Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

NFL Draft

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Dave...

If you're interested, here is a link to some of the best mock draft sites.

http://www.insidetheeagles.com/mockdraftlinks.htm

The #1 rated mock is The NFL Draft Countdown.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

If you look at the top of the page, there is a rankings page that ranks players "Top 250", or by position.

See what your team needs are and also who they are favored to take in the 2005 draft. These draft boards change as info on players change, such as combine results, personal workouts, free agent signings etc.

Who is your team and who do you think they will pick?

My team is the Browns and i think the best thing for us to do, picking third, is to trade down and try to pick up extra picks. We have lots of holes to fill. :-D

15 days and about 16 hours or so from now.... :lol: , I can't wait for the draft.

I'm pleased with the off-season moves the Browns have made, first and foremost getting Savage as GM and Crennel as coach. While Crennel hasn't had the opportunity to show us much yet, Savage has been doing a great job cleaning up our roster mess. I like all his moves with exception of trading for Dilfer, which I think was a mistake, unless they draft a QB with the 1st rounder. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing them trade down a few spots to get a few more picks but I think they have a player that they want providing he's there. If not, then they go ahead and trade down.

The smokescreen.... is Braylon Edwards. Everyone is talking him up and in actuality both the 49ers and Dolphins could use a player like that. Personally, I don't want the Browns to draft him. I think he'll be a decent pro but from watching his season he isn't the caliber WR of say Fitzgerald or Roy Williams. Given the long line of Michigan WR busts (with exception of Amani Toomer), I would like to see the pick used on someone else or traded for more picks.

I think the Browns are trying to convince the 49ers to rethink who they are going to use their #1 pick on. Truth be known, Tim Ratay is actually a good QB when's he plays, but the problem is that he is always hurt. If you look at their WR corp, nobody stands out. They cut Brandon Lloyd who most thought would step up after T.O. flew away to Philly. Their best assett in the passing game is their TE. So I wouldn't be really shocked to see Edwards go to SF #1 overall.

The Dolphins have to take a RB. Unless Saban wants to make enemies out of all Dolphin fans and work out the problems with Ricky Williams. I don't see Ricky giving up his "habit" to make a comeback no matter how much money he owes the Dolphins. While the Dolphins do need a QB at some point, I think it says a lot about what the Dolphins are planning to do by the fact that Saban is going to stick with Feeley. I'm really convinced unless the situation with Ricky Williams drastically improves over the next 2 weeks, then most likely the Fins take Ronnie Brown over Cedric Benson at #2.

So who do the Browns want at #3?! Well they worked out both QB's. They made an early blink at Derrick Johnson at LB, and I'm sure Romeo Crennel would love the big play potential of Antrel Rolle at CB who plays the slot very well and is a great blitzer. But the latter two would be a stretch at #3, so I believe its down to the 2 QB's. A lot will depend on what happens with the top 2 picks. But if they can sneak their guy down to #3 then I think the Browns know who they want.

With that in mind, lets re-visit the Browns 1st pick when they rejoined the league in '99. Tim Couch came from an offensive system in Kentucky that was pretty much pass oriented. Much like that one, Utah runs a similar style offense using shotgun formations quite frequently. But its no surprise that these QB's end up frustrated in the pro's with D's being much better. With that in mind, I hope the Browns stay far away from Alex Smith. First and foremost, the Browns will not be using a pass first style offense. Reuben and Lee will see the ball a lot and lets not forget the big weapon that never had much of a chance last year, Kellen Winslow Jr. KW2 will be a big part of this offense, but this is definitely going to be run first. With that being said, Alex Smith just doesn't fit. If he is the QB option available at number #3 then I'm pretty sure that the Browns trade down or pick someone else.

So with that being said, it leaves one person that I'm convinced both fits the Browns system and is actually similar (& a former teamate) of the other high QB prospect scouted prior to this year by Phil Savage. Keep in mind that Newsome & Savage had the Ravens ready to pounce on Kyle Boller when they saw that he was available for longer than they thought and decided to trade up and nab him in the middle of the first round back in '03. So with that being said, I think Savage has convinced the Browns that if he drops to #3, then Aaron Rogers is they guy to take.

A lot can happen in the next few weeks and if the first two picks eliminate Rogers from being a possibility, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns trade down. I think if they do trade down they will still have their eye on another QB in the late first/early second round. Charlie Frye is their second choice at QB but I'm convinced that if Rogers is available at #3 then he is the guy they are going to take.

There is a thread that I started in the "watercooler" that i'm hoping will get some serious discussion, check it out. It's called "So, you want a top wide out in this years draft?"

I also hear that the Browns are secretly moving one of their D linemen to linebacker, i'm assuming that it's Kenard Lang, but not sure.

I like the Browns off season moves also. It's nice to have someone in the front office, and on the field for that matter, that knows what they are doing.

I'll tell you who I really like, is Castillo from Northwestern. As a mid to late second round pick I think he's going to be a steal for someone. I was a little high on Andrew Walter, but my opinion of him is changing. Cambel looks like a solid prospect for our second round pick. If we draft another QB in the fist round, I think it would be a mistake.

