Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mark 5:21-29

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Edward

2024 Supporter
21 When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake, a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake. 22 Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. 23 He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.†24 So Jesus went with him.

A large crowd followed and pressed around him. 25 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. 26 She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. 27 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, 28 because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.†29 Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering./ (NIV)

In part of this mornings reading, I came across this. I find it curious and wonder if it is shows significance in some way. A synagogue leader needs help from God. A presumed man of faith. He asks for a laying on of hands. An ordinary woman in the crowd needs help from God. I presume not of the faith as she is no synagogue leader. She does not ask for a laying on of hands or even to ask anything at all but merely thinks to touch even Jesus mere clothing to be healed...(and is in fact!)

The woman showed greater faith than the synagogue leader. How can this be? (LOL). Comments? What is this showing us?

"Of the faith"....what is that really?

The word "faith" is often misused I think. People talk of different denominations and different religions as "faiths". Is that a correct use of the word faith? I don't think so. However, if faith is something we muster up within ourselves, then OK. I guess that's a way to use the word faith.

When I hear the word faith I'm immediately suspect as to exactly how the word is being used. What real meaning the user is placing in it. Are they using it to suggest a man-made idea, or something else?

For example; if you look up the word faith you get more than one definition.

faith Noun

1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
  2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
One just says complete trust, while the other add "Strong belief". #1 seems the stronger definition. #2 requires something of the subject, which could be applied to anything; UFO's, Bigfoot, Santa Clause ....or any religion.

So, when we say "Of the faith" we are really just saying of a belief system; one that requires a certain structure of thought. That's fine, but in and of itself does not give total weight to what it is to have real faith, which is complete trust; not just an idea.

Jesus makes this distinction in the next four verses, and he even has a little fun with it to make a point.

<sup class="versenum">30 </sup>At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”
<sup class="versenum">31 </sup>“You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”
<sup class="versenum">32 </sup>But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. <sup class="versenum">33 </sup>Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. <sup class="versenum">34 </sup>He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

Did Jesus know who touched Him? of course He did, but that's not the point. "Your faith has healed you." Complete trust. A true belief that is beyond any structured knowledge, or detailed examination. This woman did not just believe for the sake of believing. She had faith. She had what many "study" to have.

Some may say faith is built on self-knowledge, but truly it is built on self-ignorance, and manifest, or displays itself stronger as such when there is nothing to challenge it. This may not be easily accepted by anyone seeking to disseminate the truth from fiction, but it has to be the basis of real faith, and if it is, then it can not come from mans own effort to believe for the sake of believing. This is not a pill easily swallowed, because it says that real faith is not from us, but others will disagree and hammer the idea that it is, right into the message. Why? because they have "faith in "faith". That's not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward,
Your observing some good truths and the more you start to see what actually occurred in Jesus' ministry and what transpired as He interacted with individuals the more you will see a pattern of how God and Jesus interact with men and then you can take these truths and live by them. In the account you referenced which is also in Luke 8:40-55, you will see that the two people seeking help (Jairus and the woman with the issue of blood) both had faith and this faith was trust and a confidence, but more specifically it was faith and trust in something specific. Jairus faith was that if Jesus laid His hands on his daughter she would be made well (Matthew 5:23). I have no chapter and verse for this but I believe that Jairus probably had this faith because he had heard of all the 1000's of people Jesus had prayed for and laid hands on and they were healed - Faith comes by hearing (Romans 10:17). The woman had faith that if she could just touch the hem of Jesus' garmet that she would be made well (Matthew 5:28 & Mark 5:28). Faith is of the heart and it is evident that this woman believed this in her heart because she kept saying it and out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh (Matthew 12:34 & Luke 6:45). Now did Jesus have to lay hands on Jairus' daughter for her to made well? No - see the account of the "centution's servant" (Luke 7) and you will see the truth that Jesus responds to faith and meets people according to their faith (Matthew 8:13 & Matthew 9:29). Now, Mr. Danus above makes some good points and is well versed but I disagree with him on one point - that Jesus knew who touched Him. I could be wrong but when I read the acccount in all three Gospels I see Jesus genuinely trying to distinguish who touched Him and His disciples recognized Him genuinely asking this because they say "Look at the crowds." People then wonder how could Jesus not know when at other times He knows people's thoughts but this can be explained by the truth that He was both fully God and fully man and what theologians often refer to as the "kenosis." This word basically refers to Jesus emptying Himself (Philippians 2:7) and being found in the fashion of a man. What Christians often miss is that Jesus ministered as a man annointed with the Holy Spirit (see Acts: 10:38, Matthew 12:28). This Holy Spirit came upon Him at His baptism and He had the "Spirit without measure" (John 3:34). As a result you can expect that Jesus, the Head of the Church, functioned in every gift and office of the Spirit that He would later give to the Church. See the list in 1 Corinthians 12:28 and you will see that Jesus in the Scriptures also fills these offices. Likewise you can easily recognize many of the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:7-10) in His ministry. Further, evidence of Jesus ministering as a man is the fact that He prayed and was tempted - God does not have to pray to Himself nor is He tempted in the fashion that Jesus was in the wilderness. Jesus, the eternal Jesus, the Word through whom everything was created, became flesh and humbled Himself to redeem man.

