Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Lukewarm Christians

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Well, I guess that would be a Christian who does believe in Christ (by definition), but who does absolutely nothing to live their faith. If you ask them, they say they're Christian, but they live a completely secular life.

This is just how I've always seen this term being used.

Me too but the insights in this thread challenge that thinking!

He doesn't want their works, He wants them.
Setting aside that the message really is talking about their “works” (as does the messages to the other churches in chapters 2-3), so your view is that He wants them (not their works but them) to be “cold”?

And your view is to be cold is to be a Christian “who does absolutely nothing to live their faith”?

Do you see the problem with your view?

No, I see a chance, where with the lukewarm Christian, there is none.

As for the message, I was only interested in answering the OP's original concerns, and using the common meaning of the term "lukewarm" as it applies to Christian belief. Not necessarily analyzing the Scripture passage per se.

I call lukewarm Christians Sunday Christians. These people are Christians only on Sundays when they go to Church but blend in with the world the other six days. All we can do with these Christians is teach the Word of God to them and pray for them. There is nothing we can do that will “fire them up”, only God can do that.

No need to use the h word.
Edit by Stovebolts. Removed offending posts this paragraph addressed.

Hot ----> Obedient to Faith
Cold ---> Obedient to the Law
Lukewarm --------->>>> :drool

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I recently heard this term so I looked it up to see what it meant and I discovered that a lukewarm Christian is somebody who claims to be a Christian but their actions speak differently. However, my question is, just because they might not always appear to be Christians, doesn't God warn us in the Bible to never be fooled by appearances? I mean I have already confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior and have recently got baptized in His name but I'm just going to be honest here, although I love Him very much I don't always place Him as my number one priority like I should and there are places where I feel like I'm more worldly than spiritual. My question is since salvation isn't earned by works in the first place and only God is perfect, does that make me less of a Christian? I wouldn't think that it would since I did the one thing that the Bible requires of me to make it to Heaven, however, Jesus also makes a very interesting point here in Revelation 3:16

"So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

So wait a minute! Jesus already said that those that come to Him He will never drive away and John 3:16 is very clear that all believers will never perish and have everlasting life. So could somebody please explain to me what this all means?

Staying lukewarm means you are not growing in faith which is the knowledge of Christ and can very easily dismiss Him in your life as you put the worldly things before you and the cross behind you. This is why Jesus stated in Rev 3:15 that I wish you were cold or hot as you are either not of this world putting Christ above all things in your life or that you put the worldly things first in your life keeping Jesus in a box and taking Him out only when you feel you need Him.

I call lukewarm Christians Sunday Christians. These people are Christians only on Sundays when they go to Church but blend in with the world the other six days. All we can do with these Christians is teach the Word of God to them and pray for them. There is nothing we can do that will “fire them up”, only God can do that.

We call them SMO's...........Sunday morning only as they carry their Bible and maybe read along during the service and yet have no clue what was preached. The rest of the week their Bible is kept on a shelf and never opened again till the next Sunday. Hosea 4:6,7

Staying lukewarm means you are not growing in faith which is the knowledge of Christ and can very easily dismiss Him in your life as you put the worldly things before you and the cross behind you. This is why Jesus stated in Rev 3:15 that I wish you were cold or hot as you are either not of this world putting Christ above all things in your life or that you put the worldly things first in your life keeping Jesus in a box and taking Him out only when you feel you need Him.

Well that definitely isn't the type of person that I am. The Lord means an awful lot to me since my salvation comes from Him and He loved me enough to die for me. Although I admit, sometimes I slip up and don't put Him first, but it's not like that it's a habit, and I feel extremely guilty about it afterwards and remorseful. :sad It is for this very reason that I know He forgives me though. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been any use for the cross. :cross He died for me just as much as He died for everyone else on here and in the rest of the world. In fact, even if I was the only one who ever sinned, He still would have done it. And the fact that I know all of this just proves I have eternal salvation.

The rest of the latter to Laodicea tells us what to do about it.

Revelation 3:17-19

Buy of me gold tried in fire

If we haven't had our faith tried by fire are we lukewarm? Are we using our faith? Interesting that it says 'buy' not ask for.
Thinking we are rich but we are poor - spiritually.

White garments -

have we accepted Christ's gift of savatkon? Do we think we are saving ourselves? Self righteous?

Anointing eyes with the salve
Are we still searching for truth? or do we think we have the truth and there is nothing else to search for? Do we believe we are right everyone else is wrong? Or are allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us?

Be zealous

Are we really zealous in our love for God? If we were all zealous I believe we would have a revival.

and repent

It's not too late to become zealous to repent.

Revelation 3:20-22

The beautiful promise - a must read

I like the look of that
I will try and get it from the Christian book shop. They have videos and if they haven"t got it they may be able to get it for me. Thanks Ezra and for-his-glory.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back