Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Looking for Paul

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
https://ilearnaboutthebible.blogspot.com/

John 20:24

Now
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

Thomas
Θωμᾶς (Thōmas)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2381: Thomas, also called Didymus, one of the Twelve. Of Chaldee origin; the twin; Thomas, a Christian.

called
λεγόμενος (legomenos)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

Didymus,
Δίδυμος (Didymos)
Strong's 1324: The Twin; Didymus, the Greek name equivalent to Thomas. Prolongation from dis; double, i.e. Twin; Didymus, a Christian.

one
εἷς (heis)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

Twelve,
δώδεκα (dōdeka)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 1427: Twelve; the usual way in which the Twelve apostles of Jesus are referred to. From duo and deka; two and ten, i.e. A dozen.

was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

with
μετ’ (met’)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

[the disciples]
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

when
ὅτε (hote)
Adverb
Strong's 3753: When, at which time. From hos and te; at which too, i.e. When.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

came.
ἦλθεν (ēlthen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

John 20:25

So
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

other
ἄλλοι (alloi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 243: Other, another (of more than two), different. A primary word; 'else, ' i.e. Different.

disciples
μαθηταί (mathētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

told
ἔλεγον (elegon)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

him,
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

“We have seen
Ἑωράκαμεν (Heōrakamen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Lord!”
Κύριον (Kyrion)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

he replied,
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

“Unless
Ἐὰν (Ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.

I see
ἴδω (idō)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

the
τὸν (ton)

nail
ἥλων (hēlōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 2247: A nail. Of uncertain affinity; a stud, i.e. Spike.

marks
τύπον (typon)
Strong's 5179: From tupto; a die, i.e. a stamp or scar; by analogy, a shape, i.e. A statue, style or resemblance; specially, a sampler, i.e. A model or instance.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

hands,
χερσὶν (chersin)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5495: A hand.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

put
βάλω (balō)
Strong's 906: (a) I cast, throw, rush, (b) often, in the weaker sense: I place, put, drop. A primary verb; to throw.

my
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

finger
δάκτυλόν (daktylon)
Strong's 1147: A finger. Probably from deka; a finger.

[where]
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

the
τὸν (ton)

nails [have been],
ἥλων (hēlōn)
Strong's 2247: A nail. Of uncertain affinity; a stud, i.e. Spike.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

put
βάλω (balō)
Strong's 906: (a) I cast, throw, rush, (b) often, in the weaker sense: I place, put, drop. A primary verb; to throw.

my
μου (mou)
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

hand
χεῖρα (cheira)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

side,
πλευρὰν (pleuran)
Strong's 4125: The side of the body. Of uncertain affinity; a rib, i.e. side.

I will never believe.”
πιστεύσω (pisteusō)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

John 20:26

Eight
ὀκτὼ (oktō)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3638: Eight. A primary numeral; 'eight'.

days
ἡμέρας (hēmeras)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

later,
μεθ’ (meth’)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

disciples
μαθηταὶ (mathētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

were
ἦσαν (ēsan)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

once again
πάλιν (palin)
Adverb
Strong's 3825: Probably from the same as pale; anew, i.e. back, once more, or furthermore or on the other hand.

inside
ἔσω (esō)
Adverb
Strong's 2080: Within, inside, with verbs either of rest or of motion; prep: within, to within, inside. From eis; inside.

[with] the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Feminine Plural

doors
θυρῶν (thyrōn)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 2374: (a) a door, (b) met: an opportunity. Apparently a primary word; a portal or entrance.

locked,
κεκλεισμένων (kekleismenōn)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 2808: To shut, shut up. A primary verb; to close.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Thomas
Θωμᾶς (Thōmas)
Strong's 2381: Thomas, also called Didymus, one of the Twelve. Of Chaldee origin; the twin; Thomas, a Christian.

[was] with
μετ’ (met’)
Preposition

them.
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

came
ἔρχεται (erchetai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

stood
ἔστη (estē)
Strong's 2476: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o; to stand, used in various applications.

among them
μέσον (meson)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3319: Middle, in the middle, between, in the midst of. From meta; middle (neuter) noun).

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

said,
εἶπεν (eipen)

�Peace [be]
Εἰρήνη (Eirēnē)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1515: Probably from a primary verb eiro; peace; by implication, prosperity.

with you.�
ὑμῖν (hymin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

John 20:27

Then
εἶτα (eita)
Adverb
Strong's 1534: A particle of succession, then, moreover.