But, aside from this point we need to get back to faith, and your question "What can we learn from this?" I want you to observe in the account you referenced that this woman did not even speak with Jesus before her healing, she did not ask any questions first, she did not wonder if it was Jesus' will, she did not check if the timing was right - she just received one by faith. You should also make note that this boldness of her's is often criticized by religious folks as presumptious or prideful but Jesus always rejoiced when people demonstrated such faith - when they ripped roofs apart to get to Him. This woman was living what Jesus said in Mark 9:23. Now, with regards to Jairus, note that when those from his house brought him bad news that his daughter died, Jesus did not say, "Well, God's will is mysterious" "It was just her time" or any of the things people often say - Jesus says, "Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole" (Luke 8:50). Jesus does not tell Jairus, "she will be ok", He says "believe only and she'll be ok". The emphasis is on Jairus' believing or you could say his faith. Jairus could have broke down screaming "it's over" and never have seen a miracle. See how what I am saying corresponds with the story of Peter walking on the water (Matthew 14:27-31) and what is said in these verses (Mark 11:23-24 & Matthew 17:17 & 20 & James 1:5-7). The truth that we learn is that we can walk in and have anything that is God's will but we receive them by faith (Hebrews 6:12). The next question that boggles people is, "What is God's will?" But this is answered. God's will for most of what we encounter in life is found in the Bible. When you see Jesus you have seen the Father and everything Jesus did was an exact representation of the will of God - a will that does not change just as Jesus does not change (Hebrews 13:8). The woman with the issue of blood did not wonder if Jesus wanted her well, she did not entertain the idea of if God was teaching her something or building patience in her, she knew Jesus had healed multitudes and if He did it for them then she could partake of His grace also. Think about these truths and then think what would happen if the Church lost them - if they always went to prayer with a "We don't know what God will do" mentality. I have heard people refer to the promises of God as "feel good verses." Well guess what - they don't work for people who regard them as such. Then what we need to do is develop doctrines that make excuses for why things happen the way they do. Recently, I received a phone call that our friends very young daughter was rushed to hospital and they found she had cancer (leukemia). At first my heart sank, and I had a flood of emotions. Then I was angered at the enemy and his workings (John 10:10) but then I had to start looking to God. I know God does not do this nor is He pleased with it and those who think so need to do some rethinking and rereading (Jesus did not deliver people from the work of the Father). Anyways, I started focusing of the promises of God (like Mark 16:18) because when I went to the hospital, I did not want to be praying as one who waivers, doubting or wondering, I wanted to pray knowing. When you speak to a mountain you need to know it is going to move and when you command a sickness to die you must believe that God is backing His Words. Many people have prayed for her (not just me) and the Glory belongs to God, but at her last check she is cancer free. When I have prayed and things didn't go like I hoped I never create a new theology - I know God's promises are true and I begin to look at where I may have missed it and I try not to let it influence the next time I pray. If you are going to have faith like the people you read about you are going to have to focus on the Word and what God says and be selective to what you listen to. What is Jairus listened to those who came from his house? What if the woman with the issue of blood was met by some preacher who said, "Sister, this is your cross to bear, miracles have passed away, etc.."? Would she have remained in faith? Think on these things. God Bless!

