Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Obedience

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Good morning Brother Daniel L Newhouse. I would ask if you're speaking of keeping rules to become saved, following to have God's best, or doing works of righteousness because you just love Him and our brethren?
In Christ you have been received, and have God's own own eternal life bestowed upon you everlasting.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

What can or should you do now? How about growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord? 2 Pet 3:18.
There are three stages in the growth of a Christian as we read of in Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that GOOD, and ACCEPTABLE, and PERFECT, will of God.
There are different references of that growth we see in 1Jn 2:13 I write unto you, FATHERS, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, YOUNG MEN, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, LITTLE CHILDREN, because ye have known the Father.

I'd be glad to go further into this if you want to such as those qualifying to be in the Bride of Christ versus the great multitude tribulation saints. I.e., Rev 19:7-8.
Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness (Acts of righteousness) of saints.

The entire body of Christ is one, but you'll find manners in our walk in the Spirit as shown below, and go with what we read of in
1 Cor 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

I think a Christian's obedience improves as sanctification continues. I'm not saying its good to bend and/or break rules, I'm just saying that these things take time.

And yet...obedience is better than sacrifice.

What is the role of obedience in a Christian's life?

The entire body of Christ is one, but you'll find manners in our walk in the Spirit as shown below, and go with what we read of in
1 Cor 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

Eugene answered this. It's summed up namely saying Walk in the Light given according to the Word and Revelation you have. Never violate you conscience, never do anything questioning, for that is not faith, but sin. Seek the will of God, be where your suppose to be, at the Church your suppose to be connected to. For there is your growth, and plan.

If you do these simple things, you shall never fail, and be pleasing to God in all things.

Mike.

Sin is rebellion against God. And rebellion is knowing and not doing what the God has told us. And the opposite of not doing what God has told us is obedience. So what we do is either rebellious or obedience.

Yet if we don't listen to God when He speaks to us, we are still responsible for acting according to what He told us, even if we closed our ears to Him. So contrary to popular belief, the greatest commandment from God is "Hear O Israel", not "You shall love the Lord your God..." "You shall love the Lord your God" is the greatest commandment in the law, but "Hear O Israel" is the commandment which causes us to fulfill the greatest commandment..

This is why Isaiah wrote, " For the is a rebellious people, false sons, Sons who refuse to listen to the instruction of the Lord;"

I see many "Christians" who do not believe they are rebellious and think they are obedient to God, but do not listen to the Great I am. So it is that obedience to God requires leaving your spiritual ears open to hear what the Lord has to say to you through out the day. We read that we are to pray unceasingly, and should know the prayer is communion as in having a conversation back and forth with God not just a one side complaint and request session with God.

Still I have met many Christians even pastors that do not listen to the Lord and think they are obedient to God. I met a pastor that told me he had only heard the Lord's small voice twice in his entire life. But Jesus said He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door He will come into them... So the pastor was not opening the door and was indeed living a life of rebellion, not obedience.

Never-the-less, God has patience and understands that only He is good. So He forgives us and prayed that we would be forgiven because we didn't know what we were doing. And what people did was kill the One whose name is called the Word of God because He has and owns the words of God, which the Holy Spirit get from our Lord and gives to us. That is to say we kill the Word of God and are partakers in putting Him, The Word of God, on the cross when we don't listen to Him everyday.

In other words, we are obedient when we open our spiritual ears listen to what the Lord says to us through out the day, and we are rebellious when we don't, which is what we normally do. But God is His greatness forgives us and only asks the we believe in Him to be saved. Yet faith comes by hearing. Maybe not all the time, because we are men of little faith, meaning we only hear from Him a little. Still even being a pastor that only has heard from the Lord twice is a man of faith, though only of very little faith. It's a good thing we only need a little faith to move that mountain where the Father said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him.

PS. If there are any reading this and still thinking that "You shall love the Lord your God..." is the greatest command and don't understand that while it is the greatest command in the Law, the greatest command is "Hear, O Israel" because that command was before the law and is the command which enables you to fulfill the law, please note the verse below.

Mark 12:28,29 ... "What commandment is the foremost of all?" Jesus answered, "The foremost is, HEAR, O ISRAEL!...

So and if you hear you will find out that God (Father, Son, and Spirit) are one, so Jesus continued "...THE LORD OUT GOD IS ONE LORD;..."

And as you continue to hear and follow the foremost command you will begin to love the Lord with all your heart, so Jesus continued, "...AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART....."

