Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Moral beliefs

Do moral values exist solely because of God?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Who says that they are "willingly" ignorant, perhaps they attempted to justify their beliefs but in failing decided that they just don't know. Is saying you don't know not worthy of respect?
Remember: We experience gravity. It exists. Saying it doesn't exist does not disprove gravity. Those who deny gravity are willingly ignorant, regardless of there explanation.

This is another naked assertion.

Why can't science tell us how it ought to be? Don't we use science to tell us what ought to be in the realm of health? A doctor makes a determination on what is wrong with a patient by observing what is not functioning as it ought.

What assumptions are you referring to? Every one of your arguments are built on assumptions because you never properly justify them.
Because the beautiful, like the good cannot be scientifically proven.

Show me how science tells us how morality ought to be. Show it to me.

Where did ObjMoVa say that this anchor would change?
Do humans change?

This demonstrates you don't understand Sam Harris' argument at all. It is grounded on human well-being, not the collective opinion of humans about the existence of specific moral virtues.

This isn't opinion, hugs are objectively beneficial.
  • Reduces the risk of heart disease.
  • Lowers blood pressure.
  • Releases the ‘feel-good’ hormone oxytocin.
  • Lowers stress and anxiety.
  • Increases sexual desire. Regular sex is not only fun, but a key component to mental and physical health. Sex helps the body battle germs, promotes deeper sleep, and improves mood.
  • Boosts memory.
  • Improves communication.
  • Encourages a positive disposition.[1]
What about those who find hugs offensive? Haphephobia shows that this is not the case for those people. Objectively, what is your basis for telling a person with Haphephobia that hugs are morally a good thing? See, this is where you don't understand any of the moral arguments. So what if a hug is beneficial to your health.

Hitler put down children with down syndrome. Beings that, arguably, would have never replaced the resources that they would expend in their lifetime. Explain to me, based on "human well-being", why killing these children was wrong? How did humans not benefit from their death?

Humans care deeply about their conscious experience, and instinctively care deeply about their children in particular. To torture a child causes long term pschological damage in addition to the initial suffering which makes this person likely to die or be mentally disturbed later in life.
You can't tell me WHY they care deeply about these things. That's what you don't get. What unchangeable anchor do you have that shows us why torture is wrong?

I find this to be a rather ridiculous point. If you were to be strapped down and tortured, I think you would be quite aware of how terrible suffering is. As Sam Harris would say, "Once again, we have hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."
Tell me why being strapped down and tortured is wrong. For the one who is torturing, it is perfectly fine. He is furthering the health of his genetic code, while disabling the other. I am sure it would make him much happier to increase his line of genetics (sarcasm).

Wouldn't surprise me that Harris makes that comment. He is in the bottom of the barrel when it comes to philosophy. Arguing that health benefits are the basis for objective morals, is beyond stupid. Easily beaten.

It's one thing to be devils advocate, and it's another to be logically absurd.

The moral argument is one of the best arguments Christians have. Atheists have decent arguments in some areas, don't get me wrong. But the objections to the moral argument are along the lines of denying gravity.

Science is rife with assumptions, that cannot be scientifically proven.

Science makes assumptions all the time, but science doesn't use assumptions to tell people how things are. Science uses assumptions to tell people how the universe would be if the assumption was true. This is known as "subjunctive" and the Bible uses it extensively.

If an assumption cannot be proven, it is merely a hypothesis. However, there are almost no more hypotheses when it comes to human suffering. It happens every day. In that respect, we have a constant reference bank called "planet Earth" which we can justifiably use to label and distinguish human suffering.

1) Give other members the respect you would have them give to yourself. (ToS 2.4)
Address issues/ideas, not persons or personalities. Do not insult, publicly post derogatory opinions of others, post insinuation to belittle or discredit, or otherwise create a hostile environment. Present evidence for support or rebuttal during debate. Bashing the author of another view or opinion is not evidence.

