Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Mother Teresa's Spiritual Crisis >>

M

MrVersatile48

Mother Teresa's Spiritual Crisis at Center of New Book

Mother Teresa in April 1995.

She was easily one of the most recognizable women in the world. She was seen as a living saint by many. And she was a particular inspiration to Catholics.

But a new book about Mother Teresa, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light, based on the many letters she wrote to her spiritual counselors and confessors over an almost 50-year period, show a spiritual life that was, as she described it, dry, dark and lonely...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2007/08/m ... isi_1.html

'I Thirst'

What was going on with Mother Teresa?
Mary Poplin

As a deer pants for flowing streams,
So pants my soul for you, O God. (Psalm 42:1, ESV)

Mother Teresa recorded her longing to feel the presence of the Lord everywhere, not just in the letters published in Come Be My Light, an excellent book edited by Father Kolodiejchuk. It is emblazoned on the wall next to the crucifix in every one of the Missionaries of Charity chapels all over the world - I thirst. Mother believed Jesus' was thirsty for souls; She was thirsty for him...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... -12.0.html

I don't think you people know what the dark night of the soul is, do you?..... SHE DID NOT DOUBT GOD..... SHE WONDERED WHY SHE DID NOT FEEL HIM EMOTIONALLY.... try to read with out your catholic hating gogles

and she was evangelical just not the 21 century version ,she was the REAL DEAL circa her Saviors best year 33 A.D.

As a Christian, I feel Him emotionally, spiritually, etc.
I know everyone's walk is different but from the little I did read about it (and I would like to read it all) she did have her DOUBTS. That says a lot.
She was a sweet lady who gave of herself willingly (but unless she was doing these things in the name of Jesus alone, it was for self satisfaction). She performed works without faith.
From what I know of her, (and I could be wrong) she didn't know Him on a personal level and that's what it all boils down to.
It's the difference between Christianity and being religious. They're worlds apart.

ThreeInOne said:
I know everyone's walk is different but from the little I did read about it (and I would like to read it all) she did have her DOUBTS. That says a lot.
She was a sweet lady who gave of herself willingly (but unless she was doing these things in the name of Jesus alone, it was for self satisfaction). She performed works without faith.
From what I know of her, (and I could be wrong) she didn't know Him on a personal level and that's what it all boils down to.
It's the difference between Christianity and being religious. They're worlds apart.
So is your position therefore that faith is dependent upon 'feelings'?

ThreeInOne said:
she did have her DOUBTS. That says a lot.
have you ever had a doubt....remove your plank first.
ThreeInOne said:
she actually lived the gospel not just giving lip service as so many who say" I'm saved, works don't mean anything". I can honestly say she lived the gospel more than anyone on this forum
ThreeInOne said:
you can tell them by their fruits and I know she has more fruits than you...who are you to say "she didn't know Him on a personal level"...are you kidding
ThreeInOne said:
I know it's really hip now to say "I'm not religious" maybe you should look up what the word means....

back to her "not knowing Christ"...when is the last time YOU gave your entire life to Christ? When you meet people do they leave a better person? or do you say the "sinners prayer" and call it a day. Do you feed the hungry? Do you think of your "nonreligion" as it's me and Jesus and the rest of you can go to hell?... Do you actually bring Jesus with you or do you just talk about Him....remember many will say Lord,Lord but I knew you...

Texasgirl said:
ThreeInOne said:
So is your position therefore that faith is dependent upon 'feelings'?
Funny you should mention that since we just discussed this in our Sunday bible study before church this week.
Our "feelings" can be a confusing thing. Our flesh wants to focus on the negative when things are going bad. But since I've gotten saved over 20 years ago, I must say I do not let my feelings get in the way of the faith I have in Him. Biblically we are to walk by faith, not by sight. I trust Him for those words. He is in charge but sometimes we want to be the ones in control, even though we truly never are. It's always easier when I just give it to Him. Even the little things. That's not to say that I never have concerns or get upset but my trust in Him is my basis for living my life.

We are all human and do have human emotions but since my salvation, I have never questioned God's existance or power.
Whether or not this is what is meant by doubt by her, I don't know. I'll have to read about it and see what she exactly was referring to.
For the record, I have nothing against Mother Teresa. The Lord is her judge.