You will note the "YOU SHALL..." So the conclusion that comes from listening to Him is that you shall love Him. So how much love does the pastor that has only opened His ears to the Lord have for the Lord? Is he being a pastor because he is glorified or so that the Lord is being glorified, since he is not even regularly listening to the One he calls Lord.

How obedient are we if we don't practice hearing from the Lord, who said He would never leave us?

Last edited:
What is the role of obedience in a Christian's life?
It is inseparable from the role of belief.
Someone who says he believes but does not obey is revealed by his actions to be either uninformed or a fraud.
What possible excuse could anyone have for not obeying God in whom he says he believes? :confused

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

It is inseparable from the role of belief.
Someone who says he believes but does not obey is revealed by his actions to be either uninformed or a fraud.
What possible excuse could anyone have for not obeying God in whom he says he believes? :confused

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Yeah, we should obey, but we are people. And God uses the foolish things of this world. Face it, we don't always obey, even though we know we should. And we don't always seek Him to hear what He has to say so that we can obey. But we should. At least we should try, or at least we should want to try. It's a good thing we aren't saved because we have faithfully obeyed God but rather because we have faith, meaning we do believe God is with us, even if we get side tracked and do foolish things.

1 John 5:2-4 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

It is in our nature now to be obedient.

Yeah, we should obey, but we are people. And God uses the foolish things of this world. Face it, we don't always obey, even though we know we should. And we don't always seek Him to hear what He has to say so that we can obey. But we should. At least we should try, or at least we should want to try.
That's what confession and repentance is for.
It's a good thing we aren't saved because we have faithfully obeyed God but rather because we have faith, meaning we do believe God is with us, even if we get side tracked and do foolish things.
No one is saved by faith alone. (James 2:24)
Faith without works is dead and cannot save anyone. (James 2:17, 20, 26)
The fact that we fail to be perfect is not an excuse not to strive for perfection. We were created to do good works which God personally prepared for each of us to do. (Eph 2:10) What possible reason could anyone have to say that they're not important?
How important is the faithfulness that demonstrates one's faith?
At the resurrection, you will be judged by your works.

Jesus said: John 5:28-29 (NKJV)… the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

Paul said: Ro 6:2-10 (NKJV) (God) will render to each one according to his deeds; eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Jesus said: Mat 25:31-46 (NKJV) When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, “Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.

Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, “Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?”

And the King will answer and say to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.”

Then He will also say to those on the left hand, “Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.”

Then they also will answer Him, saying, “Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?”

Then He will answer them, saying, “Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.”

And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Notice that there is not one single mention of having "faith."

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

After some thought I do not think the notion of obedience exists for a Christian. For a Christian, there is only freedom to serve Jesus Christ. The muslims call this submission to the will of God. If you try to say that freedom means anything other than the freedom to serve Jesus Christ, you get a society that is a self parody of violent crime and false incarceration. There is no worse society than has ever existed than the United States of America. There is only one good city, Los Angeles, the city of angels that works something as the founding forefathers promised: 3 international airports and a fleet of buses, limousines, shuttles, taxis, and private cars going to and fro every day. The great cities of Massachusetts, once the wealthiest place in the world, are in decline.
There is only one society on earth that is close to godly, Switzerland. Just look at the Wikipedia to see the murder rate and the incarceration rate.

After some thought I do not think the notion of obedience exists for a Christian. For a Christian, there is only freedom to serve Jesus Christ.
Obedience to Christ is total freedom.
There is only one good city, Los Angeles, the city of angels
In 2016: "According to the Los Angeles Times, LAPD Asst. Chief Earl Paysinger told police commissioners that the city has suffered from a 12.7% increase in violent crime, with double-digit increases in aggravated assaults and robberies added to the skyrocketing murder rate." http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/03/09/murder-up-27-5-in-la-in-2016/
The only truly good city is yet to come; the New Jerusalem. (Rev 21:2)
There is only one society on earth that is close to godly, Switzerland.
Ah yes. The Swiss, who finance all sides of every war for the past several centuries and provide secret bank accounts for all the tyrants, drug lords, and ultra-rich criminals.

IMHO, There will be no Godly city anywhere on earth before Jesus returns.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

Sin is rebellion against God. And rebellion is knowing and not doing what the God has told us. And the opposite of not doing what God has told us is obedience. So what we do is either rebellious or obedience.

