Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Now praying gets 7 Christians arrested

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

LAW OF THE LAND
Now praying gets 7 Christians arrested
Cops call holding Bibles while lying prostrate 'disturbing peace'
Posted: July 7, 2007

Christians have been arrested recently at "gay" festivals for nothing more than having a protest sign that is "wider than their torso," but now police have gone even further, targeting Bible-carrying ministers for praying on public property and for standing on a public sidewalk near a "gay" festival.

One of the new cases comes from Elmira, N.Y., where police arrested seven Christians who went into a public park where a "gay" fest was beginning and started to pray, faces down, while holding their Bibles.

They were cited for "disturbing the peace," and Assistant Police Chief Mike Robertson told WND that the seven are accused of a "combination" of allegations under that statute, which includes the "intent" to cause a public inconvenience, any "disturbance" of a meeting of persons, obstructing vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or taking part in "any act that serves no legitimate purpose."

Pastor Mark Holick being arrested for being on sidewalk at Wichita "gay" fest

The second such case arose in Wichita, Kan., where police arrested Spirit One Christian Center Pastor Mark Holick, who had received permission earlier from officers to be on the public sidewalk adjacent to the park where the festival was occurring but then was arrested doing exactly that.

Julian Raven, a street preacher, told WND his group of seven assembled to pray for three hours the night before Elmira's recent "pride" festival in promotion of the homosexual lifestyle.

"We have a legal right to be at an event held in a public square. We're not a hate group," he said. "We're Christians and we're going to be there to pray."

He said he contacted police, who told him he had no free speech rights in the public park.

"The female officer, she said, 'You're not going to cross the street. You're not going to enter the park and you're not going to share your religion with anybody in this park,'" he told WND.

"When she said that, for the first time in my life as a Christian, I felt now my freedom of speech is threatened or challenged," he said. "I was being told I could not share my religion with anybody in that park."

Raven said he told the officer "she was violating the Constitution that she had sworn to uphold, and she was very agitated and adamant, and couldn't look me straight in the eye."

Raven asked for the justification for such a threat and was not given a response.

He said his team of Christians then went into the park, holding Bibles over their heads to signify their subservience to God's Word, and lay on their faces to pray.

Within three minutes, police officers had put handcuffs on the seven, to the cheers of the homosexual crowd, he said.

He said a court date is pending for the seven July 23.

"I have the highest respect for the police officers. They have a very difficult job to do. But we were treated unfairly in a public setting. This was a hasty show of force. It was not called for," he said.

He said if the situation is left unchallenged, the city of Elmira will be in the position of being able to control the content of people's messages in a lawful assembly – or even thoughts if they are nearby.

"We didn't say boo to a goose, still we were arrested," he said.

The local newspaper reported the arrests came just "moments" after Elmira Mayor John Tonello delivered a speech "celebrating diversity."

And the actions prompted some immediate criticism from newspaper readers.

"I was appalled and disgusted by the gay stories strewn through the … paper. … What was even more disturbing was the way the city acted. Since when is it illegal to sit on the ground in a public park and recite Bible verses? Are they not protected by the same Constitution that allows gay people to have their gay pride event. These Bible thumpers had their constitutional right to free speech and assembly trampled on by the city. They should not have been arrested," said Kevin Raznoff.

Robertson told WND the Christians "certainly" have a right to assemble, but not on public property when there's an "organized" event there. Asked repeatedly about how the "disturbance" statute relates to First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech, he did not answer.

"Obviously, they caused a disruption to an event that was taking place," he said.

But Raven confirmed to WND the seven Christians did not approach a single person, did not speak to anyone and did not even make any audible statements until after they were arrested.

Pastor Holick's case in Wichita was even more drastic. He had gone, with a team from his church, to pass out flyers and pray at a recent "pride" festival held there.

He had checked with the police department and was told, "The sidewalk is your friend."

"Upon arriving we began to set up," he said. "Immediately, I was approached by WPD and told that we could not go into the park (a public park mind you where everyone else – except the Christians – was allowed in) and that we could not be on the sidewalk on that side of the street but that we could go to the other side of the street.

"In other words, one side of the street is open to Christians but the public park and the public sidewalk next to the park is not," he said.

But then Holick was arrested within about four minutes of his arrival.

"It is obvious that the WPD did not keep their word and that they wanted to arrest as quickly as possible. The First Amendment … was cast aside like so much garbage," he said.