Nice post Heb11:6. Very thorough, and biblical. I relent to your description of Christ nature as well, but I think we often fine the line between God and Christ as a man difficult to distinguish. So, I like to lean toward God with us in the very real sense, although we can't keep that concept only can we.

Great post.

21 When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake, a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake. 22 Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. 23 He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.” 24 So Jesus went with him.

A large crowd followed and pressed around him. 25 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. 26 She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. 27 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, 28 because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” 29 Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering./ (NIV)

In part of this mornings reading, I came across this. I find it curious and wonder if it is shows significance in some way. A synagogue leader needs help from God. A presumed man of faith. He asks for a laying on of hands. An ordinary woman in the crowd needs help from God. I presume not of the faith as she is no synagogue leader. She does not ask for a laying on of hands or even to ask anything at all but merely thinks to touch even Jesus mere clothing to be healed...(and is in fact!)

The woman showed greater faith than the synagogue leader. How can this be? (LOL). Comments? What is this showing us?
Yes my brother the Holy Spirit is trying to show you something?
The synagogue is the home of the law of moses, as a general rule, it represents the judgment of God against all men.
The woman with the issue of blood, 12 representing the church and the bride of Christ. Who is drawn out of the mutiltudes of the nations seeking His righteousness, which is represented by His garment.
Notice all those who the Lord said had "great faith"? all where gentiles and where not under the law? Because the law is not of faith. The whole purpose of the law was to bring the jew to the sacrifice of the temple, which was all a shadow of faith in His Blood. Its kinda hard to part it all out but part of aspects of the law represented faith in Christ and other parts represented the sinful flesh of man. These two aspects of the Old Testament worked together to hold the people in a condition of waiting upon the Lord. As Paul describes in Gal.
Now read 2 Cor 3 and you can see that the law actually worked against those who looked to the law? The gentile did not have this blindness upon thier heart and mind, and when they saw The Lord, they accepted Him in childlike faith.

Very interesting and thought provoking responses from all. Thank you. Let's toss this around a little, shall we?

Some may say faith is built on self-knowledge, but truly it is built on self-ignorance, and manifest, or displays itself stronger as such when there is nothing to challenge it.

I find this statement to be very profound and it has the aroma of truth to it. As Mitspa noted, Jairus was a synagogue leader and so probably well versed in the law, perhaps too much; whereas the Gentile woman was not and so had no stumbling block to challenge her faith or belief that she would be healed upon touching Jesus clothing. Very much a childlike faith (Matthew 18:3) or a blind faith if you will, and being blind (to the law) she could then see. (John 9: 39-41)

she did not ask any questions first, she did not wonder if it was Jesus' will, she did not check if the timing was right - she just received one by faith. You should also make note that this boldness of her's is often criticized by religious folks as presumptious or prideful but Jesus always rejoiced when people demonstrated such faith

A childlike faith. To me, not presumptuous or prideful at all, but rather a simple childlike faith. In her weakness was Gods power made strong, and it seems to me that Jesus rejoicing in this type of faith actually confirms this, yes?

This woman was living what Jesus said in Mark 9:23.

Agreed. But as an aside, would this scripture also confirm the notion that of course Jesus knew who touched him? I believe that Jesus did know who touched him. I believe that while he did humble himself to be as a man and subject to all the temptations of man, he also surely believed. If he knew the thoughts of others, he knew who touched him. Even as a man he certainly held the highest belief and greatest faith of all. This would allow him to be able to know these things; Indeed, the same is possible for man, if he can only believe to the same degree that Jesus did. I believe that Jesus was merely leading the woman (crowd) down a certain path with his words.

