Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Monty Python: Life of Brian

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

SyntaxVorlon

I've been wondering what the modern generation of christians think of this movie. Well what do you think?

I have never seen all of that movie, only parts and it seemed pretty lame, especially compared to "The Holy Grail". That movie is a classic - but I haven't seen it in ages! I got to see it again. I remember one of my fave parts was the "Come back and fight you pansy!" LOL!

As a Christian, I can emphatically say the movie was a reprehensible piece of trash.

But, I did like some of the parts:

- The lame (blind?) beggar still trying to beg for alms though healthy
- "Blessed are the cheese-makers?"

Seriously, though, definitely not one of MP's best efforts. I much preferred Holy Grail.

"I wave my private parts in the direction of your auntie"

Well aside from all that, "What did the Romans ever do for us?"

Ive never mannaged to see Life of Brian though I have been curious. Ditto on the greatness of Holy Grail however. "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Ive never seen the holy grail but from the quotes i will have to make a effort to. Ive seen the life of brian and i think its a quite funny movie. I dont think its that bad as it goes towards god the movie isnt all that biblical other than brian being mistaken as the saviour.

Holy Grail was the first Monty Python movie I saw. I had heard many of the quotes before. However, watching John Cleese storm the castle had me laughing for 20 minutes.

Quath

Quath said:
Holy Grail was the first Monty Python movie I saw. I had heard many of the quotes before. However, watching John Cleese storm the castle had me laughing for 20 minutes.

Quath
Hmm ill really need to catch this movie theres nothing better than a really funny film. :biggrin

I saw the movie many years ago. It might have been funny at times, but for the most part I found it to be questionable. Was the movie just 'good, old light humour'? Or was the movie a parody of Christendom?

One scene that really stands out in my mind is the scene where Brian leaves a shoe behind and his followers stumble upon it. They then proclaim, "It's a sign!" and they venerate it. Making fun of Christianity? It seemed like it.

Holy Grail was a much better movie.

My Opinion

Anything that picks at and makes fun of a signifcant thing as Jesus's life and Salvation has to be questioned. I like to laugh and be entertained too - but you can joke about different topics. These movies seemed to directly attack christian beliefs - making out that religion is all a big joke type thing - how stupid it is and how stupid followers of religions are.

Put it this way - yes the Monty Python group have talent - no doubt - and are funny - but they used their talent to drag down Christ and the Power of the gospel to make it out to be a stupid joke. On the day of judgement will Monty Python group be laughing then when they realise the person they made fun of was actually real, alive and the GOD who judges them?

You see there's one thing that tells me comedy isn't really that important in this life. THERE ARE NO JOKES IN THE BIBLE. WE NEVER HEARD OF JESUS SPINNING A FEW YARNS AND JOKES. So I conclude jokes and commedy isn't really that important to Jesus - but obediaence to the Father and the salvation of peoples souls is !!

I have seen both The Holy Grail and the Life of Brian and I liked them both. My viewing of Life of Brian was certainly memorable because I watched it with my friend Brian, and it was the first time he had ever seen anything done by Monty Python. Now whenever we pass each other in the halls we have little outbursts of quotes from the movie. (his favourite character has to be Pilate, because of his speech, and I have to say that he does it perfectly!)

"I'm surpwised to hear a man like you wattled by a wabble of wowdy webels."

Also, when ever we are eating any type of cheese we can help but say, "Blessed are the cheesemakers!" But we know that it's just for giggles and we don't take it seriously. I agree that it's not making fun of Jesus, just how gullible followers were back in the day.

Life of Brian is probably my favorite of the Python films, mainly because I'm not quite satisfied with the abrupt ending of Holy Grail. My favorite part is the splitting of Brians followers when he loses a sandal. "Follow the sandal!" "Follow the gourd!" "Remove your shoe!" "It's not a shoe, it's a sandal!" Did Christianity split over such minor details?

Back