Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

On The Providence of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Whatever

I will just start out here with a definition from the Websters 1828 Dictionary.

1. The act of providing or preparing for future use or application.

2. Foresight; timely care; particularly, active foresight, or foresight accompanied with the procurement of what is necessary for future use, or with suitable preparation. How many of the troubles and perplexities of life proceed from want of providence!

3. In theology, the care and superintendence which God exercises over his creatures. He that acknowledges a creation and denies a providence involves himself in a palpable contradiction; for the same power which caused a thing to exist is necessary to continue its existence. Some persons admit a general providence but deny a particular providence not considering that a general providence consists of particulars. A belief in divine providence is a source of great consolation to good men. By divine providence is often understood God himself.

And the Westminster Confession of Faith

CHAPTER 5
Of Providence

1. God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by his most wise and holy providence, according to his infallible foreknowledge, and the free and immutable counsel of his own will, to the praise of the glory of his wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy.

The directing care of God over things animate and inanimate—beneficially over those who yielded to His will. Providence is the divine outworking of all decrees, the object being the final manifestation of God’s glory. God is continually involved with all created things in such a way that he:
  1. Keeps them existing and maintaining the properties with which he created them (see preservation, Acts 17:28a, Colossians 1:17, Hebrews 1:3, Romans 11:36, Job 34:14-15, John 1:3)
  2. Cooperates with created things in every action, directing their distinctive properties to cause them to act as they do; (concurrence) and
  3. Directs them to fulfill his purposes (government) Psalm 139:16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were appointed for me, When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape].
Scriptures show that everything done in the world is according to his decree, declares that the things which seem most fortuitous are subject to him. In like manners who does not attribute the [casting of the] lot to the blindness of Fortune? Not so the Lord, who claims the decision for himself (Proverbs 16:33). By God’s providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined. Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion Kindle Edition.

The Bible clearly teaches God's providential control

(1) over the universe at large, Ps. 103:19; Dan. 4:35; Ephesians 1:11;
(2) over the physical world, Job 37; Psalm 104:14; 135:6; Matthew 5:45;
(3) over the brute creation, Ps. 104:21, 28; Matthew 6:26; 10:29;
(4) over the affairs of nations, Job 12:23; Psalm 22:28; 66:7; Acts 17:26;
(5) over man's birth and lot in life, 1 Sam. 16:1; Psalm 139:16; Isa. 45:5; Gal. 1:15-16;
(6) over the outward successes and failures of men's lives, Ps. 75:6, 7; Luke 1:52;
(7) over things seemingly accidental or insignificant, Prov. 16:33; Matthew 10:30;
(8) in the protection of the righteous, Psalm 4:8; 5:12; 63:8; 121:3; Rom. 8:28;
(9) in supplying the wants of God's people, Genesis 22:8, 14; Deut. 8:3; Phil. 4:19;
(10) in giving answers to prayer, 1 Samuel 1:19; Isa. 20:5, 6; 2 Chron. 33:13; Psalm 65:2; Matthew 7:7; Luke 18:7, 8; and
(11) in the exposure and punishment of the wicked, Psalm 7:12-13; 11:6.

(L. Berkhof, Systematic Theology, 4th ed.)

The directing care of God over things animate and inanimate—beneficially over those who yielded to His will. Providence is the divine outworking of all decrees, the object being the final manifestation of God’s glory. God is continually involved with all created things in such a way that he:
  1. Keeps them existing and maintaining the properties with which he created them (see preservation, Acts 17:28a, Colossians 1:17, Hebrews 1:3, Romans 11:36, Job 34:14-15, John 1:3)
  2. Cooperates with created things in every action, directing their distinctive properties to cause them to act as they do; (concurrence) and
  3. Directs them to fulfill his purposes (government) Psalm 139:16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were appointed for me, When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape].
Scriptures show that everything done in the world is according to his decree, declares that the things which seem most fortuitous are subject to him. In like manners who does not attribute the [casting of the] lot to the blindness of Fortune? Not so the Lord, who claims the decision for himself (Proverbs 16:33). By God’s providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined. Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion Kindle Edition.

(5) over man's birth and lot in life, 1 Sam. 16:1; Psalm 139:16; Isa. 45:5; Gal. 1:15-16;
(6) over the outward successes and failures of men's lives, Ps. 75:6, 7; Luke 1:52;
(7) over things seemingly accidental or insignificant, Prov. 16:33; Matthew 10:30;
(8) in the protection of the righteous, Psalm 4:8; 5:12; 63:8; 121:3; Rom. 8:28;
(9) in supplying the wants of God's people, Genesis 22:8, 14; Deut. 8:3; Phil. 4:19;
(10) in giving answers to prayer, 1 Samuel 1:19; Isa. 20:5, 6; 2 Chron. 33:13; Psalm 65:2; Matthew 7:7; Luke 18:7, 8; and

As usual the Calvinist uses no scripture, just opinion "tagged" with a scripture reference.

