Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Overcoming fear?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I heard they teach soldiers to be brave and courageous by telling them to "act like it". So you act as if you are fearless...and soon you will be. Placing your trust into God is a good place to start.

I heard they teach soldiers to be brave and courageous by telling them to "act like it". So you act as if you are fearless...and soon you will be. Placing your trust into God is a good place to start.
I have never heard that for soldiering, fake it till you make it. courage is one of the seven army values.

Your right Jasonc , as a teacher in PNG my trainee students used to teach in the classrooms with bullets coming into the bamboo walls....One student teacher lost his Uncle from bullets....I told them they were in a better situation than we on a different island. Why they asked? Because when you prayed your prayers were real, and your GOD real, but here in peace, sometimes our prayers seem vague.

Part of FEAR Jasonc is the thoughts divide between Jesus and ourselves as human powered entities.

Mt 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Keeping our minds focused on Jesus during tribulations is the key....Fear is the opposite of doing this.
Hope this helps with clarification
Shalom

Ironically it is fear of the Lord that helps us over come "fear" in the natural sense or phobia as it is also termed.
The reason why I consider myself "very smart" this morning is because I just happened to do ansignment on this very topic recently which was dealing with the Judgement Of God.In my diggings on1 Peter 1:17 which was up for discussion which reads "Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially , live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear(my emphasis)."NIV

Faith and respect are part of this fact as has already been pointed out.However this comment presented by Wayne Grudem Tyndale Commentaries ,seems to make sense to me .He quotes Leighton also a reputable Scriptural authority:
"The fear here recommended is ...a holy-selfsuspicion and fear of offending God, which may not only consist with assured hope of salvation , and with faith , and love, and spiritual joy,but is their inseparable companion...

This fear is not cowardice;it doth not debase, but elevates the mind; for it drowns all lower fears, and begets true fortitude and courage to encounter all dangers, for the sake of a good conscience and the obeying of God."
Some might find this quite useful to know.

Last edited:
I think that fear is the lack of faith.

Possible........ Scripture says that perfect love overcomes fear, as fear hath torment. (1 John 4:18)

Love works faith (Gal 5:16)

Where fear is present and active (See below) then it's a love issue.

Real fear is believing natural circumstances over what God actually said. Israel did not enter into the promise land because of this, it cost them. (Heb 3:19)

Fear is a belief of something bad coming to pass in the future. It's opposite of Faith in What God said. For God said I will perfect that which concerns you. (Psa 138:8)

Active fear that kills is acting and/or speaking as if the fear will come to pass. It's a inner belief system that acts. Faith without works is dead as is fear without works.

fear is a belief that responds. It's not a feeling. Flesh can feel goosebumps and weak stomach due to thoughts, but it's just thoughts. One still has a right to speak what they believe and act as what God said is true as that is what they actually believe. Despite how one feels, fear will have no place to bring to pass, as what God said can't be changed and is eternal.

Fear and faith cannot exist simultaneously. They are almost identical except one is negative and one is positive.

All this talk about fear, isn't fear caused by a chemical reaction in the brain when you think you're in danger?

I was told by a doctor the reason people have panic attacks is because people think there in danger when their not, but the brain still release's those chemicals thus causing the panic attack sensation.

All this talk about fear, isn't fear caused by a chemical reaction in the brain when you think you're in danger?

I was told by a doctor the reason people have panic attacks is because people think there in danger when their not, but the brain still release's those chemicals thus causing the panic attack sensation.

The chemicals may not be the stimulus to take fear of something but rather the reason they get the sensation once the stimulus is introduced.

I think talking about fear and anxiety in terms of poorly understood brain chemistry isn't helpful. From a Christian perspective, fear is part of man's sinful nature (except for the fear of God, which is the beginning of all wisdom). Have no worry for the morrow, for each day brings with it troubles of its own...decent paraphrase, I think.

I was hooked on Klonopin as a teenager because of my fear. I'm now a much less anxious, agitated creature, mostly because of God's work in my life. He has given us a spirit not of timidity, but of a sound mind...

... isn't fear caused by a chemical reaction in the brain when you think you're in danger?
Quite the opposite. It is fear which causes chemical reactions within the human body and therefore you have either a "fight" or "flight" reaction. Fear prepares the body for either alternative.

God's will for Christians is to be always courageous, and He gives us many reasons to be so. One of the best passages to memorize is Isaiah 41:10:
1. Fear thou not; for I am with thee: (God's constant presence)
2. be not dismayed; for I am thy God: (God's personal relationship)
3. I will strengthen thee; (God's almighty power)
4. yea, I will help thee; (God's tender care for His children)
5. yea, I will uphold thee (God's unfailing sustenance)
6. with the right hand of my righteousness. (God's absolute righteousnes).
So if your focus is on God and nothing else, it is impossible to be fearful.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back