Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lets have a little trivia game

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, exactly. I would have accepted 2 days as the answer to the trivia question, though 1.5 days is a better answer if you allow rounding.

This has nothing to do with days of the week. Anyone who did anything on the third day cannot have been doing it for three days. By the time the third night came, whatever the exact hour was, our Jesus was already long gone from the tomb. Anyone who schedules hotel reservations for a living is very familiar with the difference between ordinal and cardinal numbers, which is what this number problem is about.

It would be best to consider this issue now, while amongst believers, than to have it thrown to you at you when the critical events of the end times divides people for the final time.

But you are not believing that it is three days and three nights and that is what it says.
Tradition says He died on Friday, the 6th day. But the Bible doesn't.
Even if we count by the Jewish partial day of part of Fri., Sat, and part of Sunday we still can't get three nights.

Using Scripture to confirm your reasoning is the only way I would look at it.
As you wish:

Mark Ch. 16
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

The first day of the week is Sunday.

Incidentally, I opened to this exact passage at random (on the internet).

But you are not believing that it is three days and three nights and that is what it says.
Tradition says He died on Friday, the 6th day. But the Bible doesn't.
Even if we count by the Jewish partial day of part of Fri., Sat, and part of Sunday we still can't get three nights.
That is exactly my point. There is something very odd about that specific passage. Three nights doesn't work with other parts of Scripture.

That is exactly my point. There is something very odd about that specific passage. Three nights doesn't work with other parts of Scripture.

There are several scriptures and more than one report by the different women. But when you put them all together it makes sense if one remembers that there was more than one Sabbath day. There was the Passover, Sabbath day, and the regular Saturday Sabbath. In between those Sabbath days the women bought spices for His body.

Polycarp, observed Passover on the Jewish Passover, not on the following Sunday. I don't know when the Sunday observance started I don't see it in the NT. I just see Passover.

Matthew 12:40

Oh yeah, that's right, but in 1 Corinthians...

1 Corinthians 15:4
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:/(KJV)

So suppose he rose on Sunday, this would mean that he was crucified on thursday late afternoon perhaps and died around sunset? So we wouldn't count thursday day, by their calendar the new day begins at sunset. So then he was dead starting thursday night, all day friday, friday night, all day Saturday and night, and rose again Sunday morning. This would make it 3 nights and two full days.If we added another full day, then it would add another night also?

This is kind of confusing. Look at a calender and you'll see what I mean.

Oh yeah, that's right, but in 1 Corinthians...

1 Corinthians 15:4
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:/(KJV)

So suppose he rose on Sunday, this would mean that he was crucified on thursday late afternoon perhaps and died around sunset? So we wouldn't count thursday day, by their calendar the new day begins at sunset. So then he was dead starting thursday night, all day friday, friday night, all day Saturday and night, and rose again Sunday morning. This would make it 3 nights and two full days.If we added another full day, then it would add another night also?

This is kind of confusing. Look at a calender and you'll see what I mean.
Some day we will have a nice long talk with Jesus.Perhaps you guys to ask Him.

So is the Bible infallible or is there margin for error? What if I believe in reincarnation, a phenomenon clearly negated in Scripture?

Some day we will have a nice long talk with Jesus.Perhaps you guys to ask Him.

Well, it's not like it's an important salvific issue, so it's nothing to lose sleep over. :) I never really paid the issue a lot of attention ubtil others had a problem with the math of it, and I see the problem with it.

So is the Bible infallible or is there margin for error? What if I believe in reincarnation, a phenomenon clearly negated in Scripture?
The Holy Bible which is the word of God is infallible.You can believe in what you want to believe in.God gives us all a choice.He is not a cosmic rapist.

So you are questioning the Holy Bible?My father did not believe in the Holy Bible because he thought man wrote it and it had nothing to do with God.
My belief is that your Father was not categorically wrong, just took it a step too far. The Bible is the Word of God, but it was not literally written by God. It was written by man, an imperfect scribe even under the guiding hand of the Almighty. Simple errors of transcription and translation can easily account for most if not all discrepancies there within, and there are not many. Errors of omission would be a more serious issue. However, faith based upon literal precision is simply not true faith in the first place.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back