Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

My walk in a nutshell.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Blake

I started off going to Sunday school when I was a little boy, I would walk to church (a kid could do that in those days) and sit in my aunt Louise's classes and learn all about the baby milk of the scriptures -- Jonah and the Whale, Moses and the Egyptians, Noah and the Ark, the three youths Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego, and so on. I went of my own free will and I still have fond memories of it.

After we moved away from McDowell County I didn't go to church for awhile, probably not for several years or so until I hit middle school. I met my then best friend, he and his family were avid church of Christ believers, and they started getting me to attend with them. I enjoyed going very much, but it was still just a matter of the brain at that time. I knew of Jesus but I didn't know Jesus.

As time went on, that family moved to Tennessee. I visited once in awhile and would occasionally go to church with them when I did, it was part of the East Tennessee School of Preaching, and it was awesome. I don't see 100% eye to eye with the churches of Christ on certain things, but they're trivial things, and I never let it get in the way of me learning. What they lacked in my personal tastes and understandings (preterism mainly for those who want to know), they made up for in their immense Biblical knowledge, and it was around that time I started to actually get my head into the Bible. Like a lot of Christians who never really solidified their faiths past a "head game", I had never really invested any time in the written word, and I began to learn a good deal.

I had a particular love then (I was around 18 at this point probably) for Paul's books, particularly Romans. I also loved the book of Acts, and the four Gospels, and the Proverbs. My love for the Psalms didn't come until a little later, but I'll get to that. My learning had a touch of church-of-Christ bias in it, but I often daydreamed about the life and ministry of Paul and the question came to me at one point, if Paul came back to earth, would he recognize this church I go to? What would he think of it?

That question eventually led me to the Orthodox Church, where I truly learned reverence, humility and the fear of God. The Orthodox Church instilled a sense of spirituality in me that I hadn't had before, the CoC gave me Bible knowledge, and Orthodoxy gave me a receptive heart (Truly it was God who did all of these things, but these churches were the medium in which His grace reached me). The church of Christ sent a group of elders to my home to ask me to return in true Biblical fashion, and likewise they dusted their sandals clean of me when I told them I can't return, God is leading me somewhere else. They remarked that if it's about me coming alone to church without any family with me, that I shouldn't worry about that, and I told them my family had never come with me to church, and Jesus said in Luke's Gospel that He would set families apart. They told me that I still had the Holy Spirit and they sincerely hoped they would see me that following Sunday, but I never saw them again.

I entered into a lengthy catechumenate in the Orthodox Church. This was a learning period before water baptism, where one fasted and prayed and followed a liturgical calendar which was very rigorous and humbling, but likewise powerful and moving. I'm sure I have friends who would disapprove of such "legalism" but I didn't see it as such, in fact I was very refreshed by it, knowing that I had found a place in which prayer and fasting and reverence and humility were greatly valued and sought after. I went to visit a few monasteries during this time, and met holy men and women who had fled from the world in order to devote the entirety of their lives to Christ. I still wear the prayer rope that I got from one of them. I still remember the smell of the incense and the dimly lit Christian iconography by the candles, I can remember the sounds of them chanting Psalms and liturgies (this is when I fell in love with David and the Psalms!), I've heard it in English, Greek and Russian, depending on the monastery of course. During my final visit to one of these monasteries, I was considering the monastic life. I was world-weary, I wanted to hear more from God and run from this place, I had grown tired of it and I still sometimes have a heart that dwells in the desert while my body goes through the motions here "in the world", but I digress. They accepted me, not as a full-fledged monk, but as a novice of sorts who would live as a monk before vows were taken. But in my weakness, after a matter of days I ran away in the middle of the night, and I came home.

After this, I went through a dark night of the soul. I fell into a spiritual valley, and I lost my faith in God, but I hid it from everyone. I was an atheist for several years but kept up the appearance of Christianity for the sake of my family who wouldn't have been able to bear with the idea of me going off of the straight and narrow. But off I went, and with no intention of returning. There at the end, I was completely off the grid so to speak, an enlightened man, pantheistic, humanistic, proud to have shaken the aged shackles of primitive man and his superstitions.