:topic

Hello everyone. I'm an atheist, and i'm very interested in human morality. I've heard many of my Christian peers claim that without God there would be no morality. They claim there would be no right or wrong without God. I cannot help but disagree.

I would like to hear what you have to say about this topic and get the discussion going.

I would agree with your meaning, that one does not have to believe in in God to have moral understandings. However, there is a huge flaw in this entire primes, so much so that what we have here is a kind of false dilemma.

As is often the case, we need to refine some definition here, because we are dealing with what is moral or ethical, and I'm afraid the dilemma might very well be on the believers end more than the unbeliever.

Here is an easy way to understand the difference between morality and ethics. When we say morality, or morals, we are not really speaking of righteousness. (We being all of us) In other words, the word "moral" is not used to define Gods righteousness. It's only used to describe "what is". The word "ethics" deals with what should be.

The Christians Moral dilemma
When we speak of the morality of God, we are speaking about pure righteousness, a standard of morality unreachable, unknowable, and unattainable to it's highest level by any man, any human being.

In the purest sense, we can say that mans morality exist outside of God, as "relative" morality. We can say this is true for all man, Christian or not. Why is this true? It's true biblically in relation to God because NO man is righteous. This is clearly stated by Gods word. Therefore no man can say what is truly moral in the highest sense because he does not truly know, and is incapable of knowing in Gods fullness of righteousness. Therefore what is moral to any man is relative; relative to his understandings, within his own self.

What Christians are saying when we say we would not have our morality without God, is that we measure our morality by the standard of God, but even then we still don't measure up. What non-Christians, or non-believers recognize is that they have a sense of morality. So to a non-Christian/non-believer it seems clear that God does not provide them their sense of morality.

So what's the difference? The difference is in "relative ethics". Ethics being what should be. To the Christian, their morality is relative to God, and what is ethical to Gods righteousness. To the non-Christian their morality is relative to what is ethical to themselves, either individually or collectively.

However, Non-believers and believers may agree on what should be ethically moral (what should be moral) as well as what is moral. Murder might be a good example. A believer and a non believer could both serve on a jury in a murder trial and come to the same conclusion. However, our ethical standards, or what we might base our morally on are different.

If I believe in an all powerful God from whom all life, all goodness, all love, and everything that exist that is right and true emanates from, then my standard is God, prior to myself. If I don't believe in God, then I am relying on myself, or some combination of myself, and community only, for the standard of morality. BUT, both believers and nonbelievers have a moral dilemma. We've touched on the Christians moral dilemma, that being the unattainable righteousness on their own, now let's look at the non-Christians moral dilemma.

The non-Christian, or non-believer in God (biblical God) solely sets his or her own standard for what is moral. This is to say there is no source beyond themselves for truth, just plain old common sense, or self will. To be fair, we see plenty of proclaimed believers doing the same thing.

It's important to note that theologically the bible describes Gods grace as the very thing that keeps the world in any sense of morality. "There but the grace of God go I"; is a saying that means without Gods grace I am capable of any manner of evil. God is not making anyone evil, but withholds His grace to bring about His righteousness. We see this modeled in the relative morality of the nonbeliever to it's fullest, and the nonbeliever should agree since they are not under Gods grace by their own admission. In fact, I have a perfect example I would like to share with you to illustrate this very point.

These are the words of a non-believer that I am about to quote for you. He does not believe in God and believes that mankind is moral on his own volition. This is to say that mans morality is subject to man only. Who this man is will become clear as you read it, but he was asked by a reporter to explain his sense of morality in relation to his ethics.