Yet if we don't listen to God when He speaks to us, we are still responsible for acting according to what He told us, even if we closed our ears to Him. So contrary to popular belief, the greatest commandment from God is "Hear O Israel", not "You shall love the Lord your God..." "You shall love the Lord your God" is the greatest commandment in the law, but "Hear O Israel" is the commandment which causes us to fulfill the greatest commandment..

This is why Isaiah wrote, " For the is a rebellious people, false sons, Sons who refuse to listen to the instruction of the Lord;"

I see many "Christians" who do not believe they are rebellious and think they are obedient to God, but do not listen to the Great I am. So it is that obedience to God requires leaving your spiritual ears open to hear what the Lord has to say to you through out the day. We read that we are to pray unceasingly, and should know the prayer is communion as in having a conversation back and forth with God not just a one side complaint and request session with God.

Still I have met many Christians even pastors that do not listen to the Lord and think they are obedient to God. I met a pastor that told me he had only heard the Lord's small voice twice in his entire life. But Jesus said He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door He will come into them... So the pastor was not opening the door and was indeed living a life of rebellion, not obedience.

Never-the-less, God has patience and understands that only He is good. So He forgives us and prayed that we would be forgiven because we didn't know what we were doing. And what people did was kill the One whose name is called the Word of God because He has and owns the words of God, which the Holy Spirit get from our Lord and gives to us. That is to say we kill the Word of God and are partakers in putting Him, The Word of God, on the cross when we don't listen to Him everyday.

In other words, we are obedient when we open our spiritual ears listen to what the Lord says to us through out the day, and we are rebellious when we don't, which is what we normally do. But God is His greatness forgives us and only asks the we believe in Him to be saved. Yet faith comes by hearing. Maybe not all the time, because we are men of little faith, meaning we only hear from Him a little. Still even being a pastor that only has heard from the Lord twice is a man of faith, though only of very little faith. It's a good thing we only need a little faith to move that mountain where the Father said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him.

PS. If there are any reading this and still thinking that "You shall love the Lord your God..." is the greatest command and don't understand that while it is the greatest command in the Law, the greatest command is "Hear, O Israel" because that command was before the law and is the command which enables you to fulfill the law, please note the verse below.

Mark 12:28,29 ... "What commandment is the foremost of all?" Jesus answered, "The foremost is, HEAR, O ISRAEL!...

So and if you hear you will find out that God (Father, Son, and Spirit) are one, so Jesus continued "...THE LORD OUT GOD IS ONE LORD;..."

And as you continue to hear and follow the foremost command you will begin to love the Lord with all your heart, so Jesus continued, "...AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART....."

You will note the "YOU SHALL..." So the conclusion that comes from listening to Him is that you shall love Him. So how much love does the pastor that has only opened His ears to the Lord have for the Lord? Is he being a pastor because he is glorified or so that the Lord is being glorified, since he is not even regularly listening to the One he calls Lord.

How obedient are we if we don't practice hearing from the Lord, who said He would never leave us?
K2Christ,
If you are a Pastor or even just a Sunday School Teacher, I hate that only statement, but I would seat myself under you. I read my scriptures and I pray, then I hear from the Father. Sometimes, directly, I like to say, from the scriptures, I know it is the Spirit interpreting what I need, sometimes I just need correction and I know it is not just my concious and then there are times I cannot get out of my bed, particularly in the dark after midnight and I close my eyes to pray or I have just finished praying for some action for someone in need of God's touch, and with everyone in bed, even the dogs and there is that mysterious touch of my pillow. I know it is God and I know some call me delusional, but best of all, I know because I have placed my faith in Jesus to be my mediator. Timely Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
K32Christ,
If you are a Pastor or even just a Sunday School Teacher, I hate that only statement, but I would seat myself under you. I read my scriptures and I pray, then I hear from the Father. Sometimes, directly, I like to say, from the scriptures, I know it is the Spirit interpreting what I need, sometimes I just need correction and I know it is not just my concious and then there are times I cannot get out of my bed, particularly in the dark after midnight and I close my eyes to pray or I have just finished praying for some action for someone in need of God's touch, and with everyone in bed, even the dogs and there is that mysterious touch of my pillow. I know it is God and I know some call me delusional, but best of all, I know because I have placed my faith in Jesus to be my mediator. Timely Post.

I'm neither and if you think I want anyone seated under me, you have missed my whole point. I am not trying to make disciples for myself, I am trying to make disciples for Jesus Christ!! That why I point people to Him and advised people to listen to Him.