[Jesus] said
λέγει (legei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

to Thomas,
Θωμᾷ (Thōma)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular

“Put
Φέρε (Phere)
Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 5342: To carry, bear, bring; I conduct, lead; perhaps: I make publicly known. A primary verb.

your
σου (sou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular

finger
δάκτυλόν (daktylon)
Strong's 1147: A finger. Probably from deka; a finger.

here
ὧδε (hōde)
Adverb
Strong's 5602: From an adverb form of hode; in this same spot, i.e. Here or hither.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

look at
ἴδε (ide)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

My
μου (mou)

hands.
χεῖράς (cheiras)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural

Reach out
φέρε (phere)
Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 5342: To carry, bear, bring; I conduct, lead; perhaps: I make publicly known. A primary verb.

your
σου (sou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular

hand
χεῖρά (cheira)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

put [it]
βάλε (bale)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

My
μου (mou)

side.
πλευράν (pleuran)
Strong's 4125: The side of the body. Of uncertain affinity; a rib, i.e. side.

Stop doubting
ἄπιστος (apistos)
Strong's 571: (passively) untrustworthy (person), or incredible (thing).

and
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

believe.�
πιστός (pistos)
Strong's 4103: Trustworthy, faithful, believing. From peitho; objectively, trustworthy; subjectively, trustful.

John 20:28

Thomas
Θωμᾶς (Thōmas)

replied,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“My
μου (mou)

Lord
Κύριός (Kyrios)
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

my
μου (mou)

God!”
Θεός (Theos)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

John 20:29

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

said
Λέγει (Legei)

to him,
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

“Because
Ὅτι (Hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

you have seen
ἑώρακάς (heōrakas)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular

Me,
με (me)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Singular

you have believed;
πεπίστευκας (pepisteukas)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

blessed [are]
μακάριοι (makarioi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3107: Happy, blessed, to be envied. A prolonged form of the poetical makar; supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off.

those who
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

have not seen
ἰδόντες (idontes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

and yet
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

have believed.”
πιστεύσαντες (pisteusantes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

John 20:30

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

performed
ἐποίησεν (epoiēsen)
Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

many
Πολλὰ (Polla)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4183: Much, many; often.

other
ἄλλα (alla)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 243: Other, another (of more than two), different. A primary word; 'else, ' i.e. Different.

signs
σημεῖα (sēmeia)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4592: Neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of semaino; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally.

in the presence
ἐνώπιον (enōpion)
Preposition
Strong's 1799: Neuter of a compound of en and a derivative of optanomai; in the face of.

of
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

disciples,
μαθητῶν (mathētōn)

which
ἃ (ha)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

are
ἔστιν (estin)

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

written
γεγραμμένα (gegrammena)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 1125: A primary verb; to 'grave', especially to write; figuratively, to describe.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

this
τούτῳ (toutō)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

book.
βιβλίῳ (bibliō)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 975: A papyrus roll. A diminutive of biblos; a roll.

John 20:31

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

these
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

are written
γέγραπται (gegraptai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1125: A primary verb; to 'grave', especially to write; figuratively, to describe.

so that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

you may believe
πιστεύητε (pisteuēte)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 2nd Person Plural

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

is
ἐστιν (estin)

the
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

Christ,
Χριστὸς (Christos)
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

the
ὁ (ho)

Son
Υἱὸς (Huios)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

of God,
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

by believing
πιστεύοντες (pisteuontes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

you may have
ἔχητε (echēte)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

life
ζωὴν (zōēn)
Strong's 2222: Life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence. From zao; life.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

name.
ὀνόματι (onomati)
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

- In Matthew chapter 28, we are told about Mary Magdalene and Mary who go to Jesus' tomb!
- They see an angel who tells them Jesus was raised up and they will see him in Galilee!
- they feel fear and joy at the same time and they run to tell the disciples about it!
- On their way, they meet Jesus who tells them the same!
- As a consequence, the 11 disciples go to the mountain where they will meet Jesus!
- Then he tells them to make disciples of all the nations!
- So women are first to meet Jesus, not men!
- It may tell a lot about faithfulness!