"Then I learned that all moral judgments are ‘value judgments,’ that all value judgments are subjective, and that none can be proved to be either ‘right’ or ‘wrong.’ I even read somewhere that the Chief Justice of the United States had written that the American Constitution expressed nothing more than collective value judgments. Believe it or not, I figured out for myself–what apparently the Chief Justice couldn’t figure out for himself–that if the rationality of one value judgment was zero, multiplying it by millions would not make it one whit more rational. Nor is there any ‘reason’ to obey the law for anyone, like myself, who has the boldness and daring–the strength of character–to throw off its shackles…I discovered that to become truly free, truly unfettered, I had to become truly uninhibited. And I quickly discovered that the greatest obstacle to my freedom, the greatest block and limitation to it, consists in the insupportable ‘value judgment’ that I was bound to respect the rights of others. I asked myself, who were these ‘others?’ Other human beings, with human rights? Why is it more wrong to kill a human animal than any other animal, a pig or a sheep or a steer? Is your life more than a hog’s life to a hog? Why should I be willing to sacrifice my pleasure more for the one than for the other? Surely, you would not, in this age of scientific enlightenment, declare that God or nature has marked some pleasures as ‘moral’ or ‘good’ and others as ‘immoral’ or ‘bad’? In any case, let me assure you, my dear young lady, that there is absolutely no comparison between the pleasure that I might take in eating ham and the pleasure I anticipate in raping and murdering you. That is the honest conclusion to which my education has led me–after the most conscientious examination of my spontaneous and uninhibited."
- Ted Bundy
http://saintcynic.blogspot.com/2009/02/serial-killerted-bundy-sums-up-moral.html

You may say you do not agree with Ted's ethics or his morality, but as a nonbeliever in God, and as a nonbeliever who has said you believe Morality exist outside of God, relative to each individual and not God ......you can not disagree with Ted Bundy because you have nothing larger to base Ted's moral ethics on. That is the moral dilemma of the atheist, but not the Christian.

I don't see our local atheist here any more so since I have read Sam Harris' work I will play the devil's advocate here. :)

The argument is really this, that science specifically neuroscience has made lengths to demonstrate not just how the human brain operates, but also how it ought to operate in a human being. We can then make moral judgments off of the basis of these "oughts" to discover if they are beneficial or not to the person.

For instance, there are certain brain states that are more conducive to overall happiness in a healthy brain than others. Surely you find more pleasure in being helped by someone than being violently beaten. While these experiences are subjective in nature, there is an objective factor to them which is what happens with the Central Nervous system.

Also, I am sure you are able to distinguish the difference between taking an axe to piece of wood and taking an axe to a human being. Sure you carry beliefs about the worth of one being greater than the other, but you would also easily be able to distinguish that one of these has a vivid conscious experience and the other does not. Therefore, the experience of sentient beings are of primary moral importance.
This still leaves morality as being subjective. Scientific data is subjectively interpreted, so how is it that one can then believe that science can tell us how the human brain ought to operate? Science may be able to tell us how the brain should physiologically work, but it cannot tell us what we ought to believe and not even necessarily what we ought to feel.

What is good for the well-being and happiness of one person isn't necessarily what is good for the well-being of another. One person doesn't like being beaten but the other person might like beating people. A man rapes a woman, which might make him happy but clearly wouldn't make her happy. Maybe months or years later she takes an axe to him and it could very well be good for her well-being but it clearly isn't for his.

It's all still subjective. In order for morality to be objective, it must be outside of humans and their brains.

We are all beings which have the capacity to experience vast amounts of suffering, and all of us experience suffering to some degree in our lives. To see this kind of suffering and death on a scale as was seen in the Holocaust one can easily make the judgment that the actions of the Nazi's were wrong.

Simply saying, "they recognize that some things are evil because of X," without giving a proper justification of that reason is simply a naked assertion not an argument.
And if the Nazis felt that by killing Jews they were making the world a better place for everyone else and increasing everyone's well-being, it could not then be meaningfully stated that what they did was morally wrong. If it wasn't the best thing for the well-being of everyone else, then what they did would be called evil. Or, conversely, if what the Nazis were doing really was the best thing for the rest of the world, we could then say that what they were doing was morally good.

One can also argue that suffering is often necessary to bring about positive or beneficial results, so we could then say that either the suffering of the Jews or the suffering of the rest of the world watching what was going on was for their eventual benefit.