"The sin is 'coming out' further and further and the church is now being pushed further and further back inside the four walls of the church building; we are the ones that are seen as 'the trouble makers.' The police arrest the Christians and allow all manner of perversion to flaunt itself in the streets of Wichita. And we the church … well … I'm not sure we care," he said.

Police alleged that they asked Holick five times to "leave" the festival, even though he never purchased the required admission fee or went in.

As WND reported , Holick already had been targeted by the Internal Revenue Service for the moral statements he posted on the church's sign.

The notice he got from the IRS warned him about putting his Christian beliefs on the sign, and he responded that he would continue to preach the Word of God.

Just a week earlier, WND reported police in St. Petersburg, Fla., arrested five Christians for carrying signs "wider than their torsos" outside an officially designated protest area at that city's homosexual festival.

Pastor Billy Ball, Assistant Pastor Doug Pitts, Frankie Primavera and Josh Pettigrew, all of Faith Baptist Church in Primrose, Ga., were arrested after leaving a small area set aside by city officials for protest activities. Bill Holt, of Lighthouse Baptist Church in Jefferson, Ga., was also taken into custody.

According to Lighthouse Pastor Kevin Whitman, the five men were told by police their signs were not allowed outside the protest area because they were wider than their torsos. When the men refused to put them away, they were arrested for violating a controversial city ordinance that governs permitted events.

As WND reported, St. Petersburg officials, following disturbances at a previous homosexual pride festival, implemented rules governing outdoor events that set aside "free speech zones," where protesters are allowed.

The resulting ordinance came under fire by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Alliance Defense Fund for being too broad. It allows the city to create prior restraints of speech on an event-by-event basis, with virtually no predictable limits. It also criminalizes certain free speech behavior around public events and authorizes the police to enforce breaches of permits – the penalty for such breaches being arrest.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=56544

I Love this scripture.... "We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; We are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed! Always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, That the Life of Jesus also may be manifest in our body. For we who Live are always delivered to death for Jesus' sake, That the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our Mortal flesh. (2Corin.4:8-11) Sooo true! :wink:

That has always been one of my favorite Scriptures, I like the King James version the best.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (King James Version

8We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

Silly christians. Should have just prayed to not be disturbed and arrested. :smt045

Christians, as anyone else, should not have their right to free speech violated.

But my dark side says no one should come to the aid of these christians because christians most often do not aid those non-christians whose rights are violated. :robot:
This should be a lesson to christians...freedom for all.

Featherbop said:
Silly christians. Should have just prayed to not be disturbed and arrested. :smt045

Christians, as anyone else, should not have their right to free speech violated.

But my dark side says no one should come to the aid of these christians because christians most often do not aid those non-christians whose rights are violated. :robot:

Really? Who has the major supporters of anti-slavery leglislation?

But my dark side says no one should come to the aid of these christians because christians most often do not aid those non-christians whose rights are violated. #Robot
HUH

Lewis W said:

Just my dark side of thinking. Of course I don't think any person's freedom to speech and peaceful assembly should be infringed. I was just hoping in a strange way that christians with entitlement mentality might learn a lesson of why it is important to protect freedom for all people.

But I think it would have the opposite effect. Not that it matters anyway. I can see christians predictably favoring christian assembly and protest, but I have a hard time picturing christians being okay with the same thing-if it were reversed. If christians were holding a rally with an anti-homosexual message, how kindly would they take to homosexual protesters. I think they wouldn't.

But this could all have been prevented with common courtesy. So, if the christians hadn't felt the need for this self-righteous display, they could've just held their own rally instead later on.

Featherbop said:
Just my dark side of thinking. Of course I don't think any person's freedom to speech and peaceful assembly should be infringed. I was just hoping in a strange way that christians with entitlement mentality might learn a lesson of why it is important to protect freedom for all people.

But I think it would have the opposite effect. Not that it matters anyway. I can see christians predictably favoring christian assembly and protest, but I have a hard time picturing christians being okay with the same thing-if it were reversed. If christians were holding a rally with an anti-homosexual message, how kindly would they take to homosexual protesters. I think they wouldn't.

But this could all have been prevented with common courtesy. So, if the christians hadn't felt the need for this self-righteous display, they could've just held their own rally instead later on.

First - I doubt that many local muncipalities would grant an 'anti-gay lifestyle" rally for fear of the backlash from a very vocal minority of people who choose their lifestyle.

Secondly - Why is it that you believe that the Christians were displaying "self-rightous' behavior?

Thirdly - is it okay for the gay community to present their 'beliefs and actions' - but noone else?

