Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth ONE FOR ALL, ALL FOR ONE—UNDERSTANDING THE TITHING PRINCIPLE

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

DWJL511

Sometime in the late nineties, I had what I like to call a “personal spiritual revival.” Due to an unfortunate event, I actually came to be “on fire for God,” and there was a great peace. The flowers looked more colorful, the trees were greener, even the setting sun and darkening skies could make me smile. I was also baptized in the Spirit, and spoke in tongues to praise God for His wonderful creation.

In that season, something was birthed in my heart. As the Bible says, God can work new desires into your heart (Philippians 2:13). I started having a desire to give a portion of my modest income to God—not once off, but regularly.

I was attending a traditional Methodist church then and all I knew about giving regularly (besides Sunday offerings) was the “pledge.” My father had been pledging some of his income or pension to the church annually. I wanted to do the same. No one put a gun to my head. And I didn’t think God would curse me if I didn’t.

Then, I heard a cassette-tape sermon by a pastor who is now my pastor. He taught on tithing (something he rarely does)—not under law and obligation, but under grace and revelation. It all clicked. That desire in my heart was fleshed out with words and scriptures. It was a confirmation that I was on the right track, and as they say, the rest is history.

Today, many years, and tithes, later, I have grown in my understanding of tithing, and that’s what I want to talk about. Just what is tithing?

First off, many Christians say that tithing is obsolete because the Old Testament folks tithed grains, seeds, wine, oil, fruits and flocks, and not dollars and cents. If you bring up the case of Abraham, they will likewise say that if you want to follow Abraham’s example, you will have to fight a war and make sure you win so you can tithe on the spoils.

I find these arguments rather silly. It’s like saying if you want to preach today the right way to do it is to use your bare voice and a donkey, and not any of the modern technologies—public address systems, radio, television, the Internet, and land and air transportation systems—since they didn’t use these things back in Bible days. Or, if you want to get baptized in the Spirit, then you must like the early disciples go to Jerusalem and tarry there, until Pentecost is fully come!

Tithing is really not that difficult to understand and appreciate, once you understand a certain economic principle that God has. And the principle is this:

Romans 11:16, NIV
If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy…​

If you set apart unto God (that is what it means to “make holy”) a firstfruits (first or best pickings) portion of your “harvest” (whatever that may be in modern times), your entire “harvest” is also sanctified or made holy. In other words, Offering just the firstfruits is equivalent to offering the entire harvest.

This principle is inherent in the tithe too. If you tithe just 10% of the increase you have to God, you have in effect given your entire increase (all 100% of it) to God. The entire batch or lump becomes holy just because of the tithe. Like the firstfruits, The tithe or 10% is a representative of the whole.

Let me make this clearer with a simple illustration.

Let’s say you have 100 shirts to give to an orphanage. According the world’s economic principles, if you want to give all your shirts to the orphanage, you would have to give all 100 shirts. Simple Math. But according to God’s economic principle of the tithe, giving just 10 shirts (10%) is as good as giving all 100 shirts (100%). As far as God is concerned, in giving just 10% you have given everything.

I mentioned earlier that the entire batch or the 100% becomes holy (or set apart unto God) just through the offering of the firstfruits or the tithe. What’s the benefit of the entire batch becoming holy? Well, what’s set apart unto God is blessed and protected by God. So if you tithe 10% of your income to God, He blesses and protects the rest. Despite having 10% less after tithing, I have always had enough at the end of the month. All these years, I have never lacked. There are other benefits of tithing too, like how it helps us break the hold or love of money—the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10). If you don’t want your children to grow up loving money, then get them to tithe from a young age, or as soon as they start earning.

Once you understand God’s principle of the tithe—how the tenth represents the whole or how it is “one for all, all for one”—you will see that this principle is also inherent in other well-known Bible doctrines and stories, since it is a divine principle that never goes out of style. Here are a few examples:

• If you break just 1 commandment (10%) out of the 10 commandments, as far as God is concerned, you have broken ALL 10 (James 2:10).

