Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ministry Question - What role should the Pastor's wife play in the church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ZHarner83

This is a question that has been on my mind for a bit. Before I explain why, could I get some insight on your opinions?

What should the role of the Pastor's wife be in the church?

What ever her calling is. So according to her spiritual gifts she should serve in the place where she can serve best. (So basically like every other church member, too.)
If she's a great worship singer she should sing, if she's a gifted drummer then she should play drums in the worship band, if she's good with technology she can run the homepage or do the power point stuff during the service or run the sound mix console, if she's good with kids she could run the children's ministry, and so on. Like any other church volunteer: do what you can do best and what God calls you to do.

The role of loving the Pastor comes to mind. The role of being loved by the Pastor too!

One picture is worth a thousand words maybe?
rolls-fully-baked_jpg_600x400_crop_q85_zpsb27f3613.jpg

Or two pictures maybe?
HotCrossBuns_zps80fdbde8.jpg

:grumpy Now I'm hungry.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW A pastors wife should be who she is the women the pastor married not some picture of what members want her to be!

Really, the days when a woman's public identity was defined through her husband's job should be over.

defined through her husband's job

I don't think she should be defined by his job. However, her husband is not only her husband who is responsible to God for her but he is also the pastor of the church and responsible for the church body.

His decision is final, unless he changes his mind....at some point.

If God has called her then hopefully her husband will be able to see that.

Just my take on it. :)

Really, the days when a woman's public identity was defined through her husband's job should be over.
This is a job not like most jobs. It falls into a different place... That is if the pastor is truly being a pastor... I am a preachers kid ... no way could Dad have done it alone... God gave him a helpmate Mom... Mom didn't do much in the church (things other people could see) her support and spiritual discernment were invaluable to dad and the job... A prayer partner at 2:00 in the morning when the call came in ... Drive him home from visitation at the hospital that was 3 hours away ... share food .... it is a team job for sure...

defined through her husband's job

I don't think she should be defined by his job. However, her husband is not only her husband who is responsible to God for her but he is also the pastor of the church and responsible for the church body.
I disagree on the idea of a husband being responsible for his wife before God. I don't know of any Bible verse that says so.
well I'm single and feminist, and all my previous realtionships were before I became christian, so no idea what I'd do now, but right now I'd think the idea of my husband standing between me and my calling would be horrible. Why would a man do that? Why would a man claim to love a woman and then not be okay with who she is? And how can he dare stand between her and God just because he happens to be born with Y-chromosomes.

As a pastor a man would have a certain authority over the things happening in his church, and that includes his wife if she's a volunteer in his church. But he has the same kind of authority over all volunteers. And in my church the pastors' authority is rather small. Not that we don't respect them, but we volunteers are so well organised and experienced we don't need the pastors much. It's okay if they show up to give the sermon, other than that we are fine on our own. :lol

And in my church the pastors' authority is rather small. Not that we don't respect them, but we volunteers are so well organised and experienced we don't need the pastors much. It's okay if they show up to give the sermon, other than that we are fine on our own.

This is great and this is the way I think it's suppose to be. It's the pastors job to preach/teach, the body to run the church. You are fortunate to have this.

I disagree on the idea of a husband being responsible for his wife before God. I don't know of any Bible verse that says so.

The wife is to submit to her husband. He makes the final decision. I'm sure not taking responsibility for the decision he made and God does not hold me responsible. I would think it would make a sensible man think twice. If she says God called me to do this and he won't let her, who's in trouble with God? Actually, it's a pretty good deal, God loves us girls. :)

Wow! So many replies! It is always nice to be on an active forum!

Thank you for all of the insights!

Now can I ask this next question as a follow up (might have a few more!)..

How should the wife of the Pastor be treated in the church? Should she be treated with the same respect and love as everyone else? Or should she be treated as the "First Lady"?

This is great and this is the way I think it's suppose to be. It's the pastors job to preach/teach, the body to run the church. You are fortunate to have this.
Yeah we are very blessed. :yes

The wife is to submit to her husband. He makes the final decision. I'm sure not taking responsibility for the decision he made and God does not hold me responsible. I would think it would make a sensible man think twice. If she says God called me to do this and he won't let her, who's in trouble with God? Actually, it's a pretty good deal, God loves us girls. :)

Since when is "I was only following orders" an excuse? :lol
As christians we must obey God more than people, and our spouses are no exception to that. I understand that many christian women think God's foremost wish for them is to submit and obey to their husbands, but if a wife realises that the husband is about to commit a sin and she can't convince him to stop it knowingly following him into sin would be an act against God and she would have to ask for forgiveness or be held accountable.

How should the wife of the Pastor be treated in the church? Should she be treated with the same respect and love as everyone else? Or should she be treated as the "First Lady"?
Wait, the guy is the pastor, not the president. :lol
Sure she should be treated with the same respect as everyone else. The pastor himself is supposed to be treated with the same respect as everyone else. He's not a king or boss, just an organiser and teacher.

Thank you for all of the insights!

Now can I ask this next question as a follow up (might have a few more!)..

A pastor's role is one of service Christ led by serving He washed the other guys feet.. She is his help met She helps him serve.. Not my idea of a 'first lady"

we have opinions and we share :)

but if a wife realises that the husband is about to commit a sin and she can't convince him to stop it knowingly following him into sin would be an act against God and she would have to ask for forgiveness or be held accountable.

You are so right!!! We never should or have to follow, into deliberate sin.

You rather remind me of my oldest daughter. I always think that any man that marries her would have to be a real man, no insecure ones allowed.
You are refreshing.

Please allow me to rephrase the question: what role should the Pastor's spouse play in the church? In the Methodist church we have a long tradition of women Pastors, and even Bishops.

A Pastor's spouse should play the role of the ministry the spouse is called to, depending on God-given gifts.

I didn't mean any offense. My mother is actually an ordained Pastor in the Church of God. I have respect for all of God's anointed (and others).

Thanks for the feedback. I am not exactly sure how to ask my next question. So maybe I'll have to save it for another day!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back