Morality again becomes something that we simply find distasteful, a personal preference.

Free said:
And this points to a transcendent lawgiver.
This is a fallacious argument, you have assumed the conclusion in one of your premises. Begging the question as it were.
Not at all, it is merely the conclusion.

Free said:
So from your point of view as an atheist, you cannot claim that something is truly evil or truly good without invoking the transcendent lawgiver.
If one accepts the premises that you have assumed to be true, which an atheist would not and therefore would disagree with the overall conclusion that you have presented.
If one wants to disbelieve God, then, as Ravi Zacharias states, any question of evil is meaningless, since if he didn't exist, the categories of good and evil are just personal preferences. If humanity is end all be all of morality, then it is subjective. Objective morality simply cannot exist if God does not exist.

I would agree with your meaning, that one does not have to believe in in God to have moral understandings.
I think this is something which is points out some confusion in this thread. Some have taken the opening statements as asking whether or not belief in God is necessary for moral behaviour, and others, like myself, have taken them as asking whether or not the existence of God is necessary for the existence of morality.

Those are two different questions and perhaps we would benefit from the OP clarifying just what it is they are asking.

I think this is something which is points out some confusion in this thread. Some have taken the opening statements as asking whether or not belief in God is necessary for moral behaviour, and others, like myself, have taken them as asking whether or not the existence of God is necessary for the existence of morality.

Those are two different questions and perhaps we would benefit from the OP clarifying just what it is they are asking.

True. But, either way, the word "Moral" still lacks a full definition. I would point out again, that the word moral itself is really a relative term. If we are going to use the word moral or morality as a word that means truth.....we are going to loose in a logical conversation with an atheist when it comes to morality.

In most ethics classes, say in college, they will define morality without a absolute standard. Most Christians will loosely define morality as that which is true. Ethics however, is defined secularly, as a standard, but the standard is left open. Christians often don't even discuss ethics because we so tightly define the word morality.

In this discussion, we can still talk about God as the standard, but only ethically. We can't logically say that our morality is based on Gods morality. We might like to think it is, but our moral behavior is relevant to what we perceive as Gods righteousness. We are still limited by the very things we point out in atheist, or secular nonbelievers. This is why they point out our hypocrisy. Fact is we are hypocrites because we are sinners by nature.

Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do....this is the Christians moral dilemma. This is the hypocrisy the secular world sees in us sometimes.

If a nonbeliever where to have said what Paul said along the same lines, they would simply say; "I understand what I do, and I do what I want to do." or "I understand what I do and I do what is morally acceptable in the society I live in." So they can say that morality does in fact exist outside of God, and they are correct. It does. Morality is simply what is, or what is the norm.

The difference is the standard ethically.

Paul said what he said, because his standard is based on God, and yet he is a sinner by nature, and yet his struggle is with the flesh vs the spirit. nonbelievers don't have that problem ethically. If they don't like the morals they can simply change the standard and call that moral, and on and on it goes.

This still leaves morality as being subjective. Scientific data is subjectively interpreted, so how is it that one can then believe that science can tell us how the human brain ought to operate? Science may be able to tell us how the brain should physiologically work, but it cannot tell us what we ought to believe and not even necessarily what we ought to feel.
Thanks goodness we have this thing called the scientific method which we can utilize to mitigate human error and subjectivity, there is also peer review within the realm of science so that discoveries and theories are constantly being improved.

You seem to be missing the point, if we know how the brain should work, then we can make judgments on when it is not functioning as it ought, or if there are certain behaviors that are unhealthy for a brain and cause suffering.

What is good for the well-being and happiness of one person isn't necessarily what is good for the well-being of another. One person doesn't like being beaten but the other person might like beating people. A man rapes a woman, which might make him happy but clearly wouldn't make her happy. Maybe months or years later she takes an axe to him and it could very well be good for her well-being but it clearly isn't for his.
I don't know how this is relevant to the argument, I am not arguing for ethical egoism, if a person enjoyed raping another person who suffered this would be an immoral act. First of all, his brain is not functioning as it should be, and the whole system is built around making decisions that mitigate the harm done to others.

