Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Looking to lose weight

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
get cut but isn't really the way to look at things for someone looking to lose a lot of weight. That needs to be looked at as a lifestyle change, or it may just become yo-yo dieting. I think that is why many people gain their weight back--they just wanted to lose weight and never made the decision to always do those things to keep the weight off.
:amen

I think it's very much about breaking bad habits and forming good ones. It needs to become habitual to avoid certain foods or at least keep them to a minimum, and instead reach for others, like veggies and whole grains for example. And of course exercise also needs to become a way of life.
:amen

:thumbsupSpot on Free

That's Great LadyLoves,Kudos to you,
Mark is right about not moving the scales around. Also weigh yourself in the morning as soon as you get up ONCE a week on the same day every week. During the week, your weight will go up and down depending on your activity level the previous day, what you ate etc.
Paul1965 is right.
Also, dear LadyLoves, keep in mind that as a young Lady your weight will vary by about 2-3 kilogram (sorry, I'm european, I have no idea how much that would be in pound or lbs:sad) during every month, due to the hormonal fluctuations during the female monthly cycle. So don't freak out if you seem to gain 2 kilo from one week to the another, it's normal and unavoidable, and the 2 additional kilograms aren't fat, they're tissue water.

Paul1965 is right.
Also, dear LadyLoves, keep in mind that as a young Lady your weight will vary by about 2-3 kilogram (sorry, I'm european, I have no idea how much that would be in pound or lbs:sad) during every month, due to the hormonal fluctuations during the female monthly cycle. So don't freak out if you seem to gain 2 kilo from one week to the another, it's normal and unavoidable, and the 2 additional kilograms aren't fat, they're tissue water.
In Canada we have to deal with both. :) 1 kg = ~2.2 lbs

I agree with tim-from-pa on this one and this is from my experience. Cut way down on the carbs and illiminate processed foods completely.

Hey folks, hoping for a little advice

I will be blunt, I am about 80lbs overweight, looking to do something that will shed this in a healthy timeframe (hopefully under a year)

Open to advice

Maybe the first rule in losing weight is: Don't starve yourself. If you eat enough to begin with, then you won't have to overeat to make up for what you didn't eat.

I'll weigh in on this (bad pun, I know lol)...

I'm down about 20lbs and still dropping. My sister posted this on my facebook "Satan starts with s and s is what you watch out for sodium, sugar, and starch."

That's what I'm keeping tabs on... I don't count calories at all, I do watch the carbs though and I stay away from all processed foods because all processed foods have way, way too much sodium and/or sugar in them (makes me really puffy). I don't drink any calories and I don't drink any diet soda's either. While nobody is completely sure as to why, there is a proven link between diet soda and obesity. Besides, all artificial sweeteners (even the ones touted as "natural") give me migraines.

I've severely limited carbs to either a 1 cup bowl of Cheerios (about the only whole grain anything I actually like) or one slice of bread, per day, and I eat these for breakfast. When I eat fruit, I eat it in the morning. However, I eat as much fresh veggies that I want and I eat whatever meat I want. I also eat eggs.

Snacking: Elijah23 hit it right on the nail. Don't allow yourself to get really hungry. I snack a LOT... I snack all day long... celery with cream cheese, almonds, peanuts (all nuts are good), cottage cheese etc. I do keep in mind the carb count of these snacks, but if you stick with low carb snacks, it's pretty amazing at how often one can nosh.

Holidays: I sailed through Thanksgiving with no problems (and I was the cook!) I even enjoyed a nice slice of pumpkin pie. And, the day after, I enjoyed a slice of apple pie. The pies were made completely from scratch with a fresh pumpkin and fresh apples, and I had no real problem with my blood sugar being too high. I don't eat dessert every day by any means, but I do eat one very occasionally and truly enjoy it when I do. I just factor the carbs in that's all. On Thanksgiving, I passed on the mashed potatoes and stuffing, ate lots of turkey and veggies and then was able to enjoy the pie. Added a lot of whipped topping on the pie as well, because whipped topping really doesn't have that many carbs to speak of (but I did make sure I was accounting for the carbs that were there.)

Exercise: Very important. Not only will exercising raise the metabolism rate and help burn more calories, it will also help build muscle so that one doesn't wind up with a huge amount of sagging skin. This wasn't a huge problem when I lost a lot of weight in my 30's but now that I'm 51, sagging skin is a huge consideration. I walk a lot, and I've noticed that my skin isn't sagging at all on my legs, bum and hips. But, I wasn't doing any weight training or exercising my arms much and wow, I'm really having to work at keeping my arms from flapping.