- In Mark 16, we are told about Mary Magdalene, Mary and Salome!
- Here again it is the same story except that the angel tells them to tell the disciples and Peter!
- In the long version, we are told about Jesus who first appears to Mary Magdalene!
- She goes to the disciples!
- They don't believe her!
- Then he appears to two of them!
- They go to the others and tell them!
- But they don't believe them either!
- Then Jesus appears to them and rebukes them for their lack of faith!
- Then he tells them to preach the gospel to all creation!
- Here Jesus has a special thought for Peter to encourage him!
- We are told about their lack of faith!
- We must remember they didn't understand Jesus' message when he taught them!

- In Luke chapter 24, we are only told about the women who went to Jesus' tomb!
- Here we are told about two angels who tell them Jesus was raised up!
- They go and tell the eleven disciples!
- Here we are told about Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary and other women!
- Here again the disciples don't believe them!
- Peter goes to the tomb and sees nobody!
- The same day two disciples are traveling and speaking about all the latest events!
- Jesus meets and speaks with them but they don't recognize him!
- They tell him about everything!
- Once again he speaks about their lack of faith!
- And he starts again to explain everything to them!
- Finally, he dines with them and he gives them the bread!
- They realize it is Jesus but then he disappears!
- Then they go back to Jerusalem and tell the other disciples!
- Suddenly, Jesus appears among them but they think it is a spirit!
- So he speaks about their doubts!
- And he eats some fish so they can check he is real!
- Then he opens up their minds so they can understand everything!
- And he tells them to go and preach the gospel to all the nations!
- Thus we always see the same lack of faith!

- In John 20, we are told about Mary Magdalene who goes to the tomb then she meets Simon Peter and to John!
- So the two go to the tomb!
- They run but John runs faster!
- Then they believe!
- They go back to their homes!
- Mary stays at the tomb and she meets two angels!
- Then she sees Jesus without knowing it is Jesus!
- When he tells her name, she recognizes him!
- Mary Magdalene comes and tells the disciples what he has just said to her!
- In the evening, Jesus appears among his disciples!
- He shows them his hands and his side!
- They receive holy spirit!
- But Thomas isn't there!
- So the disciples tell him!
- But he doesn't believe it!
- Eight days later, Jesus appears to them again and Thomas is there!
- So he tells him to put his finger to check his hands and his side!
- Once again, we see their lack of faith!
- Then Jesus also performs a lot of signs in front of them!

Now about Paul:

Galatians 1:10

{Am I} now
Ἄρτι (Arti)
Adverb
Strong's 737: Now, just now, at this moment. Adverb from a derivative of airo through the idea of suspension; just now.

seeking the approval
πείθω (peithō)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3982: A primary verb; to convince; by analogy, to pacify or conciliate; reflexively or passively, to assent, to rely.

of men,
ἀνθρώπους (anthrōpous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

or
ἢ (ē)
Conjunction
Strong's 2228: Or, than. A primary particle of distinction between two connected terms; disjunctive, or; comparative, than.

of God?
Θεόν (Theon)

Or
ἢ (ē)
Conjunction
Strong's 2228: Or, than. A primary particle of distinction between two connected terms; disjunctive, or; comparative, than.

am I striving
ζητῶ (zētō)
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

to please
ἀρέσκειν (areskein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 700: To please, with the idea of willing service rendered to others; hence almost: I serve. Probably from airo; to be agreeable.

men?
ἀνθρώποις (anthrōpois)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

If
εἰ (ei)
Conjunction
Strong's 1487: If. A primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.

I were still trying to please
ἤρεσκον (ēreskon)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 700: To please, with the idea of willing service rendered to others; hence almost: I serve. Probably from airo; to be agreeable.

men,
ἀνθρώποις (anthrōpois)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural

I would not be
ἤμην (ēmēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle - 1st Person Singular

a servant
δοῦλος (doulos)
Strong's 1401: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave. From deo; a slave.

of Christ.
Χριστοῦ (Christou)
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

Galatians 1:11

For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

I certify
γνωρίζω (gnōrizō)
Strong's 1107: To make known, declare, know, discover. From a derivative of ginosko; to make known; subjectively, to know.

to you,
ὑμῖν (hymin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural

brothers,
ἀδελφοί (adelphoi)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Plural
Strong's 80: A brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian. A brother near or remote.

