Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Marks of a True Christian

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
More Marks of a Christian:
When I was talking to others, in another forum, about what makes a Christian, I believe the question was
something like, why do you think you know truth, and we don't?
I was trying to think of the verses to go with that.

How do Christians know, why do they understand the bible, when others don't? Why is there marked agreement among true believers, and obvious discord between believers and backsliders, or lost people?

These verse came to me, today, praise God:
1 John, 2:20-
But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

More verses to go along with that are:
Luke 4:18
Acts 10:38
Hebrews 1:9
Mark 1:24
John 10:4,5

Also, 1 John 2: 27, clearly explains why true believers agree, and are all taught the SAME THING:
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

True believers agree because:
the anointing from God is in us
the anointing is: the Holy Ghost
the Comforter, and the same Holy Ghost is in all true believers,
therefore, we all are taught the same thing, therefore,

we all agree, and quickly are able to identify each other, just by a simple
conversation.
True believers agree because:
the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie,

Therefore, since we are taught the absolute truth, and yes, there IS absolute truth,
we KNOW the truth, and we are set free from confusion, doubt, and the darkness that is in the world
today, we are set free from false teachers, from ungodly doctrines, we KNOW the truth, because every day,

the Holy Ghost within us, comforts us, by teaching us the absolute truth.

We then are armored with the armor of God, and able to withstand the fiery darts of the wicked,

we are then equipped with knowledge of truth, the ONLY truth, which is the Word of God.

We are then able to identify with, and fellowship with, other believers in Christ.
We are the body of Christ. We follow the good shepherd, and go in and out to pasture, by the
door, which is Christ Jesus, our Lord.
We do not follow another shepherd, we know the voice of Jesus. We follow Him.

This is why TRUE BELIEVERS in JESUS CHRIST agree.

Biblereader said:
Yes, but doesn't this just amount to saying that someone who doesn't agree with you isn't a true believer?

There are over 30,000 denominations of people professing Christianity. Surely this indicates that believers don't agree.

Good one Logical bob. :lol

Sorry all, that just brought a laugh to me.

Look I am a Christian, I follow Christ and study the word daily. I'm not pointing anyone out here, and I can get behind what your saying biblereader, but there seems to be something ambiguous about the OP. I can't place my finger on it, but if I had to I'd have to get behind logical bob's question.

I know many Christians who don't always agree with what I think about certain doctrines or verses or eschatology, ...what have you, but I know they are Christians and I believe them to be saved as much as I am. I know Catholics, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalians, and even Seventh-day Adventist (dare I say it) I can add to that list, that I fully expect to see in heaven some day right there with me. I guess I'll be very disappointed if I don't see them.

I am saved through faith in Christ by the grace of God. Because of that I will follow God, but I hope he does not administer a test on the whole bible without it being an open book test. Otherwise I will fail.

The Bible makes it clear what the marks of a true Christian are: Those who confess with their mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe in their hearts that He was raised from the dead and whose fruit bears witness to their confession: the fruit being love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Divisions arise mainly because of spiritual pride and prejudice, sad to say. But, I don't really think that there is a case to be made, either biblically or practically, that just because two people disagree over a doctrinal matter then one must not be a Christian.

:) Take for instance this post. I'm now disagreeing with Biblereader on this issue. That certainly doesn't make either mine nor Biblereader's genuine faith in our Lord suspect does it?

That said, I do believe that there are some things that all born-again believers will be in agreement with. I'm not going to say what they are though, because it would probably give rise to some disagreement. :lol

logical bob said:
Biblereader said:
Yes, but doesn't this just amount to saying that someone who doesn't agree with you isn't a true believer?

There are over 30,000 denominations of people professing Christianity. Surely this indicates that believers don't agree.

Believers always agree. Various denominations tell you that there are a LOT of people on the broad path, that leadeth to destruction.
If you closely examine the teachings, rules, doctrine, and even the bibles used, by various denominations, you will see the majority of them don't line up with Scripture.
Jesus said not to add to, nor to take away from His Word. It's a serious offense to do that.

Jesus said there are few that find the way to Heaven. FEW. That accounts for the various denominations, which are not in line with New Testament Scripture.
It doesn't amount to saying if you don't agree with me, you're lost.
It says, if you don't agree with the BIBLE, you are lost.
I'm just the messenger, not the author of the Bible.

MMarc said:
That's a big Amen Bible reader.

:)

Mmarc, I see you are a sparse poster. That's good. The more you get into the habit of posting, and getting into discussions, the more likely your walk will be tainted, so, stay pure.
Watch out where you go, and whom you post to, and especially be careful to have your armor on, and you spiritual sword sharp, before you do battle.

Danus said:
I know many Christians who don't always agree with what I think about certain doctrines or verses or eschatology, ...

Like what, Danus?
What verses in the bible, do you find others disagreeing with you about?
What doctrines do you have conflict, with others, about?

Biblereader said:
Danus said:
I know many Christians who don't always agree with what I think about certain doctrines or verses or eschatology, ...

Like what, Danus?

Take a gander at the Apologetic Threads for some examples of subjects of disagreement...

While there may be some agreement among all Christians, there is also a lot of disagreement, on some very important things:

Can man lose salvation?
Does Baptism save?
Must I eat the flesh of Jesus Christ?
Is Jesus God?
Is God a Trinity of Persons?

Just a few to begin with...

I agree with Handy, and I probably will be amazed on who will be in heaven. The extent of God's Love is much more than I can imagine.

Regards

Biblereader said:
Danus said:

Like what, Danus?

Well I believe we are saved by our faith in Christ alone. That Jesus paid the price for us on the cross and that is where it was finished. When we accept that we receive salvation as a free gift. There are some Christians who think that's not enough. I think they are as saved as I am, but I don't think they may think the same of me, but that's OK. So, one doctrine I have conflict with is "Infused Righteousnesses" VS "Imputed Righteousness" for starters.

So, what other Christians might you not think are true Christians?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back