Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

My conclusions about my faith.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

7ruth

For a long period of time, I was a closet atheist. Wondering what separated my religion from the next, what made it better than the next, I sought out contradictions within other religions. Although I did find a plentiful amount of what I was looking for, I also found a plentiful amount of fallacies in Christianity. Simple concepts such as omnipotence with paradoxes such as 'can God create a boulder to heavy for him to lift?' really got to me after a while. My research didn't yield the results I wanted, and though I never openly accepted it, I didn't believe in any sort of God anymore because is didn't make sense to me.

For school, I started studying subjects in chemistry. One particular sect of chemistry I found to be extremely interesting was quantum mechanics. I was so captivated by it that I even went as far as to read about it outside of any school related activity. It intrigued me to find a section of science that we know many facts about, but yet no one can explain why these facts occur. In quantum mechanics, we learn that sub atomic particles (particles smaller than an atom, or in some cases, make up an atom) such as electrons defy all physical laws of nature. We know these particles such as electrons can be here and there at the same time, two places at once, but no one will ever make sense of it. It is just the way things are.

In science, sometimes even large scale theories are beyond are comprehension, such as the origins of the universe or the big bang theory.

This led me to my conclusion that even though some things might not make sense within Christianity, that doesn't necessarily make it false. I believe many things are beyond the human peripheral of understanding, we know in science that there are things beyond our understanding. I am aware that some things don't always make sense or are logical in Christianity and in my faith, but this to me clearly isn't a reason to not believe at all. I've read many verses in the bible that state that the wisdom of people on this Earth will be triumphed by God's.

Hi @7ruth : good to see you here on the forums.

It's good to make the Scriptures the trustworthy source of one's wisdom and knowledge.

Indeed, the Scriptures are centred on the Person of the Lord Jesus 'in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge' (Colossians 2.3), God only begotten Son and the Savior of sinners.

God bless His Word to you.

You've done 7ruth, what we all have done, try to understand our faith and find it consistant with the world we experience. And, you've decided what most of us have decided, that there are mysteries to our Chrisitan faith we'll never fully understand...and we can live with that. We're finite creatures trying to understand what is beyond even infinite, existing outside time and space. "for now we see as through a glass darkly."

PS: [MENTION=17657]7ruth[/MENTION]:

It's good to maintain a daily, prayerful Bible reading habit.

First of all, you said atheism was a religion which is completely false.And I honestly don't understand your type. Just because something cannot be understood yet, you just conclude that it never will be, and then just pick the believe you are most comfortable with?

I think it is really important to point out the second Clarke's law:

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

I am aware that some things don't always make sense or are logical in Christianity and in my faith, but this to me clearly isn't a reason to not believe at all.

Now here is a fundamental and basic truth about life and theology. Those who demand a comprehensible proof about Life, the Universe and Everything (God) are being very short sighted and perhaps prideful about everything. One thing we do know, is that almost everything that we have been taught and think we know is either an outright lie, or mere theory. I believe that when we humans finally, one day get full revelation...we are going to be astounded at the real reality that we have been living in.

And yet every religion claims that it is the ultimate truth. Quite ironic don't you think?

Excellent point 7ruth, when they made those discoveries in quantum physics nobody gave up on science.
Faith in Jesus isn't baseless.

First of all, you said atheism was a religion which is completely false.
I never said atheism was a religion. When I said my religion, I was referring to the time before I became an atheist.
And I honestly don't understand your type. Just because something cannot be understood yet, you just conclude that it never will be, and then just pick the believe you are most comfortable with?
Couldn't the same be said about not understanding God yet?

First of all, you said atheism was a religion which is completely false.
I never said atheism was a religion. When I said my religion, I was referring to the time before I became an atheist.
Oh, my reading comprehension mistake.:oops

And I honestly don't understand your type. Just because something cannot be understood yet, you just conclude that it never will be, and then just pick the believe you are most comfortable with?
Couldn't the same be said about not understanding God yet?

For me to answer that question, I would have to believe in God in the first place.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back