I know God can and does use people to help others, even in getting across teachings. But we truly have only one Teacher and that is the Lord! So should we be seeking His voice and instructions. And if there is a pastor or Sunday School Teacher, don't we also need to take what they say to the TEACHER? They don't always get everything right, but He does.

Now God uses the Scriptures too. I would certainly think that you do indeed sometimes know it is the Spirit of God interpreting what you need. Of course then you must know that He is not the Scriptures but the one interpreting, just like you wrote. People need to know that this becomes all the more clear when we practice listening with our spiritual ears more and more.

So you have it exactly right when you write, "I read my scriptures and I pray, then I hear from the Father!" And the Father does like to review the Scriptures with us, but is not limited to that. And from what I read you are not delusional, but sensitive to the Lord because of your faith.

No one is saved by faith alone. (James 2:24)
Faith without works is dead and cannot save anyone. (James 2:17, 20, 26)
The fact that we fail to be perfect is not an excuse not to strive for perfection. We were created to do good works which God personally prepared for each of us to do. (Eph 2:10) What possible reason could anyone have to say that they're not important?
How important is the faithfulness that demonstrates one's faith?
At the resurrection, you will be judged by your works.

We are saved by faith, but what type of faith? James writes "Can that faith save him?" (James 2:14). He not saying that we are not saved faith, but is pointing out that we are save by a type of faith the results in obedience and thus works according to what we hear.

If we do listen to the Lord, He is going to tell us to do things. That is why He is called "Lord", because He gives us instructions, and personal instructions. If we do really believe He is Lord, so that we honestly confess and not just say He is Lord, we are both going to seek His voice and are going to do what He tells us, because He is our Lord and God. That does mean we are going to do it perfectly, but He knows us and how we mess things up, so the doing it perfects our faith, even if it is not perfect.

For example, If He asks me to make a post, I am going to make some effort to do it, because I believe it was my Lord and God that told me to do it. I could still get sidetracked on the way, because I am still human and can get sidetracked. And because I am poor in my language skills, I am also going to make mistake while doing it. So hearing from Him didn't make me perfect, but hearing Him does result is works. And because He is God and knows how I get sidetracked, and how I have poor language skills He knows what is going to happen when He tells me. So may faith results in exactly what He intended. But if I don't have the faith to seek Him and believe it is Him who talks to me, then will that type of faith save me? No.

So I am saved by faith, but a type of faith that results in some type of work and effort that is according to what I hear when I seek Him. It is not works of the Law, but works based upon hearing from Him.

We are saved by faith, but what type of faith? James writes "Can that faith save him?" (James 2:14). He not saying that we are not saved faith, but is pointing out that we are save by a type of faith the results in obedience and thus works according to what we hear.
What James specifically said is: (Jas 2:24 NKJV) "You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only."
He asked (and the form of the question suggests he is expecting a "no" answer) (Jas 2:14) What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? (Answer: "no")
Then he gives examples of how works and faith go together.
Having faith without works is like having eyesight without eyes. It's not happening.
If we do really believe He is Lord, so that we honestly confess and not just say He is Lord, we are both going to seek His voice and are going to do what He tells us, because He is our Lord and God.
The is essentially what Jesus taught when he asked at Luke 6:46 (NKJV) “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say?" and (Jhn 14:23) “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

Essentially, anyone who says he believes and does not strive to do as scripture teaches does not actually believe. Those who can say, "I believe" without doing as Jesus commands are those who have "no fear of God before their eyes.” (Rom 3:18)
And, no, it does not mean that we have to be perfect. It means that we strive to be perfect and confess when we fail.
YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART....
Mat 22:39 “And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself"
That requires that we take action as described in the parable of the "Good Samaritan" found at Luke 10:29-37 which ends with the words, “Go and do likewise.” (Go and do the kind of works that the Samaritan did.)
So I am saved by faith, but a type of faith that results in some type of work and effort that is according to what I hear when I seek Him. It is not works of the Law, but works based upon hearing from Him.
Right. It takes our effort to do them because they are not automatic and they are not the works of the Law but, rather, works of mercy. It is so important to Jesus that he went to some length to teach that, when HE comes again to judge the living and the dead, He will judge according to whether we did or did not do works of mercy.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

Essentially, anyone who says he believes and does not strive to do as scripture teaches does not actually believe

(Jhn 14:23) “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word

I agree with most of what you said, but check out the above conclusion you made. According to the writing in the Scriptures you quoted is it at the Scriptures teaches or as the Lord says.

at Luke 6:46 (NKJV) “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say?"