[that] the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

gospel
εὐαγγέλιον (euangelion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2098: From the same as euaggelizo; a good message, i.e. The gospel.

I preached
εὐαγγελισθὲν (euangelisthen)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2097: From eu and aggelos; to announce good news especially the gospel.

is
ἔστιν (estin)

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

devised by
κατὰ (kata)
Preposition
Strong's 2596: A primary particle; down, in varied relations (genitive, dative or accusative) with which it is joined).

man.
ἄνθρωπον (anthrōpon)

Galatians 1:12

I
ἐγὼ (egō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Singular

did not
οὐδὲ (oude)
Adverb
Strong's 3761: Neither, nor, not even, and not. From ou and de; not however, i.e. Neither, nor, not even.

receive
παρέλαβον (parelabon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3880: From para and lambano; to receive near, i.e. Associate with oneself; by analogy, to assume an office; figuratively, to learn.

it
αὐτό (auto)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Neuter 3rd Person Singular

from
παρὰ (para)
Preposition
Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

any man,
ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)

nor
οὔτε (oute)
Conjunction
Strong's 3777: And not, neither, nor. From ou and te; not too, i.e. Neither or nor; by analogy, not even.

was I taught [it];
ἐδιδάχθην (edidachthēn)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1321: To teach, direct, admonish. A prolonged form of a primary verb dao; to teach.

rather, [ I received it ]
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

by
δι’ (di’)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

revelation
ἀποκαλύψεως (apokalypseōs)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 602: An unveiling, uncovering, revealing, revelation. From apokalupto; disclosure.

from Jesus
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)

Christ.
Χριστοῦ (Christou)

Galatians 1:13

For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

you have heard of
Ἠκούσατε (Ēkousate)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 191: To hear, listen, comprehend by hearing; pass: is heard, reported. A primary verb; to hear.

my
ἐμὴν (emēn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1699: My, mine. From the oblique cases of ego; my.

former
ποτε (pote)
Particle
Strong's 4218: At one time or other, at some time, formerly. From the base of pou and te; indefinite adverb, at some time, ever.

way of life
ἀναστροφήν (anastrophēn)
Strong's 391: Dealing with other men, conduct, life, behavior, manner of life. From anastrepho; behavior.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Judaism,
Ἰουδαϊσμῷ (Ioudaismō)
Strong's 2454: The Jewish religion, Judaism. From Ioudaizo; 'Judaism', i.e. The Jewish faith and usages.

how
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction

severely
καθ’ (kath’)
Preposition
Strong's 2596: A primary particle; down, in varied relations (genitive, dative or accusative) with which it is joined).

I persecuted
ἐδίωκον (ediōkon)
Strong's 1377: To pursue, hence: I persecute. A prolonged form of a primary verb dio; to pursue; by implication, to persecute.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

church
ἐκκλησίαν (ekklēsian)
Strong's 1577: From a compound of ek and a derivative of kaleo; a calling out, i.e. a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation.

of God
Θεοῦ (Theou)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

tried to destroy
ἐπόρθουν (eporthoun)
Strong's 4199: To lay waste, destroy, ravage, harass. Prolongation from pertho; to ravage.

it.
αὐτήν (autēn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Singular

Galatians 1:14

I was advancing
προέκοπτον (proekopton)
Strong's 4298: From pro and kopto; to drive forward, i.e. to advance.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Judaism
Ἰουδαϊσμῷ (Ioudaismō)
Strong's 2454: The Jewish religion, Judaism. From Ioudaizo; 'Judaism', i.e. The Jewish faith and usages.

beyond
ὑπὲρ (hyper)
Preposition
Strong's 5228: Gen: in behalf of; acc: above.

many
πολλοὺς (pollous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4183: Much, many; often.

of my contemporaries
συνηλικιώτας (synēlikiōtas)
Strong's 4915: One of the same age. From sun and a derivative of helikia; a co-aged person, i.e. Alike in years.