About 4 months ago now, I was doing an inventory of my life, and I concluded that one major aspect of my life that I was failing in was spending time with my family, particularly on my father's side. Even though they lived close-by, I only saw them twice a year at best, and there was really no excuse for that. I decided that the best way to do that would be to surprise them at the Deliverance Temple, where most of them attended, and sit in at a service with them and join them for lunch afterwards (a family tradition I truly had been missing out on). I decided on a Saturday night that's what I would do.

I went to sleep while my mind was still fresh with all of the ideas of seeing my family and revisiting church, I didn't have any intentions on rekindling any old fire so to speak, I was still contently atheist and grounded in that reasoning and my intention was only to see my family -- but as I slept, be it a moment of divine inspiration or my sub-conscious mind at work I cannot say, but I dreamed of my father praying for me at the altar of the church. He was praying and crying for me to spiritually wake up, praying for our relationship. With that fresh in mind, I put on my Sunday's best and went on in.

Grace set in. The entire sermon I was entirely impenetrable, but at the altar call, the Lord saw fit to reason with me. I went there, and I told Him simply, "you win." The floodgates of heaven opened up and my family embraced me with spiritual love, the kind the congregation gets when the Spirit has been moving and love is not a mental concept but a tangible presence in the atmosphere. I went back a few times, grace revisiting me, drawing me closer in, unveiling the idols I had erected within my stony heart and destroying them, and finally -- after many years of striving for it through scripture studies, fasting, prayer, apologetics, what have you, I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The moral of this story is simple. I didn't "earn" the Spirit through Biblical knowledge. I didn't earn the Spirit through asceticism or through finding the correct church. I was freely given the Spirit through grace and mercy alone, the blood of Jesus Christ was and is the righteousness by which He sent the Spirit, grace and mercy which pulled an atheist home and utterly changed him when he had no choice but to come before God as a child with a child's understanding. I studied scriptures with some of the best and took part in liturgies written by Christian saints over a thousand years ago, it profited nothing in terms of salvation and the presence of God. I did so many things to prove my righteousness, and now I have a pretty pile of dirty rags to offer up to the Lord. He is our righteousness. He is our atonement. Is it all by Him and through Him. I will boast of nothing but the cross of Christ.

Took me about 20 years to get it. It was a long exodus, but how sweet is that milk and honey...

Last edited:
Blake,

Awesome testimony, I'm glad you shared it. It really showed me how God transcends all of what we can bring to the table.

I liked your story very much, but how did you eliminate the cause of your skepticism in the first place? I have found that once you open your faith to critical thinking it only collapses. I haven't found a way to be sure of my faith logically.

I liked your story very much, but how did you eliminate the cause of your skepticism in the first place? I have found that once you open your faith to critical thinking it only collapses. I haven't found a way to be sure of my faith logically.

I know your question was not directed to me, but I can tell you a couple things that secured my faith logically.

The dinosaurs became extinct with a meteor hitting the earth. It looks like that will be our fate also. Revelation 1:14-15

And, Jesus is a real person that walked the earth......and his bones are not on earth. That would be beyond ridiculous to calculate time (years) from the birth of a non-existent person. So it is the truth.

I know your question was not directed to me, but I can tell you a couple things that secured my faith logically.

The dinosaurs became extinct with a meteor hitting the earth. It looks like that will be our fate also. Revelation 1:14-15

And, Jesus is a real person that walked the earth......and his bones are not on earth. That would be beyond ridiculous to calculate time (years) from the birth of a non-existent person. So it is the truth.
I guess that's your logical reasoning's, but that kind of reasoning does not give me a whole lot of confidence. I like to have some methodological process to help me when constructing ideas and theories.

I guess that's your logical reasoning's, but that kind of reasoning does not give me a whole lot of confidence. I like to have some methodological process to help me when constructing ideas and theories.

Jesus compares us to a field. We are God's crop, so that is a method. He will harvest the righteous out of this crop.

