Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Must we be born again?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
!! Right.
Who could be more saved then him???!
This might make a good thread in theology....
How persons were saved before Jesus.

By faith.

Justified by faith; The righteousness according to faith.

The obedience of faith.

“By faith” means God spoke to a person and that person obeyed Him.

Job was faithful.

Job honored the Lord.

JLB

By faith.

Justified by faith; The righteousness according to faith.

The obedience of faith.

“By faith” means God spoke to a person and that person obeyed Him.

Job was faithful.

Job honored the Lord.

JLB
I THINK I started a thread on this...
Must go...will check later on.

Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. 2 Timothy 1:8-11

• who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,

JLB

Salvation by the forgiveness of sins was the straight path that John prepared the people for Jesus. It was noted that Johns disciples accepted Jesus while the Pharisees and Sadducee's who were not Johns disciples rejected Gods purpose for them.

As was noted by others and stated by Paul.
John's baptism was a baptism of repentance

Last edited:
I believe with you, that there are Jews who believe in Him.

However, John 8:31 isn’t the best scripture to point that out.

Not trying to argue, as I know your heart and motive.

Jesus ended up saying this to those Jews who believed.

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. John 8:42-45

JLB
JLB, You said: However, John 8:31 isn’t the best scripture to point that out.

For what reason? I said: Amen, I believe also that, there are some Jews that believe in Him: and you said:
I believe with you, that there are Jews who believe in Him.

However, John 8:31 isn’t the best scripture to point that out.

Not trying to argue, as I know your heart and motive.

Jesus ended up saying this to those Jews who believed.

I just wanted to point out that scripture because it shows to me that, for some reason as Jesus said in that scripture, to the Jews which believed on him, only, IF ye continue in My word, then are ye my disciples indeed.

I think that scripture is proving for all of the believers in Christ, because of the next verses as you have stated and is stated in that chapter.

This is only my opinion, what is yours?

Love always, Walter

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that scripture because it shows to me that, for some reason as Jesus said in that scripture, to the Jews which believed on him, only, IF ye continue in My word, then are ye my disciples indeed.

Amen.

If you continue in my word, you are My disciples indeed.

Amen!

JLB

I think that scripture is proving for all of the believers in Christ, because of the next verses as you have stated and is stated in that chapter.

This is only my opinion, what is yours?

Love always, Walter

My perspective is similar to yours, in that Jesus said some eye opening things to those who believed.

Namely, your father is the devil.

JLB

Salvation by the forgiveness of sins was the straight path that John prepared the people for Jesus. It was noted that Johns disciples accepted Jesus while the Pharisees and Sadducee's who were not Johns disciples rejected Gods purpose for them.

As was noted by others and stated by Paul.
John's baptism was a baptism of repentance
What does repentance mean?

When we repent are we also forgiven?

repentance
sincere regret or remorse for wrongdoing
a pledge of a good conscience towards God

forgiveness
repentance is a good start
We have a advocate.

Nineveh was spared but with the light of the gospel message if someone told me they didn't need Jesus as they could just ask God for forgiveness my reply to them would be
"its not for you to choose how to forgive sin"

repentance

forgiveness
We have a advocate.

Nineveh was spared but with the light of the gospel message if someone told me they didn't need Jesus as they could just ask God for forgiveness my reply to them would be

Repent, in context of the Gospel means turn to God, in submission to Jesus Christ as Lord.

If we are called to turn to God, then by default, we are called to turn away from Satan as our lord.

Repenting, turning to God, is how we are transferred out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God.

Repenting is how we “obey the Gospel”.

The way we repent is to confess Jesus as Lord.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

This is exactly what grants us the forgiveness of sins, in which we are baptized into Christ, by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus commissioning Paul - Words of Christ in red;

But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
“Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:16-20

JLB

Last edited:
Repent, in context of the Gospel means turn to God, in submission to Jesus Christ as Lord.

If we are called to turn to God, then by default, we are called to turn away from Satan as our lord.

Repenting, turning to God, is how we are transferred out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God.

Repenting is how we “obey the Gospel”.

