Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

maybe electroshock wasn't so terrible...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
...only because God made good of it, of course.

Listen, I've posted about my ECT experiences over and over. I'm a whole new person now, and is a whole new year. I'm just thinking...what if, because God made good of it, I'm one of the few people--"mentally ill" or otherwise--who gets a fresh, new start? Truth is, my life before Christ got involved wasn't that great, anyway. My IQ has shot up, I'm a much better person, I'm growing up and growing in The Lord...maybe memories for the first 23 years of my life really aren't necessary?

What they intended for evil, God used for good. I'm paraphrasing and I don't remember the address, but I think it was in the story of Joseph. Also...He causes all things to come together for the good of those who are called. I think that's in Romans (again, I'm paraphrasing).

I don't want to turn CFnet into my own blog, but since y'all have dealt with the ups and downs of my life and been there for me, I thought I'd just let everybody know...I've made peace with it. Whoever I was, whatever problems I had, some sadistic shrinks zapped that guy into oblivion almost exactly 6 years ago, shorty after New Year's in 2008.

Jesus heard my cries when I couldn't even articulate my needs, and...here I am. Warts and all, I'm a completely different person, and a Born Again Christian (one day, hopefully soon, I'll be in a little Pentecostal Church that still believes in miracles and yet another chance...).

Thanks for reading :)

...only because God made good of it, of course.

Listen, I've posted about my ECT experiences over and over. I'm a whole new person now, and is a whole new year. I'm just thinking...what if, because God made good of it, I'm one of the few people--"mentally ill" or otherwise--who gets a fresh, new start? Truth is, my life before Christ got involved wasn't that great, anyway. My IQ has shot up, I'm a much better person, I'm growing up and growing in The Lord...maybe memories for the first 23 years of my life really aren't necessary?

What they intended for evil, God used for good. I'm paraphrasing and I don't remember the address, but I think it was in the story of Joseph. Also...He causes all things to come together for the good of those who are called. I think that's in Romans (again, I'm paraphrasing).

I don't want to turn CFnet into my own blog, but since y'all have dealt with the ups and downs of my life and been there for me, I thought I'd just let everybody know...I've made peace with it. Whoever I was, whatever problems I had, some sadistic shrinks zapped that guy into oblivion almost exactly 6 years ago, shorty after New Year's in 2008.

Jesus heard my cries when I couldn't even articulate my needs, and...here I am. Warts and all, I'm a completely different person, and a Born Again Christian (one day, hopefully soon, I'll be in a little Pentecostal Church that still believes in miracles and yet another chance...).

Thanks for reading :)
I have worked with mentally ill people and I know what electro shock can do. God must have protected you so you have all your brains and all your life to give to Him. He is a good God indeed.

hey sandy!

What's weird is that my brain **was** fried, even before round #2 of the ECT. I had multiple brain scans (weird nervous breakdown-situation), and some more after heavy involuntary ECT. And yet...God is good! My best guess is that I'm one of many, many "mental patients" given a real shot at life by Christ. My best guess is that shrinks just call of "freaks of nature," or make up some psychobabble to explain it away, or just shrug it off and move on to the next victim.

Anyway...the more I bury my past at the Foot of The Cross (with God's help, of course), the more memories come floating back. Its strange, you know? You'd think...brain is fried=memories gone forever, but...its God's world, right? I get what He wills that I get, and apparently, He wills that I remember more of my life, pre-ECT.

To be fair, I was miserable. Especially before round #2. I was semi-vegetative and confused, and I had a weird psychotic break. My parents and I were estranged. I'd gone on some pursuit of God, or at least something outside of my brain damaged reality, and...I got electroshocked. Nice work, psychiatry.

As my life returns to me in random, fleeting thoughts, memories, sometimes dreams, I realize: until I went on that crazy, semi-vegetative pursuit of God, I was utterly miserable. And a "loser," so when a "loser" shows up at a mental hospital in pain, I guess heavy ECT is the closest they can get to putting someone to sleep.

Even though I certainly wasn't a Christian then, I guess stepping out and showing God that I didn't want to be burned out and dead eyed and vegetative must have set some things in motion. I'm blessed to have been given that opportunity, of course. Maybe it was God's idea the whole time. Who knows?