ThreeInOne said:
Funny you should mention that since we just discussed this in our Sunday bible study before church this week.
Our "feelings" can be a confusing thing. Our flesh wants to focus on the negative when things are going bad. But since I've gotten saved over 20 years ago, I must say I do not let my feelings get in the way of the faith I have in Him. Biblically we are to walk by faith, not by sight. I trust Him for those words. He is in charge but sometimes we want to be the ones in control, even though we truly never are. It's always easier when I just give it to Him. Even the little things. That's not to say that I never have concerns or get upset but my trust in Him is my basis for living my life.

We are all human and do have human emotions but since my salvation, I have never questioned God's existance or power.
Whether or not this is what is meant by doubt by her, I don't know. I'll have to read about it and see what she exactly was referring to.
For the record, I have nothing against Mother Teresa. The Lord is her judge.
I do believe that in order to make an accurate assessment one must read the book instead of secular news coverage. I have listened to the author of the book. Within the entire thing, there are a couple of quotes that taken out of context have been construed by the media that she questioned the existence of God. That is not what permeates through the letters at all. It is not doubt of God -- it is a lack of an emotional 'feeling' about God. As you've pointed out, feelings are not the basis for faith at all. Only the secularlists who don't understand that therefore conclude her 'faith' was in crisis. Of course to them, if she couldn't 'feel' it, it was therefore not real.

However, I think it is virtually impossible to conclude that she did these things for her own self-satisfaction, especially in the absence of 'feelings'. Especially not given the length of time she endured and the conditions she was in.

One final note -- her prayer as she believed that Jesus was calling her to this ministry for the poorest of the poor -- she prayed only to drink from the chalice of his pain, because she believed this would assist her in better understanding those she was called to serve, and bring her ever closer to Jesus. Let us remember that indeed his greatest pain must have come at the point he believed that the Father had indeed 'abandoned' him. And how those who are dying with no care must indeed feel abandoned as well. It would seem to me that her prayer was completely answered, and she remained faithful always.

biblecatholic said:
have you ever had a doubt....remove your plank first.
I started to respond to this on Friday but there was a family crisis going on so this had to wait.

I try real hard not to let "feelings" get in the way of what I know to be the truth and I'm sure when I was an "infant" Christian, I must have had doubts about things but I can't remember the last time I doubted. I trust Jesus 100%.
I'm just curious to understand what her doubts actually were.
This just leads me to believe she didn't know/trust Him personally. The catholic church doesn't teach that salvation is secure so of course she should have feelings of insecurity. That's my whole point.

biblecatholic said:
she actually lived the gospel not just giving lip service as so many who say" I'm saved, works don't mean anything". I can honestly say she lived the gospel more than anyone on this forum

So, you knew her personally? You lived her life? Sounds like you think God judges according to good works.
I do think good works are important and it's shown as a fruit. I have nothing against that at all.
And how is it that you just so happen to know that I DON'T live according to the gospel? By what little you read about what I think on these boards? I assure you, I have many, many layers that you'll never know about -- just as everyone else here. You must realize there's more to each and every person who posts here on these boards.

biblecatholic said:
you can tell them by their fruits and I know she has more fruits than you...who are you to say "she didn't know Him on a personal level"...are you kidding

Wow! Now you somehow "know" that she had more fruits than myself???? How in the world do you know this? You have no idea who I even am or what I've done in the name of Christ! Just because I am not a public figure so you assume I couldn't possibly be doing anything as wonderful as her?
So, you base someone on their good works and believe that they are better than anyone else? You are in for quite a shock.
I won't take anything away from what she did with her life but for you to just assume I am not living right with God is really quite presumputious.

biblecatholic said:
I know it's really hip now to say "I'm not religious" maybe you should look up what the word means....

Sorry, I don't hop on to hip band wagons just because it's the saying of the day. I've been saying this for over 20 years before I even heard others saying it. I could never understand the concept before I actually became a Christian. It's much more than just a "saying."
Who did Jesus have the most trouble with? The RELIGIOUS people of his day! Nothing's changed. No one hated religion more than Jesus Christ himself.

biblecatholic said:
back to her "not knowing Christ"...when is the last time YOU gave your entire life to Christ?