Now, I've got a very wonky thyroid and I'm approaching the benchmark (25 lbs) of when I tend to simply stop losing weight. I've battled this over and over since my thyroid went wonky, but my husband's physical therapist had some pretty good advice for me to work on in order to circumvent my body's tendency to stop losing weight no matter how much of a calorie deficit I've developed. The key (the pt says) is to keep the body guessing as to what kind of exercise I'm going to put it through and to not stick with any one kind of exercise for more than 4-6 weeks (about the length of time it takes me to simply stop losing weight.) So, I've switched from walking to working out with my daughter's dancing game on Wii and my son's weights. The real test to this will come in about two weeks or so, when I'll most likely have lost about 25 lbs and will be moving into my third month of weight loss.

Meanwhile, my blood sugar is doing good... I still want it down a bit more... my blood pressure is just fine and my cholesterol has dropped as well to within my normal range (210-220). And, I've dropped two pants size. I had to shop for new clothes this weekend! :shades So, all in all, I'm doing pretty good.

California, I hope you're sticking with things. Don't get discouraged too soon... For the first month or so of my "new normal" I didn't drop any weight. I was starting to get a little discouraged because, as usual, I was limiting calories, exercising and I just wasn't dropping any pounds... but all of a sudden, things kicked in and it started dropping off. Stick with the diet, even if you start to plateau and it gets discouraging. Stick with it because it's a healthier, better way to eat and move. The weight loss will follow, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but it will eventually drop off.

I've not been seriously dieting, just rearranging what I eat and that has helped immensily. No, I'm not dropping 40lbs in 4 weeks or anything crazy like that, just slowly but steadly have gone from ~180 to ~140.

I've been dropping the foods that have high fructose corn syrup in it, replacing it with items that don't. For example, I still drink chocolate milk, but I found the local store's brand to just be milk, cocoa, and sugar. Salad dressings have been harder, as has mayo, but have replaced them as well. I've also been eating wheat bread instead of white, wheat pasta, etc ... and just watching the portion sizes.

Exercise is easy-moderate walk/hikes mostly, plus I make myself walk everywhere there's a convieniance -- like taking the stairs to the office (I'm on 3rd floor), walking down to the mail/recycling at the apt complex (rather than driving), etc ...

My next big thing to tackle is my addiction to diet sodas :tongue sigh ...

This thread was just weighting to be brought back.
A lot of good advice here.

I think to eat healthy foods in moderate amounts and exercise is a healthy choice.Beware of alcohol because it can put a ton of weight on you.I know a physican who had alot of weight to lose for health reasons.He would watch his calories 6 days a week.But once a week he would eat anything he wanted.He picked one day out of the week to do this.He said he could never stay on his eating plan unless he did that.He lost a bunch of weight and has stayed on this plan of his for a very long time.He looks great.

I think to eat healthy foods in moderate amounts and exercise is a healthy choice.......

finding and choosing healthy foods is important, when available.

most healthy foods, you can eat as much as you're comfortable eating and won't gain unnecessary weight.

most modern processed foots, diet or un-kosher foods, eat any at all and weight may just pile on.

After a while of eating a healthy portion of food your stomach can shrink.You will then need less food to feel full.But that can be hard.Sometimes you might feel hungry until your next meal.

it's been known for hundreds of years that lemon juice and/ or apple cider vinegar sipped with a meal or a snack satisfies the bodies feeling of hunger naturally = let's the body know that enough nutrition has been taken in and says 'okay, that's enough for now' (in a whisper - cant' even hear it with a stethoscope!)

apple cider vinegar tablets work as well as the liquid - it's the one thing sold more than any other in fact at a local store.

I think that exercise can help satisfy that hunger feeling and so can drinking alot of water which is important.

Hey folks, hoping for a little advice
I will be blunt, I am about 80lbs overweight, looking to do something that will shed this in a healthy timeframe (hopefully under a year)
Open to advice

God's Word is always best - well, for some..... Take all of God's Word , especially what Jesus says >>> (not just part of it- i.e. no cheap grace)

"Are health laws and eating and drinking really important to me personally? If I love the Lord, isn't that enough?

They are a matter of life versus death, because these laws involve obedience. "He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." Hebrews 5:9.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21. Love to Christ is involved here because He says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15. When we truly love the Lord, we will gladly obey Him without dodging or making excuses. This is the supreme test."

http://www.bibleuniverse.com/media-library/study-guide/e/4990/t/gods-free-health-plan

Dr. Jarvis discovered from his patients the natural way(s) they remained healthy and what they did if they found out a sickness was on the way. (there's a simple test that they did that indicated as much as 3 days early that they would get sick if they didn't do anything about it).

The method he discovered from them for some troubles(sinuses, weight loss, burning sensation, metabolism, tiredness) is still the most common one used/ purchased at a local health food store. (they sell more of the tablets than any other supplement sold for anything).

He used animals to show why and how sure the natural approach was - to verify and authenticate that it wasn't 'just in the head' i.e not imagined nor a placebo effect, but a real and true and often repeated with good results.

No negative side effects is one of the nice things to be enjoyed! Quick relief for some (2 seconds) problems, and just 15 minutes to wait for some other problems (with digestion issues/burning feeling).

Not to mention low cost. A lot of people have what is needed in their food pantry, and just don't realize it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back