• The Holy Spirit convicts people of just 1 sin—the sin of unbelief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (John 16:9). But if you repent of just this 1 sin and believe in Jesus, you are justified not just from this 1 sin but also from ALL sins of your entire life (Acts 13:39). One for all, all for one!

• In his negotiation with the Lord to not destroy the city of Sodom, Abraham went from 50 righteous men all the way down to just 10 righteous men, to which the Lord said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of TEN” (Genesis 18:32). Just 10 righteous men, symbolic of the 10%, were enough for the Lord to spare ALL the other men of the city!

• Abraham’s servant, who was tasked to look for a bride for Isaac, took just 10 of his master’s camels along with him, yet the Bible tells us this: “for ALL his master’s goods were in his hand” (Genesis 24:10). The servant didn’t need to bring along everything, just 10 camels symbolic of the 10%, and that was enough to show others that his master had entrusted ALL his goods to him.

• ALL the Israelites had to wander in the desert because of the evil report of the 10 spies, who were symbolic of the 10% (Numbers 14:34–35). Once more, we see how the 10% represents ALL. The fate of the ENTIRE nation for the next forty years was determined by the faithless 10.​

There are other examples, but I think you get the point.

When you understand the principle of the tithe and see how it is used throughout Scripture, you will begin to understand how it can also apply to various aspects of your walk with God.

Do you want all 24 hours of your day to be made holy and blessed by the Lord? Then give the first pickings—the first few minutes or moments of the day—to the Lord. That’s why we do morning devotions or “quiet time.” You’ll find that the rest of your day goes smoother, even if you face challenges.

If you want your entire week sanctified and blessed as well, then set apart one day, such as Sunday, for the Lord. Yes, go to church and worship Him, and He will bless the rest of your week.

Now we come to the touchy part—tithing on our salaries.

Many Christians like to say, “Lord, all that I have is Yours. I give You everything!”

While the first statement is true since He gave us life and holds our breath in His hand, the second statement is rather absurd, an impossibility, naturally speaking.

You can’t give ALL of your money to the Lord. How are you going to pay the bills or put food on the table for your children? Who’s going to pay the rent and taxes? It’s just not practical or feasible.

God understands this, and He is a very practical God. He says, “If you really want to give Me ‘everything,’ here’s how you can still do it: give a tenth to Me and you’ve given everything to Me.”

Simply give a tenth of your salary, and you’ve given it all to Him. You’ll also find that the remaining 90% goes a longer way than if you had kept it all for yourself.

So that’s the principle of the tithe. Once you grasp it, you won’t miss the forest for the trees. You won’t split hairs and get caught up in details—“It’s agricultural produce, not money!”—and miss the big picture, with all its blessings.

First off, many Christians say that tithing is obsolete because the Old Testament folks tithed grains, seeds, wine, oil, fruits and flocks, and not dollars and cents.

The Biblical tithe, a part of the Law of Moses, is defined precisely at Deuteronomy 14:22-29. It tells us that the Jews were required to take a 10th of their "income" each year; take it to Jerusalem, and eat their tithe in celebration of what the Lord had provided. They were to include the widow, orphan, alien and Levite in their party.

Every third year they were to take their tithe and place it in the storehouses in their towns in order to insure that the widow, orphan, alien and Levite had sufficient provision.

1. That is the Biblical definition of tithing.
2. Israel was commanded to follow that law.
3. At the counsel of Jerusalem described in Acts 15, Gentiles were explicitly declared to be exempt from the Law of Moses. (which includes the tithe)
4. Paul gives instruction that believers "...give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." ( 2Co 9:7) The words "of necessity" are a reference to the "necessity" that Jews under the Law give a tithe.

There is no New Testament teaching that anyone should tithe. And lest you say that Jesus taught about tithing, be reminded that when Jesus walked the earth, the New Covenant had not yet been established and that He preached to Jews under the Law.

[/QUOTE] If you bring up the case of Abraham, they will likewise say that if you want to follow Abraham’s example, you will have to fight a war and make sure you win so you can tithe on the spoils.

