Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Mary And Martha Are Contrasted

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
Friday 2-28-20, Adar 3, 5780 6th. day of the weekly cycle, 70th. Winter day

Luke Ten:38-42 (KJV)

Mary And Martha Are Contrasted:

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Love always, Walter and Debbie

Mary Magdalene (called Magdalene because she was born in Magdala, Israel) and Mary named Marie of Bethany (born at Al-Eizariya name for modern Bethany) are not the same person.

Side note: Marie and Mary are the same name. My Great Aunt's name was Marie when she lived in Romania, but when she came to America it was pronounced Mary.

According to the Genealogy of Eucharis and Cyrus who was the King of the Benjamite tribe in Magdala and a descendant from the House of David are the parents of Mary Magdalene, Mary/Marie of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus.

Mary Magdalene was born in Magdala hence the surname Magdalene, Mary/Marie of Bethany was born in Al-Eizariya later known as Bethany, Martha born in Palestine and was the mother of Mark and John who was a widow, Lazarus was born in Al-Eizariya (Bethany).

This was Mary Magdalene, daughter of Eucharis and Cyrus, a sister to Mary of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus. The other Mary is described in Mark 16:1 as Mary the mother of James and Salome and the wife of Zebedee.

Luke 8:2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils.

This is the same Mary who had the alabaster jar filled with perfume who poured the perfume over the head of Jesus and also washed and kissed the feet of Jesus, Matthew 26:6-9; Luke 7:36-50; John 12:1-3.

Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus parents were Cyrus and Eucharis from Magdala along the sea of Galilee where Cyrus was the King over the tribe of Benjamin being a royal descendant of the house of David. They had a castle there called Magdalon. A family of wealth and after Cyrus died the children inherited vast riches and possessions. Lazarus took to the military life, Martha ruled her possessions with great discretion and was a model of virtue and propriety sort of addicted to worldly cares. Probably was why she fussed so much when Jesus came to their house. Mary Magdalene involved herself with luxurious pleasures and extravagant life style she was known through all the country as "The Sinner" and very promiscuous. The seven demons which posse her that Jesus cast out of her where the seven deadly sins: gluttony, fornication, covetousness, anger, spiritual sluggishness and ego.

Martha took a very humble role of a servant...not worthy to receive a lesson from Jesus but instead busy herself with taking care of the Rabbi and his disciples.
Mary went and acted like she was equal with the men...listening and learning from Jesus.
Martha believed that she was right and Mary was wrong...humility would win in her mind.
But Jesus had other thoughts.

Martha took a very humble role of a servant...not worthy to receive a lesson from Jesus but instead busy herself with taking care of the Rabbi and his disciples.
Mary went and acted like she was equal with the men...listening and learning from Jesus.
Martha believed that she was right and Mary was wrong...humility would win in her mind.

I would be just like Mary, not being able to tare myself away hanging on every word Jesus spoke.

Mary took the better way.
What could be more important than learning from Jesus?

Once again, showing that works alone will not save....
but faith with works will save.

Jesus wants us to serve Him with heart and not only with action.

(although we know that Martha loved him too).

I really identify with the two sisters, Mary and Martha. Before I knew Christ I wanted to be Martha so I was very domestic. Then I went to college and found out how much I loved to learn so I saw myself as Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus. One of the churches I went to was patriarchal and tried to make me be Martha. They kept directing me to the kitchen to help out while I wanted to go to the men's Bible study. I left and went to the Quakers. The early feminists were Quaker women so I fit right in.

About the third Mary . . .
When I first came to God in 1982, I had a romantic adventure with Christ before I met my husband Frank. I used to pretend I was Mary Magdalene following him around and listening to his sermons. For the first time I understand what nuns go through when they marry Christ and wear a ring.

I got married, but Christ remained number one. Anyway, I am just happy that they now understand that Mary Magdalene was NOT a prostitute. Although it would not matter to me, it is just not true. She was a student of Christ if not another disciple.

Last edited:
I really identify with the two sisters, Mary and Martha. Before I knew Christ I wanted to be Martha so I was very domestic. Then I went to college and found out how much I loved to learn so I saw myself as Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus. One of the churches I went to was patriarchal and tried to make me be Martha. They kept directing me to the kitchen to help out while I wanted to go to the men's Bible study. I left and went to the Quakers. The early feminists were Quaker women so I fit right in.

When I first came to God in 1982, I had a romantic adventure with Christ before I met my husband Frank. I used to pretend I was Mary Magdalene following him around and listening to his sermons. For the first time I understand what nuns go through when they marry Christ and wear a ring.