The way we repent is to confess Jesus as Lord.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

This is exactly what grants us the forgiveness of sins, in which we are baptized into Christ, by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus commissioning Paul - Words of Christ in red;

But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
“Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:16-20

JLB
Yes, I have heard of Jesus.
with the light of the gospel message if someone told me they didn't need Jesus as they could just ask God for forgiveness my reply to them would be

repentance

forgiveness
We have a advocate.

Regrettably the word "repentance" is used incorrectly these days and so it makes it difficult to really understand its deep meaning.

Even without the correct understanding...
repentance does lead to forgiveness because one has remorse for wrongdoing...which you've stated above.

What else do you think is necessary to be forgiven if not being sorry for your sin?

I DO agree with JLB s reply to you in post no. 132 where he does explain the true meaning of the word "repent".

I believe it's important to understand the meaning of this word because it gives us a clear picture of what it mean to repent and turn toward God. Which includes forgiveness, BTW.

Reactions: JLB
Yes, I have heard of Jesus.
with the light of the gospel message if someone told me they didn't need Jesus as they could just ask God for forgiveness my reply to them would be

Without repenting and obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ, whereby we believe God raised Him from the dead, and confess Jesus as Lord, then we are not saved.

No Jesus = No forgiveness of sins

JLB

My perspective is similar to yours, in that Jesus said some eye opening things to those who believed.

Namely, your father is the devil.

JLB
Yeah! Why do you think Jesus said that, your father is the devil ? which covers a lot of area, but can you make it short ? The world has people who do believe that they have God for their father.

Walter

Last edited:
Yeah! Why do you think Jesus said that, your father is the devil ? which covers a lot of area, but can you make it short ? The world has people who do believe that they have God for their father.

Walter

They didn’t confess His as Lord.

When He told them plainly that He is the Lord, they picked up stones to murder Him.

• Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Then they took up stones to throw at Him

Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’ Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?”
Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”
Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. John 8:52-59

Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. John 12:42-42

JLB

They didn’t confess His as Lord.

When He told them plainly that He is the Lord, they picked up stones to murder Him.

• Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Then they took up stones to throw at Him

Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’ Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?”
Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”
Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. John 8:52-59

Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. John 12:42-42

JLB
Amen, and thanks for bringing that to my attention, which I have read those scriptures so many times.

Walter

Reactions: JLB

I am not sure what troubles you and Jb in regard to what I wrote.

repentance is a good start but is useless if one rejects Jesus -its not for man to choose how to forgive sin - we are sanctified by faith in Him

A true sign of salvation
But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

We believe in a resurrection of the unrighteous so as Paul wrote He and we also should strive to keep a clear conscience before God.

We are sanctified by faith in Jesus.
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

I would think a sincere faith in Jesus would show good fruit. A good tree doesn't bear bad fruit. A sign in ones heart to choose the good and reject the wrong.

Everyone who sins is a slave to sin unless the Son sets them free. No slave has a permanent place in a household. I believe the new creation, Christ in us, is such freedom. The one in us is greater than the one in this world.

repentance is a good start but is useless if one rejects Jesus -its not for man to choose how to forgive sin - we are sanctified by faith in Him

A true sign of salvation
But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

We believe in a resurrection of the unrighteous so as Paul wrote He and we also should strive to keep a clear conscience before God.

We are sanctified by faith in Jesus.
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

I would think a sincere faith in Jesus would show good fruit. A good tree doesn't bear bad fruit. A sign in ones heart to choose the good and reject the wrong.

Everyone who sins is a slave to sin unless the Son sets them free. No slave has a permanent place in a household. I believe the new creation, Christ in us, is such freedom. The one in us is greater than the one in this world.
There are theological problems with your post.
But I don't think you care to get into it. Which is fine with me.
I like to learn if I'm wrong about something, but not all of us are the same. What follows are accepted Christian beliefs and not my own opinion...any Christian church should believe in the following...

Here are the problems:
The meaning of the word SANCTIFIED.
We are NOT sanctified in Jesus. We are JUSTIFIED in Jesus.

REPENT does not mean what you think it means.
I and JLB have explained what it means...but you don't accept it. OK.

BAPTISM does not save....God saves us, but it is necessary to be baptized. It sounds like you may think that baptism saves.

Back