Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

New Seeker

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Abishai100

Hi.

I'm new to this forum.

I'm a graduate of Dartmouth College (Hanover, New Hamshire, USA) and I conduct a Judeo-Christian sabbatical during which I distribute and share messages of Christ on the World Wide Web.

My hobbies include comic books and culinary arts.

I seek to read testimonies and thoughts of peers on this forum and perhaps to gain some perspective on one of my recent newfound subject interests: the Fountain of Youth.

The Fountain of Youth is a fabled body of water sought after by Spanish explorers in the New World who believed that the waters could offer the drinker eternal youth and hence immortality. How does the Fountain of Youth represent timeless human curiosity about the subtle sensitive relationship between fear and missionary crusades?

Thanks!

Hi Abishai and welcome to CF.net in Jesus’ name. Your quest for the human condition of seeking immortality is prevalent with all religions I’m aware of, and its product is normally perceived as being available through works of one sort of the other. There used to be saying “I found it” expressed to denote having discovered Christ by Campus Crusade for Christ at http://daviswiki.org/I_Found_It. In actuality God sought and found us lost and provided full salvation to all whom would receive it.

The fountain of youth? Gen 18:10 And he (God) said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

Immortality? 2Tim 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

You speak of a sabbatical. Our rest is in Christ and we that receive that gift of God which is eternal life have eternity to dwell in its benefits world without end.

It appears man is indwelt with the measure of faith as we’re told in Rom 12:3, but not all men have faith according to 2 Thes 3:2; what happened to it? Did curiosity such as seeking a fountain of youth lead to his destruction? How does this relate to a relationship between fear and missionary crusades?
:thinking

The Fountain of Youth is a fabled body of water sought after by Spanish explorers in the New World who believed that the waters could offer the drinker eternal youth and hence immortality. How does the Fountain of Youth represent timeless human curiosity about the subtle sensitive relationship between fear and missionary crusades?
Hm why does this feel like sitting in an exam? :tongue

the subtle sensitive relationship between fear and missionary crusades
You propose such a relationship exists, but for anyone not specifically interested and educated about missionary crusades and their motivations it is hard to see whether this relationship exists at all, and if so of what nature it is.
In the light of the fountain of youth we could guess that the discovery of a continent unknown to westerners would instigate their imagination of the endless possibilities that the continent could hold. The newly discovered land can be used as a projection surface of our dreams of wealth, power, fame, wisdom, adventure or immortality. When it comes to a fabled fountain of youth it's of course about immortality and the fear of death, and thus that fountain legend may be the result of the human discomfort with our mortality (or our awareness thereof). A mission crusade or a discovery voyage can thus bring twofold immortality: fame can make our names and the memory of our lives immortal, and finding the legendary youth fountain could make us physically immortal.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

This is probably how that yarn got started..:)

tob

*edit: Welcome aboard Abishai! :wave

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back