Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

military?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
H

humbleservant

is it? or isnt it christian like to join the military? why?

my brother is about to join and i have no advice to give him on the subject, is it a good step? it seems very reliable as a career, but what are christians supposed to do if they get sent to a war zone? thats not a very good christian example, or is it?

Why do people think Christians are panzie pacifist who'll just stand there and be killed rather than defending their country of their own life? Who started this nonsense?

God gave you a valuable life and a country worth fighting for.

Nothing wrong with being in the military. I'a an x-army veteran of 9yrs and a christian.

*paging jasoncran!!!*

I was in the Army (South African Airforce) for 3 years and I believed I had a country worth fighting for and dying for. It was in the days of Apartheid and as a white South African we were literally brainwashed in believing our Goverment was a Christian Goverment. Each policy was defended and I was unaware of the deep evil that lurked within our goverments structure. It was only after we had the truth and reconcilliation commission that the real truth started coming out and I believe if I had known the truth back then I would not have followed the career choice I had chosen for myself. I would not have joined the military at all. I personally would not rejoin now for other reasons. I think your brother needs to ask himself a few questions. Firstly, would he be ready to die for his country in a war of the current goverments decision? (War in Iraq etc).Secondly, if he is a Christian, would he be ready to kill in a war of the current goverments decision? I think if he can answer yes to those two questions he should not have a problem joining the military. I personally don't feel it is unchristian to be in the military itself and I believe fighting for your country is not a sin. If he is not a Christian and has not accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his saviour, you should approach him on that decision first before he joins the military.
May God be with you in any advice you give him.

GojuBrian said:
Why do people think Christians are panzie pacifist who'll just stand there and be killed rather than defending their country of their own life? Who started this nonsense?

Nothing wrong with being in the military. I'a an x-army veteran of 9yrs and a christian.

*paging jasoncran!!!*
Jesus did when he instructed us to turn the other cheek. This life isn't permanent. Jesus also told Saul before he became Paul that he couldn't serve both him and his government. ;)

Personally I have nothing but respect for the military and salute soldiers/marines/seals, etc. :yes

Under the current administration there is no way in hades I would join the military.

You don't want to be in the military under the leadership (president) of someone who has never been in the military. :nono WHY???? But, that's another topic........

Lance_Iguana said:
GojuBrian said:

*paging jasoncran!!!*
Jesus did when he instructed us to turn the other cheek. This life isn't permanent. Jesus also told Saul before he became Paul that he couldn't serve both him and his government. ;)

Personally I have nothing but respect for the military and salute soldiers/marines/seals, etc. :yes

Taken out of context Lance. I have expressed my thoughts on this topic many times here.

GojuBrian said:
Lance_Iguana said:
GojuBrian said:

*paging jasoncran!!!*

Taken out of context Lance. I have expressed my thoughts on this topic many times here.
Paul or the turning the other cheek part? Not argueing just wanting a little clarification. ;)

milliatry wow thats a big step if you go that way it aint chicken at all it is just a way to live i would be more on the thought is that what god really wants for me

I became a Christian after I joined the military... but in saying that, I am re-enlisting..

While being in the military, I have been able to witness to people and show people this change in me. Also, we have a wednesday night and a friday night bible study that I attend to regularly, and fellowship with other Christians.

I do respect people's opinions, but I feel as though I am doing nothing wrong. I actually didn't know
why I joined in the first place, I knew that I wanted experience, and to travel, etc.. but I always felt like there was another, deeper reason..

Now that I am a Christian, I do honestly believe that God called me here. I believe the army is all in His plan for me.
I love the army. It's not easy, you are not always in the best situations at all.. but it's not a normal job. I am able to do a WHOLE bunch of stuff that I would otherwise never get to do, and it's a chance to push myself everyday and always try to work harder, be better etc.

There are army schools to go to, air assault, airborne (LOVED it.. who knew jumping out of planes could be so great??) sere (which I don't think I can go to because I'm a woman..not sure about that though), ranger (another one that women can't attend) and pathfinder school..

there are bases ALL over the world to go to, different jobs to have (I'm going to medic school early next year :) )
and I love it.. it's my life.. I joined when I was 18, this was my first real job and the military has given me sooo much that I wouldn't get anywhere else

oh plus it gives me the discipline to stay in shape.. would I really be running at least 10-12 miles a week without the military? Heck no.. not in a million years..

The 'turning the other cheek part'. I also agree about serving the government, but our military personel are serving our country and our people. They are laying their very lives on the line every day so that we can express our opinions....in english.

I will turn the other cheek if I'm insulted, maybe even assaulted depending on the circumstances, but I will not (nor do I believe Jesus' commands us to) turn the other cheek if other lives are threatened!