Agreed. But as an aside, would this scripture also confirm the notion that of course Jesus knew who touched him? I believe that Jesus did know who touched him. I believe that while he did humble himself to be as a man and subject to all the temptations of man, he also surely believed. If he knew the thoughts of others, he knew who touched him. Even as a man he certainly held the highest belief and greatest faith of all. This would allow him to be able to know these things; Indeed, the same is possible for man, if he can only believe to the same degree that Jesus did. I believe that Jesus was merely leading the woman (crowd) down a certain path with his words.
Here is another very important issue that I have heard some teaching on? This woman with the issue of blood, was in complete transgression of the law, because she was considered defiled by the blood issue. Anyone who she touched was considered unclean also, according to the law.

The Lord often broke what some would see as the "letter" of the law, but we know of course that He never broke any law but fulfilled all righteousness of the law.

So I think the fact that she touched Him, contrary to the written code, is a very large part of this truth. I have not got my mind around it all, there are so many deep truths in this portion of scripture.

Edward,
Your observing some good truths and the more you start to see what actually occurred in Jesus' ministry and what transpired as He interacted with individuals the more you will see a pattern of how God and Jesus interact with men and then you can take these truths and live by them

This was a wonderful post and so edifying. I hope you do not mind that I have saved it on my computer so I can refer back to it.
I know a man who I'm sure was standing on Mark 9:23 (as well as other things he knew) when his son was raised from the dead after being pronounced dead in a Colorado Springs hospital. Dead approximately 5 hours. Jesus the same yesterday, today, and forever. Glory to God!

To all,

I am thankful that some of you profited by my post and after reading some of the follow up comments I just want to clarify on some things so as to help assure that as you move on with this subject that you don't get off track. First off, don't over spiritualize this account trying to decipher things that are not plainly there - these people don't represent "things" they were two real people who each had individual faith and the lessons contained therein do not clearly speak to the law, gentiles, etc. Could you fathom some analogies? Maybe - but I would say they are not clear enough to be building theology from. Next, concerning Jesus knowing who touched Him - I hold to what I stated but I won't dispute if Jesus knew or not, maybe He did. The point I want to clarify is how Jesus would have known. Mark 9:23 does not pertain to Jesus knowing and I'll explain. If Jesus knew who touched Him because of His divinity then this knowledge would be contributed to God's omnipotence. If Jesus did not who touched Him but knew other things (like what men were thinking) this would be due to the word of wisdom or the word of knowledge that are gifts given by the Holy Spirit. (i.e. the when Holy Spirit reveals things to an individual that they need to know.) Mark 9:23 cannot be interpretted to mean that if you have enough faith you can know people's thoughts. Here is the thing about faith, it's not magic, nor is it some strange power to just make things happen (like mind science or some other weird thing) it is faith in God (Mark 11:22). I spend quite a bit of time studying faith and teaching on it and there are some things to remember:

1. Our faith is not in faith (in other words - my confidence does not rest in faith in and of itself). My faith is in God - and the reason I can have confidence that what I have prayed for or spoken will come to pass is because I have faith that God can be trusted and what He has said in His Word is true. This difference can seem subtle but people can err if they think they can just whip up anything. Which brings me to my second point.

2. You can only have faith in something God has said or in something that is in accordance with His Will. For example: Let's say someone decides to have "faith" that they are going to live to the age of six hundred. Will what they believe come to pass? No - God has capped men's years. What if a man decided to have "faith" that the world would be globally flooded again? Would it? No - God said it would not. Now I chose these because they are rather ridiculously obvious but they clarify the point.

Let's consider Abraham. God promised him a son and despite all natural circmustances he believed God (see Romans 4:18-22) - this was faith (based upon what God had said) and faith is what pleases God and allowed Abraham to receive what was promised. Think again of Peter walking on the water. He had the Lord's word "come". When Peter had faith in this word, He could walk on the water. When circumstances overshadowed his faith (or confidence in the spoken word of the Lord) - he began to sink. Now, consider the Israelites who were promised a land of milk and honey. They saw the circumstances (giants, walled cities, etc.) and chose not to believe the promise of God and they could not enter into the land because of their unbelief (Hebrews 3:19). When they get word that they have messed up they tried to go and take the Land on their own, thinking they could, and they were defeated (Numbers 14:39-45).