I got married, but Christ remained number one. Anyway, I am just happy that they now understand that Mary Magdalene was NOT a prostitute. Although it would not matter to me, it is just not true. She was a student of Christ if not another disciple.
Hi Susannah,,,
It's wonderful to get to know you and the experiences you've had with God.

But, actually Mary Magdalene was not this Mary.
Mary, the sister of Martha is a different Mary.
They were Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus...they lived in Bethany, about a 30 minute walk north of Jerusalem, just over the hill in the Garden of Gethsemene.

Mary Magdalene was of the town of Magdala.
(I'm sorry if I misunderstood you...all these Mary's get me confused!!)

Greetings . . . I edited my post to avoid confusion. I was actually writing about two different Marys. The first paragraph was about the sister Martha, who everyone wanted to me back in the 60's, and how I evolved to become Mary, Martha's sister [student]. The second paragraph is about how I moved on to identify with Mary Magdalene because she was more than a student. She was a confidante. Maybe I am thinking too much of myself, but this is what I like to IMAGINE. lol.

I am more like Mary. Less of a doer. more interested in communication perhaps though to do the role of good listener is not easy.
Marthas annoyance is refreshingly human. wish there were more stories like this.

I also love the contrast between Martha and Mary her sister. I am just I'm happy to live at a time when women get to choose for themselves. I guess even back then Jesus was a feminist because he told everybody it was up to Mary to do what she wanted to do. He even said it was a better choice. LOL.

Last edited:
Martha: Excuse me Jesus but wont all these good works Im doing win your favour?
Jesus: No way.Look at Mary. Thats the way you do it. Ive always preferred good listeners.
Martha: OK. Its self service ftom now on. Pour your own coffee.
Jesus: Martha. You catholics are all the same. Just pray and let the housework do itself.

Hi Susannah,,,
It's wonderful to get to know you and the experiences you've had with God.

But, actually Mary Magdalene was not this Mary.
Mary, the sister of Martha is a different Mary.
They were Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus...they lived in Bethany, about a 30 minute walk north of Jerusalem, just over the hill in the Garden of Gethsemene.

Mary Magdalene was of the town of Magdala.
(I'm sorry if I misunderstood you...all these Mary's get me confused!!)

Did you read my post #2 as this is the lineage of Mary Magdalene who sat at the feet of Jesus.

Greetings . . . I edited my post to avoid confusion. I was actually writing about two different Marys. The first paragraph was about the sister Martha, who everyone wanted to me back in the 60's, and how I evolved to become Mary, Martha's sister [student]. The second paragraph is about how I moved on to identify with Mary Magdalene because she was more than a student. She was a confidante. Maybe I am thinking too much of myself, but this is what I like to IMAGINE. lol.
I also think she was a confidant.
She was very close to Jesus and she had the title of honorary Apostle, or something similar.

I also believe that in one of the gospels, she was the first to get to the tomb and went back to tell the others. Could you imagine...in those days....a WOMAN finding the tomb empty first!

Women were actually treated better in the time of Moses than in the time of Jesus...so it was very against the culture of that time to treat women equally --- which is exaclty what Jesus did. He did not differentiate except in that the person had to be born again of the spirit,,,and in this way, all were equal.

Did you read my post #2 as this is the lineage of Mary Magdalene who sat at the feet of Jesus.
Yes, FHG,,,I did and it said that Mary Magdalene and Mary, Martha's sister, are two different persons. ( I knew this).

Was there something else I should have gotten from post 2??

Yes, FHG,,,I did and it said that Mary Magdalene and Mary, Martha's sister, are two different persons. ( I knew this).

Was there something else I should have gotten from post 2??

No, I just wanted to make sure you knew that Mary Magdalene, Mary from Bethany and Martha were all sisters and that it was Martha that fussed so much and Mary Magdalene that sat at the feet of Jesus.

Here is my full study about the different Mary's found in scripture. Sorry about the length.

Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Jesus had four half brothers, James, Joses, Juda and Simon and some sisters, but it's not known how many sisters he had or what their names were. The reason they were all half brothers an sisters is because Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus.

Three mothers named Mary. Mary the mother of Jesus wife of Joseph, his mother's sister Mary, also known as Salome the wife of Zebedee and the mother of James and John as John was the beloved disciple of Jesus. Salome is not to be confused with Salome the daughter of Herodias. And there with the other two Mary's was Mary Magdalene as all three witnessed the Crucifixion of Jesus. When Jesus told John to behold his mother means John's mother as John brought her into his house.

Matthew 27:55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him: 56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's children.

Three mothers named Mary:
1. Mary the mother of Jesus wife of Joseph and the mother of James and Joses.