It clearly is written "which I say." The Scriptures have what God said but He still says. The Scriptures do give us a good idea what God might tell us, but I have not yet heard Him tell me to part the Red Sea or use a staff for anything. I don't even own a staff. You conclusion results in a person reading the Scriptures and depending on their understanding of the Scriptures (the record) instead of seeking the Lord Jesus Christ (the person) for what He says.

Now the Lord once told me to open and Christian Bookstore, but I don't see where He told anyone in the Scriptures to do that. So should I have told Him to get lost, because the was not in the Scriptures. So what about the Scriptures. Well we see in the Scriptures that the Scriptures are good for study and reproof. And we also see, Gal 3:22 but the Scriptures has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those that believe.

So are we really going to go back to trying to get people to lean on their understanding of the Scriptures when they can now hear from Jesus Christ by faith?

James was not talking about following the Scriptures by doing what the Scriptures said, but rather He was talking about hearing the Lord and doing what He says to them. And that is exactly what Jesus said also. Our faith is not in the Scriptures but in Jesus Christ. Of course that is clearly stated in the Scriptures, but people are replacing Jesus Christ with the Scriptures, and that just separates us from the Jesus Christ

Gal 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law

We are saved by faith and that faith results in us doing the things and works that the Lord personally tells us to do. And while the Scriptures do explain all this we are not following the Scriptures!! I would not suggest to anyone that they should try a part the Red Sea or strike a rock thinking water is going to come out of it, unless you hear the Lord tell you to do it. However I would suggest that everyone seeks the voice of the Lord, just in case He wants another Christian bookstore opened somewhere. That's not in the Bible, but I testify that He does tell people to do things like that at times.

I'm neither and if you think I want anyone seated under me, you have missed my whole point. I am not trying to make disciples for myself, I am trying to make disciples for Jesus Christ!! That why I point people to Him and advised people to listen to Him.
I will appoligise but you came off with this from the wrong foot, entirely. I have been pushed to learn much about God by some great Preachers and Teachers. I was not trying to inflate nor to tick you off. The summary of my post will be, "You are a great follower of the Christ." I'll try hard to ignore you now.

According to the writing in the Scriptures you quoted is it at the Scriptures teaches or as the Lord says.
The most reliable source we have is as the scriptures teach.
If someone gets a "word from the Lord" then we are supposed to make sure it matches with scripture. Paul told us "Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said." (1 Cor 14:29 NIV) And John told us "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." (1 John 4:1 NKJV)
It clearly is written "which I say." The Scriptures have what God said but He still says. The Scriptures do give us a good idea what God might tell us, but I have not yet heard Him tell me to part the Red Sea or use a staff for anything. I don't even own a staff.
The scriptures say "which I say" because they record the words of Jesus as He said them.
You conclusion results in a person reading the Scriptures and depending on their understanding of the Scriptures (the record) instead of seeking the Lord Jesus Christ (the person) for what He says.
We know for certain what the scriptures say.
We don't know for certain that something any specific person claims to have "herd from the Lord" has any validity or not.
A good example of bad hearing from God is the people at the Westboro Baptist Church who think that God has told them that He "hates f##s" so they go to soldiers funerals and hold up signs saying things like, "We're glad you got killed." because they think the soldiers were fighting for "gay rights" or something. That's an extreme example but it is what can happen. The scriptures say that God loves the world (John 3:16) even though we are sinners.

Yes, we do hear from God. We should ask God for His guidance. We should do that AFTER we have read the scriptures and then, when we have heard from God, we should check what we heard against the scriptures to make sure it was God and not our imaginations.
Now the Lord once told me to open and Christian Bookstore, but I don't see where He told anyone in the Scriptures to do that.
That's because there was no such thing as "Christian books" at that time and books were too expensive for the average person to own even one. It wasn't until the 1500's when Gutenberg invented moveable type for printing presses that the cost of books came down far enough for the average person to own a copy of the Bible. The books, at the time of Jesus, were all hand written, one at a time. How long do you think it would take you to write the Bi9ble out by hand? If that was how you made your living, how much would you charge for a copy of your Bible? $20,000? That's what it would be worth if you consider the cost of your labor.
So, no, there were no Christian bookstores at the time of Christ. That is a modern invention.
So are we really going to go back to trying to get people to lean on their understanding of the Scriptures when they can now hear from Jesus Christ by faith?
The scriptures are a sure foundation.
What any individual may think he hears from God can be total garbage ESPECIALLY if he does not know the scriptures.
Cults are regularly founded on what their "prophet" heard "from God". That's where we got the Mormons and the JWs and the Moonies and the People's Temple etc....
What does the scripture say?
Act 17:11(NIV) "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."
We should do the same thing; examine the scriptures to see if what we heard is true.
We also have people who dedicate their lives to the study of scripture so that they can teach it. We have had such people since the start of the church and they have written extensively explaining the meaning of the scriptures.
So, no, the average person, with no training and a fourth grade reading and comprehension level need not "lean on their own understanding." They can go to your Christian book store and buy a commentary on any book of the Bible and get a good explanation of what the scriptures are saying.
They can go to their pastor who (hopefully) is trained to understand and explain the Scriptures.

