Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Opinion on Alzheimer's disease effecting believers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you think that Alzheimer's (A disease that literally eats the brain away to where it will eventually kill the person.) can erase the memory of God in someone? I know from experiences with family that they can't forget God but some do claim that they know those who were Christians and forgot God and religion. IF this is a true claim then it would seem there isn't a God.

you should try to ask a person what all is detailed. and then ask who or what god is or if he even still knows that 'name'.

i say this since i have been doing what i typed in the first line and god kept popping up in my mind but as if it/god was a hollow word.:sad

i then prayed to man kind to believe in outer life, i've said this before.
hope i said some of use.
inner life i say now too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Both my Dad and his mother, my Grandmother, died from the effects of Alzheimer's. My Grandmother, however was 92 years old, my Dad was 76. She died about 6 yrs ago, my Dad 3 yrs ago. It's a terrible disease that robs you of all dignity. They both regressed to what appeared to be children in the say 5- 8 year old range. Both were very mild mannered people all their lives, however after onset were both prone to fits of extreme rage and tantrums, and had to be confined to a nursing facility. My Grandmother carried a baby doll every where and believed it was her child. She also tried to convince everyone that she was also pregnant. My Dad somehow came up with a stuffed toy dog and believed it was alive. He would go into a rage if you tried to tell him it was a toy and no one was allowed to touch it.

They were both bigger than life to a small boy growing up and this was emotionally devastating to both my Mom, my sisters and me. Now the strange thing that happened to both of them as they lay dying was that both claimed to see dead relatives coming through the windows, accompanied by angels and beautiful music to take them to heaven. Our Pastor was present at my Dad's death and asked him what he saw. He could barely speak but described seeing his Mother and angels and hearing the beautiful music. The Pastor asked (pardon me, it's suddenly getting very dusty in here) him where they were taking him and he replied they were taking him to see Jesus. He suddenly smiled and simply quit breathing.

Now this seeming clarity from a man who only days before could not even recognize his wife and family. My Grandmother's situation was very similar except her sister accompanied the angels in her case. In both cases they both clearly understood Jesus and the angels. I can't explain what they saw and heard, nor the seeming clarity both seemed to exhibit. I only know they both truly believed it and so do I.

Let's take this one step further. In addition to Alzheimer's, if a person dies can they forget God? I'm sure they'll forget everything and don't even know they existed. But the key question is does God forget them? No, the Spirit goes back to God who gave it. Similar to computer software, God keeps all one's character and memories until the Day of Resurrection when we will be working perfectly again.

So, the real question is, "Does God forget us?" Absolutely not.

Do you think that Alzheimer's (A disease that literally eats the brain away to where it will eventually kill the person.) can erase the memory of God in someone? I know from experiences with family that they can't forget God but some do claim that they know those who were Christians and forgot God and religion. IF this is a true claim then it would seem there isn't a God.
This would not be a cause to believe there is no God. However, it IS conformation that we live in a fallen and very corrupted would.

Tim nailed it; God doesn't forget. :thumbsup

Let's take this one step further. In addition to Alzheimer's, if a person dies can they forget God? I'm sure they'll forget everything and don't even know they existed. But the key question is does God forget them? No, the Spirit goes back to God who gave it. Similar to computer software, God keeps all one's character and memories until the Day of Resurrection when we will be working perfectly again.

So, the real question is, "Does God forget us?" Absolutely not.
i stayed away from this thread till know as both my grandfathers did from this. my grandpa a devout catholic, while not perfect did have good morals. he did try to go to mass as much as possible. from what i now know of him he is in heaven. he died in 1991 and was one who literally died from his brain forgetting to run the vital organs as his heart,liver and kidney all failed at once.

my other grandpa a jew and i dont know if he was saved died from complications from his bleeding rectum. he had it removed partially and was in the hospital and died two weeks after i saw him.

he forgot much of his life, my other grandpa forgot almost all of his and didnt recall any grandkids and thought his kids were still in high school when he died.

If they retain no real memory of God (which I'm sure its still locked in there somewhere.) I would wager that they will be judged from the last time they were of sound (enough) mind---and further, they will probably be as accountable as a baby is when they are in that state.

If they retain no real memory of God (which I'm sure its still locked in there somewhere.) I would wager that they will be judged from the last time they were of sound (enough) mind---and further, they will probably be as accountable as a baby is when they are in that state.

I agree whole heartedly with you!:thumbsup One best live up to the knowledge that they now have! Acts 5:32 That is what we are held accountable for! Eccl. 12:13-14 + Rom. 8:14
--Elijah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back