Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

New testament and old testament

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have a teacher who thinks that God is wrathful in the old testament and loving in the new testament.

I disagree with this. I think he is both (because he's God and God doesn't change). Do you think there is a mean I-will-smite-you-God in the old testament and a soft loving God in the new testament or do you think he stays the same all the way through and is both? Thoughts?

He is, of course, both.

First, about the wrathfulness.....God's wrath in the OT is an inevitable result of his children constantly trying his patience by rebelling against him over and over, and over, and over, and over.....and in the NT, Jesus showed a little wrath himself, when he put a little "disciplinary action" on those moneychangers in the temple.

Then there's the love. God's love for us is what kept him from destroying us completely, as fed up as he was with us. It hurt him so much to send that flood, that he promised Noah he'd never do it again. He kept bailing his Israelite children out of the trouble they had brought on themselves, over and over and over, out of Fatherly love for them. And the OT is filled with prophecies about what would be his ultimate act of love, the sending of his only son. He willingly watched his beloved son be tortured and killed for us to be saved.....and Jesus was willing to suffer that torture and death to save us.....making it crystal clear how much the Father and Son both love us.

I have a teacher who thinks that God is wrathful in the old testament and loving in the new testament.

I disagree with this. I think he is both (because he's God and God doesn't change). Do you think there is a mean I-will-smite-you-God in the old testament and a soft loving God in the new testament or do you think he stays the same all the way through and is both? Thoughts?

Malachi 3:6:For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Christian believers change God.

Luke 19:27:But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

The verse above - is it ignored by ministers?

Jesus told his followers to buy a sword...

Luke 22:36-38:36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Are we to say Jesus is not like God?

John 14:8-11:8Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

John 10:30:I and my Father are one.

Christians are the ones who soften Jesus.

John 2:15:And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

If Jesus is like God and God is...

Exodus 15:3:The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Why would Jesus be different from God?

Jesus came to bring a sword...why do Christians ignore that?

Matthew 10:34:Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Indeed - God does not change,nor do the Israel people.
God's people were Israel
Exodus 4:22:And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

And Jesus was sent to Israel.

Matthew 15:24:But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Last edited by a moderator:

For our own good, the Lord's discipline can be quite severe, but he loves us.

IDo you think there is a mean I-will-smite-you-God in the old testament and a soft loving God in the new testament or do you think he stays the same all the way through and is both?

Has your dad ever disciplined, even spanked you as a child, for being a spoilt brat or something? Does he still spank you today or does he discipline you in other ways ?

Is he the same dad then and now? It doesn't mean he didn't love you before nor that he loved you less, does it? ... Same with God !

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back