Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

long hair?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
doesnt the bible also say that his skin was the color of olive? and i only know two colors of olive, and im pretty sure that he wasnt green. andk like blazin bones said what about the nazerite vow? what would there commitment or vow stand for and would the vow also be shamefull?

Blazing Bones said:
So Padion, what would you say to someone who wishes to live as a Nazorite? Numbers 6 makes it clear that one portion of the Nazirite's separation is not cutting his hair.

Tim, do you know of any Christians now, or at any period in history who wished to live as a Nazarite? We are in a new age, a new order, and hold to the new covenant in Christ.

True, John the Baptizer lived as a Nazarite, but he still lived in the old order, even though He announced the Leader of the new. According to Jesus, even though John was greater than any man ever born in the old order, yet he was less than he who is least in the Kingdom of God.

humbleservant said:
doesnt the bible also say that his skin was the color of olive? and i only know two colors of olive, and im pretty sure that he wasnt green. andk like blazin bones said what about the nazerite vow? what would there commitment or vow stand for and would the vow also be shamefull?

It is most commonly argued that Jesus was probably of Middle Eastern descent because of the geographic location of the events described in the Gospels, and, among some modern Christian scholars, the genealogy ascribed to him. For this reason, he has been portrayed as an olive-skinned individual typical of the Levant region. A team of forensic scientists recently attempted to recreate what Jesus may have looked like based on human remains from the area where and time period when Jesus is believed to have existed. However, this image does not reveal any specific details about what Jesus looked like; it is intended only to give a view of the typical person living in Jesus' time and place

"From science and computers, a new face of Jesus", By Jeordan Legon, CNN

so paidion, I have had a friend who made a commitment with god, and when he felt like he started fallowing his flesh and broke his commentment, he decided to shave his hair, he started to fast and pray about his commitment and wait a year before he let his hair grow back and take the commitment again. so he was shaving his head as a sign of humility and humbleness, should he have been growing his hair longer than he normally does in order to be doing the right thing?

This was a personal matter between your friend and God. I know of know scripture which forbids men from shaving their heads.

I was only addressing the matter of men who let their hair grow long like the hair of women who do not cut it. That is what Paul said was a shame for a man to do.

It's so easy to become entangled isn't it? Lol - I'm not saying we should rinse our hair with conditioner even though it might sound like a set-up line for a commercial. :bath

But when we discuss the OP we have several things to keep in mind.
Part of the instructions can include the message (about holiness) given to the children of Israel and how they should not shave or "notch" their beards like the heathen do. SO we who desire to please God may choose to refrain from "looking like them" who have no such desire and serve the "other gods". Please notice the use of the word "may" not "must". Pleasing the Lord can only come from our hearts. The other things (within the topic of discussion) are permissible, some are required of all but others not.

From such general principles and the tenor of the bible we might teach about tattoos (there are OT laws about that too, but I have not studied them) or looking like a "skin-head" or looking effeminate as male or purposely too masculine if female. We are specifically told not to dress as the other gender and our hairstyles (as pointed out by a previous poster) should remain clear for our gender. Before any hurry to the Quote/Reply button and ask, "Sparrowhawke, what do you mean??" let me say, that I only said, "we might teach from those principles". I did not say that this was me trying to teach it. I'm your brother here, no authority from me about it what-so-ever. These then are the general principles and tenor. We can start from some understanding of what the Lord was teaching (and to whom He was speaking and why) but from there?

We can also see that "hair and head-coverings" speak analogously to submission. For instance, Samson was strong as he remained submitted to the Lord. Contrary to popular opinion Delilah didn't cut his hair. That's beside the point though. We can also hear mention of "doing for the sake of the angels" in some of these things.

There are a number of confusing beliefs about Jesus and it is not my purpose to debunk the belief, but only the root of the confusion. Part of which is mistaking Jesus who was from Nazareth as a Nazarite or one under that vow. John the Baptist voluntarily took upon himself the "Vows of the Nazarite" (at least once) but was not under the vows for his lifetime, contrary to what many believe.

The vows of a Nazarite can be found in Numbers 6:1-27:
  • First, he could eat "nothing of the vine tree from the kernels even to the husk." (v.4).
    [list:z6f93k7l]No vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
[/*:m:z6f93k7l][*]Second, “there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled†(v.5).
  • All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
[/*:m:z6f93k7l][*]Third, during the days of his separation, “he shall come at no dead body†(v.6).[/*:m:z6f93k7l][/list:u:z6f93k7l]

There were sacrificial offerings required on the eighth day of his separation. Then later we see:
Num 6:18 And the Nazarite shall shave the head of his separation at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall take the hair of the head of his separation, and put it in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offerings. At that time the restrictions of the vow are removed.

As far as what Jesus looked like? He is said to be a man acquainted with sorrow. He was said to be "uncomely" <<---- that is not beautiful. Our brother, Paidion is right about painters mis-representing him. Oftentimes they would hire a woman to be a model for the "Christ" they would paint. I'd like to ask Fembot about that scripture describing his hair as 'wooly' because I know I've read it too (but can't place the verse at the moment, if you get a sec and it's easy enough).

