Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 6:32-36

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Luke 6:32-36 King James Version (KJV)
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Luke 6:32-36 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

32-33 Everyone loves those who love them back it is easy to help those who you know would return the favor, it is easy to love friends and family, the Pharisees thought because they did this they were doing something great and Jesus is saying everyone does this.

34 Jesus here is saying if you help expecting to have them return the favor then how is this more then what anyone else does, banks today do this but banks are not churches, as Christians we are to help and not expect anything back.

35 Jesus tells us then help those who hate us lend to those who wont be able to pay us back, maybe sometimes those who will need more help in the future.

36 We are to live out Christ to the world and one thing that means is show mercy.

This is the holy righteous life we all should live. BUT, how many actually live like this? Sadly, not many. Those are certainly good words my friend. I'll remember them today. Thank you.

I would say my thoughts are the same as yours.

I could only add to the topic by giving my thoughts on why Jesus said these things.

He was pointing people to the things eternal. Its hard to look up, when you keep looking down. If you hold onto, and consider that which is physical to be important, then you will never be able to 'grasp' that which is actually most important.

The people of his day had come a long way from the beginning of time and even from the beginning of the nation. They had settled in and become very comfortable with their lives and possessions - definitely not looking at this life as temporary. Their forefathers, who God began the nation with, lived in tents. They, honestly saw this life as temporary.

Hebrews 11:13-16
These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

I believe, Jesus point was you are either heavenly minded or earthly minded - cant be both. Doing those things He told in the versus does set your mind on heavenly things.

I like what you said (typed :hysterical) very much Nathan my good friend. Especially this....
He was pointing people to the things eternal. Its hard to look up, when you keep looking down.

That is so true! In fact that reminds me of this verse....Colossians 3:1 "If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."

Thanks Nathan, for that very wise post. I needed that today because I'm having kind of a down day.

This just reminded me of a game we used to play in Sunday School. It was called "heads up 7 up". I cannot remember what the object was, all I remember is you had your head down and stuck your thumb up. :thumb

Sorry, that was a rabbit....err....squirrel.....

Back