2. Jesus mother's sister named Mary also known as Salome the wife of Cleophas and then Zebedee and the mother of James and John (two of the twelve disciples). Salome is not to be confused with Salome the daughter of Herodias.
(Note: Mary Salome married Alphaeus, also known as Cleophas, and three of their sons were Apostles being Jude, Thaddeuse Simon the Zealot. Later she married Zebedee and was the mother of James and John.)

3. And there with the other two Mary's was Mary Magdalene as all three witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus.

John 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus looked down from the cross and saw His own mother named Mary and standing by her was His disciple John. Jesus then told John to look at his own mother whose name was Mary the wife of Zebedee. From that hour John took his mother to his own home.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Side note: Marie and Mary are the same name. My Great Aunt's name was Marie when she lived in Romania, but when she came to America it was written and pronounced Mary.

According to the Genealogy of Eucharis and Cyrus who was the King of the Benjamite tribe in Magdala and a descendant from the House of David are the parents of Mary Magdalene, Mary/Marie of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus.

Mary Magdalene was born in Magdala hence the surname Magdalene, Mary/Marie of Bethany was born in Al-Eizariya later known as Bethany, Martha born in Palestine and was the mother of Mark and John who was a widow, Lazarus was born in Al-Eizariya (Bethany).

This was Mary Magdalene, daughter of Eucharis and Cyrus, a sister to Mary of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus. The other Mary is described in Mark 16:1 as Mary the mother of James and Salome and the wife of Zebedee.

Luke 8:2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils.

This is the same Mary who had the alabaster jar filled with perfume who poured the perfume over the head of Jesus and also washed and kissed the feet of Jesus, Matthew 26:6-9; Luke 7:36-50; John 12:1-3.

Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus parents were Cyrus and Eucharis from Magdala along the sea of Galilee where Cyrus was the King over the tribe of Benjamin being a royal descendant of the house of David. They had a castle there called Magdalon. A family of wealth and after Cyrus died the children inherited vast riches and possessions. Lazarus took to the military life, Martha ruled her possessions with great discretion and was a model of virtue and propriety sort of addicted to worldly cares. Probably was why she fussed so much when Jesus came to their house. Mary Magdalene involved herself with luxurious pleasures and extravagant life style she was known through all the country as "The Sinner" and very promiscuous. The seven demons which posse her that Jesus cast out of her where the seven deadly sins: gluttony, fornication, covetousness, anger, spiritual sluggishness and ego.

Mark 1:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

Mark 15:40 There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;

The other Mary is described in Mark 16:1; Mark 15:40 and Matthew 20:20, 21 as Mary the mother of James and John as she is also known by the name Mary Salome and the wife of Zebedee. She was not a sister to Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany, Martha and Lazarus as their parents were Cyrus and Eucharis from Magdala along the sea of Galilee where Cyrus was the King over the tribe of Benjamin being a royal descendant of the house of David.

John 19:25 we see another Mary, the wife of Cleophas, as being the sister of Mary the mother of Jesus who also brought spices to the tomb of Jesus. Mary, also know called Mary Salome married Alphaeus, also known as Cleophas, and three of their sons were Apostles being Jude, Thaddeus Simon the Zealot. Later she married Zebedee after the death of Cleophas and was the mother of James and John.

John 1:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

In this verse we only read about Mary Magdalene coming to the tomb very early on the first day of the week (Sunday) possibly right around sunrise as it was still dark so this would have to be at the very end of sabbath being passed. In Mark 1:1 it states sabbath was past and then we not only see Mary Magdalene, but also Mary the mother of James, and Salome (Mary Salome the wife of Cleophas and Zebedee), had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint Jesus.

No, I just wanted to make sure you knew that Mary Magdalene, Mary from Bethany and Martha were all sisters and that it was Martha that fussed so much and Mary Magdalene that sat at the feet of Jesus.
Wait.
Martha and Mary were sisters and lived in Bethany.
Mary sat at the feet of Jesus to learn from Him while Martha was busy in the kitchen....

Mary Magdalene was the Mary that washed Jesus feet with her tears and perfume..... but that was a sinful woman....Mary Magdalene was not the sinful woman.

I'm going to read it again.

Mary Magdalene (called Magdalene because she was born in Magdala, Israel) and Mary named Marie of Bethany (born at Al-Eizariya name for modern Bethany) are not the same person.
OK

Side note: Marie and Mary are the same name. My Great Aunt's name was Marie when she lived in Romania, but when she came to America it was pronounced Mary.
OK

You're saying that Mary of Bethany and Mary Magdalene are sisters?

OK...I know of Mary the wife of Zebedee.

OK

I always knew that we cannot be sure of who this Mary is.
Possibly Mary Magdalene.

Yes, well all these Mary's sure do confuse me.

Could you please read the following and let me know if you agree that Mary Magdalene was not a sinful woman?

I should say THE sinful woman.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back