Words, and reject unbiblical practices. The BIble nowhere mentions a believer should burn certain coloured candles.

Fair point Tina, I was merely pointing out that these books exist. People may well have burned different coloured candles to acheive different outcomes throughout the ages, you and I have been alive for an extremely small part of history. Just sayin'.

essentials said:
I see. I was always under the impression that when God created the heavens and the Earth, he created everything on the Earth as well. I actually turned to God because of a spiritist/diviner who reads Tarot cards I consulted who told me to say the Lords prayer for protection. So without an occultist I wouldn't have even considered turning to God's light. Therefore, for me, I don't see how all occult practices could be bad things. However, unforunately, I have experienced in the past, and still do, the destructive power of black magic. I can see why the Lord would detest the black side of things, as I do myself, but white magic exists also. There's even books you can buy that supposedly uncover the occult aspects of the Bible and tell you to burn certain coloured candles and recite psalms to acheive a desired outcome. I've never done it, but I can see why people who are interested in the occult but still want to follow the bible would. It's not all bad is my point.
And no wonder, even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 2 Cor 11:14, and not to forget how well he knows the bible; as may be seen in Christ's temptations. Keep your eyes on Jesus, that is all you have to do, that is all that's necessary. Then any kind of magic, in any color of the spectrum, becomes so much dross and in due time, you'll wonder why you ever wondered.

Tina said:
essentials said:
How did Christ perform miracles without possessing magical abilities?

Jesus was not a magician. He's the Son of God. He performs miracles to prove His divinity.

essentials said:
I actually turned to God because of a spiritist/diviner who reads Tarot cards I consulted who told me to say the Lords prayer for protection. So without an occultist I wouldn't have even considered turning to God's light. Therefore, for me, I don't see how all occult practices could be bad things.

Just because God used an occultist to reach out to you doesn't mean occult practice is not wrong.
God loves the occultists too !

essentials said:
However, unforunately, I have experienced in the past, and still do, the destructive power of black magic. I can see why the Lord would detest the black side of things, as I do myself, but white magic exists also. There's even books you can buy that supposedly uncover the occult aspects of the Bible and tell you to burn certain coloured candles and recite psalms to acheive a desired outcome. I've never done it, but I can see why people who are interested in the occult but still want to follow the bible would. It's not all bad is my point.

Of course it's bad. They believe parts of the Bible but reject the rest. A TRUE Christian does not abuse or misuse the Bible that way and use it for occultic purposes. A true Christian should honor the sacred book if he believes the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation as being God's Words, and reject unbiblical practices. The BIble nowhere mentions a believer should burn certain coloured candles.
Exactly! :biggrin

"Occult" is both a noun and a verb. When the moon is in the shadow of the earth it is said to be "occulted" by the earth. As a noun "occult" simply refers to "that which is hidden". Why, oh why, do Christians use it to mean black magic??? Fear maybe? :yes Superstition? :help Ignorance? :crazy I don't know but they sure get carried away with the subject. You guys are a never ending source of entertainment. :amen

OH FYI "occult" is not mentioned in the Bible. Not even once. Sorry.

Yaqub said:
"Occult" is both a noun and a verb. When the moon is in the shadow of the earth it is said to be "occulted" by the earth. As a noun "occult" simply refers to "that which is hidden". Why, oh why, do Christians use it to mean black magic??? Fear maybe? :yes Superstition? :help Ignorance? :crazy I don't know but they sure get carried away with the subject. You guys are a never ending source of entertainment. :amen

Yessir, FYI, it does. Google definitions of occult and 1 of them is "supernatural: supernatural forces and events and beings" The Bible has much to say about supernatural forces.

However, my favorite was " have its light extinguished" Can I use this in a sentence for you like my english teacher would make us do just to make sure we understood the concept? Let me try.

Without the light and love of our Lord Jesus Christ, the world would be occulted. Hows that?

Westtexas

Yaqub said:

i will ask that while you can disagree with us, be careful not to insult this site and its tenants per the tos.

Yaqub said:

MOST people in here can easily figure out what we mean, when we say "occult".

Biblereader said:
Yaqub said:

MOST people in here can easily figure out what we mean, when we say "occult".

:biglol

Common sense and any magic/horror movie will lead you to the conclusion that we are talking about black magic... :screwloose

Occult practices are a bridge for Satan to use to enter your heart and your head. "Black" magic, I say this because all magic really, is evil. It is a means by Satan to attract people to him.

