Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Matthew Chapter 13

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's a good observation sparrow :)

(Mat 13:33) Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till it was all leavened.

Christ was "made sin for us" (2 cor 5:21) So in the parable, Christ is the LEAVEN.
(2Co 5:21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

We won't have a clue to the meaning of the parable if we don't come out of the starting gate with this understanding.

Christ comes into our flesh, the "leaven into the meal"
(Col 1:24) ...Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church;

If we receive Christ now To Day, He Comes and is hidden in us by His Holy Spirit taking up residence in our Temple body :)
(1Pe 3:4) but let it be the hidden man of the heart...
(Joh 14:18) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
(2Co 6:16) ...for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them...

Now that we've received Christ, We Grow and are Transformed into His image!
(2Pe 3:18) But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ...
(Rom 12:2) ...be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind...perfect, will of God.
(Rom 8:29) ... be conformed to the image of his Son...

...From Glory to Glory.
(2Co 3:18) But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

The Holy Spirit of Christ in us IS the Kingdom of God/Kingdom of Heaven...

Those who thought, or still think that it is a 'physical Kingdom' that can or will be "observed" on this planet, folk like the Pharisees still under the law for instance, will never understand this;

(Luk 17:20) And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said,
The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
(Luk 17:21)Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

A simple easy parable :) Yet, because it IS a parable, it is profound and incomprehensive to others. Some folk still are gazing up into Heaven expecting something different, something "more" some day... thinking to some day "see" something... not recognizing what the Kingdom of God is really all about. *sigh*

(Mar 4:11) And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, allthesethings are done in parables:

Pardon my late entry to the discussion and I invite you to welcome me with open arms. Or, if not me, then welcome Christ in me as I do also you!

Something was being said that caught my eagle eye and almost brought out the "hawk" in me. But I am determined to keep my sharp beak in check and to speak softly and yet... I do want to try to correct what I see as a misunderstanding. It's about the two kinds of leaven. There has been good effort to stay away from debate and I'll give full respect (as if I'm an intruder) but let me interject something, please. It's short. Hopefully it is also sweet. It's also from the Gospel of Matthew but found in chapter 16 (not 13) so I apologize for that part but that's not my fault.

Here we go:

"Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees ... Matthew 16:12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees" (Matthew 16:6,12 KJV)
"Therefore let us keep the Feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness"

The very fact that leaven there is called "old leaven" opens the possibility of some kind of new stuff. I don't know. Let's call it a new word, shall we? Mana-leaven. Stuff that proliferates. Or if you really hate that word leaven so much? Okay. You're correct. Maybe we should just call it mana. Jesus is the mana from heaven. Living a truly Christian life includes observing all of the true Christian Holy Days (or rather, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us in all truth so that we are observing the fulfillment of all) means putting out the ways of sin, while growing (not merely sitting there like a lifeless lump) toward the Kingdom that is coming to fill all the earth.

So now we are entering into the well known troubled waters of semantics. And as we search for a word or an action or metaphor that means that healthy life includes spiritual sexual function -- we might reach out to the bread of life which, by it's very nature, is HOLY but also able to increase to abundance! And to overjoy us. We know that Jesus is well beyond a Master and our hope soars as we try to bring down to simple words what it means to be impregnated with such great and grand hope. And we know that as that message is heard, and as others listen then they too are impregnated with hope and life and love --and so what if somebody comes and doesn't speak about it perfectly and mis-applies a metaphor or two. Why should we not just do like the bible says and if we see our brother sinning, not sin that leads to death, there is sin that leads to death, I'm not addressing that, but if we do? We are commanded to ASK GOD for them (and He gives life). Just like we routinely ask God for ourselves. Just fly up a quick prayer. It's so easy. And He gives life (upon our asking) -- it's like a guarantee given to the Body of Christ and I think it's something that increases our JOY - asking in faith is also so much easier than debate, or avoiding debate so carefully even as I see you guys doing so well...

"Father, forgive them."

Them there are Christ-Words in us and coming out of us! And(!) We know that if we ask according to HIS WILL??? Then we have all that we petition of Him. Who here can say, "My every prayer is answered?" <---- but that's what we are supposed to do and that is our calling. So when I say, "levan" is put in, and it's not perfect because I can't even spell it right? Just ask. It's okay. God loves us more than we do. But we will learn to love us more and more.

Okay, I'm gonna try to quiet my fluttering little bird heart and let you guys go with Peace and Thanksgiving in Our hearts! I know that's exactly what you want too, just like I know that I am praying according to His Will for His blessing here.

