Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Not finding the joy in my job

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Boidae21

I mean I am happy that I have a job and this is the first job that has given me a chance since Americorps last year, but I am not finding the joy in it.

I work at a theme park in Central Florida as a ride operator. The pay is horrible at $7.75 an hour for as much as we have to do and deal with on a daily basis. We're the lowest paid position in the park.

One of my major problems is that I am a northerner. I can't deal with the Florida heat day in and day out. It truly makes me miserable to be out in it.

Then depending on the ride that you are running, you can come home bruised and in pain from people driving boats. With this ride, there is someone in the water to guide boats in to the "station". You will have your back turned to the oncoming boats to guide a boat in and 9/10 people do not tell you they are coming and just run into you.

Other rides you are in the blazing hot sun your whole shift. I go home physically and mentally drained.

There is no joy in my job, none what so ever.

There is no joy in my job, none what so ever.

I had no idea ride operators were the lowest paid. But I CAN tell you that I am from Michigan and I live in Georgia - it took me ONE summer to adjust to the heat. I'm 52 now, I was 40 back then - and now, I cannot take the cold. (And 'cold' to me is anything under about 65!!!)

I can tell you that I make considerably more money than you do, but for the first time in 30 years in my industry, I almost HATE my job. No joy what so ever except when I travel for the company, which is way too seldom.

What you and I must remember is something a man said to me in 1980, he was my manager at Comcast Cablevision. I liked that job, loved it, but it paid minimum wage (which was $3.75 back then, even tho I got to $5.35 an hour in 9 months, it was still too little money). Anyway, Ron said, "Nothing is forever, Mark".

He was right, within 15 months of hiring in there, I took a job with RCA (They no longer exist) at $8.05 an hour! That's $8 in 1980 - quite good money!

You sound quite young. My advice (from 30 years or so into your future) is to figure out what you LIKE to do. Figure out what interests you - and find a way to kinda "do that" for a living. EVEN if the money is poor at first, don't let it bother you - as you grow, the money will come.

Of course, there are many things that you can do and will like that require formal education My advice there is to spend whatever time you need to, to get that education - and reap the rewards later!

I had no idea ride operators were the lowest paid. But I CAN tell you that I am from Michigan and I live in Georgia - it took me ONE summer to adjust to the heat. I'm 52 now, I was 40 back then - and now, I cannot take the cold. (And 'cold' to me is anything under about 65!!!)

I can tell you that I make considerably more money than you do, but for the first time in 30 years in my industry, I almost HATE my job. No joy what so ever except when I travel for the company, which is way too seldom.

What you and I must remember is something a man said to me in 1980, he was my manager at Comcast Cablevision. I liked that job, loved it, but it paid minimum wage (which was $3.75 back then, even tho I got to $5.35 an hour in 9 months, it was still too little money). Anyway, Ron said, "Nothing is forever, Mark".

He was right, within 15 months of hiring in there, I took a job with RCA (They no longer exist) at $8.05 an hour! That's $8 in 1980 - quite good money!

You sound quite young. My advice (from 30 years or so into your future) is to figure out what you LIKE to do. Figure out what interests you - and find a way to kinda "do that" for a living. EVEN if the money is poor at first, don't let it bother you - as you grow, the money will come.

Of course, there are many things that you can do and will like that require formal education My advice there is to spend whatever time you need to, to get that education - and reap the rewards later!

Thank you for the response.

As far as education goes, the only degrees I would go for require me to have higher than algebra in math, which I could never get past adding and subtracting like denominators. It just doesn't click in my mind and having tutoring didn't help.

...I CAN tell you that I am from Michigan and I live in Georgia - it took me ONE summer to adjust to the heat.
When I moved to Florida from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in '86 it took just days, maybe weeks to adapt to the heat and an outdoor job (making $5 an hour). But don't get me wrong, I hate the heat. I'm back in a cooler climate now and don't expect to ever go back to the stifling heat and humidity of Florida.

I'm 52 now, I was 40 back then - and now, I cannot take the cold. (And 'cold' to me is anything under about 65!!!)
He's not kidding. 65 is a cold spell that frustrates people terribly in the south. It will make the news headlines, lol.

It's true.

Boidae21, let the discomfort you're experiencing now be the driving force that cements your dedication to getting educated or trained in a more pleasant and enjoyable and challenging job.

In the mean time...get a sense of humor and have some fun with it. I'm not big on theme parks, but even I don't like the straight faced, miserable operator of the rides. Trust me on this, seriousness is probably the biggest downer in the work place...any work place. The fun ones make it fun for the rest of us. Talk, make jokes, have fun with the people coming and going in the park.

And remember,"...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV1984)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as education goes, the only degrees I would go for require me to have higher than algebra in math, which I could never get past adding and subtracting like denominators. It just doesn't click in my mind and having tutoring didn't help.
Then start thinking 'training' instead of education.

Your skills--what you can do--are the marketable asset you bring to an employer. You get those skills through education and/or training. Depending on the job, the emphasis will be on one or the other. Learn what jobs emphasize training. As an example, think of a firefighter. He doesn't need to be educated in doing math, but he does have to be well trained in putting out fires and operating heavy equipment. I couldn't possibly qualify to be a firefighter. I have zero marketable skills to bring to that job (I just look like I do, lol)...but I can handle fractions pretty well.

Then start thinking 'training' instead of education.

Your skills--what you can do--are the marketable asset you bring to an employer. You get those skills through education and/or training. Depending on the job, the emphasis will be on one or the other. Learn what jobs emphasize training. As an example, think of a firefighter. He doesn't need to be educated in doing math, but he does have to be well trained in putting out fires and operating heavy equipment. I couldn't possibly qualify to be a firefighter. I have zero marketable skills to bring to that job (I just look like I do, lol)...but I can handle fractions pretty well.

I had the skills that I could use.. being an EMT or doing warehouse work.

Problem is I injured my hand back in 2010 and two surgeries later haven't corrected it to where I have full use of my hand. I don't have the dexterity or lifting strength anymore for working those types of jobs.

Those were my marketable skills.

The only other two interests that I have to work in are Marine Biology and Computer repair.

With marine biology I would need math skills, and I have looked for someplace to train me in computer repair and the only place that I have found is college and the degree (that's all there is) requires calculus.

I have looked into technical schools or career centers in my area and they require at least 11th grade math in order to be able be admitted.

I also wanted to comment on the heat thing. I have been down here since August 2008. I would have thought that I would have acclimated by now, but I haven't. At this point I'm not sure that I will.

I had the skills that I could use.. being an EMT...

Problem is I injured my hand back in 2010 and two surgeries later haven't corrected it to where I have full use of my hand. I don't have the dexterity or lifting strength anymore for working those types of jobs.

Those were my marketable skills.
Be an instructor.

Be an instructor.

I inquired about that. I'm not able to be an instructor. I don't have enough experience to be an instructor is what I was told.

My certification will lapse in a couple months anyway and because I don't have the required CEUs, I will be unable to be re-certified. There is no way to get all the CEUs required in such a short amount of time.

Life isnt always going to be joyful, especially in the workplace. Work is work. Trust that God has a plan for you and he is watching over you. he is seeing to your needs, and he WILL bless you. Be patient and learn all that you can anywhere you can

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back