Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 14:26 What does this verse mean?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Jarred

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."
Luke 14:26 (KJV)

:chin

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

It is a comparison. If we do not love God so much that by comparison our familial love appears to like hatred in the world's eyes, then we are lacking---even disqualified. God must come first, and family second. It's about priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that "hatred" in this sense isn't hatred as in "I'm going to stab you" type hatred; its more like rejection. Kind of like...no man can serve 2 masters, for he will hate the one and love the other. It doesn't mean you're going to despise one and adore the other, it means that 1 will be dominant in your affections and the other will, at best, play second fiddle.

So...if you choose to live for the Lord, you need to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, as they say; this means that even the closest earthly relationships must be "rejected."

Ok thats what I felt it meant. The Holy Spirit teaches us when we read the Bible. I just always have trouble convincing my brain although deep down I'll know what something means.

Alabaster and Christ empowered are both right on..

G3404
μισέω
miseō
mis-eh'-o
From a primary word μῖσος misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

To love less We are to Love Him first and foremost.

†. Gen 2:24 . .Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

The Hebrew word for "leave" is `azab (aw-zab') which means : to loosen, i.e. relinquish.

Webster's defines "relinquish" as (1) to withdraw or retreat from : leave behind, (2) give up, (3) to stop holding physically : release, relax one's grip, and (4) to transfer possession or control of : yield.

Here's a hypothetical question. If a man was in a row boat on a lake with his mother and his wife, and the boat began to sink; which should he save : his mother or his wife?

Well, some guys might answer his mother because men can always get another wife but they can never replace their mother. However; according to Gen 2:24 that would be the wrong answer.

Well, the Lord took that a step further by giving himself a higher priority than even a man's wife; let alone his mother. If only Adam had followed that rule; the world would be a whole lot better place to live nowadays.

Did God bust Adam for eating the fruit? Not really. Actually, God He busted Adam for putting his wife first.

†. Gen 3:17 . .To Adam he said : Because you listened to your wife . . etc, etc.

You know, probably most guys would have done the very same thing; I mean; Adam had to live with Eve; he didn’t have to live with God. In other words : most guys would rather walk through fire than disappoint their best girl.

C.L.I.F.F.
|

Christ requires total first place in ones life. 100% for either spouse or children. (mankind) And that was from day one. There is NO second place for Salvation. That is the FIRST table of Stone's Eternal Covenant, and then comes the second table of ones duty to wife... mankind.

Test this with only Rev. 3:16's sick Spewed Out love, and then try John 12:47-48 for others & their choice of church denomination over Christ. (called synagogue, but the same meaning (thing) as church, note Rev. 17:1-5's united community!

In John it was singular sick love & in Rev. 17:1-5 are seen total denominational sick love rejected! Compare the CONDITION again of Christ requiring FIRST place for Salvation for mankind in your verse. He by the way CREATED US, huh? Unless another takes over 'our free choice' at any time of life, as in Gen. 4:7:screwloose

--Elijah

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26 (KJV)

This "hate" here means to love less, you have to love Jesus the most and love your self and your family second. So serving Jesus trumps over serving your family and yourself.

Romans 9:
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

God is love and He loved Isaac's sons but he loved Jacob more than he loved Esau.

[FONT=arial,helvatica][SIZE=-1]Hebrews 11:
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.

Esau still got blessed eventhough God loved him less than Jacob.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yielding ourselves to God allows us to put him first place above ourselves and family so we can be more obedient to his will. We know that Gods will is to love unconditionally and when we can love in such a way we become not only a blessing unto God, but a greater blessing to our families. We give up trying to do everything our own way and allow the righteousness of God work in us and through us to be a more effective member of his body and receive the greater blessings of his love and compassion.

Luke 14:26, 33 If any man come unto me and hate not (hate not means putting your family first before God) his father, mother, wife, children, brethren and sister yes and his own life also he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:33, so likewise whosoever he be of you that forsakes not all that he hath he cannot be my disciple.

Yielding ourselves to God allows us to put him first place above ourselves and family so we can be more obedient to his will. We know that Gods will is to love unconditionally and when we can love in such a way we become not only a blessing unto God, but a greater blessing to our families. We give up trying to do everything our own way and allow the righteousness of God work in us and through us to be a more effective member of his body and receive the greater blessings of his love and compassion.

Luke 14:26, 33 If any man come unto me and hate not (hate not means putting your family first before God) his father, mother, wife, children, brethren and sister yes and his own life also he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:33, so likewise whosoever he be of you that forsakes not all that he hath he cannot be my disciple.

Amen, and welcome to CF.net! :waving

Your love for christ should be so strong, that your love for family pales in comparison, even to the point of looking like hate by comparison. This does not mean to hate your family. Christ does not teach hate, but love. Serving our families is one of the ways we serve our God If done so with a proper heart, but we do not sin to serve them we place God first.

thank you Alabaster God bless

When ever you read a verse like that, one that simply cannot make sense (Christ never taught us to HATE our family) - you know you are dealing with a translation issue. :thumbsup

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back