But I have very little confidence in what random people say God has told them.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

If someone gets a "word from the Lord" then we are supposed to make sure it matches with scripture. Paul told us "Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said." (1 Cor 14:29 NIV) And John told us "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." (1 John 4:1 NKJV)

The scriptures say "which I say" because they record the words of Jesus as He said them.

We know for certain what the scriptures say.
We don't know for certain that something any specific person claims to have "herd from the Lord" has any validity or not.
A good example of bad hearing from God is the people at the Westboro Baptist Church who think that God has told them that He "hates f##s" so they go to soldiers funerals and hold up signs saying things like, "We're glad you got killed." because they think the soldiers were fighting for "gay rights" or something. That's an extreme example but it is what can happen. The scriptures say that God loves the world (John 3:16) even though we are sinners.

Yes, we do hear from God. We should ask God for His guidance. We should do that AFTER we have read the scriptures and then, when we have heard from God, we should check what we heard against the scriptures to make sure it was God and not our imaginations.

That's because there was no such thing as "Christian books" at that time and books were too expensive for the average person to own even one. It wasn't until the 1500's when Gutenberg invented moveable type for printing presses that the cost of books came down far enough for the average person to own a copy of the Bible. The books, at the time of Jesus, were all hand written, one at a time. How long do you think it would take you to write the Bi9ble out by hand? If that was how you made your living, how much would you charge for a copy of your Bible? $20,000? That's what it would be worth if you consider the cost of your labor.
So, no, there were no Christian bookstores at the time of Christ. That is a modern invention.

The scriptures are a sure foundation.
What any individual may think he hears from God can be total garbage ESPECIALLY if he does not know the scriptures.
Cults are regularly founded on what their "prophet" heard "from God". That's where we got the Mormons and the JWs and the Moonies and the People's Temple etc....
What does the scripture say?
Act 17:11(NIV) "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."
We should do the same thing; examine the scriptures to see if what we heard is true.
We also have people who dedicate their lives to the study of scripture so that they can teach it. We have had such people since the start of the church and they have written extensively explaining the meaning of the scriptures.
So, no, the average person, with no training and a fourth grade reading and comprehension level need not "lean on their own understanding." They can go to your Christian book store and buy a commentary on any book of the Bible and get a good explanation of what the scriptures are saying.
They can go to their pastor who (hopefully) is trained to understand and explain the Scriptures.

But I have very little confidence in what random people say God has told them.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

Amen! And anyone that interprets the meaning of the Living Word is aq fool, the Word,l when indwelt with the Holy Spirit becomes self interpreting, and any message from any spirit that disagrees with the Book God left us, the Final Court of Arbitration, is a lie!

"If" someone gets a word from the Lord?????

His sheep hear His voice, so what is with the "If"??

And is it "as the scriptures teach? or "Two or three prophets" like the scriptures teach??

If someone is saying "If someone gets a word" if become evident that they are not one of the two or three prophets! Prophets understand that the Lord speaks, and so prophets understand clearly that His sheep hear His voice. So yeah, the scriptures do give us a good source to see that we should not be saying "If" someone gets a word. People do get words from the Lord. He said He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice.

And did we miss that 1 Jn 4:1 is a way to test the "spirits"!!! To use that test you have to hear with your spiritual ears!! So a person going "If" is not testing the spirits!!

So again the Scriptures are correct and we should use the test recorded in the Scriptures, but that test means hearing what is being said to you personally and not what was written in the Scriptures. Yeah, the Scriptures tell you Jesus came in the flesh, but the Scriptures are writing and not a spirit. So thinking that you know the Spirit of God because you read the Scriptures is wrong. The Pharisees did that and Jesus told them they did not hear His words.

Back