Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Occasional Drunkenness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
handy said:
Nonetheless, the Scriptures make it clear that drunkenness, the state of being drunk itself, not drunk and... (drunk and beating my wife, drunk and running over a kid) is sin.

The problem with moral relativity is that then it all comes down to who is to say what is moral and what isn't. Your own post shows this: In spite of what the very clear concepts of what the Scriptures tell us, Hitler decided to kill the "Christ killers"...

There is an absolute just opinion, God's opinion is both absolute and just. The thing is, we don't want to agree with that, so we get into relativism and justification of things that really are quite straightforward.

I understand your point handy, as i said I was just putting forth a different 'perspective'. The problem we run into is the bible says 'drunkeness' is not wise but the problem becomes how to define 'drunkeness'. Some will say it's ok to have a 'couple' others will say none at all. We find instances in the bible of people drinking wine so both arguments are 'justified' but we need something more to go on. Well, in your case you choose to not drink at all and avoid the whole dilemma, another might have 1 or 2 drinks and be fine with it, and yet another might have 5 or 6 and be fine. It's one of those subjects where a lot of it comes down to 'opinions'. At what point is one 'drunk'? For me personally, I don't drink all that often but there is usually at least 2 Saturdays out of the month where me and my wife have friends over for drinks and games. 'Sin' is not what comes out of that but fellowship, good times, happiness, loving our neighbor, joy, celebrations, and the list goes on all of which are 'approved' by the bible. It's a personal decision and while some may disagree with others point of view on it, it does not make that person necessarily 'wrong' other than in the eyes of the beholder so to speak. Make any sense?

cheers

Caroline H said:
All of us are capable of far more than we think we are. You can say that you would never hit a woman, but you never know what you would do under certain circumstances. I know this because I did some things that I said I would never ever do, because I found them evil and repulsive, and almost hated anyone who did them. But certain situations in my life led me down a path of sin, and I made some bad decisions and one day I found myself doing the very same thing I thought I was incapable of doing. So good intentions is not what this passage is about. God knows people can have good intentions and still fail, because we are sinful. I think that passages like this serve as a warning to us not to invite sin, because no matter how strong we think we are, when in a state of weakness we are setting ourselves up for failure.

I understand your point but there are some 'absolutes' so to speak in what we will and will not do. I can say I will never hit a woman and I can say it with certainty as it would take a lot for me to hit a guy. I have been in situations where I have got into a fight with a guy but very rare, I've even ended up in the hospital with a concussion as I wouldn't fight a guy because I thought it was stupid and he smashed my face of a metal door. I'm not a fighter and don't get agitated all that easy, at least to the point of hitting someone so unless I 'snap' and go crazy I am pretty confident in saying I would never hit a woman. Now I do agree with you in I couldn't make 'absolute' claims about all matters but that is one I am sure of.

The only thing I have against drinking is this, I used to be an alcoholic. If I was young in Christ and saw another Christian drinking or buying alcohol, I might convince myself that I would be able to handle a little alcohol; which I can't. That Christian, whether known or unknown, has led me into sin, which is a sin in itself. The Bible says not to put stumbling blocks in front of your brother. So far, everyone that is for drinking occasionally is acting like it's no big deal. They just do it to have fun and relax. If it's not a big deal, then why argue about it? Wouldn't it be smarter to just not do it so you wouldn't take the chance of leading a brother into sin?

elijah23 said:
Aero_Hudson said:
I see no problem with it all as long as you are not harming yourself and others. I enjoy tying one on every now and then. :)
How often is “every now and then�

For me it is very rarely. Once or twice a year at the most. However, I do drink for the taste and enjoyment of it. I drink micro brewed beers with meal for the most part. I love the different flavors and how various foods will provide different experiences with a given beer depending on food being consumed.

There are times when I will follow that with an additional beer and get a bit buzzed. It's relaxing and usually occurs in the privacy of my own home. I don't see anything wrong with this since it does not impair my judgement to the point where I stray from God or act like a complete idiot as some people do when consuming alcohol.

I don't drink, never have, never will for the simple reason I've seen how it makes people stupid, so i've no wish to be like them..;)

Let's stop for a minute and consider what the Bible (the written Word of God) says about it...quite a bit actually, and not at all complimentary. As long as you drink and are not 'inebriated', then you have full control of your faculties.

1 Timothy 5: 23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

However, over-extreme of anything is not considered wisdom by any means.

Ezekiel 23:32-34 (New International Version)

32 "This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
"You will drink your sister's cup,
a cup large and deep;
it will bring scorn and derision,
for it holds so much.

33 You will be filled with drunkenness and sorrow,
the cup of ruin and desolation,
the cup of your sister Samaria.

34 You will drink it and drain it dry;
you will dash it to pieces
and tear your breasts.
I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.

Luke 21: 34 "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap.

1 Peter 4:2-4 As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

Titus 1:7 Since an overseer[a] is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain.

1 Timothy 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect.

elijah23 said:
Is there anything wrong with occasional drunkenness? I would say yes.

I say yes...drunkeness is wrong. It certainly isn't right.
It's bad for the person who gets drunk and it's bad for those who are exposed to it.

That said...lots of things are wrong, but we still do them.
We are still in the flesh and we will battle with our flesh until we are given glorified bodies.
Some things we can control easier than others. Alcohol is one that's easily avoided. IMO.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back