Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study OT & Sacrifices

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Angel

I'm reading Leviticus, and it is talking about sacrifices for sins. Here is my question:

How many times did the Israeli's kill the animals for their sins? I don't know anyone who sins only once a day! That sounds like a LOT of dead animals. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Angel

I'm reading Leviticus, and it is talking about sacrifices for sins. Here is my question:

How many times did the Israeli's kill the animals for their sins? I don't know anyone who sins only once a day! That sounds like a LOT of dead animals. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Angel

Angel:

The answer is in great contrast to the one, finished sacrifice of the Lord Jesus (as you've read in Hebrews 9 & 10): it was an indefinite number of Old Testament animal sacrifices, and they had to keep being repeated.

But now there is no absolute need, because it's a finished, perfect work!

'The storm that bowed Thy blessed head
Is hushed for ever now,
And rest divine is ours instead,
While glory crowns Thy brow.'

Hebrews 10.11-12

Blessings.

Hi Angel,

I think one of the most common misunderstandings is the sacrificial system. For example, I'll bet you think that all of the animals were butchered and burned. That's really not the case as the majority of the animals used were actually eaten as a communal meal. Even a small portion was given to the priests to eat as a portion of their wage since the Levites did not own land.

To better answer your question though, a whole burnt offering would be made which means the entire animal was burnt with the exception of a few parts. This laid the base for the sacrificail system since this offering was what atoned for the sin of the priests and the people. From there, all other sacrifices and offerings were made on top of the burnt offering and enjoyed as a communal meal. In other words, it was kind of like a potluck on steroids in the presence of God.

Hope that helps. If you run across a specific passage in Leviticus, I'd be happy to better explain.

Hi Angel.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Just tag me and I'll know that you replied. Tagging is simple. Just put an @ symbol before my name. Example: [MENTION=96479]Angel[/MENTION]

To answer your question, I actually sat down and read Leviticus several times before I started to study it. Off the top of my head, I think the first 6 or 7 chapters are about the sacrificial system. If you go back to Exodus, you'll remember that all of the tribes were to inherit a portion of the land. However, the Levite's did not inherit any land. Instead, they were to administer God's word to the people. Actually, only the line of Aaron, the brother of Moses could serve at the Altar, but the rest of the Levites were to be teachers among the tribes. Yes, this means that Moses was a Levite. If you read Leviticus, you'll see that part of the offering or sacrifice was given to the priests as their portion.

Do you remember the story of Hannah when she got so excited because the Lord had blessed her with a son she named Samuel? Read the story in 1 Samual and take note: 24 And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the Lord in Shiloh: and the child was young.

In short, it was celebration time! Those bulls were shared among the community and to give you an idea how many people attended just think how many people two bulls would have fed (in the event one bull was used as the burnt offering)

Later in the chapter we see the son's of Eli were dipping their forks into the boiled meat which was detestable because that was not the portion alloted to them.

When you read the first few chapters of Leviticus, notice the free will offering. That's what Hannah was offering and it was to be eaten in community.

What I've learned through Jewish studies is they don't look at the word sacrifice as something one gives up or looses. We think in terms of "I'll sacrifice (lose) a finger to save an arm". That's not how the Jews understand the word. They understand the word sacrifice as a positive word that simply means "To draw near to God".

With this in mind, what do you think about Ephesians 5:1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

If we can better understand the distinctions between an offering and a sacrifice, the above verse takes on a whole new meaning.

Hope this helps!

Well, the question I have then. Job sacrificed for his Children, would that be one animal per child, or one cover the whole group? Assuming Job was following sacrifice rules, He had to get the idea from somewhere.

Thank you..

Mike.

Very interesting! Do you read and write Hebrew?

Unfortunately no I don't. I tried learning ancient Hebrew years ago but didn't follow through but I have a basic grasp, mainly that it's pictograph which means it's kinda like Egyptian where each letter is really a picture that represents an item which has a particular trait attached to it.

Well, the question I have then. Job sacrificed for his Children, would that be one animal per child, or one cover the whole group? Assuming Job was following sacrifice rules, He had to get the idea from somewhere.

Thank you..

Mike.

Mike,
Job is more of a Mashal, so the details you ask really don't lend to the thrust of what's trying to be portrayed in the story. In Short, Job sacrificing for his children was a sign of his religious zeal which affirmed God's claim, "A man who feared God". Job played by the religious rules because he was locked into them and thought righteousness came by way of obeying them. In short, his actions were wrote and only addressed the rites and rituals which never addressed, let alone changed the heart of his children or the true purpose of sacrifice which means to draw near God, not "Pay a debt" as a legal transaction.

When you say "sacrifice rules", your assuming the Mosiac "rules" I take it? When I ponder what you've asked, I ask myself, Did Melchizedek play by those same rules? What about Cain and Able? More importantly, where did Melchizedek, Cain or Able get their idea of sacrifice from and where is it documented? How about Noah when he offered his burnt offering? Job was a Gentile and not under the Sinia Covenant which ratified the Mosiac law so as such, I really don't know specifically what his system looked like and we really don't have any way to tell because that's not the important part of the story. Make sense?

In Leviticus 4 we see a sin offering for the sins of the community that were committed unintentionally, but when we read Job, we get the since that Job is offering for them for something that they may have done wrong whether they meant to or not. In that sense, it would like me stealing from Fred, then you come along and say, "Will you forgive Stovebolts because he stole from you?". That kind of smacks against the grain when it comes to Torah because you may be able to offer a sin offering for me for something I did wrong that I didn't know was wrong, but it's only after my awareness of it being wrong does the sacrifice really come into effect. Not only that, but I've got to offer a burnt offering and that's' usually with a guilt offering. Jesus pretty much sums it up when he says if you have a problem with your neighbor, go make peace with your neighbor and then come to the Altar. It's the way of Torah. Simply put, there is accountability for ones actions both to God and to man. It's like if I do you wrong but I never ask you for forgiveness and instead I go to God and ask his, well, first of all my sin wasn't against God, it was against you... So I have to start by asking you for forgiveness because it was you I trespassed. Then I can go to God for forgiveness. Job bypasses this whole process as Job is written. Again, little detail is given about the sacrifices to Job because that's not what's in focus. What is in focus is that Job is a man stuck in fear of the Lord and because he is stuck in fear, he has no love for the Lord.

Are you starting to see why your question gets harder and harder to answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
StoveBolts:
Are you starting to see why your question gets harder and harder to answer?

Ummm. I understand what your saying and thank you for all the study and understanding of this subject. Job scarified out of fear of loss. He was doing something to prevent something through fear. I see your point that the Sacrifice was not with something to prevent later but an offering for sin and not in a prayer type way that expected something our out of fear. That could be the reason I could not pinpoint it. Normally each person brought something according to ability, flour not contaminated being the least. One person did not come and sacrifice for everyone while the rest stayed home and fished.

Thank you Brother, if anyone could have answered that for me it would be you. I guess I'll mark it as we will know it all later category.

Blessings.
Mike.

Brother Mike,

I just re-read my last post. Sure am glad you were able to make sense of it lol! I didn't do a very good job articulating it lol!

Back