I will turn the other cheek if I'm insulted, maybe even assaulted depending on the circumstances, but I will not (nor do I believe Jesus' commands us to) turn the other cheek if other lives are threatened!
People don't always grasp the one on one nature of the "turn the other cheek" verse. But Jesus also said:

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Our eternal lives were threatened and He laid down His life for us; He sets the example showing us we should be willing to lay down our lives for others if serving and defending one's country is your calling.

I agree with Brian.

Lance_Iguana said:
... This life isn't permanent. Jesus also told Saul before he became Paul that he couldn't serve both him and his government. ;)...
Hi Lance, could you please point me to that verse or passage? Thanks. Also keep in mind that it was Paul who tells us to obey our government.

Peter has something to say too:

2 Peter 2:9-11 (New King James Version)

9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment,
10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries,
11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.

Vic C. said:
[quote="Lance_Iguana":6k0sq4bz]... This life isn't permanent. Jesus also told Saul before he became Paul that he couldn't serve both him and his government. ;)...
Hi Lance, could you please point me to that verse or passage? Thanks. Also keep in mind that it was Paul who tells us to obey our government.

[/quote:6k0sq4bz] I messed up. I was confusing Mathew and Paul. I don't know why, but for some reason I mix them up sometimes. :lol I was referring to when Jesus met Mathew when Mat was a tax collector. Though this could have been more of a shot at Mathew's greed then his position. :yes

I'm looking up the passage though.

I know how this board feels about Paul so I won't say much, but to me Paul had some teaching that where really cool. Then he said some things along the lines of how to treat slaves, sinners, Women, etc. that seemed odd when compared to the Gospels of Mathew, Luke, John, etc. Not saying he is wrong, but I think some of his writings where more social commentary and his views rather then Divine.

I think this topic is getting close to being more suited to Appolegetics then GD. :tongue

Thanks Lance. Paul speaks a lot to the culture in which he lived. That is certain. When he spoke from Divine revelation is what the believer must discern. For instance, we read about women and head coverings and want right away to apply it to today's churches. :confused The we get to the famous Eph: 2 "grace" passage and some will want to add it it. :salute

There's nothing wrong with serving the military, but you will see combat in some form and must be able to kill the enemy and live with that decision, and if you cant do it, i suggest you get out after your tour or not join.

Not all in Christ can be military, Pray, and seek the Lord on this , and think on how you can Glorify god with that, You will need him in country and after your return, i know, i did a tour in abad, Afghanistan, and dont regret it all.

if you need advise on the type of stress you will see pm me or maybe kim0012, she's in country currently and may help you aslo.

just remember that i'll being praying for you as well.

jason

Wars happen, always will.

War is not Christ like, but its unavoidable.

its one of our problems as humans, we fight each other for whatever reason, it is grave sin, but Christ was crucified and took sins upon himself.

If we were perfect, the manifistation of christ would not be needed, its our unavoidable wrong doing, that caused God to act.

my next question i believe in defending our country. i dont necisarilly support attacking other countries, but with that being sayed, murder? is that the same wether your defending yourself or not? and would god allow it , when going into it you know ahead of time you might have to face killing someone?

I know that alot of people are probably going to disagree with this, but this is my opinion on it:

I believe that in some cases, killing someone is different from murder.

The death penalty, for instance, that person is being killed.. but I wouldn't consider that
murder. Someone killing someone in self defense, again.. I wouldn't consider that murder.
A soldier returning fire and killing an enemy.. wouldn't consider that murder either.

A man killing his wife... murder. Someone driving drunk and killing someone in an
automobile accident.. also murder.

Being deployed, people die all around you quite a bit.. I have honestly never been around death so much. It's sad, in any circumstance.. whether it be the enemy passing away, a local national, or a fellow soldier..

I will say that I have not directly killed someone before.. I admit, I do equip pilots to go out on missions.. I even help plan missions knowing what the circumstances might end up being..
and I hear the stories after they are done

I don't belive that I am doing anything wrong, or am sinning against the Lord.. but I do believe in the United States of America and I believe in defending the freedom that we have and fighting for what I believe in..

the question of killing in the military is always going to be an issue that people have,
and its hard to explain how we feel about it.. I do believe it is an issue that should be talked about lightly with military because if the circumstance arrives that a soldier does have to take someone's life.. believe me.. that is not something that is forgotten. I have alot of great guys as friends.. my "big brothers"
I have heard the stories, and i have see the looks in their eyes.. it's awful to have to live with that on your conscience.. I wouldn't want them to feel as if anyone is placing guilt on them for that
because regardless if anyone feels it's wrong or right.. it's done, it's what has to be done.. and those soldiers do feel the weight from those situations

im not trying too put blame on anyone or anyting just trying to get information on the military any way i can.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back