I thought I could beat skepticism by learning the Bible more and more, and by experiencing holiness in many ways I thought I'd had it all figured out. Praying with monks and learning apologetics and hermeunetics didn't keep me from falling into non-belief. When I went back to church that day I was completely an atheist and didn't plan on trying to change a thing about the way I thought, after all, I was convinced there was no God. Even when I felt the Spirit tug at my heart I resisted and quenched it, but at the altar I told Him that He had won me over.

In my silent prayers up there I told Him that I have no idea what to think about anything anymore. In short though, I didn't eliminate my skepticism, Jesus did it for me. And it's not like it was a cure-all, because there are thoughts that come into every person's mind I believe that question whether this "God thing" is the truth or not, but a man is more than just his thoughts. The mind does our thinking for us, but the soul is the perception of those thoughts. Whether or not we allow our mental state to change our spiritual state is a choice that we make. I am firmly rooted in the belief that we must make our thoughts obedient to Christ.

I thought I was very solid in my faith mentally, on a thought-level -- essentially in my ego. But the wonderful and miraculous thing of it is, when God baptized me with fire, it was not a mental thing, it was a spiritual thing, it was a heart thing. My mind fails to properly argue against what I now feel in my heart and soul to be true. He revealed Himself to my heart, in ways which made sense to my heart. As an Orthodox Christian we often prayed for a heart full of compunction, we would petition the Lord to send us tears to mourn our sinfulness. But I never could get them. Now, after a great humbling in my life -- realizing I know NOTHING but Christ crucified, attending a church that I was critical of and mocked when I was in the church of Christ and the Orthodox Church (I considered Pentecostalism to be rampant and unbridled emotionalism which was displeasing to God) -- God has given me tears. I sought the presence of God in the monasteries and caught glimpses of it here and there, and now I enter into the very Holy of Holies while driving to work in my truck. I enter into the presence of God with a wide open heart, with tears, with all praise.

It all came when I realized I can't attain these things through my works, nor my thoughts, whether they are obedient or disobedient to Christ. Christ is our obedience and our righteousness. In giving it all up to Him and going to His feet as a child, He gave me the gifts I desired -- the presence of God and a "washing post" as the Orthodox monks called it, tears. It's hard for me to explain beyond that. I don't care and indeed the knowledge has ZERO power to save or damn my soul whether or not the church will be raptured or when, I don't know with full confidence whether Genesis is literal or allegorical, it doesn't matter to me these trivialities that we so often argue about on Christian message boards about theology and doctrine, I know only a couple of things: Jesus is the Son of God. He died on the cross that my sins and the sins of mankind would be eternally atoned. He took on every sin and every curse of flesh and law upon Himself and we are heirs of His righteousness through Him.

I thought I could beat skepticism by learning the Bible more and more, and by experiencing holiness in many ways I thought I'd had it all figured out. Praying with monks and learning apologetics and hermeunetics didn't keep me from falling into non-belief. When I went back to church that day I was completely an atheist and didn't plan on trying to change a thing about the way I thought, after all, I was convinced there was no God. Even when I felt the Spirit tug at my heart I resisted and quenched it, but at the altar I told Him that He had won me over.

In my silent prayers up there I told Him that I have no idea what to think about anything anymore. In short though, I didn't eliminate my skepticism, Jesus did it for me. And it's not like it was a cure-all, because there are thoughts that come into every person's mind I believe that question whether this "God thing" is the truth or not, but a man is more than just his thoughts. The mind does our thinking for us, but the soul is the perception of those thoughts. Whether or not we allow our mental state to change our spiritual state is a choice that we make. I am firmly rooted in the belief that we must make our thoughts obedient to Christ.

