Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Man and Woman?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hmmm...
Yes, we can examine the Hebrew expression, but still the word "angular bone" doesn't make any sense and seems a foolish choice between other meanings for the Hebrew word used there, when we list all the synonyms and connotations we could choose to select:
No.

I quoted Gen 2:7 when speaking of "the dust of the earth". That is where we find that Adam became a living soul. You're confusing others by mixing the two quotes interchangeably. Quote from Honest Abe: “How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? [Answer]: Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”

Regarding Genesis 2:7 then, your preference for the word "soul" can be backed up by the Septuagint (LXX)? I've not been able to support your allegation that the same term may be used with respect to Genesis 2:22 about Eve from the rib. Actually, the word we see as "rib" was translated into English in the Interlinear as "angular organs" and then later referred to by Adam as "bone". It may be noted that he said something to the effect of "She shall be called ashe (transliteration), for she is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh." The interlinear gives, "ki m·aish" or "that from man" was taken this one... and later quotes e·adm or 'adam as describing what happened (and her creation) with the phrase, "the once-bone from bones-of-me, and flesh from flesh-of-me..."

Going back to Gen 2:7 (the creation of the first man):

"And God formed the man of dust of the earth and breathed upon his face the breath of life, and the man became a living soul."

Referencing English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons, Ltd., London, 1851

What I've noticed is
e·adm (Adam, the first human), was formed from e·adme (the·ground)

And that he (Adam) became a living soul after God breathed the breath of life into his nostrils. If we want to look at what Adam was formed from, let's do that.

The Greek Word: Genesis 2

There's no getting around it. From 'adamah (out of the ground) was formed 'adam (man) then the Lord breathed into his nostrils and he (man) became a chay nephesh (living being), or if you prefer the Greek, a living psychē. See also Ec 12:7

JFB Commentary said:
"formed" —had FORMED MAN OUT OF THE DUST OF THE GROUND. Science has proved that the substance of our flesh, sinews, and bones, consists of the very same elements as the soil which forms the crust of the earth and the limestone that lies embedded in its bowels. But from that mean material what an admirable structure has been reared in the human body (see Ps 139:14).

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back