Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Major dreads of young people

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Once a young man or woman does not have a job/work/career, a girl/boyfriend (maybe married)...and s/he is still living with the parents...this man/woman probably thinks about committing sucicide.

Of course these are the battles to fight and conquer before one becomes a man/woman.

Could it be that our society has evolved into one that has less regard for life than years ago? I know growing up I wouldn't ever consider suicide because I knew God wasn't cool with it.

Could it be that our society has evolved into one that has less regard for life than years ago? I know growing up I wouldn't ever consider suicide because I knew God wasn't cool with it.
Are you saying that you would consider suicide today because you no longer know that God is not cool with it? God is just as uncool about it today as He was centuries ago.

Are you saying that you would consider suicide today because you no longer know that God is not cool with it? God is just as uncool about it today as He was centuries ago.
Good point, WIP.

What I get from the Bible is that suicide is murder.

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." -1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Having said that, I was referring to "suicide" in the most true sense of the word. I know many people throw that word around to mean something a little different. Like, say the enemy is about to kill you. You, as a follower of Christ, decide to turn the other cheek and not defend yourself. Someone might shout, "That was suicide!" But I say, suicide should be solely from your own doing in order to be considered suicide.

I am saying God is still not cool with it but I think our society has groomed us to believe that things that take away from the sanctity of life are OK. Public school's teaching kids evolution, more and more abortions being preformed. I'm not sure what it is but I think suicide was unthinkable 40 years ago.

I am saying God is still not cool with it but I think our society has groomed us to believe that things that take away from the sanctity of life are OK. Public school's teaching kids evolution, more and more abortions being preformed. I'm not sure what it is but I think suicide was unthinkable 40 years ago.

I don't know if it ever was unthinkable.

1 Samual 31
3 The fighting grew very fierce around Saul, and the Philistine archers caught up with him and wounded him severely.
4 Saul groaned to his armor bearer, “Take your sword and kill me before these pagan Philistines come to run me through and taunt and torture me.”
But his armor bearer was afraid and would not do it. So Saul took his own sword and fell on it.
5 When his armor bearer realized that Saul was dead, he fell on his own sword and died beside the king.
6 So Saul, his three sons, his armor bearer, and his troops all died together that same day.

2 Samual 17
21 Then the two men crawled out of the well and hurried on to King David. “Quick!” they told him, “cross the Jordan tonight!” And they told him how Ahithophel had advised that he be captured and killed.
22 So David and all the people with him went across the Jordan River during the night, and they were all on the other bank before dawn.
23 When Ahithophel realized that his advice had not been followed, he saddled his donkey, went to his hometown, set his affairs in order, and hanged himself.

1 Kings 16
15 Zimri began to rule over Israel in the twenty-seventh year of King Asa’s reign in Judah, but his reign in Tirzah lasted only seven days. The army of Israel was then attacking the Philistine town of Gibbethon.
16 When they heard that Zimri had committed treason and had assassinated the king, that very day they chose Omri, commander of the army, as the new king of Israel. 17 So Omri led the entire army of Israel up from Gibbethon to attack Tirzah, Israel’s capital.
18 When Zimri saw that the city had been taken, he went into the citadel of the palace and burned it down over himself and died in the flames. 19 For he, too, had done what was evil in the Lord’s sight.

Matthew 27
3Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.
5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

I'm not convinced we have less regard for life. I do believe that stories of events that happen travel a lot faster today than ever before and we hear more about them today then when I was young.

Murder was one of the oldest recorded criminal acts when Cain murdered Abel.

I have to agree with you. It seems that many years ago, folks did not have material things like today, but they always had the hope that things would be better.

We definitely are far more materialistic today than even a few decades ago.

Once a young man or woman does not have a job/work/career, a girl/boyfriend (maybe married)...and s/he is still living with the parents...this man/woman probably thinks about committing sucicide.

Of course these are the battles to fight and conquer before one becomes a man/woman.

I think that young people need to realise that life is not a straight road, there are curbs, twists and turns that we all have to navigate. I don't want to appear insensitive...but for people to want to commit sucide for the things you mentioned, I think young people must realise that there is a word that is still in the dictionary and most of all in the bible and that word is PATIENCE. I believe that since we live in a instant world, we go on our computers and we send an email and the other person receives it in a matter of seconds.. the electronic and high tech world has cause young people to believe that everything is instant. I believe these disappointments are lessons that should be learned for the greater challenges of life. What if they get married and their wive/husband leave them, a child becomes sick and die. I think that counsellors and particularly parents need to instill in children the desire to steadfast and persevering. Here in the Caribbean young men who are in their 20's and 30's and even 40's can still be at home. Perhaps it is a cultural/black thing...but young people here do not worry about staying at home. Even if they have not found jobs after they finish university, they just take it in stride. Parents tend to take it in stride too.. Blacks folks I have notice do not see suicide as an option... Perhaps the hardship they have suffered has toughen them to the disappointments and hardships of life.

From the perspective of a young man...

It was always difficult finding a nice woman who had decent morals and values. Even young women within the church do not hold to the "no sex before marriage" thing. I do...so of course, that eliminates a majority of available women. There aren't as many young, conservative, christian women as there used to be either. America (among the world) is increasingly becoming secularized.

As far as the job front. I would have to agree. It is really stressful right now, especially when businesses are using the situation of the economy as an excuse not to hire. A degree is almost required just to get an interview these days.

Hard and stressful? Yes...Impossible? Not in the least.

I don't wish I was born 50 years ago or anything like that. I accept the circumstances that I have to face now. God chose for me to be born during this time, so he has a plan in mind!

Suicide is actually a pretty rare situation. It happens and we hear about it enough, but its still rare enough that it is news when it happens. From what I understand about it, suicide is usually what happens when someone is left socially isolated or something shifts their life so hard that they become irrational. Its not really about sex or objects, but more about self worth and feeling connections.

2 examples would be a kid that is constantly picked, doesn't have close friends, the school ignores the kid's situtation, and the family does as well. This causes the kid to regress and seek complete isolation. Since we as people thrive on connections the kid might kill him or herself.

Another is a massive business owner who owned millions or billions in property and investments. Then the market crashes or their stocks crash and the majority of their estate is now next to worthless. Due to the huge blow and loss of the person's worth and world, its a chance that they might not be rational and take a dive.

Property, Shelter, Food and people are all things that help us feel stable and healthy. You take away these things and our world shatters. God fills in for people and can even replace the social aspect in desperate times. This is all based on Maslow's ideas of healthy psychology. When base needs are met, the person is psychologically healthy and can go to fill other needs.

Here in the US we see trends when the economy is low and when it is booming. When its booming, people tend to be happier in general and there is less stress on people for suicide reasons.

What I think needs to be mentioned is that in today's society we have not communicated what it means to feel fulfilled and the materials that come from being fulfilled. Sex, objects, money, free time, are all rewards that come from meeting our basic needs. Having these things don't make you fulfilled, but are an aspect of being fulfilled.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back