Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mormons and what they believe

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
yes, while not sounding contentious, i will refute one thing if the book of mormon is true then whatever it states must line up with the bible, yes, if both are the word of the lord. You state that we were in heaven before comming to the earth, where in the bible does it say that?

jason

I appreciate everyone taking the effort to try and learn what others believe. I have nothing against Mormons, if fact I am surrounded by them here in Salt Lake City, Utah. They have good moral values and seem like really good people.
There is one thought that I just cannot hold back. I think that it is so ridicules to believe that God was once like man and men will one day be like God. :crazy
God is the Alpha and Omega. He has no begining and no end. If Mormans really believed in the Holy Bible they would also surely find that belief, that God was once like man and man will be like God, to be absurd.
Sorry if I sound harsh. I really don't mean any disrespect towards anybody.

Johnny L, let me ask you a question please. As a Mormon, if you had to tell me who Jesus Christ was with only 3 words, what 3 words would you use?

Westtexas

Hi Johnny,

I live in a tiny island and we have one Mormon Church, comprising of only foreigners, I haven't seen a single local from that church. I see all of them very neat and impeccable, always wearing black pants, white shirts and black ties. It's really easy to detect them with such uniforms and they always hang out in groups, constantly evangelising to anyone and everyone on the streets. Why is evangelism so important to the Mormons and why must you wear uniforms ?

Tina

Tina said:
Hi Johnny,

I live in a tiny island and we have one Mormon Church, comprising of only foreigners, I haven't seen a single local from that church. I see all of them very neat and impeccable, always wearing black pants, white shirts and black ties. It's really easy to detect them with such uniforms and they always hang out in groups, constantly evangelising to anyone and everyone on the streets. Why is evangelism so important to the Mormons and why must you wear uniforms ?

Tina

On Sunday people go to church and wear dress cloths out of respect. We wear normal cloths during the weekdays.

You might have been looking at the missionaries if they had nametags! Not all mormons have to dress like that. They wear those close just out of respect, They are not uniforms.

When a young man in the church turns 19 years old. He has an opportunity to dedicate 2 years of service to God. We are called on missions to preach the gospel, proclaim repentence, and mainly serve others.

We believe that missionary work (evangelism) is so important because of the joyous message our gospel holds. Just as Paul in the new Testament, we want to serve our god.
What better place than for a young man 19 years of age to go out, drop all the girls, tv, games, family, and serve his god for 2 years. I am going on one of these missions in less than 4 months.

Oh ok , do you evanglise Christians and Catholics too ?
Let's say I listen to your gospel and make a decision to convert , what happens then ?
How do I convert to Mormon religion ?
Is there some sort of "bond" or "contract" that I need to sign ?

Conversely, out of curiosity, what about Mormons who decided to leave the faith ?
What happens to them ?

Tina said:
Oh ok , do you evanglise Christians and Catholics too ?
Let's say I listen to your gospel and make a decision to convert , what happens then ?
How do I convert to Mormon religion ?
Is there some sort of "bond" or "contract" that I need to sign ?

Conversely, out of curiosity, what about Mormons who decided to leave the faith ?
What happens to them ?

There is always a choice. If you decide to join the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, you can choose to be baptized.

There is no earthy contract. You make covenants that are between you and God. You choose whether to keep them or not.

Do you baptize by full immersion in water, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ?

But what if, as a Christian, I'm already baptized , must I baptize again ?

Johnny,
If I never join the Mormon church can I be forever with the Father, in His presence, in Heaven?

johnnylingoman said:
You read the book of mormon and our pearl of great price. Dig through it and see if it really is a book of god. How can you know if you never read it? See how it connects to the bible. I know you are smart and spiritual enough to know if it is of god or not to tell.

A scan of my copy of the Pearl of Great Price, Chapter 4:

And the Gods?
Almost every verse here begins with, "And the Gods"

[attachment=0:181v3zky]AbrahamCh4.jpg[/attachment:181v3zky]

We believe that god the father and his son Jesus Christ are two separate beings. God is eternal, heavenly, all knowing. His son Jesus Christ was sent to this earth to take upon him the sins of all mankind.

Jesus came to this earth so he could 1. perform the atonement and 2. die on the cross.

" 14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."
John 10:14–15, 17–18.

The atonement saved us from spiritual death
The Crucifixion saved us from physical death

In order for him to die, he needed to be mortal (from Mary)
In order for him to resurrect again, he needed to have godly heritage (from the god father)

With this:
These are scriptures that teach of the deep and compassionate love of the Father for the Son, and of the Son for usâ€â€attesting that Jesus volunteered willingly to be our Savior and Redeemer.

Before the great plan of happiness was proposed, Jesus Christ under the assistance of his literal Heavenly Father created the earth. This is why it makes it plural in that text. Jesus Christ and the Father are part of the god-head.

The god head consists of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost.
We believe these are three separate beings.

I know some of you think it is strange to think the godhead as 3 separate beings, but that is what we believe.

Famous Mormons

Hey this is a bit offtopic, but I was looking around and I even didn't know some of these

Did you know that these people are mormons?

David Archeleta (American idol finalist) I've met him. He went to a school a few miles away.
Glenn Beck (that really outspoken dude on tv)
Gary Alan (music)
The Aquabats (music)
Donny Osmond (music)
Stephanie Meyer (Author of Twilight) The girl book that I've never read.
Mitt Romney (presidential candidate) I couldn't vote for president then, so I never really was much into politics.

-- also this information is pretty cool

According to the 2002 statistical report, there are currently 11,721,548 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Here's the breakdown:

CHURCH UNITS
Number of Missions 335
Number of Stakes 2,602
Districts 641
Wards and Branches 26,143

CHURCH MEMBERSHIP
Total membership at year end 11,721,548
Increase in children of record during 2002 81,132
Converts baptized during 2002 283,138

MISSIONARIES
Number of Full-time Missionaries 61,638

why do mormans get baptized for the dead? and when the dead are baptized do they become counted as members of the LDS church?

johnnylingoman said:
I know some of you think it is strange to think the godhead as 3 separate beings, but that is what we believe.

Is Jesus a God? Is the Holy Spirit a God?
I'm asking because the text doesn't say "beings". It clearly states "And the "Gods" or "And they (the Gods)"
Capital letters too.

micaela said:
why do mormans get baptized for the dead? and when the dead are baptized do they become counted as members of the LDS church?

Mormons baptize for the dead by proxy and yes, the dead are then baptized into the church whether they like it or not. :lol
Thus, the interest Mormons have in genealogy.

johnnylingoman said:
I promise you if I find anything with my faith that is contradictory over how Christ or God wants us to live, behave, and treat our neighbors+family. I will consider your words. That you hold me to a promise. :thumb
You didn't really address my points. I wasn't talking about how God wants us to live, I was talking about who God is. I have provided quotes from Isaiah that clearly contradict central Mormon doctrine (shown clearly in the scan of Pearl of Great Price above) but you have not addressed that. Why not? Aren't you soon to be a missionary?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back