I don't like to talk about this because I don't like the focus on myself. God gets all the glory for all I do in His name. I will assure you that I live every single day of my life FOR Christ! Any little or big thing I do is FOR Christ. Last Thursday I volunteered my personal time for a good chunk of the day in the name of Christ. The whole weekend was about doing things in preparation for something for OTHERS in the name of Christ. Just about every single day I do something for someone else in the name of Christ. Sometimes it's just letting someone in front of me in line at a grocery store. I know that's just a small thing but when I see a mom with a small child needing arms like an octopus to do what she's doing, I will offer help in whatever way I can. Just giving a cold cup of water to someone in the name of Jesus is love. I do small things and I do big things. I do what I can for God's Kingdom. It's not about me or for me even though the Lord somehow blesses me for these things anyway. That's not why I do it. It's of the heart. I give of myself each day so that something will be easier for someone else. My flesh dies daily so that I can be closer to Jesus and become like Jesus.
So please don't come to me with rude comments of what you know absolutely nothing about. What I wrote above doesn't even begin to scratch the surface and I could go on about this but as I said, I don't like the focus on me because it's not about me. It's ALL ABOUT JESUS!!!!!!

biblecatholic said:
When you meet people do they leave a better person? or do you say the "sinners prayer" and call it a day. Do you feed the hungry? Do you think of your "nonreligion" as it's me and Jesus and the rest of you can go to hell?... Do you actually bring Jesus with you or do you just talk about Him....remember many will say Lord,Lord but I knew you...

Not that it's any of your business but I have brought food to people who need it. If God calls upon me to do these things, I do in fact do them. I enjoy doing things for others and in return, the Lord does bless me for it.
I don't know if I can make a person a "better person" as you put it but I can say that people generally feel good to be in my company. I know, you'll somehow make that comment sound like I'm conceited now but I assure you, that's not the case. People trust me. And you know, it's kinda funny...when one of my non-Christian friends has a problem, they always call me with prayer requests. They come to me because they know there is something different about me and know that I do have some kind of direct link to God. I try to explain to them that they can have it, too. Most aren't willing to give up their own lives for this though. The bible says that the person who tries to save (or hang on to) their lives will lose it but those who give their lives away for His sake, will gain it. And it is sooooo true! I have my life now but only thanks to Jesus.
I bring Jesus with me wherever I go, yes! I do not hide the fact that I am what one might call a "Jesus freak!" I just tell them "thank you!" :D I am not ashamed of my Savior. I share Him whenever I can.
Goodness, no! I never ever think it's just me and Jesus and the rest can go to hell! Never!!!! In fact, that's why I post here. Why would I waste my time doing such a thing if again, it wasn't giving of myself? This is also for the Lord. If something I say can reach just one person and that person then receives Jesus, then praise the Lord!
And you are right, there are going to be those who will say Lord, Lord but I knew you. Many are in for a great shock. Especially the religious people who never really got to know Him because their pride got in the way of knowing God's Truth. And the worst pride is religious pride. Pride is the #1 reason people end up in hell.
Do you know that everyone in hell right now is a believer? Only it's too late for them now. I weap over that thought. Many religous people think Christians like myself enjoy a thought like that. We honestly don't.
If God wants to use me to bring others to Jesus, I'm there.

threeinone,

I have no doubt that you are a man after God. I was commenting because I was upset about some comments directed to Bl Mother Teresa. It is not possible to do God's work to the extent that she did without being extremely close to Him.. I should have left my comment like that. I apologize for commenting out of anger

biblecatholic said:
threeinone,

I have no doubt that you are a man after God. I was commenting because I was upset about some comments directed to Bl Mother Teresa. It is not possible to do God's work to the extent that she did without being extremely close to Him.. I should have left my comment like that. I apologize for commenting out of anger
We are all human and make mistakes. I accept your apology.
I don't know if you read a comment I made earlier about myself having nothing against M.T. I truly don't. However, I still believe people can do a good work without even knowing God. Whether she did or not, only God and her know.
I commend her for giving her life like that but we can all do some kind of work, even if it's not going to Calcutta! I see work that needs to be done right across the street from me! God puts us where we are for a reason and we're not all meant to be missionairies. He has specific plans for each of us.

Back