I've seen film of, and know why Edwards has the bad hands rap. Notice that in his workouts he doesn't drop a thing. He drops passes over the middle because he's afraid to get hit. That's something that in most cases is unfixable. Must have been those Buckeye defenses that have him running scared. :-D

Bernie always said that the key to being a sucessful QB in Cleveland is to first be able to throw a tight spiral consistanly. Mainly because of the wind in Oct., Nov, and Dec.. Smith flutters one out of every three of his passes. those could be picks in our stadium. Frye has been known to throw wounded ducks also. That, and his arm strength are the only things that Keep me off of the Frye bandwagon.

Rogers and Smith remind me of Manning and Leaf in 98. Smith is like the Payton Manning and Rogers is like the Leaf. Maybe those labels are unfair, but it's stuck in my mind and I can't shake it.

Yeah, I heard it was Lang that they planned on moving to LB. They must have someone else in mind to fill in the line because Marquez Douglas (ex-Raven) went to SF. Savage was hopeful to have a shot at him after the draft. That would leave Roye and Fisk and maybe McKinley. Our d-line is thin at the moment though I'm pleased to be rid of Warren and Brown (cap killer, injury) & Ekuban (for injury risks). I think Lang will make a good run stopping LB and Chaun Thompson is becoming a force. If Davis can stay healthy he will be solid in the middle and Stewart is said to be a good 3-4 LB. Boyer may start I'm not sure. Taylor will make a solid b/u.

My biggest concern with KW2 is that he should not be in on every punt block situation. Even though he was hurt on an onside kick, we really did need him on the field in that situation because he has the best hands of anyone on the team. However, though he may be good at pressuring the punter, its only a matter of time before some decides its a good opportunity to take a cheap shot. We can't afford to lose him again.

While I'm certainly not ready to compare Aaron Rogers to Peyton Manning, I think he has what it takes to play in Cleveland. He has a strong arm and a tight spiral. I think he has more potential than Boller as far as that goes. To be honest, I think we'll see a big difference in Kyle this year as they open up the playbook a little more and adding Mason is going to give him a necessary weapon to prove it. I think the only thing holding Boller back now is the coaching.

I just don't feel Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards are what our team needs. If we trade down and nab Antrel Rolle, I'd be very pleased. But I still think Rogers is the target, and I have to agree that he would be a nice fit.

I think what we need is safe picks. Any pick that poses the risk of a bust is a no no for now.

I'm thinking that the Browns have their eyes on Marcus Spears. A trade down to the 7-10 spot should be a safe place to land him.

I'm thinking Spears on one side, Castillo in the middle NG, and Roye on the other side with Lang coming in at a trimmed down 270lbs. That sound like a solid D line with lots of upside.

Since Crennel likes his linebackers at 250 plus, prefereably in the 260lbs to 270lbs range, there are three DE/LB that I have on my radar that are all late round picks. Bis fast DE's that can play in a 34 at linebacker.

I like David McMillan De From Kansas A fifth rounder.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... illan.html

Brady Poppinga De from BYU A sixth or seventh rounder.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... pinga.html

Khari Long De from Baylor A late rounder.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... ilong.html

Either the Dolphins are bluffing, or they are back in the race for a QB. They are said have their eye on Alex Smith. I think this is meant to scare those teams hoping for a QB to trade up.

I'm thinking the Browns should see if they can't trade down this time around.

Although I like Edwards, I don't know if he outweighs getting additionally 2nd round picks to fill up our LB core, get some decent DEs and a decent backup for our OL.

I think our RB and WR core is definately workable, and not our strongest needs. But I do see it hard to pass up Edwards without some really good picks. As someone wrote recently, if you have Winslow and Edwards opposite sides with Northcut running inbetween, that's gonna be pretty hard to cover....if we can protect Dilfer.

Thinking as I am writing here....we do need a good smashmouth linebacker, particularly in our division. I don't pretend to know the draft well at all (not an NCAA fan much), if there is potential for a bruising LB, we should go. Although, that is one of the hardest places for a rookie to start at and be sucessful.

I really don't like the idea of getting another low pick QB, regardless of potential talent. Have a decent year with Dilfer (which I think he can deliver). After learning the offense we pick up or draft a good QB next year, and then Dilfer will be in an excellent position to mentor, which he sounds like he has pretty much resigned himself to do in the long run.

Actually, it will be hard for Crennel and Savage to draft worse than we have in the last few years. This is probably the most excited I've been since '99, when I bought that #2 Jersey that is now lost somewhere in my closet.

I hope the Browns are keeping an eye on Frank Gore (RB, Miami), who will likely go by the 4rth round. He's had knee problems so he is definitely a gamble. But if he can stay healthy he will eventually show everyone how good he is. He backed up Portis in 2001 and had a 9 ypc average. His first knee injury allowed Willis MaGahee to play in 2002. He's definitely a risk but he definitely has potential to be a big time player if/when healthy.