So here is where you keep your faith - in God. His Word - our Bible - is full of promises pertaining to your future, your health, your provision, your peace, and the list goes on. The Lord has also made us exceedingly amazing promises conveying to us that He will answer our prayers. When circumstances smack us in life, like all the one's we saw Jesus deal with in the lives of people, we stand on the promises of God and where we want to be is in faith (in other words our heart is settled in the reality that what we have prayed for is answered). Contrast this to people wondering if God even hears their prayers.

Go back to the story I conveyed of the young girl with cancer. Cancer can be intimidating to us and in situations like this we have to see the promises God has made as greater. When I entered her room and saw her little face I wanted to cry, not because of dispair but because of compassion. I did not waiver about what the will of the Lord was - I know what Jesus would have done - I know what He said in Matthew 18:14 and no confused preacher was going to convince me that God might want another angel in heaven (I've heard this at a child's funeral). The challenge was not whether God's promises can be trusted - it was whether the cirumstances would overshadow them.

In this life we deal with "stuff" and we need to have the Word anchored in us to overcome. How can you tell what you believe? Check what you say when the "stuff" comes. If we walk around talking about the problem - the giants, the waves, the symptoms, etc., this is not good. Now for something practical for us to do - locate things in God's Word that pertain directly to the circumstances that are facing you - then take these verses and make them a continual part of your day - read them, speak them (Deuteronomy 6:6-9 & Joshua 1:8). This is not some strange ritual but it is keeping what God has said continually before you and then these words will become more real to you. You cannot read a verse one time and them talk about a problem for two months and think you're going to have faith. This is why I have taken the time to write these things - it is not for the sake of "good discussion" - it is so that you, my brethren, will grow in the knowledge of God and walk more in what is available to us. This brings glory to God. All the promises of God are yes in Christ (2 Corinthians 1:20). God Bless!

1. Our faith is not in faith (in other words - my confidence does not rest in faith in and of itself). My faith is in God - and the reason I can have confidence that what I have prayed for or spoken will come to pass is because I have faith that God can be trusted and what He has said in His Word is true. This difference can seem subtle but people can err if they think they can just whip up anything. Which brings me to my second point.

That is a very subtle yet significant difference and I see what you are saying. As I look inwardly with this perspective in mind, I see that I have been erring n this fashion, at least some. It is easy to say that I have faith in God and to have faith in faith unconsciously instead. Perspective is everything here! I feel much edified by your post, and thank you brother.

Oh, I forgot as I signed out. I meant to convey to Deborah13 that I am thankful for what the Lord did for your friend's son and I am ever thankful that He remains the same. Keep on believing and God Bless!

In response to Heb 11 post, You seem to have been downplaying the importance of who and what the people in these scriptures represent? No detail of scripture is without its importance and meaning. The scriptures all work together as a whole. The truth revealed in the epistles of Paul, are the keys that open these doors of revelation in the gospels. For instance when the Lord told the young lady about to be "stoned" by those who "claimed" to uphold the law. The Lord told her "nor do I condemn thee, go and sin no more" Now only through Pauls report do we understand the that only when we are set free from condemnation of the law, do we have power over sin.
"for sin will not have dominion over you, because you are not under law but under grace" So you see, every detail of scripture is a deep well of understanding. I would also say that it is not wise to judge another mans ability to understand such things by the limits of ones own understanding. Nor limit another mans faith by the limits of your own.
All these people and all the information concerning them is there for our brother Edward to explore as he is guided by the Holy Spirit. I find it a bit offensive that you attempt to cast the limits of your own understanding upon our conversation.
I do not know you, but I am a called teacher of Gods Word and would suggest you approach such things with fear and trembling, instead of the appearance of pride that I see in your post.
"IF ANY MAN THINKS HE KNOWS ANYTHING, LET HIM ADMIT HE KNOWS NOTHING YET AS HE SHOULD KNOW"

Heb11:6,
Thank you for that. Have you ever considered a couple of things.

