Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Morality

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do can we apply to God? God is sovereign as not our social peer. His might makes him right as it relates to what he can and can't do for , with, and to us human beings. This is a fact, not opinion. Look at scriptural examples:

1. Lot's wife
- she disobeyed and God killed her turning her to a pillar of salt
- I cannot be moral and kill my child for disobeying my commands

2. Nadab & Abihu (Aaron's sons who offered strange fire)

3. Job
- God allowed preventable torture and suffering to prove a point
- no man could do this and be considered moral
Which is why I brought up omniscient, objective morality. Compared To a finite, subjective morality. It SEEMS barbaric from our vantage point(Subjective and finite). But perfectly moral from a sovereign, Just, righteous and all knowing vantage point.

And if we base things off of Gods perfect character and nature........Lot's wife died physically( Which doesn't scare God and shouldn't scare anyone who is living in His plan. Death is relief and blessing) and went to be home with the Lord AND served as an example for mankind in His word. From her vantage point now.....She is totally content with how things worked out.

From our vantage point, it wasn't moral for God to send His perfect Son to die a miserable death for our sins. But it was perfectly moral from His vantage point.

Last edited:
We cannot apply human morality to God. That lowers God to our standard.

"Human morality" and "Divine Morality" aren't things. We just created these in our minds. Morality is simply a means of regulating the behaviors of individuals within a co-existing peer group in hopes of fostering a safe and fair environment for those individuals. Moral individuals fit into the group and foster the positive things the group desires. The immoral threatens the hopes of the group or makes the group uncomfortable.

"Human morality" and "Divine Morality" aren't things. We just created these in our minds. Morality is simply a means of regulating the behaviors of individuals within a co-existing peer group in hopes of fostering a safe and fair environment for those individuals. Moral individuals fit into the group and foster the positive things the group desires. The immoral threatens the hopes of the group or makes the group uncomfortable.
God's plan of morality applies to all humanity and does not change depending on individual cultures. Humanity's plan of morality is individually changed. In other words, we think what is morally right for me, may not be what is morally right for you.

God's plan of morality applies to all humanity and does not change depending on individual cultures. Humanity's plan of morality is individually changed. In other words, we think what is morally right for me, may not be what is morally right for you.

God does not have a plan of morality. What God has and has had are laws that serve to set apart his chosen and called ones. Examples from the OT include dietary laws and holy days. Examples from the NT include ordinances like baptism, the Lord's Supper, etc. Sometimes those laws intersect and thus supercede the morality of the culture while other times they have no bearing on the morality of that culture.

God does not have a plan of morality. What God has and has had are laws that serve to set apart his chosen and called ones. Examples from the OT include dietary laws and holy days. Examples from the NT include ordinances like baptism, the Lord's Supper, etc. Sometimes those laws intersect and thus supercede the morality of the culture while other times they have no bearing on the morality of that culture.
Please clarify, are you saying that Matthew 19:16-19 does not apply to everyone?

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

My understanding is that the 10 Commandments are not only rules to live by but also rules that convict. In other words what God was saying was, "You think you're good? How many times have you committed murder in thought, word, or deed? Have you ever committed adultery in thought, word, or deed? Have you ever stolen in thought, word, or deed? Have you ever lied in thought, word, or deed? Have you ever dishonored your parents in thought, word, or deed? Have you truly loved your neighbor?"

God's actions are above our understanding and definitely above our judgment. God is right to judge us thru rules He provides; we cannot judge God thru a human lens.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back