And that, my friends, was me. Interjecting a bit of leaven into this conversation. But in truth, this stuff is NOT leaven. It's salt. It's Col 4:6 salt -- and it's your grace toward me that lets me feel confident that you know what I mean even when I don't speak all that well.
Hi Sparrow, I'm not exactly sure what you said, but there is no new kind of leaven. Leaven is always associated with pride and sin. But about the salt. We are the salt of the earth (Matt. 5: 13) It is salt that keeps leaven from puffing up or rising. Love (agape) the love of God is an attribute of rebirth in the born again Christian. But we are to contend for the faith. But we are not to think it is love to accept those who may have their own interpretation or their own beliefs about Christ. We do not contend about words, but contend for correct doctrine with temperance and patience in the grace of God teaching others to follow after Spirit of the Lord, by whom we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations , for His name(Rom. 1:5).

By God's grace
Douglas Summers

Hi Sparrow, I'm not exactly sure what you said, but there is no new kind of leaven. Leaven is always associated with pride and sin. But about the salt. We are the salt of the earth (Matt. 5: 13) It is salt that keeps leaven from puffing up or rising. Love (agape) the love of God is an attribute of rebirth in the born again Christian. But we are to contend for the faith. But we are not to think it is love to accept those who may have their own interpretation or their own beliefs about Christ. We do not contend about words, but contend for correct doctrine with temperance and patience in the grace of God teaching others to follow after Spirit of the Lord, by whom we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations , for His name(Rom. 1:5).

By God's grace
Douglas Summers
Christ was "made sin for us" (2 cor 5:21) So in the parable, Christ is the LEAVEN. And He wasn't pride. But He was made sin for us.
That should help! See the preceeding scriptures in my post. Be open to the light :idea

Hi, Mr. Summers,

How am I supposed to respond to your direct confrontation without debate? I notice that the bible says "not with old leaven" and point out the truth and logical conclusion is that you are (in part) absolutely correct; there is no such thing as sinless leaven, (*except as the BIBLE defines or even hints about*). Did you notice the care that was taken? If there is something called "old leaven" you'll have to do better to convince me that "new-leaven" or "mana-leaven" does not or can not exist(!). You've noticed how we are told directly that there is another kind, the "leaven of heaven" found in Matthew 13, and yet you contradict me? I must have made a mistake when I assumed you would have grace for me? But I hope not. If you really need to continue to repeat your think about leaven maybe open a new thread? That works.

You say that we do not contend about words but that we contend about doctrine. I say that the Holy Spirit is HOLY, utterly(!) and that it is HIS job to teach you, not mine. But if I were to teach you something I should know that I am exposing myself and should do so with great care. James taught us about that. You are familiar with James 3:1, "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."

You should know that you can't teach the unwilling. This is something that I do know all too well. I have recieved your rebuke and will try to respect it. God Speed to you, Douglas Summers
Hi Sparrow, I'm not exactly sure what you said

Oh. That explains it. Maybe you should try to read me more prayerfully? That seems to work for some.

Last edited:
Hi , all . Concerning the law being abolished or not . I've searched these pages for a particular scripture but don't find it . I'm not sure how it was overlooked , as it settles the whole question , unless I misunderstand it . Perhaps you could help me . Matt. 5 : 17 - 20 . If you consider the 10 Commandments part of this law , can you explain why Christ himself quoted the law in Matt. 5 : 21 - 27 ? To be a king don't you need a kingdom ? Isn't Christ , Ruler , King , and Judge in the Kingdom of God ? God the Father tells us in Matt. 3 : 17 that Jesus is His Son in whom He is well pleased . If you don't like calling Christ King , how about calling Him by His true title " God . " Wasn't creation created for Christ ?

Hi , all . Concerning the law being abolished or not . I've searched these pages for a particular scripture but don't find it . I'm not sure how it was overlooked , as it settles the whole question , unless I misunderstand it . Perhaps you could help me . Matt. 5 : 17 - 20 . If you consider the 10 Commandments part of this law , can you explain why Christ himself quoted the law in Matt. 5 : 21 - 27 ? To be a king don't you need a kingdom ? Isn't Christ , Ruler , King , and Judge in the Kingdom of God ? God the Father tells us in Matt. 3 : 17 that Jesus is His Son in whom He is well pleased . If you don't like calling Christ King , how about calling Him by His true title " God . " Wasn't creation created for Christ ?
Yes! Christ is King! He fulfilled the Law! :sohappy

I've read and responded to all your scriptures Douglas. But what I am seeing is that you use certain scriptures "in part", attempting to reverse the entire meaning of all the scriptures I've provided to you.
I believe you might be a wonderful pastor. Pastor/teacher is the same gift, they go together. A man does not just decide one day he will be a pastor/teacher. It is a gift given by the Holy Spirit, it is not by self will (1 Cor. Chapter 12) Please read it. I was called by the Lord in April of 1963 and I will be 70 in November. The visible church has become more corrupt than ever and is getting worse, even as Christ foretold and it is grievous to our soul. Come soon O Lord, Come soon. But I really think you could be a much better student my dear.
Blessings in Love!
Hi Douglas than you for saying :) I think we all know that the law of Moses was spiritual (Rom 7:14). And we all know that none of us can keep that law because of sin (1 Cor 15:56) and that it kills anyone who tries.It even killed Jesus who kept it perfectly when It cursed Him(Gal 3:13) The law did not kill Christ, we killed Christ. The curse was on us, He took our place.