1. What was Jesus wearing?
2. What Jesus was wearing, was it prophecied in the OT? Specifically in Malachi 4.

And maybe a 3rd. What are the parallels between the bleeding women and Jairus?

Last edited by a moderator:
only when we are set free from condemnation of the law, do we have power over sin.
"for sin will not have dominion over you, because you are not under law but under grace" So you see, every detail of scripture is a deep well of understanding. I would also say that it is not wise to judge another mans ability to understand such things by the limits of ones own understanding. Nor limit another mans faith by the limits of your own.

That couldn't be done if I am being guided by the Holy Spirit myself. The worst thing I could do is to not be honest with myself. When a man sees himself to be altogether lost and ruined, covered all over with the defilement of sin, and in no part free from pollution; when he disclaims all righteousness of his own, and pleads guilty before the Lord, then he is clean through the blood of Jesus, and the grace of God. Hidden, unfelt, unconfessed iniquity is the true leprosy; but when sin is seen and felt, it has received its deathblow, and the Lord looks with eyes of mercy upon the soul afflicted with it. Nothing is more deadly than self-righteousness, or more hopeful than contrition. We must confess that we are "nothing else but sin," for no confession short of this will be the whole truth; and if the Holy Spirit be at work with us, convincing us of sin, there will be no difficulty about making such an acknowledgment--it will spring spontaneously from our lips.

A short while back, I was in a tight spot and needed money. I prayed for help in the morning, and having faith, knew that the Lord would help me. I continued my day thinking about my woes and casually saying to myself, I have faith God will help me, yet continuing to seek an answer myself. In the afternoon, I found myself asking friends if I could borrow some money all the while casually telling myself that it would be God that provided a way and thinking that if one of my friends had the money to loan me, that it would be God helping me...and suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. That this is not having faith in God at all. I was double talking myself and thinking it was having faith. Asking God for help, and then looking to men for the help through efforts of my own. Continuing to worry after I had asked for Gods help! So I prayed again and asked forgiveness for my lack of faith. I laid my problem at Jesus feet and decided to have real faith in God by putting it out of my mind and letting it go. No more worry or concern about the matter; and turned my attention to God. Busied myself with learning more about God and his ways, without a care in the world. I think you can guess what happened then? Oh yes, The Lord came to me and blessed me.

Heb11:6,
Thank you for that. Have you ever considered a couple of things.

1. What was Jesus wearing?
2. What Jesus was wearing, was it prophecied in the OT? Specifically in Malachi 4.

And maybe a 3rd. What are the parallels between the bleeding women and Jairus?

I hope I can give what I think the answer is to the first two questions are. The third one is harder.

The wings in Malachi refer to the robe Jesus wore and the tzitzit attached is what the woman touched when she was healed.

...When a man sees himself to be altogether lost and ruined, covered all over with the defilement of sin, and in no part free from pollution; when he disclaims all righteousness of his own, and pleads guilty before the Lord, then he is clean through the blood of Jesus, and the grace of God. Hidden, unfelt, unconfessed iniquity is the true leprosy; but when sin is seen and felt, it has received its deathblow, and the Lord looks with eyes of mercy upon the soul afflicted with it. Nothing is more deadly than self-righteousness, or more hopeful than contrition. We must confess that we are "nothing else but sin," for no confession short of this will be the whole truth; and if the Holy Spirit be at work with us, convincing us of sin, there will be no difficulty about making such an acknowledgment--it will spring spontaneously from our lips. ...
Thank you for this. It is the true meat of the word and rightly helps us to see that through the commandment sin is become utterly sinful.

I hope I can give what I think the answer is to the first two questions are. The third one is harder.

