Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mother's Day 2016

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I put my parents thru H-e-L-L on earth when I was younger. Even after I simmered down, I was just a patched up sinner until Jesus saved me, 3 years ago. fairly recently, I've changed inside and out. My parents have been amazingly supportive throughout all this, even when they were (understandably) furious at me, doubted me, etc.

NOW...Mother's Day is coming up. I don't know what to get. I know this sounds girly, but my mom has gotten more into skin care and such as she's gotten older, so last year I gave her some frou frou skin care (I have an aesthetician friend who guided me thru all that). I think she appreciated it and all, but...I dunno...I wanna do something better. Last year, for her B-day, I got her a gift certificate to a reputable seed company (she loves to garden). I think she appreciated it, but I don't know if she even used it :-(

I dunno. Books are out; movies are out; she has all the music she needs (Roy Orbison, Elvis, etc.). My dad can do the clothing. I was thinking about a gift certificate to sally's beauty supply. Girly, I know, but useful; she ditched the woman who was tinting her hair because she was kind of rude and her hair was getting fried. She does it herself now w/ stuff out of sally's, so I thought...maybe that would be good?

I just don't know. Maybe something dog-related? My parents have 2 little house dogs...Miranda and Sebastian...they really love, especially Miranda.

Ugh. I just don't know...

Write her a letter. You're very good at writing, Christ_empowered.

In the letter, share some of your favorite memories of her/with her while growing up. It can be something as simple as the way she made a particular meal fun ... or did something to make the 2 of you laugh. Maybe there was a particular way she did something that always brings a smile to you when you think about her. Let her know you love her, admire her, respect her. And be sure to thank her for accepting you, no matter what.

You can tuck the letter into a gardening book. I know you mentioned that books were out. But a solid book on gardening - perhaps something written for your particular area - should be acceptable & appreciated.

My kids have each written such letters at different points in their lives, and I still have the letters. They've meant so much to me!

Write her a letter. You're very good at writing, Christ_empowered.

In the letter, share some of your favorite memories of her/with her while growing up. It can be something as simple as the way she made a particular meal fun ... or did something to make the 2 of you laugh. Maybe there was a particular way she did something that always brings a smile to you when you think about her. Let her know you love her, admire her, respect her. And be sure to thank her for accepting you, no matter what.

You can tuck the letter into a gardening book. I know you mentioned that books were out. But a solid book on gardening - perhaps something written for your particular area - should be acceptable & appreciated.

My kids have each written such letters at different points in their lives, and I still have the letters. They've meant so much to me!
Awesome idea! I'm going to do that for my mom, and im going to send it in the mail!

I like the note idea....and where you are looking for a gift.....flowers. Maybe a potted flowering plant that she can take care of. Walmart usually has some.

It's in two weeks... (Less now). So don't forget.

Spend time with her :) (For all I know you could be spending plenty of time with her already of course)

Maybe a dinner like Eugene said (whether our or making it yourself)
Or maybe take her somewhere nice and go for a walk and have a chat
Tell her you love her! (Maybe you do already, but I know many, myself included, forget to say it because we just assume they know)

My oldest grandson wrote me a letter like the one AirDancer suggested, after he had spent a couple of weeks with me over a summer. I've had it on my refrig. for about 2 yrs now. I don't get to see him very often because he lives too far away. It is very precious to me. I still have all the letters that my great-grams wrote to me as a child.
Reading letters brings that person close to you, you hear and see them, no matter when or how far away they are, even when they may be in the very next room.

Then.
What about those who had very horrible mothers?

You know...the mommy dearest kind, flowers in the Attic kind...or just the run of the mill Narcissistic rage filled monster kind?

What do you get them for mother's day?

Then.
What about those who had very horrible mothers?

You know...the mommy dearest kind, flowers in the Attic kind...or just the run of the mill Narcissistic rage filled monster kind?

What do you get them for mother's day?

...........a bouquet of dandelions or snapdragons..............

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Its kinda hard to talk about...stuff...of any depth w/ my mother. She's sweet and all, but she also...I dunno...doesn't like to talk about emotional things or...yeah, its strange, I guess. Communication is not something my family is real big on (they're good people, btw...just unusual parents, I suppose).

I'm thinking I'll get some frou frou girly stuff...like a sea salt scrub and/or some designer brand hair mask, plus a nice card. :) Thanks again.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back