Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[ Testimony ] ONE DAY OUT SHOPPING ~*

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Kelly01

One day out shopping ~

A few weeks back at my neighborhood clothing store, I noticed a homeless man sitting on the concrete. So, I engaged in conversation with him before shopping. His life story was very touching, whereas he struggled with Alcoholism and lost his family.

After I gave him a soda and a few dollars, I started to do a little thinking. Some of us may get a little aggravated when our favorite restaurant forgets to put extra pickles on our burger. Or when our neighborhood post office delivers a package too late... it may be a big deal for some of us as well. All those "not too important" things seem to clutter some of our minds from time to time. In reality, they are the SMALLEST of troubles, and actually they are "not a big deal" at all.

Then I thought a little more . When I don't have enough pickles, he may be wondering where his next meal will come from. When I am sweating the arrival of my package, he may be sweating if there is a warm cot left at the local shelter or mission. When I am worried about a clothing size, he is worried about having a warm coat for a cold winter night.

I saw so many people go by this man; giving him hateful looks and voicing "not so nice" remarks. I could of looked at this person in a bad way too, but I chose to see him as a person of Christ and do some deep thinking. The homeless speak greatly to my heart, and I know they speak to many of you as well.

The homeless are greatly judged by some people Fact is, till we walk in a homeless strangers shoes we do not know their entire story. There may be a lot more going on than what appears on the surface.

There may be a mental illness and they cannot find work or keep a job because of mental health issues. Moreover, they may of lost so much in life that now they have given up. Yes, a lot are addicted to alcohol or substances too. But they are still human beings in need of compassion and love. They may be unable to get proper help or counsel. We just do not know at one glance.

Whatever their case may be; we are to look at them as a person of Christ; Gods son or daughter....His child. I saw a lot of people not being very nice to the homeless gentleman. We are to love ALL our fellow brothers and sisters, reaching out as Christ did to those in need. If we do not possess anything to give, be compassionate towards them. Speak a kind word or give a simple smile; it may be the hope that gives them the drive they need to persevere. It can be hard to get up when harsh words and hateful stares are knocking someone down constantly.

Just a few thoughts ~ Kelly

Matthew 25:35-40

New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Last edited:
I was the least of these, before Christ intervened. I still don't count for a lot to society. 30, chroncially unemployed, mentally ill, living with my (thankfully, affluent) parents and receiving disability. Doesn't help that I was labeled a "trouble maker" and the mental health "professionals" came after me in a big, big way.

So, I'm glad you reached out to him. A lot of so-called Christians are even more judgmental than non-Christians.

Yes they are Christ empowered ! I was shocked at some of the activity I saw. You know the looks and comments. There is a homeless charity that I know of. I gave him the number to it. Maybe he will get help. They give food out from the local Catholic church and tents too sometimes. All we can do is pray.

This is one reason why I'm a Christian...in all honesty, nobody but true, Born Again Christians really care about the lowest of the low in society. Having been on the receiving end of some serious Christian pity/compassion, I'm proud of you for stepping out and talking to this man.

Christ empowered. I did not do much. I feel I could of done more. I bought him a soda and gave him a few dollars. I asked him if he prayed daily. His reply was if I did not, I wouldn't make it another day. He did have faith. I hope he makes the call to seek the charity's assistance. I usually do not share what is in my heart. I keep that between me and God. But I just felt the great need to remind people that they, the homeless, are human, moreover just our fellow humankind struggling on the "downtrodden path". Sad but the homeless community is rapidly growing.

One day out shopping ~

A few weeks back at my neighborhood clothing store, I noticed a homeless man sitting on the concrete. So, I engaged in conversation with him before shopping. His life story was very touching, whereas he struggled with Alcoholism and lost his family.

After I gave him a soda and a few dollars, I started to do a little thinking. Some of us may get a little aggravated when our favorite restaurant forgets to put extra pickles on our burger. Or when our neighborhood post office delivers a package too late... it may be a big deal for some of us as well. All those "not too important" things seem to clutter some of our minds from time to time. In reality, they are the SMALLEST of troubles, and actually they are "not a big deal" at all.

Then I thought a little more . When I don't have enough pickles, he may be wondering where his next meal will come from. When I am sweating the arrival of my package, he may be sweating if there is a warm cot left at the local shelter or mission. When I am worried about a clothing size, he is worried about having a warm coat for a cold winter night.

I saw so many people go by this man; giving him hateful looks and voicing "not so nice" remarks. I could of looked at this person in a bad way too, but I chose to see him as a person of Christ and do some deep thinking. The homeless speak greatly to my heart, and I know they speak to many of you as well.

The homeless are greatly judged by some people Fact is, till we walk in a homeless strangers shoes we do not know their entire story. There may be a lot more going on than what appears on the surface.

There may be a mental illness and they cannot find work or keep a job because of mental health issues. Moreover, they may of lost so much in life that now they have given up. Yes, a lot are addicted to alcohol or substances too. But they are still human beings in need of compassion and love. They may be unable to get proper help or counsel. We just do not know at one glance.

Whatever their case may be; we are to look at them as a person of Christ; Gods son or daughter....His child. I saw a lot of people not being very nice to the homeless gentleman. We are to love ALL our fellow brothers and sisters, reaching out as Christ did to those in need. If we do not possess anything to give, be compassionate towards them. Speak a kind word or give a simple smile; it may be the hope that gives them the drive they need to persevere. It can be hard to get up when harsh words and hateful stares are knocking someone down constantly.

Just a few thoughts ~ Kelly

Matthew 25:35-40

New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Kelly I loved your post, you are so good to reach out. I have done exactly the same thing, but most of the time im too afrad to take them home and care for them.

This is one reason why I'm a Christian...in all honesty, nobody but true, Born Again Christians really care about the lowest of the low in society. Having been on the receiving end of some serious Christian pity/compassion, I'm proud of you for stepping out and talking to this man.
Christ_empowered, your statement is very shocking.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back