:) , I love the draft. Its seems like the whole offseason has dragged by up to this point. This past week especially.

So any finally predictions. I kinda hope we stockpile a few picks. We need so much. Overall, I'd love to have a shutdown corner, I'm just not sure that Antrel Rolle is worthy of a #3 nor Pacman Jones. Rolle would be great in the slot and would be a force on inside corner blitzes. I think Phil will do a good job trying to add some picks and fill holes with good players.

However if we don't trade down, and if Rogers is still there, I still think that is who Savage will take.

I think we need D linemen badly, too bad this draft is weak on D linemen. I hope we can get at least one trade down. I also wouldn't mind picking up a Mike Roos as a project L Tackle.

Well, that makes 2 decisions I don't like. Oh well, I'll give Braylon a chance and see what he brings. Onward to the #2.

Edwards was not what I had in mind either, but nobody wanted to offer anything to trade up. He's definitely a high character player.

Savage said that he would have needed someone to throw the house at him as far as picks go to trade the pick. He also said that the only offer they had was at a spot in the top ten that they felt they may have still have been able to land Edwards (5th is my guess), but they didn't offer enough. Now that we have him, it's done. I feel relief that we didn't screw up. When the clock was getting down to under a minute, I was beginning to worry. It's nice to have a staff that knows what they are doing.

Something interesting that Savage said...He stated that only two players would stack up to other drafts in this top five. One was Edwards, the other was Ronnie Brown. Man, Brown looked good, but most running backs have short careers, like five years.

I think if Edwards would have gone to Miami, then we would have taken Ronnie Brown.

One more thing....the last time the Browns won a championship...was the last time we had a #1 receiver. He went by the name of Paul Warfield.

I can live with our pick. Just imagine if Miami had taken Edwards, we would have had another running back.

I'll be curious to see how Ronnie Brown does. He wasn't "thee" guy at Auburn, even though he complimented the Cadillac nicely. Given he's never played a 16 game schedule, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him fade down the stretch next year. BTW, what's the rumor about Reuben walking out of the conditioning program?!?

Also, seeing that Rogers will most likely fall to #24 (unless someone moves up), do you think Savage is trying to work a deal with Seattle (whom he's dealt with in the past) to get him. I wouldn't put it past him, though I don't think we can afford to lose any picks. What do you think?!

Well our day 1 is in the books. What did you think?! I've got to be honest, I'm not all that impressed at this point. The more footage I've seen of Frye the more I'm hoping Luke has made big improvments this offseason. Luke definitely has more arm strength than Frye. I don't want to even consider how bad it could get if Dilfer struggles or gets hurt. Just think, we could have gotten someone like Fiedler or maybe even Vinny if the Cowboys cut him at some point without losing that 4th rounder (Warren trade). I really looks like we could have really used that pick.

The Ravens don't seem to be missing Savage, they are having yet another good draft. All they need to do is find a new head coach.

Luke's gone. Traded to Tampa for a 6th rounder.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_roo ... 213.0.html

John Clayton (ESPN) said we were a winner on draft day.

• Cleveland Browns: New general manager Phil Savage did it the Baltimore way -- he stayed patient and he made solid selections. By being patient, Savage didn't call the Dolphins, who were trying to fleece an extra pick out of them to trade up to No. 2 and take wide receiver Braylon Edwards of Michigan. He didn't rush the selection of quarterback Charlie Frye of Akron and ended up getting one of the steals of the draft in the third round. Brodney Pool was a low first-round talent drafted in the second round at free safety. Savage is changing seven starters on defense, but he knows he can't rush things. Edwards and Frye are the future. Pool will jump in as a starter. It's a great start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/c ... id=2044649

Hey, alright, we got another pick. I figured that it would be Luke that was gone. I was hoping it was Harris.

I'm kind of enjoying this draft. I wished that we could have traded down in the first round, but it wasn't there.

I hear that the Browns were trying to trade up for someone who was drafted in the late teens in the first round, I'm almost positive that it was Pollack.

I see the Browns got one of my guys in David McMillan. I can't believe that GB took Brady Poppinga in the fourth over McMillan. For that matter, I can't believe that Denver took Clarett in the third round.

I expected this draft to look boring. We always went for the big names and ended up with busts. I guess this is what a draft looks like when someone knows what they are doing.

I was surprised that we passed on Khalif Barnes though. Having Baas and even Mankins go in front of him tells me that there was something that the good teams really didn't like about him.

I like the fact that in a draft that many people are reaching, we have had many of our picks fall to us and have taken them well after they were ranked.

Don't worry about the Oklahoma kids, they had an bad coach. He would blitz a lot and leave his safeties to hang all the time. He played them too close to the line, too. Pool is a safety that can play the run well, but has the speed to cover also. He could play corner if we needed him too. In todays football, a safety like Poole is a rare comodity. Maybe not the greatest ever, but can play in many different schemes. His last year the numbers dropped because of a new defensive system. I don't know much about the corner.

Brodney Pool
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... ypool.html

Antonio Perkins
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... rkins.html

Brady Poppinga
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/player ... pinga.html

Back