But what I don't think "we all know" is that THAT is the reason it was "abolished" (Eph 2:15, 2 Cor 3:13, 1 Cor 13:10, etc).
That "glorious spiritual Law" was done way at Christ's death as it is written. When it "cursed Him". (To be replaced with the Ultimate Glorious Grace elaborated in 2 Cor 3)
THAT is the point doesn't seem to be present in your expositions.
...and the surrounding points crucial to knowing of that old Law "being done away" seems to be somehow diluted and confused if not altogether missing when I read your posts.
So I am hoping for clarification in this manner if you might be so kind to bear with me...

So here's my question Douglas;

Do you recognize that the Law of Moses was a Marriage Contract?

And if so, the very important second question,

Do you believe that Old Law Marriage Contract is STILL BINDING on a Believer?

Thank you and so looking forward to your answer, I can't wait to watch you lay out the scripture with the answer, I would just love that!
Hi Douglas than you for saying :) I think we all know that the law of Moses was spiritual (Rom 7:14). And we all know that none of us can keep that law because of sin (1 Cor 15:56) and that it kills anyone who tries. It even killed Jesus who kept it perfectly when it cursed Him (Gal 3:13)

But what I don't think "we all know" is that THAT is the reason it was "abolished" (Eph 2:15, 2 Cor 3:13, 1 Cor 13:10, etc).
That "glorious spiritual Law" was done way at Christ's death as it is written. When it "cursed Him". (To be replaced with the Ultimate Glorious Grace elaborated in 2 Cor 3)
THAT is the point doesn't seem to be present in your expositions.
...and the surrounding points crucial to knowing of that old Law "being done away" seems to be somehow diluted and confused if not altogether missing when I read your posts.
So I am hoping for clarification in this manner if you might be so kind to bear with me...

So here's my question Douglas;

Do you recognize that the Law of Moses was a Marriage Contract?

And if so, the very important second question,

Thank you and so looking forward to your answer, I can't wait to watch you lay out the scripture with the answer, I would just love that!

Hi heart, Yes it was created for Him and by him and there is nothing that is made that was not mad by Christ. (John 1:1-3). And yes, Christ is King, but He is not king of the Church, He is the head of the Church and we are His body(Eph. 5:23-24)
In Christ
Douglas Summers

No, lol, a pastor or a teacher is not the same gift. You don't have the gift of teaching but as I said, you might be a pastor.
The word "pastor" means "shepherd".
the word "teacher" means, well teacher. Different gifts.

(Eph 4:11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

And yes, the law cursed Christ to death because He was made sin when hung on a tree. (and of course it goes without saying that it was for all of our sins)

The Law Cursed Jesus. God built that important point into the Law, so that the Law would destroy it's validity and be, as scriptures says, "done away" or "abolished".

(Gal 3:13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

(2Co 3:7) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

(Eph 2:15) Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you recognize that the Law of Moses was a Marriage Contract?...
Jesus Martyr
There is a Bible Study section here and no debate is allowed. And all new threads are okay.
Oops! Wait! We are in the Bible Study section... Never-mind, it seems you already know this.

Okay, starting again. Maybe you would like to start that thread? I've never heard of anybody saying their fav Scripture was the Ishi and Baali one --> not once, until today. You've said, "so looking forward to your answer, I can't wait to watch you lay out the scripture with the answer, I would just love that!" Jesus Martyr I too would love to read this study. But from your heart and the abundance in it, please, please? But only if you want and as you are led.

Last edited:
Jesus Martyr
There is a Bible Study section here and no debate is allowed. And all new threads are okay.
Oops! Wait! We are in the Bible Study section... Never-mind, it seems you already know this.

Okay, starting again. Maybe you would like to start that thread? I've never heard of anybody saying their fav Scripture was the Ishi and Baali one --> not once, until today. I too would love to read this study. But from your heart and the abundance in it, please, please? But only if you want and as you are led.

Sparrowhawke, We have touched on this within my thread on the Two Covenants, and you are more than welcome to join in and add any of your comments on the subject matter in that thread.

http://christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/two-covenants-the-old-and-new.55735/

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back