It's all still subjective. In order for morality to be objective, it must be outside of humans and their brains.
No, it's about making objective observations about human beings and their experience. By this line of reasoning I can also subvert your moral system as I would say that Scripture is subjectively interpreted therefore it ultimately is subjective. I don't think this argument if valid in either direction, but for you it is a double-edged sword.

Unless you claim an infallible interpretation.

And if the Nazis felt that by killing Jews they were making the world a better place for everyone else and increasing everyone's well-being, it could not then be meaningfully stated that what they did was morally wrong.
I am not arguing for Utilitarianism, this system takes into account the well-being of ALL sentient life, and there is nothing in this system that justifies the mass extermination of human beings.

One can also argue that suffering is often necessary to bring about positive or beneficial results, so we could then say that either the suffering of the Jews or the suffering of the rest of the world watching what was going on was for their eventual benefit.
Really, give us an argument that the suffering of the Jews would be beneficial for the rest of the world?

This is just a nonsense argument. What kind of scientific justification could be offered?

Morality again becomes something that we simply find distasteful, a personal preference.
No, it's not about personal preference, it is about objective facts regarding the human experience.

Not at all, it is merely the conclusion.
The first Premise is assumed, therefore it is a fallacious argument. Premise 1 must be substantiated as being valid and true before that conclusion can be reached.

If one wants to disbelieve God, then, as Ravi Zacharias states, any question of evil is meaningless, since if he didn't exist, the categories of good and evil are just personal preferences. If humanity is end all be all of morality, then it is subjective. Objective morality simply cannot exist if God does not exist.
It's not simply because humans exist, it is because of the quality that human beings and other creatures are able to experience. It is the fact that human beings are sentient and have a deep and vivid conscious experience that morality is possible to determine in this way. No one worries about stepping on a pebble, but you certainly would if it were a small child instead.

I completely agree that if a prophet declares something by right of God's will and it doesn't happen, he has spoken presumptuously. What if a prophet said "on the morrow Poseidon will send a might storm to us!" and there is in fact a huge storm the next day. Can we safely assume Poseidon exists?

I was reading about Sam Harris and I think we should go into this further.

"He also rejects the claim that the Bible was inspired by an omniscient god. He insists that if that were the case, the book could "make specific, falsifiable predictions about human events". Instead, he notes, the Bible "does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" -Harris

I pointed out how we Isaiah and Psalms are among the dead sea scrolls. Hard evidence that predates Jesus. We have 20,000+ new testament extant documents that verify what happened in Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53. This is hard archaeological evidence of a "falsifiable prediction about human events". The fulfillment of Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22 can be verified by non-christian sources. It's still a matter of faith whether one believes, but faith isn't baseless.

http://christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/does-jesus-exist.47900/

Also, posiedon, zeus, and odin are mythology, not theology. Scholars didn't determine the difference based on their opinions. Mythology are known legends, whereas theology is a rational study of the divine. People like Harris who don't know the difference between myths and hard archaeological and strong analogical evidence should find out more about if if they want to be taken seriously.

Here's a challenge to Harris claim than one "sentence that could not ave been written by a man or woman living in the first century".

http://christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/easter-eggs.47869/

Last edited:
Thanks goodness we have this thing called the scientific method which we can utilize to mitigate human error and subjectivity, there is also peer review within the realm of science so that discoveries and theories are constantly being improved.

You seem to be missing the point, if we know how the brain should work, then we can make judgments on when it is not functioning as it ought, or if there are certain behaviors that are unhealthy for a brain and cause suffering.

I understand you're just playing devils advocate here but I think Sam Harris has overstated his case in neuroscience.

Puzzlingly High Correlations
in fMRI Studies of Emotion,
Personality, and Social Cognition

University of California, San Diego
ABSTRACT—
"Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)
studiesofemotion,personality, and social cognition have
drawn much attention in recent years, with high-profile
studies frequently reporting extremely high (e.g.8) cor-
relations between brain activation and personality measures."