[and] was
ὑπάρχων (hyparchōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5225: To begin, am, exist, be in possession. From hupo and archomai; to begin under, i.e. Come into existence; expletively, to exist (verb).

extremely
περισσοτέρως (perissoterōs)
Adverb
Strong's 4057: Greatly, exceedingly, abundantly, vehemently. Adverb from perissos; superabundantly.

zealous
ζηλωτὴς (zēlōtēs)
Strong's 2207: One who is eagerly devoted to a person or a thing, a zealot. From zeloo; a 'zealot'.

for the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Feminine Plural

traditions
παραδόσεων (paradoseōn)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 3862: An instruction, tradition. From paradidomi; transmission, i.e. a precept; specially, the Jewish traditionary law.

of my
μου (mou)

fathers.
πατρικῶν (patrikōn)
Adjective - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 3967: Ancestral, paternal, belonging to the fathers (ancestors). From pater; paternal, i.e. Ancestral.

Galatians 1:15

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

when
Ὅτε (Hote)
Adverb
Strong's 3753: When, at which time. From hos and te; at which too, i.e. When.

God,
θεὸς (theos)

who
ὁ (ho)

set me apart
ἀφορίσας (aphorisas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 873: To rail off, separate, place apart. From apo and horizo; to set off by boundary, i.e. limit, exclude, appoint, etc.

from
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

my
μου (mou)

mother’s
μητρός (mētros)
Strong's 3384: A mother. Apparently a primary word; a 'mother'.

womb
κοιλίας (koilias)
Strong's 2836: From koilos; a cavity, i.e. the abdomen; by implication, the matrix; figuratively, the heart.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

called [me]
καλέσας (kalesas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2564: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name. Akin to the base of keleuo; to 'call'.

by
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

grace,
χάριτος (charitos)
Strong's 5485: From chairo; graciousness, of manner or act.

was pleased
εὐδόκησεν (eudokēsen)
Strong's 2106: To be well-pleased, think it good, be resolved. From eu and dokeo; to think well of, i.e. Approve; specially, to approbate.

Galatians 1:16

to reveal
ἀποκαλύψαι (apokalypsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 601: To uncover, bring to light, reveal. From apo and kalupto; to take off the cover, i.e. Disclose.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

Son
Υἱὸν (Huion)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

me
ἐμοὶ (emoi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Singular

so that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction

I might preach
εὐαγγελίζωμαι (euangelizōmai)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Middle - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 2097: From eu and aggelos; to announce good news especially the gospel.

Him
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

among
ἐν (en)
Preposition

the
τοῖς (tois)
Article - Dative Neuter Plural

Gentiles,
ἔθνεσιν (ethnesin)
Noun - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 1484: Probably from etho; a race, i.e. A tribe; specially, a foreign one.

I did not rush to consult
προσανεθέμην (prosanethemēn)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 4323: To consult with, communicate, impart. From pros and anatithemai; to lay up in addition, i.e. to impart or to consult.

with flesh
σαρκὶ (sarki)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4561: Flesh, body, human nature, materiality; kindred.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

blood,
αἵματι (haimati)
Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

Galatians 1:17

nor
οὐδὲ (oude)
Conjunction
Strong's 3761: Neither, nor, not even, and not. From ou and de; not however, i.e. Neither, nor, not even.

did I go up
ἀνῆλθον (anēlthon)
Strong's 424: To come up, go up, ascend. From ana and erchomai; to ascend.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Jerusalem
Ἱεροσόλυμα (Hierosolyma)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 2414: The Greek form of the Hebrew name: Jerusalem. Of Hebrew origin; Hierosolyma

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

the
τοὺς (tous)
Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

apostles
ἀποστόλους (apostolous)
Strong's 652: From apostello; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ.

[who came] before
πρὸ (pro)
Preposition
Strong's 4253: A primary preposition; 'fore', i.e. In front of, prior to.

me,
ἐμοῦ (emou)

but
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction

I went
ἀπῆλθον (apēlthon)
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Arabia
Ἀραβίαν (Arabian)
Strong's 688: Arabia, the district south of Palestine. Of Hebrew origin; Arabia, a region of Asia.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

[later]
πάλιν (palin)
Adverb
Strong's 3825: Probably from the same as pale; anew, i.e. back, once more, or furthermore or on the other hand.

returned
ὑπέστρεψα (hypestrepsa)
Strong's 5290: To turn back, return. From hupo and strepho; to turn under, i.e. To return.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Damascus.
Δαμασκόν (Damaskon)
Strong's 1154: Damascus. Of Hebrew origin; Damascus, a city of Syria.

Back