The wings in Malachi refer to the robe Jesus wore and the tzitzit attached is what the woman touched when she was healed.
The bleeding women would have known this verse in Malachi 4:2 But for you who fear My name, the <SUP class=crossreference value='(D)'></SUP>sun of righteousness will rise with <SUP class=crossreference value='(E)'></SUP>healing in its wings...

Wings are what the tzitzit are commonly referred to and interesting she touched the tassel as if you ever saw tzitzit's, you would know one would have to aim to touch it. We also know they were not the long, audacious type the pharisees were wearing Matthew 23:5. They would have been small and humble representing his humility.

As far as the parallels:

1. The woman was ill 12 years. The girl was 12 years.
2. The woman was poor and an outcast due to her illness for the last 12 years. Finding a husband would have been impossible. She would have been considered a leper as she would make others around her who came into contact with her, ritually impure. Jairus was a wealthy, religious leader of the synagogue. The daughter would have had a life of privilege since being born. One unprivileged, the other privileged.
3. The woman quietly touched his tassels. Jairus made a spectacle by publicly and boldy coming to Jesus.
4. Jesus called attention to the woman's faith and exalts her from her humble position. Jesus told Jairus to keep the healing private. Maybe to humble him (?)
5. Jesus loves both the woman and the daughter to heal both of them.

For me these passages speak to Jesus's abounding love regardless of which position they come from in society. He loves all who have faith.

TY, Sparrowhawke, That's a lot of parallels Ryan! I hadn't realized all of them. Good points!

Thanks Ryan, I had thought of several of these either. And I didn't know the tzitzit was called the wing. I pictured the wing as the sleeve or the edge of the robe.

That couldn't be done if I am being guided by the Holy Spirit myself. The worst thing I could do is to not be honest with myself. When a man sees himself to be altogether lost and ruined, covered all over with the defilement of sin, and in no part free from pollution; when he disclaims all righteousness of his own, and pleads guilty before the Lord, then he is clean through the blood of Jesus, and the grace of God. Hidden, unfelt, unconfessed iniquity is the true leprosy; but when sin is seen and felt, it has received its deathblow, and the Lord looks with eyes of mercy upon the soul afflicted with it. Nothing is more deadly than self-righteousness, or more hopeful than contrition. We must confess that we are "nothing else but sin," for no confession short of this will be the whole truth; and if the Holy Spirit be at work with us, convincing us of sin, there will be no difficulty about making such an acknowledgment--it will spring spontaneously from our lips.

A short while back, I was in a tight spot and needed money. I prayed for help in the morning, and having faith, knew that the Lord would help me. I continued my day thinking about my woes and casually saying to myself, I have faith God will help me, yet continuing to seek an answer myself. In the afternoon, I found myself asking friends if I could borrow some money all the while casually telling myself that it would be God that provided a way and thinking that if one of my friends had the money to loan me, that it would be God helping me...and suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. That this is not having faith in God at all. I was double talking myself and thinking it was having faith. Asking God for help, and then looking to men for the help through efforts of my own. Continuing to worry after I had asked for Gods help! So I prayed again and asked forgiveness for my lack of faith. I laid my problem at Jesus feet and decided to have real faith in God by putting it out of my mind and letting it go. No more worry or concern about the matter; and turned my attention to God. Busied myself with learning more about God and his ways, without a care in the world. I think you can guess what happened then? Oh yes, The Lord came to me and blessed me.

I am glad the Lord had me read this post again! Because I did not get what you were saying the first time I read it.

I think because I am so confident in Gods Righteousness, some see this as pride or some sort of religious self-confidence? I have been broken and I am sure that nothing good lives in my flesh. This pain this weakness is my greatest strength? Because it was in this place that I found true Life, and I found a God who loves me. I love when some of the Lords followers left Him, and He ask the others "will you leave also"? Peter replied "where would we go Lord? YOU HAVE THE WORDS OF LIFE" i have no other hope, but Gods grace and mercy. If it is not by grace? I will, without question fail!
If those who need Him most are granted more of Him? I will never fall, for I know that by His grace I stand. There is no other option for me, death has no hold over those who have already decided to die with Him, is better than to live in this world without Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back