Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Narcissism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Mkay. But my post wasn't referring to the mental illness. It was approaching the situation from the standpoint that we're all a little narcissistic by nature.

The behavior my be sinful, but it's the mind that's controlling that behavior.

We all exhibit some traits of narcissism, but a full blown narcissist exhibits all the traits.
I think if a person can admit that they are narcissist and want to work on it that is a good thing.

The behavior my be sinful, but it's the mind that's controlling that behavior.

We all exhibit some traits of narcissism, but a full blown narcissist exhibits all the traits.
I agree totally ... One does not need to repent to God for cancer .. or a broken leg ..is it an illness or a disorder ... i say it is sin...

I agree totally ... One does not need to repent to God for cancer .. or a broken leg ..is it an illness or a disorder ... i say it is sin...
Fair enough, but it doesn't seem too far fetched to say that excessive, and I do mean excessive as in excessive to the realms of utter ridiculousness, love of self (narcissism) could be rooted in a mental illness/personality disorder.
I don't know much about this in particular, so I could easily be wrong. Though as someone who is sympathetic to mental illness, which is pretty criticized since it's not visible, I guess I'm just careful about writing things off too quickly.

There's no known *cure* because the problem is so deeply entrenched and...

...its like this: if you are diagnosed NPD, you stay diagnosed NPD...because they say there is no cure. See what I'm saying? So like, my current counselor says I've outgrown NPD, which does happen. I had it as a teenager to age 20, had terrible life experiences, now its over (oh, yeah...not to mention divine intervention). BUT...those who treated me years ago (and treated me poorly, I should add) say I'm more narcissistic than ever, blah blah balh. See where I'm going with this?

Here's the thing..."mental illness" is tricky enough. There's no blood work, no brain scan, that can diagnose "mental illness." You get a diagnose, they throw pills at you, that's it. "Personality disorders" take things to a whole new level. Now you're saying this person doesn't have one of those invisible "mental illnesses," but that their personality is "disordered." Well, who decides? Often, a personality disorder diagnosis is just a moral judgment, using pseudoscientific terms to basically say "This person is bad."

To say there is no cure is to say there is no hope...and the disorder doesn't evens how up on brain scans or other forms of labwork. It exists in the eye of the beholder. As a Christian, I believe that I have to "hold every thought captive to Christ," and Christ says we all have to die daily. We're also told that Christians are all new creations in Christ Jesus...."...such were some of you, but you were washed and made clean." See where I'm going with this?

There's no known *cure* because the problem is so deeply entrenched and...

...its like this: if you are diagnosed NPD, you stay diagnosed NPD...because they say there is no cure. See what I'm saying? So like, my current counselor says I've outgrown NPD, which does happen. I had it as a teenager to age 20, had terrible life experiences, now its over (oh, yeah...not to mention divine intervention). BUT...those who treated me years ago (and treated me poorly, I should add) say I'm more narcissistic than ever, blah blah balh. See where I'm going with this?

Here's the thing..."mental illness" is tricky enough. There's no blood work, no brain scan, that can diagnose "mental illness." You get a diagnose, they throw pills at you, that's it. "Personality disorders" take things to a whole new level. Now you're saying this person doesn't have one of those invisible "mental illnesses," but that their personality is "disordered." Well, who decides? Often, a personality disorder diagnosis is just a moral judgment, using pseudoscientific terms to basically say "This person is bad."

To say there is no cure is to say there is no hope...and the disorder doesn't evens how up on brain scans or other forms of labwork. It exists in the eye of the beholder. As a Christian, I believe that I have to "hold every thought captive to Christ," and Christ says we all have to die daily. We're also told that Christians are all new creations in Christ Jesus...."...such were some of you, but you were washed and made clean." See where I'm going with this?
I have never seen a hint of narc in you in all the time you've been in this forum. I've always been amazed when you say you've been diagnosed with narcissism.

If you don't understand narcissism, understand it as this: defensive pride.

It's a self defense mechanism. Only a genuine faith and trust in God can give the narc the courage to not be so arrogantly defensive and self centered.

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but some people believe this could be cured by laying on of hands and expelling evil spirits. I know pastors who will say that this really doesn't exist, that all mental illness IS from evil spirits.

I'm not saying I believe this, but I do wonder sometimes if some of it could be gotten rid of this way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back