Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

learning a new instrument

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You mean keep them from hurting so much? If that's it, then nothing but practice. Once you get past the first couple of days you will get calouses and it won't hurt anymore. Heck, you can even sew without a thimbal if you like :lol ....not that you would or anything :crazy

Yes, hurting is what I meant. I think callouses are already starting. They don't hurt like heck anymore.

caromurp said:
You mean keep them from hurting so much? If that's it, then nothing but practice. Once you get past the first couple of days you will get calouses and it won't hurt anymore. Heck, you can even sew without a thimbal if you like :lol ....not that you would or anything :crazy

+1 !

It takes more than just a couple of days. I am a drummer but I still play a little guitar and bass, and I have had my share of pain with them both, and holding drum sticks.

heather said:
Yes, hurting is what I meant. I think callouses are already starting. They don't hurt like heck anymore.
Your fingertips will not be the only thing that hurts. You will cramp up, if you haven't already. Strengthen your fretting hand by squeezing a tennis ball or handball in your spare time, like when on the phone or watching TV.

You can also buy one of these:

http://www.wwbw.com/Gripmaster-Exercise ... 34911.wwbw

It allows you to exercise each finger independently.

[attachment=0:3ljqdlmo]grip.jpg[/attachment:3ljqdlmo]

Lewis W said:
It takes more than just a couple of days. I am a drummer but I still play a little guitar and bass, and I have had my share of pain with them both, and holding drum sticks.

The only pain i get from drums sticks is in my wrists. Perhaps after 11 years my wrists are screaming STOP, lol

Thanks. I started getting callouses, but I haven't practiced in about a week. I just started a new job and have been tied up in that. I find that I am cramping up. I also noticed a bruise right where my guitar sits on my lap. Ugh.

btw, start with the blues; it will make learning other stuff easier.

try these riffs: :biggrin

btw, I got a blister on my ring finger last night recording this because I don't play as much anymore since I quit playing at church. :)

mechanicdb said:
btw, start with the blues; it will make learning other stuff easier.
That's where I started; 12 bar blues, c-f-g. :biggrin That was in the 70s.

Now guess which genre we are playing when we are warming up on Wed. eves at our Praise & Worship rehearsal? :biglol

heather said:
Thanks. I started getting callouses, but I haven't practiced in about a week. I just started a new job and have been tied up in that. I find that I am cramping up. I also noticed a bruise right where my guitar sits on my lap. Ugh.
You will be ok, it is natural for you to go through this.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back