Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Online Piracy

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

AIR

Downloading music, videos, movies and games are illegal :nono

Where do you get your music from? When I was a lot of younger, I used to download all songs from the internet. At teenage years I stopped downloading from the internet, not because it is illegal but because I wanted to respect artists. I was an artist too and I did not want people to download my creation for free. I was angry because of an Online Piracy :gavel

It may not concern you but these days children does not respect the artist. Children are downloading music and movies illegally without thinking of consequences. Remember that Online Piracy is a crime.

Buy vinyls, cds, cassettes, movies or simply get spotify and netflix :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not think it was Piracy if you simply want to listen to the song.If you are putting it on a CD that is a different story.

I did not think it was Piracy if you simply want to listen to the song.If you are putting it on a CD that is a different story.
it's piracy if you download it somewhere. If you just want to listen, there's youtube and spotify :)

That's actually been quite a debate over the years that people don't seem to agree on, including the courts. It used to be considered piracy if you made a profit off of it but just downloading it to listen to it yourself was considered to be about the equivalent of stopping to listen to the song on someone else's radio while passing by. Even giving it to someone else was the equivalent of back in the 60's or 70's when kids would record songs off the radio on cassette tapes and trade them among other kids. No one complained about that and no one considered it any kind of piracy or even a lack of respect for the artists.

Now it seems some people say everything is piracy. I finally decided I personally wasn't going to feel guilty for listening to music that is available for free. I don't see it as the same thing as going into a store and stealing a CD off the shelf, as some people like to compare it. But I'm also not going to download a bunch of songs, put them on CDs, and try to sell them on Craigslist either.

But that's just how I feel about it. Not really even trying to say I'm right. It's just the way I feel and I've heard lots of valid sounding arguments on all sides of this.

it's piracy if you download it somewhere. If you just want to listen, there's youtube and spotify :)
Now you've touched on one of the things I don't understand. You seem pretty sure of this, so can you explain to me why this is? What is the difference to the artist, the music company, or anyone else if I download a song and listen to it, say, 20 times off my hard drive (or for that matter, even if I put it on a CD and listen to it in my car) or if I connect to the internet and go to you tube to listen to it 20 times? Why does being connected to the internet while listening make any difference? I just don't see any difference and this is why I have a hard time with this whole idea of how one thing is "piracy" while another thing that seems so similar to me is not "piracy".

I listen to songs all the time on utube.That way I know the lyrics and I do not have to hear any garbage.

I used to download songs and some episodes of one show...but after 18 I got scared that if I got caught and they decided to come after me for it (they can't go after everyone, since there are thousands), I deleted all my illegal files.
I prefer to try to support the bands I listen to when possible by buying their songs.:thumb (And I'm not just saying this because as site staff I could potentially be in hot water by promoting illegal activity.) You can buy individual songs on iTunes.

For all the anime I watch, I admit I do look up illegal sites when I can't find them streaming on sites that are actually licensed to stream the anime. (Although I download nothing.) Otherwise my only alternative would be buying all the DVDs, and I couldn't afford more than one or two series that way. (They are EXPENSIVE.) BUT I do prefer to support the companies that made them by using legal sites. Cruncyroll, Netflix, Hulu, and Funimation are sites that are licensed to stream anime.
And I do listen to music on YouTube--and if I like the music enough, I buy it sooner or later. So it rather works as free advertisement, if you ask me.:chin

Last edited:
Downloading music, videos, movies and games are illegal :nono

Where do you get your music from? When I was a lot of younger, I used to download all songs from the internet. At teenage years I stopped downloading from the internet, not because it is illegal but because I wanted to respect artists. I was an artist too and I did not want people to download my creation for free. I was pissed off because of an Online Piracy :gavel

It may not concern you but these days children does not respect the artist. Children are downloading music and movies illegally without thinking of consequences. Remember that Online Piracy is a crime.

Buy vinyls, cds, cassettes, movies or simply get spotify and netflix :thumbsup
iTunes, Bandcamp, Beatport, Soundcloud, Juno Download, or the artist's site.