The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’s;
But the earth He has given to the children of men. Psalms 115:16

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:26-28

Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

• Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

Jesus demonstrated what mankind is supposed do as having dominion over everything on earth.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. John 14:12

Let's use scripture, written out and plan for all to see. Let's promote the whole counsel of God.

God has given mankind dominion and stewardship of the earth as His Children; as sons of God.

JLB

JLB

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:26-28

Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Thats solely about the Elect, this is fulfilled to them. 1 Cor 3:21-23

21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's;

22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's;

23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

The World was always His Inheritance Heb 1:2

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Rom 4:13

13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

LOL ... you should proof read before publishing ... lol
Somehow you claim I use no scripture when my post had 30ish scripture references.

Yes that's correct, your post has no scripture, just your opinion.

This is a scripture -

This is an opinion tagged with a scripture reference -

Below is your post copied here for reference -

Thats solely about the Elect, this is fulfilled to them. 1 Cor 3:21-23

Where does this scripture mention the elect.

Elect refers to Jews.

Here is what scripture teaches --

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Timothy 2:10

The scriptures teach us that Paul desires the elect to also obtain salvation, meaning the elect are not saved.

JLB

Where does this scripture mention the elect.

Elect refers to Jews.

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Timothy 2:10

The scriptures teach us that Paul desires the elect to also obtain salvation, meaning the elect are not saved.

JLB
Only the Elect. Its their inheritance via Christ Ps 37:11

But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Matt 5:5

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

But the meek shall inherit the earth,
And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. Psalms 37:11

No mention of elect here.

JLB

But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Matt 5:5

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Yes, it has been given to men to work and take care of as Stewards. We don't own it.

Mat 21:33 "Hear another parable: There was a certain landowner who planted a vineyard and set a hedge around it, dug a winepress in it and built a tower. And he leased it to vinedressers and went into a far country.

lol that agrees with me, Salvation is only for the elect

lol that agrees with me, Salvation is only for the elect

You seem to have trouble understanding what is plainly written in the scriptures.

This is evident.

Paul desires that the elect become saved. That the elect obtain salvation which is in Jesus Christ.

That they ALSO may obtain salvation which is in Jesus Christ.

How does the elect also obtain salvation in Jesus Christ?

Through believing the Gospel.

You seem to have trouble understanding what is plainly written in the scriptures.

This is evident.

Paul desires that the elect become saved. That the elect obtain salvation which is in Jesus Christ.

Salvation in Christ Jesus is for the elect, that agrees with me. Also means other elect who are not yet converted, and gentiles. Paul was already converted, but others will be also, and God sends them the Gospel

This is evident.

One writer reasonably writes of 2 Tim 2:10

10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. Here is Paul’s missionary heart. He had suffered many things over the years of his ministry and he was happy to endure these hardships because he did it for the elect of God. There were those who have become saved already but there were many elect who were not saved yet and had to hear the true Gospel and when it was their time, they would become saved. It is the same in our day, that there are still elect in the world who have not become saved yet and the Gospel must get to them so they may hear and God will grant them salvation at the appointed time. This should be the same mindset of every Christian, that they are willing to suffer hardship to be able to get the Gospel to those elect who have not come into the kingdom yet. Since only God knows who the elect are, it is our responsibility to send forth the Gospel to the entire world. (Mat 22:14 KJV) For many are called, but few are chosen. This is why a verse like Matthew 22:14 takes on new meaning when we know that when there is a Gospel call, many may be under the hearing of the Gospel but out of that many will be the few who are the chosen or the elect of God. Paul knew the word of God can never be bound and that is why he had no qualms about going through what he did because everything he suffered worked out for the furtherance of the Gospel. (Phil 1:12 KJV) But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

Every commentator I have read agree that Jesus is talking about people in the future (like us 2,000 years later) who will hear His voice and come. And we will all be added to all those saved from Adam and Eve onward.

But still Joh 10:26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.

Out of the billions of people who have lived, some are His sheep and some aren't. Again, goats do not become sheep. They are either sheep or goats when born.

Joh_10:3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

He knows His own sheep by name, even those He was talking about above in John 10:16. His sheep is not a nameless, faceless blob of "whosoever's."

Whatever

Out of the billions of people who have lived, some are His sheep and some aren't. Again, goats do not become sheep. They are either sheep or goats when born.

So did Christ lay down His Life for any of the goats ? Do they have a chance to be saved ?

So did Christ lay down His Life for any of the goats ? Do they have a chance to be saved ?
I'll let Jesus answer that:
Joh 10:15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

No mention of goats. Jesus didn't come so that anybody could have a chance to be saved.

Mat 25:32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.

Notice, divide His sheep from the goats.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back