~Sparrow

Isa 53 said:
Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

cery true, i dont mind all the laws that say long hair is wrong i believe that it is all where your hearts at also, are these laws or rules, required? the long hair and beard shaving? for me to enter heaven? is good going to laugh at me because long hair is shamefull?

I'd like to ask Fembot about that scripture describing his hair as 'wooly' because I know I've read it too (but can't place the verse at the moment, if you get a sec and it's easy enough)

It doesn't say his hair was "wooly". Rather it says it was as white as white wool and as white as snow.

Revelation 1:14 ... his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire...

humbleservant said:
cery true, i dont mind all the laws that say long hair is wrong i believe that it is all where your hearts at also, are these laws or rules, required? the long hair and beard shaving? for me to enter heaven? is good going to laugh at me because long hair is shamefull?
God will not laugh at those who come to him with a contrite heart. And no, the conviction that leads to heaven isn't about things that can be called trivial.

The Lamb of God died that all sinners could come to God, including murderers and thieves and adulterers and idolaters and party-goers and drunks and the lawless and the liars and those who bear false witness and the gossips and those who falsely accuse or take bribes and those who have unbridled lust(s) both for flesh and for possessions. His sacrifice was for those who think that their gain proves their godliness and trust in the power and love of money, died for those who were involved in witchcraft and sorcery and illegal drugs and the overuse of pharmaceuticals, he died to break addictions and envy and died to break the hold of things like jealousy and and to stop the quarreling that comes from it, died to stop bickering and hatreds and other things such-the-like.

If there is sin in having long hair or in the unintentional slip of the tongue that can and does cause offense? Yes, the covering that has been provided covers this too. If your conscience pricks you about long hair? Or if my brother thinks it's important? Okay, I'll get my hair cut. Will I ever force anyone (even my children) to cut their hair? I doubt it.

Hope this helps,
~Sparrowhawke

PS - "white as white wool" sounds wooly to me? But I do understand the distinction made also. Thanks again, Paidion! :salute

thanks brother for the incouragment i appretiate the love

Judges 13: 1And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.

2And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not.

3And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.

4Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:

5For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

A tonsure is the shaving with a razor or clipping of a round spot on the head ... This practice was a carry over from the priests of Babylon, we can see many evidences of the tonsure around the world.

Nazarenes were told not to put a razor to their heads, answer me this; is this world at enmity with God.

Think about this, if a Nazarene wasn't supposed to cut his hair how long would it be after 30 years?

turnorburn

turnorburn said:
Judges 13: 1And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.

2And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not.

3And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.

4Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:

5For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.
Nazarenes were told not to put a razor to their heads, answer me this; is this world at enmity with God.

Greetings turnorburn!

Aren't you speaking about Samson? The only man that I know of who was a Nazarite, born from the womb?
Jdg 13:7 said:
But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.

If so he is not a "typical" example of the Nazarite vows at all.

~Sparrow

Hey humbleservant,

I know where you're coming from. I was the same way, had long hair and didn't wear a suit, but instead of visiting a Pentacostal church... I'm actually a Pentacostal and have been going to a Pentacostal church all my life, lol.

Everyone kept telling me to cut my hair, but I just ignored them. It's like you said "come as you are" and that's all that matters. If your living your life for Jesus Christ and not of the world, then it doesn't matter what others say.

Greetings ark19,

I don't know how to say that better!
By the way WELCOME to the forum! :wave

~Sparrowhawke
Friends call me "Sparrow" - please feel free to.

turnorburn said:
Think about this, if a Nazarene wasn't supposed to cut his hair how long would it be after 30 years?

turnorburn

Some people's hair stops growing at a certain point, actually.

Contradictions abound!

Samson, Samuel, a shame?

Jdg 13:5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

Ever hear of Nazarites my friend? Of course Samuel was brought to the temple by his mother, but he was still a nazarite. There was the lifelong, and the 7 year type.

Paidion said:
There's one man that I love with all my heart. He had long hair. YES, Jesus!

How do you know He had long hair? Because all the paintings of Him as a blue-eyed Caucasian, have Him with long hair? In the middle ages many men had long hair, and so the artists depicted Jesus that way, too. Jesus was Jewish, dark and swarthy. Other than that, no one knows what He looked like. But my guess is that His hair was neither long nor short, like most of His Jewish contemporaries.

I do agree that Paul said it is a shame for a man to have long hair, because long hair was associated with homosexuals who tried to look like women by letting their hair grow long. Other early Christians strongly objected to men shaving off their beards and smoothing their skin and putting on "womanly pigments", making themselves look as much like women as possible. If these things were a shame for men back then, perhaps they still are. Nothing has changed except that these practices have become acceptable, including homosexuality itself.
in middle easter cultures it's common to let ones hair grow, the muslims do this and so did the jews ie absolum and samson , john the bapist, yes they had the nazarite vow, but one can't hang from a tree with short hair. i see no problem with and if u follow that chapter to the final verse you'll see no commandment on that

As a long-haired individual (planning to get dreadlocks), I have learned to remain silent when people in my church bring up the matter of long hair.

It is difficult for some to distinguish between what is actually a 'rule' and what is simply a part of what they are used to.

Back