First - I doubt that many local muncipalities would grant an 'anti-gay lifestyle" rally for fear of the backlash from a very vocal minority of people who choose their lifestyle.

Christians have more vocal power, and are extremely overrespresented in the U.S. I don't see how a relatively small group is going to outdo them.

If christians were prevented from peaceful protest/assembly, they should take it to the courts. The ACLU might even step in.

Secondly - Why is it that you believe that the Christians were displaying "self-rightous' behavior?

They just had to make *rear ends* of themselves by making a big show of it, doing this in public, when they could have just prayed at home. If all they wanted to do was pray, then they should've had the common sense to stay home and pray. Instead, the lay face first on the ground, do public praying, and make fools of themselves. I don't think their intentions were entirely peaceful because of that. This was a good setup for heckling others.

Thirdly - is it okay for the gay community to present their 'beliefs and actions' - but noone else?

Of course not.

Regardless if they should have stayed home or not to pray - I fail to see how their praying was "disturbing the peace".

This just goes to show you how far down this country has went. This country was built on Biblical principles. On the news last night somewhere in Pennsylvania a town told a church that they cannot house a few homeless women. I forgot which town it was. But do you see what is going on here ? This is crazy' to tell a church that. And guess what the church had to put them out.

Perhaps it was felt that they were staging a counter-demonstration? I don't know...I'm just trying to understand all sides of the issue here...

If they were, they might have needed a permit and hence could be detained. Sounds stupid, but that might be the justification...and the 7 people probably WERE there to demonstrate after all...

Featherbop said:
Of course not.
So than do you also have a problem with Christians going out to all the world and preaching the Gospel to those that are lost? People don't like that either, so are we than just making *Rear ends* of ourselves in this case?? :-?

sisterchristian said:
So than do you also have a problem with Christians going out to all the world and preaching the Gospel to those that are lost? People don't like that either, so are we than just making *Rear ends* of ourselves in this case?? :-?
That definitely depends on how the Word is preached, IMHO...

Heavenbound983 said:
That definitely depends on how the Word is preached, IMHO...
You do know that people are dying all around us without the Lord, and you sit there saying "it depends on how it is being preached" well as long as it's from the word of God and not some false doctrine, than I say if it takes the "fire and brimstone" approach well than so be it because it takes different ways for different people. I personally came out of a fire and brimstone church, but that's what I needed at the time, now I'm in a Grace church which was really a change for me but that's where God has me now. I have family members that are drug users, and Gang bangers, and sometimes that is the only way to get through to those kind of people IMHO! At least these people are making an effort to get the Gospel out there!

sisterchristian said:
You do know that people are dying all around us without the Lord, and you sit there saying "it depends on how it is being preached" well as long as it's from the word of God and not some false doctrine, than I say if it takes the "fire and brimstone" approach well than so be it because it takes different ways for different people. I personally came out of a fire and brimstone church, but that's what I needed at the time, now I'm in a Grace church which was really a change for me but that's where God has me now. I have family members that are drug users, and Gang bangers, and sometimes that is the only way to get through to those kind of people IMHO! At least these people are making an effort to get the Gospel out there!

Cool...I'm just 'sitting here'... :o

I truly don't know how you became so irate over a single sentence, but it does depend on how you preach. I've seen many preachers do more harm to the cause than good, due to their style and lack of understanding of their audience.

I guess it must be true, then, that if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I might be just a rookie here, but come on...chill out. :-?

Heavenbound983 said:
Cool...I'm just 'sitting here'... :o

I truly don't know how you became so irate over a single sentence, but it does depend on how you preach. I've seen many preachers do more harm to the cause than good, due to their style and lack of understanding of their audience.

I guess it must be true, then, that if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I might be just a rookie here, but come on...chill out. :-?
Why do you think I'm getting irate? I'm not even using caps. I'm just trying to say that there are different approaches for different people. If someone doesn't agree with the style that the preacher teaches well than maybe that isn't the church for them.

ot.gif

Lets stay on topic, folks. 8-)

sisterchristian said:

No, they can do as they please, as long as they do not violate the rights of others. Same for anyone who preaches, be it muslims, christians, satanists.
They can heckle others to an extent, but not harass or assault. This goes for all people, so I'll heckle you if you heckle me.

And in my opinion, christians often do often make themselves look silly by the manner in which they conduct themselves. Often it is absurd(hell preaching), other times rude(heckling, street preaching), and sometimes stupid(like the christians in the article making a public spectacle of praying when they could have just done it from home or church. Or is praying against homosexuals only effective at homosexual rallies? :lol: )

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back