Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lottery?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
As was posted earlier, it all comes down to motive. No one is going to automatically be in danger of hell fire just because they bought a lottery ticket.

That's just my opinion. But if you have scripture that specifically refers to gambling being a sin, I'm all ears.
This is why I asked for scripture stating gambling was a sin such as prostitution as His Knee is claiming. The scriptures His Knee posted earlier are not about gambling in and of itself, but are about the sin of making it into an idol. That's why most translations do not use words like "lady luck", "fate", or "destiny" when they translated that verse. A close look at the original texts shows it is referring to much more than just gambling for some fun. In light of His Knee's not providing any clearer scripture stating gambling is a sin like prostitution, I think the point is made.

I didn't assume any such thing. It is all written in Scripture, plain and simple.

From your latest link.

Question: Is Gambling a Sin?

What Does the Bible Say About Gambling?
Surprisingly, the Bible contains no specific command to avoid gambling.

That is the very beginning of the article. What should my reaction be to that?

...A more thorough and simple and Scriptural exhortation may be found at >>>
http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/f/isgamblingasin.htm
Ok, I read the article. (Hey, you never know where you might learn something new and significant about scripture, even if is IS from a place like About .com, right?) But as I expected there is no scripture cited in the article saying gambling is a sin. Not one verse. Every scripture they cite talks about the abuse of gambling possibly leading to other behavior or attitudes that are sinful, but not one scripture to support the idea that gambling is sinful. So how do they get around that? They get around it by saying that not all sins are listed in the Bible. Really? Now if a sin isn't listed in the Bible, and the bible is God's only word to us, then exactly who decided what other things are sins? Who is it, other than God, who presumes to have the holy authority to add to scripture and declare things are sins against God that God himself has not said were sins?

In this long article there is still not one scripture cited that says or even implies gambling is a sin. In fact, much of it seems to be a rant against how churches and Christians worship rather than having anything at all to do with the topic of this thread. (Unless I missed some vague reference somewhere in it, if so please point that out...) Remember, as has been already said too many times, we are not talking about sins that are associated with gambling (and are, of course, also associated with almost everything else in life too!) We are talking about just gambling (specifically the lottery), in and of itself, without a judgmental assumption that everyone who gambles is making an idol out of it, or doing it in some other way that we actually are told in God's word is sinful. There is a huge difference between something perhaps not being wise in some situations, and claiming it is a sin against God.

In case it has been forgotten, let me re-state the Original Post and the subject that is being discussed here: "Is lottery gambling? Are christians allowed to lottery?"

I went to double check, and it is there clearly in chapter 7. (it is a long read to get there, but important to someone seeking Christ. it was and is an important instruction for many leading to maturity in Christ in line with Scripture ).
Also, it may help to remember that to the Christian there is no absolute right or wrong. It may be all right for one person to do a thing, but not all right for another person to do the same thing. What is right or wrong for a Christian depends upon the level of life he has attained; the level of life is reflected in how many things he cannot do. Some things that God permits a baby new born Christian to do (like bar-tending even, as one man did without qualms for 2 years after being saved, then set it down and walked away saying "I can't do this any more". ) a mature Christian would no longer even consider.

There have been many testimonies that would fill(and do fill) many books and there is not enough time or space in a hundred threads to begin to list them all, of the believers lives who were called by God and learned His ways and taught others what is true, all in line with His Word and His Life.

Corrie Ten Boom, for example, is well known for her testimony and life of faith and love. (several here have mentioned her, I think). She clearly and simply warned the churches in america about several things, including gambling and learning to live in a police state(being ready for what happened in Germany; as it has likewise developed in the untied states), and few listened.

The sad fact is that many congregations never get past the milk, and continue living lives in sinful behavior because they have no one to lead them, like sheep without a shepherd; and others 'listen' gladly, but soon return to the ways of the world.

. Jesus instructs all those who seek Him, who have sought the Father and continue seeking Him to Live His Live, consecrated and set apart and holy, always always always fully in line with His Word.
And as it is written :
1 John 3
New King James Version (NKJV)

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

The longer one walks with Jesus, the purer his life gets; or else he gets more wicked.
Revelation 22:11-12
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
11 “Whoever keeps acting wickedly, let him go on acting wickedly;
whoever is filthy, let him go on being made filthy.
“Also, whoever is righteous, let him go on doing what is righteous;
and whoever is holy, let him go on being made holy.”

12 “Pay attention!” [says Yeshua,] “I am coming soon, and my rewards are with me to give to each person according to what he has done.

There's no in-between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to double check, and it is there clearly in chapter 7.
Well I admit I was looking for the point you were making on the page you actually linked to. I didn't know you expected me to read the whole book and try to figure out which part of it you were referring to.

I didn't know it didn't show up on the first page actually. Just happened. And it's all good for LIFE in JESUS !
(When I was reading it before copying the link, I think all the chapters were on one page, but not sure --- I didn't know they would be separate pages or so long)

I have gambled and played the lotto. however given that its generally not a good way to save. I don't recommend it. most that gamble either do it for recreation at times. some do get addicted . if you can deal with that and its not a problem then I cant call it a sin. if you are doing to get rich then you are sinning. greed.

Please note, this is not a debate forum. Start a new thread in A&T of you wish to debate this topic. I don't have time to clean it up at the moment so I will trust you all will do the right thing. Maybe I or another mod will get to it later.

Thanks.

WIP

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back