Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mr. Ekklesia...tear this temple down?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I do believe that church services were quite different than it is today. I think it was more like what we do as a Sunday Bible Study, with a leader but others actually participate.

You may have summed up in very simple and direct terms what various threads have been attempting to say. Thank you.

Thats good Debra, about the men speaking in church.

My take on masking tape the women was that the Men held to that idea. I see Paul quoting the men then saying 'What?? Did the word of God come to you men only.(mine).

I do believe that church services were quite different than it is today. I think it was more like what we do as a Sunday Bible Study, with a leader but others actually participate.

You may have summed up in very simple and direct terms what various threads have been attempting to say. Thank you.

Interesting. We have an adult Bible study in our church every Sunday before services. This is also when we schedule our youth Sunday school. What I notice is that we only get a handful of participants in the adult study. Makes one wonder why the rest show up for the Sunday service but not the Bible study. I think I might know the answer?

Makes one wonder why the rest show up for the Sunday service but not the Bible study. I think I might know the answer?

Why do you think that might be?
I have wondered about this myself but I don't come up with good answers.

I was invited to a prayer breakfast one time at a large Assemblies of God church. Guess what? I was the only one who showed up for the prayer time. When breakfast time came, everybody else showed up. Flesh vs. spirit? You bet. That's what I'm talking about. Think Sardis church! Look it up. Revelation.

I have laid out all the scriptural backing. You haven't responded.
So lets slow down.
We'll concentrate on just one reference.

Jesus told His followers in Matt. 20 not to create a 2 tier system. The special elete and the lower sheep.

Matt. 20
Greatness Is Serving

20 Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Him with her sons, kneeling down and asking something from Him.
21 And He said to her, “What do you wish?â€
She said to Him, “Grant that these two sons of mine may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on the left, in Your kingdom.â€
22 But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?â€[d]
They said to Him, “We are able.â€
23 So He said to them, “You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with;[e] but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.â€
24 And when the ten heard it, they were greatly displeased with the two brothers. 25 But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. 26 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. 27 And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.â€
Nowhere here are we to believe that this applies to anyone but the Apostles, to those to whom it is directly stated. To say that it does apply to the Church as a whole would be to ignore the evidence presented which clearly shows a hierarchical leadership in the NT church, and instituted by those very Apostles nonetheless.

Free, there ain't a thing I can do for you. Stay right where your at. Opposing yourself.
Have you no response? Care to even show me just where I am "opposing myself?" I'm not asking you to do anything for me, or for anyone else for that matter. This is about what the Bible says and doesn't say and your position is on thin ice.

Makes one wonder why the rest show up for the Sunday service but not the Bible study. I think I might know the answer?

Why do you think that might be?
I have wondered about this myself but I don't come up with good answers.

I think this is partially what Withheld is talking about. People don't take our faith seriously. Many claim the title "Christian" but few really fit the mold.

We think its all about attending the Sunday service, dropping a little something in the collection plate, and then going back to our regularly scheduled lives. I've been guilty of this more often than I care to remember or admit.

We think its all about attending the Sunday service, dropping a little something in the collection plate, and then going back to our regularly scheduled lives.

Yes, I think so too. I think it is harder for younger families too. They lead such busy lives, jobs and raising children with all their activities and such. I think people come to church already tried, so it's easier to listen to someone else preach to you and just trust what they say than to dig in. Studying and prayer takes time. Fortunately the Lord is generous in His grace and mercy.

Someone look up the church of Sardis.' You have a name that u r alive and yet you are dead. ' Have need of nothing. Just quoting scripture Reba so don't delete it.

Back