I find these arguments rather silly. It’s like saying if you want to preach today the right way to do it is to use your bare voice and a donkey, and not any of the modern technologies—public address systems, radio, television, the Internet, and land and air transportation systems—since they didn’t use these things back in Bible days. Or, if you want to get baptized in the Spirit, then you must like the early disciples go to Jerusalem and tarry there, until Pentecost is fully come!
[/QUOTE]

You find the argument silly for silly reasons.

The comparison to the availability of modern technologies is completely illogical and the day of Pentecost was not the standard experience of receiving the Holy Spirit. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a "standard" experience. When Peter preached to the house of Cornelius, they were filled with the Spirit before they were baptized and when Phillip preached in Samaria, the people did not receive the Holy Spirit after being baptized until Peter came and laid hands on them. (Acts 8)

Consider the circumstances in which Abraham gave the Tithe to Melchizedek .
1. It was a single instance. There is no indication that Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek on a regular basis.
2. He gave a tithe of the spoils of war, not of his annual increase. (In fact, Abraham kept nothing of the spoils for himself so he had no "increase" from the spoils. Gen 14:23)

To consider that one instance a clear teaching that New Covenant believers are to give a tithe of their income is to go very far beyond what is written.

Why not use the one instance when Jesus told the rich, young ruler to sell all he had, give the proceeds to the poor and then follow Jesus and a mendicant, itinerant preacher?

[/QUOTE]Tithing is really not that difficult to understand and appreciate, once you understand a certain economic principle that God has. And the principle is this:

If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy…
[/QUOTE]
You have chosen a passage that teaches about the status of Israel with regard to the New Covenant and have attempted to apply it to tithing. That is one of the major failings of using a "proof text" which is a verse or part of a verse taken out of its context and forced into a context where it doesn't belong. (Televangelists do this all the time!)

[/QUOTE]If you set apart unto God (that is what it means to “make holy”) a firstfruits (first or best pickings) portion of your “harvest” (whatever that may be in modern times), your entire “harvest” is also sanctified or made holy. In other words, Offering just the firstfruits is equivalent to offering the entire harvest.[/QUOTE]

Firstfruits and the tithe are two entirely different things. It is a logical fallacy to attempt to make a point by conflating them.

[/QUOTE]Here are a few examples:

1• If you break just 1 commandment (10%) out of the 10 commandments, as far as God is concerned, you have broken ALL 10 (James 2:10).

2• The Holy Spirit convicts people of just 1 sin—the sin of unbelief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (John 16:9). But if you repent of just this 1 sin and believe in Jesus, you are justified not just from this 1 sin but also from ALL sins of your entire life (Acts 13:39). One for all, all for one!

3• In his negotiation with the Lord to not destroy the city of Sodom, Abraham went from 50 righteous men all the way down to just 10 righteous men, to which the Lord said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of TEN” (Genesis 18:32). Just 10 righteous men, symbolic of the 10%, were enough for the Lord to spare ALL the other men of the city!

4• Abraham’s servant, who was tasked to look for a bride for Isaac, took just 10 of his master’s camels along with him, yet the Bible tells us this: “for ALL his master’s goods were in his hand” (Genesis 24:10). The servant didn’t need to bring along everything, just 10 camels symbolic of the 10%, and that was enough to show others that his master had entrusted ALL his goods to him.

5• ALL the Israelites had to wander in the desert because of the evil report of the 10 spies, who were symbolic of the 10% (Numbers 14:34–35). Once more, we see how the 10% represents ALL. The fate of the ENTIRE nation for the next forty years was determined by the faithless 10.

[/QUOTE]

Those "examples" don't make any cogent point.

#1: Your "point" is apparently that Christians are required to keep the entire Law of Moses. That is what Paul called "another Gospel" whose messenger is accursed. (Gal 1:8)

#2; Has nothing to say about tithing and is false; the Holy Spirit convicts of ALL sin. (John 16:7-8)

[/QUOTE] When you understand the principle of the tithe and see how it is used throughout Scripture, ...[/QUOTE]

It is not used throughout Scripture. It is not mentioned in the New Covenant.