I thought I was very solid in my faith mentally, on a thought-level -- essentially in my ego. But the wonderful and miraculous thing of it is, when God baptized me with fire, it was not a mental thing, it was a spiritual thing, it was a heart thing. My mind fails to properly argue against what I now feel in my heart and soul to be true. He revealed Himself to my heart, in ways which made sense to my heart. As an Orthodox Christian we often prayed for a heart full of compunction, we would petition the Lord to send us tears to mourn our sinfulness. But I never could get them. Now, after a great humbling in my life -- realizing I know NOTHING but Christ crucified, attending a church that I was critical of and mocked when I was in the church of Christ and the Orthodox Church (I considered Pentecostalism to be rampant and unbridled emotionalism which was displeasing to God) -- God has given me tears. I sought the presence of God in the monasteries and caught glimpses of it here and there, and now I enter into the very Holy of Holies while driving to work in my truck. I enter into the presence of God with a wide open heart, with tears, with all praise.

It all came when I realized I can't attain these things through my works, nor my thoughts, whether they are obedient or disobedient to Christ. Christ is our obedience and our righteousness. In giving it all up to Him and going to His feet as a child, He gave me the gifts I desired -- the presence of God and a "washing post" as the Orthodox monks called it, tears. It's hard for me to explain beyond that. I don't care and indeed the knowledge has ZERO power to save or damn my soul whether or not the church will be raptured or when, I don't know with full confidence whether Genesis is literal or allegorical, it doesn't matter to me these trivialities that we so often argue about on Christian message boards about theology and doctrine, I know only a couple of things: Jesus is the Son of God. He died on the cross that my sins and the sins of mankind would be eternally atoned. He took on every sin and every curse of flesh and law upon Himself and we are heirs of His righteousness through Him.
So your basically saying that your faith is experientially based (it's something that you experience on a personal level) But without real facts how do you know what's happening to you experientially? Or do you have some real facts that lead you to know that jesus is the author of the universe.

What do you mean by real facts? I'm confused. Everything I said was real and fact.
No, none of what you said were facts, facts are drawn by experimental and repeatable tests that result in objective information. I have never found that faith can endure that kind of methodological testing.

I agree with you, it definitely can't endure that kind of methodological testing. There's really only one way faith can stand.

1 Corinthians 2:6 Yet among the mature we do speak wisdom, though it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to perish. 7 But we speak God’s wisdom, secret and hidden, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But, as it is written,

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—

10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 11 For what human being knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So also no one comprehends what is truly God’s except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. 13 And we speak of these things in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual.

14 Those who are unspiritual do not receive the gifts of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to them, and they are unable to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 Those who are spiritual discern all things, and they are themselves subject to no one else’s scrutiny.

16 “For who has known the mind of the Lord
so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ."

A faith which endures is spiritually revealed. It can't be scrutinized in the manner which you're looking for it.

I agree with you, it definitely can't endure that kind of methodological testing. There's really only one way faith can stand.

1 Corinthians 2:6 Yet among the mature we do speak wisdom, though it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to perish. 7 But we speak God’s wisdom, secret and hidden, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But, as it is written,

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—

10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 11 For what human being knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So also no one comprehends what is truly God’s except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. 13 And we speak of these things in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual.

14 Those who are unspiritual do not receive the gifts of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to them, and they are unable to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 Those who are spiritual discern all things, and they are themselves subject to no one else’s scrutiny.

16 “For who has known the mind of the Lord
so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ."

A faith which endures is spiritually revealed. It can't be scrutinized in the manner which you're looking for it.
I view people the same way but only about those who don't use their inner critical thinking to analyse the world around them. To me they also lack a true wisdom, the wisdom of rational thinking.

Thank you for your powerfully written testimony, Blake. You've talked from your heart, and bits and pieces of your journey will sound personally familiar to all of us. I'm particularly pleased to see you openly talk of your dark night of the soul. It's such a life changing experience, not easy to go through because of the feeling of meaninglessness that overcomes you. But, what a sense of joy and connection to God when that spiritual renewal happens.

I view people the same way but only about those who don't use their inner critical thinking to analyse the world around them. To me they also lack a true wisdom, the wisdom of rational thinking.
Sinful thinking/behavior is irrational. Man justifies it as rational and wise because he is in bondage to it.

Tiny, tiny steps.
shifty.gif
And....very very carefully.

Back