I'm blessed to have been zapped that second time around, really. Not because heavy ECT is the best thing ever (I seriously don't recommend it), but because God made good of it for me. Like I wrote above, memories are returning, to some extent. Enough of them, anyway, for me to put together the story of my "mental illness" and torment. Until Christ intervened, I didn't have a chance.

Plus, God made good even of the feelings of being a freak and a "loser" and a broken, sometimes seemingly spirit-less wanderer. Its out of The Beatitudes or something. Pain can draw you nigh unto Christ.

There is now discussion about bringing back into regular practice the use of electro-shock for all suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The claim is being made that ECT can 'block' the 'bad' memories and thereby making the person 'happy.' I don't have the link any longer to the article, nor do I remember which science-related magazine it was in, but I was rather surprised it was being discussed.

yeah, I sure didn't sign up for it, lol. The only reason it "worked"--if you can call it that--is because Christ saved and healed me. Until Christ intervened, I was rather vegetative.

With our Lord, all things are possible, including surviving ECT ! (I'm quite thankful He intervened in your case!)

:) Thanks.

I don't think I'm the only one. My best guess is that The Lord has saved many a wretch--including mental patients--from destruction and a life as a vegetable. I'm not the first, and I don't think I'll be the last.

Personally, I wouldn't want electroshock therapy. The adverse risks are rather unsettling.
Sometimes you don't have a choice. They can court order you into any kind of psychiatric treatment the doctors feel is necessary. The world of treatment for the mentally ill is a very scary place. I used to listen to psychiatrists as they tried to tread their patients. They don't know what to do, they are just guessing, but I was nearly fired for praying for someone once. They treated me like I was trying to throw them off a cliff of something.

hey sandy!

What's weird is that my brain **was** fried, even before round #2 of the ECT. I had multiple brain scans (weird nervous breakdown-situation), and some more after heavy involuntary ECT. And yet...God is good! My best guess is that I'm one of many, many "mental patients" given a real shot at life by Christ. My best guess is that shrinks just call of "freaks of nature," or make up some psychobabble to explain it away, or just shrug it off and move on to the next victim.

Anyway...the more I bury my past at the Foot of The Cross (with God's help, of course), the more memories come floating back. Its strange, you know? You'd think...brain is fried=memories gone forever, but...its God's world, right? I get what He wills that I get, and apparently, He wills that I remember more of my life, pre-ECT.

To be fair, I was miserable. Especially before round #2. I was semi-vegetative and confused, and I had a weird psychotic break. My parents and I were estranged. I'd gone on some pursuit of God, or at least something outside of my brain damaged reality, and...I got electroshocked. Nice work, psychiatry.

As my life returns to me in random, fleeting thoughts, memories, sometimes dreams, I realize: until I went on that crazy, semi-vegetative pursuit of God, I was utterly miserable. And a "loser," so when a "loser" shows up at a mental hospital in pain, I guess heavy ECT is the closest they can get to putting someone to sleep.

Even though I certainly wasn't a Christian then, I guess stepping out and showing God that I didn't want to be burned out and dead eyed and vegetative must have set some things in motion. I'm blessed to have been given that opportunity, of course. Maybe it was God's idea the whole time. Who knows?

I'm blessed to have been zapped that second time around, really. Not because heavy ECT is the best thing ever (I seriously don't recommend it), but because God made good of it for me. Like I wrote above, memories are returning, to some extent. Enough of them, anyway, for me to put together the story of my "mental illness" and torment. Until Christ intervened, I didn't have a chance.

Plus, God made good even of the feelings of being a freak and a "loser" and a broken, sometimes seemingly spirit-less wanderer. Its out of The Beatitudes or something. Pain can draw you nigh unto Christ.
Thank the Lord for the intervention in your case. So many people live their lives like zombies after ECT.

Yes...Praise The Lord! There are too many ECT victims around :-(

I don't think I'll ever know *why* God saw fit to have such mercy upon me. I suspect He has some sort of a plan for my life, even if that plan is as seemingly simple as making me reasonably productive member of the community.

Yes...Praise The Lord! There are too many ECT victims around :-(

I don't think I'll ever know *why* God saw fit to have such mercy upon me. I suspect He has some sort of a plan for my life, even if that plan is as seemingly simple as making me reasonably productive member of the community.
One of the great mysteries of God is we never know exactly why He does what He does. We just need to praise that He was merciful on you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back