But, no, I am not opposed to tithing.

I am opposed to telling Christians that keeping the Law of Moses is a part of Christianity and that is exactly what the modern teaching of tithing does.

I am opposed to the teaching of tithing as a principle of Christianity. It is not. It has become the modern version of buying one's way out of hell like the indulgences which Luther opposed. (And if anyone opposes teaching on tithing it can easily get him kicked out of his church just like Luther.)

The Biblical tithe, a part of the Law of Moses, is defined precisely at Deuteronomy 14:22-29. It tells us that the Jews were required to take a 10th of their "income" each year; take it to Jerusalem, and eat their tithe in celebration of what the Lord had provided. They were to include the widow, orphan, alien and Levite in their party.

Every third year they were to take their tithe and place it in the storehouses in their towns in order to insure that the widow, orphan, alien and Levite had sufficient provision.

1. That is the Biblical definition of tithing.
2. Israel was commanded to follow that law.
3. At the counsel of Jerusalem described in Acts 15, Gentiles were explicitly declared to be exempt from the Law of Moses. (which includes the tithe)
4. Paul gives instruction that believers "...give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." ( 2Co 9:7) The words "of necessity" are a reference to the "necessity" that Jews under the Law give a tithe.

There is no New Testament teaching that anyone should tithe. And lest you say that Jesus taught about tithing, be reminded that when Jesus walked the earth, the New Covenant had not yet been established and that He preached to Jews under the Law.
If you bring up the case of Abraham, they will likewise say that if you want to follow Abraham’s example, you will have to fight a war and make sure you win so you can tithe on the spoils.

[/QUOTE]

You find the argument silly for silly reasons.

The comparison to the availability of modern technologies is completely illogical and the day of Pentecost was not the standard experience of receiving the Holy Spirit. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a "standard" experience. When Peter preached to the house of Cornelius, they were filled with the Spirit before they were baptized and when Phillip preached in Samaria, the people did not receive the Holy Spirit after being baptized until Peter came and laid hands on them. (Acts 8)

Consider the circumstances in which Abraham gave the Tithe to Melchizedek .
1. It was a single instance. There is no indication that Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek on a regular basis.
2. He gave a tithe of the spoils of war, not of his annual increase. (In fact, Abraham kept nothing of the spoils for himself so he had no "increase" from the spoils. Gen 14:23)

To consider that one instance a clear teaching that New Covenant believers are to give a tithe of their income is to go very far beyond what is written.

Why not use the one instance when Jesus told the rich, young ruler to sell all he had, give the proceeds to the poor and then follow Jesus and a mendicant, itinerant preacher?

[/QUOTE]Tithing is really not that difficult to understand and appreciate, once you understand a certain economic principle that God has. And the principle is this:

If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy…
[/QUOTE]
You have chosen a passage that teaches about the status of Israel with regard to the New Covenant and have attempted to apply it to tithing. That is one of the major failings of using a "proof text" which is a verse or part of a verse taken out of its context and forced into a context where it doesn't belong. (Televangelists do this all the time!)

[/QUOTE]If you set apart unto God (that is what it means to “make holy”) a firstfruits (first or best pickings) portion of your “harvest” (whatever that may be in modern times), your entire “harvest” is also sanctified or made holy. In other words, Offering just the firstfruits is equivalent to offering the entire harvest.[/QUOTE]

Firstfruits and the tithe are two entirely different things. It is a logical fallacy to attempt to make a point by conflating them.

[/QUOTE]Here are a few examples:

1• If you break just 1 commandment (10%) out of the 10 commandments, as far as God is concerned, you have broken ALL 10 (James 2:10).

2• The Holy Spirit convicts people of just 1 sin—the sin of unbelief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (John 16:9). But if you repent of just this 1 sin and believe in Jesus, you are justified not just from this 1 sin but also from ALL sins of your entire life (Acts 13:39). One for all, all for one!