Now you've touched on one of the things I don't understand. You seem pretty sure of this, so can you explain to me why this is? What is the difference to the artist, the music company, or anyone else if I download a song and listen to it, say, 20 times off my hard drive (or for that matter, even if I put it on a CD and listen to it in my car) or if I connect to the internet and go to you tube to listen to it 20 times? Why does being connected to the internet while listening make any difference? I just don't see any difference and this is why I have a hard time with this whole idea of how one thing is "piracy" while another thing that seems so similar to me is not "piracy".
Piracy is illegal and wrong, and is therefore a sin. Period. If a song has been released on youtube by an artist, then it is no different than if they had released it to radio. If a song is on youtube that wasn't put on by the artist, then that is piracy and it should be removed. Of course I have listened to quite a fair bit on youtube but only to find what I like and then I purchase it. Music is the artist's or recording company's property and as such, they have a right to be fairly compensated for it. To not do so is exactly like walking into a store and stealing a CD off the shelf.

I really don't see how a valid argument can be made in favor of piracy.

Piracy is illegal and wrong, and is therefore a sin. Period. If a song has been released on youtube by an artist, then it is no different than if they had released it to radio. If a song is on youtube that wasn't put on by the artist, then that is piracy and it should be removed. Of course I have listened to quite a fair bit on youtube but only to find what I like and then I purchase it. Music is the artist's or recording company's property and as such, they have a right to be fairly compensated for it. To not do so is exactly like walking into a store and stealing a CD off the shelf.

I really don't see how a valid argument can be made in favor of piracy.
Yet my question was not whether or not breaking the law was a sin. My question was what is the difference between listening over and over to music that is coming through the internet (no case law that I'm aware of limits the amount of times you can listen to a song that is legally on the internet), or listening to the same music that is coming off of my hard drive? How does one of these hurt the artist while the other one doesn't. This is totally illogical to me.

Yet my question was not whether or not breaking the law was a sin. My question was what is the difference between listening over and over to music that is coming through the internet (no case law that I'm aware of limits the amount of times you can listen to a song that is legally on the internet), or listening to the same music that is coming off of my hard drive? How does one of these hurt the artist while the other one doesn't. This is totally illogical to me.
I did answer your question but if you're now adding in "a song that is legally on the internet," that's a slightly different question. I'm somewhat certain that Internet radio stations, like regular radio stations, are licenced to play specific songs that are released by the artist or record label. The whole point of putting music legally on the Internet is so that people can hear the sound of an artist and then decide whether or not to buy the music. There is no justification for saying that just because it's on the Internet legally that therefore one can download it and listen to it for free. The point is for the artist to make money, and if all people do is illegally download music for which someone has permission to legally stream, the artist doesn't get money.

And really, considering songs on iTunes typically range from $0.99 to $1.29, and sometimes becoming cheaper when the whole album is purchased, there is no excuse to not buy songs that are legally available for streaming on the Internet. For the Christian, it ought to be just a matter of doing what is right.

...but if you're now adding in "a song that is legally on the internet," that's a slightly different question.
No, it's not. The first time I posted it I just didn't expect that someone would immediately assume I meant "illegal" just because I didn't go out of my way to specify that I meant legal. I didn't expect to be immediately judged like that. I merely clarified what I meant after you quickly assumed I was supporting breaking the law.

If you are saying all those songs that are on You Tube that we can listen to for free over and over as many times as we want any time we want to are all there illegally, my understanding is that this is not correct at all.

I guess you just aren't going to answer my real question. Does anyone else have a logical explanation of what difference it makes whether or not I am connected to the internet when I listen to these songs? Or perhaps is there some law that I am unaware of that limits the number of times I can listen to them before I'm supposed to pay for them?

Last edited:
No, it's not. The first time I posted it I just didn't expect that someone would immediately assume I meant "illegal" just because I didn't go out of my way to specify that I meant legal. I didn't expect to be immediately judged like that. I merely clarified what I meant after you quickly assumed I was supporting breaking the law.

If you are saying all those songs that are on You Tube that we can listen to for free over and over as many times as we want any time we want to are all there illegally, my understanding is that this is not correct at all.

I guess you just aren't going to answer my real question. Does anyone else have a logical explanation of what difference it makes whether or not I am connected to the internet when I listen to these songs? Or perhaps is there some law that I am unaware of that limits the number of times I can listen to them before I'm supposed to pay for them?
there is a program that allows you to download videos and music for free from any website.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back