"We show how this nonindependent analysis inflates
correlations while yielding reassuring-looking scattergrams."

"To sum up, then, we are led to conclude that a disturbingly
large, and quite prominent, segment of fMRI research on emo-
tion, personality, and social cognition is using seriously defec-
tive research methods and producing a profusion of numbers
that should not be believed."

http://www.pashler.com/Articles/Vul_etal_2008inpress.pdf

Harris is inflating a correlation to infer a causation.

I am using well being to anchor moral values. That IS THE OBJECTIVE BASIS I am proposing.

I'm sure Christians and most Atheists agree pedophilia is wrong. If "well being" is the anchor, that can't be condemned. It's consensual and sexual pleasure is not harm. People engage in sexual relations everyday without any harmful effects, the harm comes later from the guilt and shame. If "well being" is to be the standard, the psychological damage is actually a strong argument to discard the Christian morals causing the conflict. It's a weak argument pedophilia causes harm, because if there was no stigma there would be no harm. Also, if well being is the objective anchor, abortion should be condemned not endorsed. Size or location doesn't make Killing a child right.

By contrast, we believe 1) there is a God and 2) he has made himself known. Divine inspiration is our anchor. Jesus said "woe to those who lead the children astray". Since atheists reject our premise, they naturally reject our conclusion. However, even if they reject what we believe, our objective standard is not at odds with condemning pedophilia, theirs is.

I understand you're just playing devils advocate here but I think Sam Harris has overstated his case in neuroscience.

Puzzlingly High Correlations
in fMRI Studies of Emotion,
Personality, and Social Cognition

University of California, San Diego
ABSTRACT—
"Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)
studiesofemotion,personality, and social cognition have
drawn much attention in recent years, with high-profile
studies frequently reporting extremely high (e.g.8) cor-
relations between brain activation and personality measures."

"We show how this nonindependent analysis inflates
correlations while yielding reassuring-looking scattergrams."

"To sum up, then, we are led to conclude that a disturbingly
large, and quite prominent, segment of fMRI research on emo-
tion, personality, and social cognition is using seriously defec-
tive research methods and producing a profusion of numbers
that should not be believed."

http://www.pashler.com/Articles/Vul_etal_2008inpress.pdf

Harris is inflating a correlation to infer a causation.
Neither of us are Neuroscientists, so it would not be fruitful to discuss this in depth as I could just find scientific articles that contradict this finding quite easily, especially since it dates back 6 years ago.

I personally believe that if God did not exist neither would cognitive thinking and therefore morality would not exist either. If God did not exist we would not have any sense is self awareness nor would we be asking these questions because we would not have developed the ability to use language by which to do so.

"He also rejects the claim that the Bible was inspired by an omniscient god. He insists that if that were the case, the book could "make specific, falsifiable predictions about human events". Instead, he notes, the Bible "does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" -Harris

I pointed out how we Isaiah and Psalms are among the dead sea scrolls. Hard evidence that predates Jesus. We have 20,000+ new testament extant documents that verify what happened in Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53. This is hard archaeological evidence of a "falsifiable prediction about human events". The fulfillment of Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22 can be verified by non-christian sources. It's still a matter of faith whether one believes, but faith isn't baseless.

Also, posiedon, zeus, and odin are mythology, not theology. Scholars didn't determine the difference based on their opinions. Mythology are known legends, whereas theology is a rational study of the divine. People like Harris who don't know the difference between myths and hard archaeological and strong analogical evidence should find out more about if if they want to be taken seriously.

Here's a challenge to Harris claim than one "sentence that could not ave been written by a man or woman living in the first century".

:thumbsup

How is this relevant to the topic at hand? This thread is a discussion about Moral Beliefs, not Sam Harris. His views on morality are of relevance to the thread however.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying, but this could turn into an off-topic discussion.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back