3• In his negotiation with the Lord to not destroy the city of Sodom, Abraham went from 50 righteous men all the way down to just 10 righteous men, to which the Lord said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of TEN” (Genesis 18:32). Just 10 righteous men, symbolic of the 10%, were enough for the Lord to spare ALL the other men of the city!

4• Abraham’s servant, who was tasked to look for a bride for Isaac, took just 10 of his master’s camels along with him, yet the Bible tells us this: “for ALL his master’s goods were in his hand” (Genesis 24:10). The servant didn’t need to bring along everything, just 10 camels symbolic of the 10%, and that was enough to show others that his master had entrusted ALL his goods to him.

5• ALL the Israelites had to wander in the desert because of the evil report of the 10 spies, who were symbolic of the 10% (Numbers 14:34–35). Once more, we see how the 10% represents ALL. The fate of the ENTIRE nation for the next forty years was determined by the faithless 10.

[/QUOTE]

Those "examples" don't make any cogent point.

#1: Your "point" is apparently that Christians are required to keep the entire Law of Moses. That is what Paul called "another Gospel" whose messenger is accursed. (Gal 1:8)

#2; Has nothing to say about tithing and is false; the Holy Spirit convicts of ALL sin. (John 16:7-8)

[/QUOTE] When you understand the principle of the tithe and see how it is used throughout Scripture, ...[/QUOTE]

It is not used throughout Scripture. It is not mentioned in the New Covenant.

But, no, I am not opposed to tithing.

I am opposed to telling Christians that keeping the Law of Moses is a part of Christianity and that is exactly what the modern teaching of tithing does.

I am opposed to the teaching of tithing as a principle of Christianity. It is not. It has become the modern version of buying one's way out of hell like the indulgences which Luther opposed. (And if anyone opposes teaching on tithing it can easily get him kicked out of his church just like Luther.)[/QUOTE]

Jim Greetings,
Your view on the tithe is not all 100 percent correct nor is your arguments against it.
It is clear that you have not spent any real time with the father on this and that is your right - however many have and have also learned how wonderful and inportant the tithe really is.
OBTW Jesus said Mark 12:17 says And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
God Bless
James W

I might open a new account and put 10% in it each week. A savings for the Lord when he returns. Then I can hand him his cash personally. It would be a great honour. He can have all the interest as well if he so lustfully desires.

Last edited:
It is clear that you have not spent any real time with the father on this

While it is a far too common occurrence in Christian forums, I find it quite offensive when people who don't know me from Adam tell me that I don't read the Bible enough or pray enough and that, if I would only do so, I too could reach the glorified height of spiritual enlightenment that they have achieved.

The next time you are tempted to make such a statement to someone whom you have never met, perhaps you might consider the spiritual option of remaining silent. :) Thank you!

and that is your right - however many have and have also learned how wonderful and important the tithe really is.

If you think it is wonderful and important to put Christians back under the Law of Moses, that is your choice. Paul stated that any person bringing such a "gospel" is accursed. :shock

OBTW Jesus said Mark 12:17 says And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Jesus was speaking to Jews under the Law before the New Covenant had been established. His point was that it was proper to pay taxes to the government that kept the roads clear of robbers and the barbarians away from your gates. The passage has absolutely nothing to say about tithing. Our reasonable service to God is to be a living sacrifice, continuously giving ourselves to the ministry of reconciliation to God as His royal priesthood of believers and ambassadors of the Kingdom of God.

There is no NT instruction to tithe. Paul teaches the exact opposite: give from a cheerful heart, willingly, and not because you are under the compulsion of the law. But, who knows; maybe Paul hadn't spent any real time with the Father.

iakov the fool :boing

Jacob made a covenant to tithe hundreds of years before the law was given to Moses, with no mandate from God. His act of worship was simply inspired by the Holy Spirit, and continued to establish a pattern and precedent of tithing.

And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.” Genesis 28:22 NLT

The book of Proverbs is the book of wisdom. It is not law and it clearly applies to every believer for all generations. The clearest verse in the Bible regarding this practice of bringing the first and best can be found in this book of timeless wisdom.

Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine. Proverbs 3:9-10

Honor the Lord with your wealth And with the first fruits of all your crops (income); 10 Then your barns will be abundantly filled And your vats will overflow with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 AMP

We tithe because it all belongs to God in the first place.

Look, the highest heavens and the earth and everything in it all belong to the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 10:14

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty. Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours! Wealth and honor come from you alone, for you rule over everything. 1 Chronicles 29:11-12

“Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me.” Job 41:11

The earth belongs to God. Everything in all the world is His. He is the one who pushed the oceans back to let dry land appear.
Psalm 24:1-2

“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine,” says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. Haggai 2:8

This is why God told the nation of Israel, in Malachi 3:7-9, that they were robbing Him: they were keeping what was rightfully His. When we see not just the tithe, but everything in our lives, as belonging to God, it gives us accurate perspective on why we should “return the tithe”. The same could be said of our time and our affections. Jesus told the Church in Ephesus:

“But I have this complaint against you. You have forsaken your first love! Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don’t repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches. Revelation 2:4-5

The very nature of God requires that He deserves and will only accept our first, not our leftovers! This is true of our time, our passion, our love, and our finances. This is why we teach that tithing is the first, not the leftovers. It belongs to Him and giving to Him first is our reasonable act of worship!

Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field. [d] While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

Hebrews 7:8 New King James Version (NKJV)

8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there He receives them, of whom it is witnessed that He lives.

In other words...I put my tithe in the box, mortal men take it out. But there He receives my tithe. Jesus Himself!

Jacob made a covenant to tithe hundreds of years before the law was given to Moses, with no mandate from God.

There is no tithe for Christians. Christians are told (2Co 9:7) "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

And if you are going to tithe according to the OT, then do what it explicitly tells you to do; go to Jerusalem two years out of three and, in the third year, the year of the tithe, bring your tithe to the storehouses in your town so that there will be provision for the widow orphan, stranger, and Levite. (Deut 14)

Nowhere in the OT or the New does it tell you to give a tithe of your income to the NT church.

Do you have such storehouses in your town? (I'm thinking, "no.")
Do you have a Levites in your town? (Also thinking, "no".)
Does your church provide for the widows, orphans and aliens in your community? (Most churches don't but still demand a tithe.)

This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?
(Gal 3:2-3 NKJV)

If you insist on keeping the law of the Tithe the you are under a curse.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”

There is no requirement for a Christian to tithe. However, we have a responsibility to insure that our clergy can support their families from what we give and, if we want to have a place to worship with a roof on it, we need to contribute to it's upkeep.

Will you be judged by Christ when HE comes according to whether or not you tithed? No.

Here's how you will be judged:

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ " "...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ "(Mat 25:34-36, 40 NKJV)

or

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ " "...inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ " (Mat 25:41-43, 45 NKJV)

Does the church to which you tithe do that as a major part of its ministry?

If not, then you might want to reconsider where you are laying up your treasure.......

Jus' sayin'. :thinking

iakov the fool
:boing

There is no tithe for Christians. Christians are told (2Co 9:7) "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

And if you are going to tithe according to the OT, then do what it explicitly tells you to do; go to Jerusalem two years out of three and, in the third year, the year of the tithe, bring your tithe to the storehouses in your town so that there will be provision for the widow orphan, stranger, and Levite. (Deut 14)

Nowhere in the OT or the New does it tell you to give a tithe of your income to the NT church.

Do you have such storehouses in your town? (I'm thinking, "no.")
Do you have a Levites in your town? (Also thinking, "no".)
Does your church provide for the widows, orphans and aliens in your community? (Most churches don't but still demand a tithe.)

This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?
(Gal 3:2-3 NKJV)

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”

There is no requirement for a Christian to tithe. However, we have a responsibility to insure that our clergy can support their families from what we give and, if we want to have a place to worship with a roof on it, we need to contribute to it's upkeep.

Will you be judged by Christ when HE comes according to whether or not you tithed? No.