There is a pastor who has web site and he is heavily involved in the paranormal. He investigates ghosts. He claims this is a gift God has given him and that he has reached the wayward to God through this method. The Bible tells us to have nothing to do with the spiritual realm as its satan's domain. My question is: Would God ever give a man a gift to be used in the spirit world if that man uses it to reach the lost?

There is a pastor who has web site and he is heavily involved in the paranormal. He investigates ghosts. He claims this is a gift God has given him and that he has reached the wayward to God through this method. The Bible tells us to have nothing to do with the spiritual realm as its satan's domain. My question is: Would God ever give a man a gift to be used in the spirit world if that man uses it to reach the lost?
Joseph was a dream interpreter. Guess what is outlawed in Leviticus? Dream interpretation and divination. Guess what Joseph was doing?

Does Your Church Practice Yoga?
Do you?
Do you understand what yoga is?

Hare Krishna, one of the 388 million gods and goddesses of the Hindu pantheon
Wrong, Krishna is the God in Hinduism. All the other "gods" are like what angles and saints are to Christianity. Krishna is omnipitant, omnipresent, and the alpha and omega. He even took on human form and walked amongst men teaching the divine truth.........................Why dose that sound familiar?,
is topmost in it's practice of YOGA.
Wrong again, Genesh is the breaker/shower of ways and the master of Yoga.
The Hare Krishna movement is Hindu, the practice of a branch of Hinduism.
Thats like say the Jesus movement is a subset of Christianity. Krishna is the God in Hinduism.
People are sucked into the Hindu religion, because they think they'll have peace of mind.
False, Hinduism is the religion that teaches the ideas of death and rebirth. Its the oldest religion on Earth and was a major influence on the big mono theistic religion in the Middle East. ( Zoroaster, Baalism, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity).
The Hindu concept of God is that God is everything and in everybody,
Just like your God, you know the Alpah and the Omega, The Omnipresent and Omnipotent being? If your God is all that, then he is everything and everyone. You know, the Body of Christ and the Shepard allegory?

which smacks of Zen.
No it dosen't. Zen is a Buhddist term about reaching enlightenment and knowing the utmost truth and knowing how everything works in the eyes of the ever present God. Your religion has this as well. Its called Heaven Where you become one with God in everlasting life.

Hinduism does not in any way acknowledge Jesus Christ as uniquely
the Saviour of lost men.
Because Hinduism is older then Christianity by a few Thousand years

There is no Christian yoga! Even though people will say there is:
Yep these people you are speaking for. Second hand news is always biased.

If you practice yoga, or if your church endorses it, FLEE FROM IT.
I think its time you learn what yoga actually is. Yoga is nothing more then a series of repetitive movements that calms the body, respiratory system, mind, and heart. It dose this by basic physiology. Almost all stretching activities before sports or any kind of activity is descendant from yoga because of its medical use.

Ever stretched when you got out of bed in the morning? Ever go for a walk to clear your mind? have any habbits you used to get your mind off something such as a game, sport, tv, or even prayer? Guess what, you are practicing Yoga/ meditation. Your ignorance is baffling. Did you bother to actually look up Hindu writings before you posted this? Have you researched how Yoga has been a part of medicine and sports for ages? Did you research where Hinduism came from?

Resist the Hindu practices, get away from them, if you want to be a Christian.
Then never ever stretch or move!, deeply think about anything, or put your hands to the sky because you'll be practicing some tenant of Yoga.

Remember the tv show, Dharma and Greg? dharma is a hindu word, meaning
duty.
Its actually common name as well. Just like how Jesus is common in Spain and Latin America. Its also the name of one of the biggest students of Buddhism who brought it to the orient.

Remember the tv show, Just Shoot Me? The boss's daughter was named
MAYA, and maya is the ultimate state of mind, sought by Hindus.
Wrong, Brahman is the ultimate state sought by Hindus. Maya is a common Hindu name. It is also the name of one of the Major South American Native Tribes. The Mayians.
Did you know Hindus have prayer beads?
Yeah? Did you know they also have a holy text. A God, Temples/Churches, Alters, Priests, and prayer.....................Just like your religion.
Anyone else have prayer beads?
Catholics, Taoists/Daoists, Buddhists, Jains, Shintoists, and Sikhs. There are others, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Before I forget, The Rosary in Catholicism because it actually holds no power.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back