Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lottery: Blessing or Curse?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JohnR

My wife dreams of winning the lottery. She says it is because she wants to help her nephews and neices with their education. But I wonder if winning the lottery is all that good of a thing when I read on the "curse" of the lottery and the death and destruction it has brought to some people.

I have some things here I bought on credit cards and I am trying to pay it off. Yet the stuff just sits there and gathers dust. Some extra sheets for the bed, a camera that we don't really use that much. So I wonder if people had a lot of money if they would just end up buying a lot of stuff they do not need and have to find some place to store it all.

Are we supposed to rely on God to meet our needs? Or our we supposed to rely on 'winning the lottery'?

Flat out curse. Yes, I could think of a multitude of good with all that money, however no thanks...

I am too afraid of what my sinful nature is capable of with that level of wealth. Psalm 49: 16-17

She'd be better off putting that money in a bank/investing it since the chance on actually winning the lottery is so infintesimal.

As far as what should be done with the money, well so long as you don't sit on it you are benefitting someone by increasing the demand for whatever widgets you fancy. It's nowhere near as direct of a benefit as donating it, though, which you could also do. Would probably save a bunch on taxes too.

moniker said:
It's nowhere near as direct of a benefit as donating it, though, which you could also do.
If it sits here long enough, then eventually we put it in a box and pay the shipping to send it over to a third world nation. We got two boxes of stuff ready to go now. Last time I sent about a thousand dollars worth of stuff and the cost with the freight consolidator was about $100. They were real happy to get that.

A lot of people are happy to donate for missions, but it is a little bit more difficult to find people willing to pay the shipping.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back