Here's how you will be judged:

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ " "...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ "(Mat 25:34-36, 40 NKJV)

or

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ " "...inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ " (Mat 25:41-43, 45 NKJV)

Does the church to which you tithe do that as a major part of its ministry?

If not, then you might want to reconsider where you are laying up your treasure.......

Jus' sayin'. :thinking

iakov the fool
Many Christians want to be blessed in this area, but don't want to be address in this area!
It takes faith to give the first 10 percent, not the last 10. Cain didn’t bring God his first fruits, and he reaped the consequences. When we have the heart of Cain in our finances, we also have the spirit of mammon on our lives. It takes faith to tithe. Every time you get paid are you going to believe that God’s Word works...that 90 percent with God’s blessing goes further than 100 percent without?

1. Faith without works is dead. James 2:14-26 NKJV
2. Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5 NIV
What test is used in the bible to see if you are in faith?
Answer...Luke 16:9-13

Christians are tested with the least in the Kingdom of God which is money.
Considering what Jesus has said here (Luke 16:9-13 NKJV), I think it would be difficult to overstate the significance of this down to earth, practical teaching, that applies to everyone. If a person cannot be trusted with money, and in any capacity, Jesus plainly says, he cannot be trusted with Salvation, i.e., "true riches." In view of the seriousness of what is being said, we would do well to heed carefully.

In these passages (Luke 16:9-13), Jesus is saying that irrespective of how loudly and how often we profess our Godliness, if it does not show up in our practical, every day living, and especially in the matters of money, and our responsibility toward others, our profession is vain. This statement is plain and clear, if we are unfaithful in these things. "Who will commit to our trust the true riches?"

Levels of faith: (many other examples in the bible)
Great faith - Matthew 8:5-10
Unfeigned faith - II Timothy 1:5
Wavering faith - James 1:5-7
Perfect faith - James 2:22
Rich faith - James 2:5
Full of faith - Acts 6:1-5
Little Faith - Matthew 6:25-34, Matthew 14:25-31
No faith - Mark 4:35-40

If love is not our motivation, whatever we give equals zero and amounts to nothing (1 Corinthians 13:3 NKJV). When we perform and try to meet the demands of the Law, we fall under the curse of trying to get God to “do” something (Galatians 3:10-14). The concept of giving and tithing is not based on money itself, it is about trust. When we give, it is no longer just giving money—it is authenticating our trust in God. Luke 16: 9-13 NKJV

It takes faith to give the first 10 percent,

Faith in what?

In the "word of faith" preachers?

In those who preach godliness as a means of gain? (1 Tim 6;3-5)

Having faith in a false teaching is no blessing.

If you want to give a tenth then give a tenth. If you can, give 90%!

But do NOT tell struggling people that God requires them to give the first 10% of their increase to some church. That is an oppressive lie.

Try telling this kid's parents that the reason their child is starving is that they don't tithe.
View attachment 7937

Faith in what?

In the "word of faith" preachers?

In those who preach godliness as a means of gain? (1 Tim 6;3-5)

Having faith in a false teaching is no blessing.

If you want to give a tenth then give a tenth. If you can, give 90%!

But do NOT tell struggling people that God requires them to give the first 10% of their increase to some church. That is an oppressive lie.

Try telling this kid's parents that the reason their child is starving is that they don't tithe.
View attachment 7937
This is Jesus talking.
“Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders—hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things—justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn’t leave the more important things undone. Matthew 23:23 TLB

Again...If love is not our motivation, whatever we give equals zero and amounts to nothing (1 Corinthians 13:3 NKJV). When we perform and try to meet the demands of the Law, we fall under the curse of trying to get God to “do” something (Galatians 3:10-14). The concept of giving and tithing is not based on money itself, it is about trust. When we give, it is no longer just giving money—it is authenticating our trust in God. Luke 16: 9-13 NKJV

This is Jesus talking.
“Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders—hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things—justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn’t leave the more important things undone. Matthew 23:23 TLB

Q: Who was Jesus talking to?

A: Jews under the law.

Q: Are you a Jew under the law?

A: You tell me.

iakov the fool

Back